Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I cannot describe how sad I am to have missed signup.

Stupid UK.

Replacement list please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SalTheBard posted:

Put me on replacement list, and I'll swap with someone else. Potentially 3 games @ same time might break my head.

<3 Can I take this swap spot?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Sal you are the best and I will give you a good role in DBZ Mafia 2.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CapitalistPig posted:

You are in from Max stepping out

and

You are in from Sal giving up his spot.

Amazing.

Now all you need to do is give me my boy Rude.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I can confirm.

That I'm a character from FFVI.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

I can confirm.

That I'm a character from FFVI.

WAIT NO

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

Biggs and Wedge also appear in FF7!

But are they the /same/ Biggs and Wedge.

Or do the names Biggs and Wedge confer earlygame side character status?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Asiina posted:

I don't think this is a productive ~*~TRACK~*~ of discussion.

You better ****WATCH**** yourself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm going to vig Cpig.

Because it rhymes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

that has nothing in common with the vig situation! The TV thing didn't either! If English didnt have such dumb non-phonetic spelling anyway, there wouldn't even be any question about it being shortened to vij!

This is disingenuous!

Quiet Bi Fox Nen

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
NOT JERRY

NOT JERRY

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

tithin posted:

Wrong

Bif is the person who becomes state governer and commissars her hand picked ally

And hires her opponent's husband.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

wait what I never read that particular fanfic

It's not a fanfic. :wiggle:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

tithin posted:

If you could catapult anyone today, who would it be

Everyone!

EVERYONE

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

what harm can a catapult even do, I just shrugged off the sun going supernova this morning

Everyone shrugged off a supernova sun, it's not that hard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

AAAAAH Emerald Weapon right next to me when I go out again

Are you a submarine?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Asphyxious posted:

Been reading up on FF7 to get more into this; if one of the mini games is chocobo breeding I might scream.

It's Chocobo inbreeding.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Asphyxious posted:

I’ve bought FF7 and will be playing it FOR THE FIRST TIME along with this game to see what all the hype is about.

How long before my guy appears in this game.

Are you playing on PC or Console?

I ask because there are some texture/sound mods for PC that make the game look and sound a lot nicer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Podima posted:

what the gently caress are you doing

don't taint The FF7 Experience

But awful midi sound isn't the true FF7 experience.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

King Burgundy posted:

Is ff7 actually good? Like not nostalgia good but if released today good? Curious if it should be on my play list. Not that that means anything with how backlogged I am.

So I played FF7 for the first time when I was what? 22?

So that's around 15 years after the original release.

Simply put it holds up really well. I'd caveat that if a turn based combat game isn't for you then there's nothing that can be done and you'll not enjoy the game, but if you're okay with that then it's just really consistently good.

The progression systems it has behind it are engaging without being confusing, the plot itself is good in broad strokes but excels specifically with its character development and genuinely benefits from one of the best opening acts in all of gaming.

There's a lot of weird JRPG poo poo that over the years has been chipped away, so you can miss giant upgrades if you don't do things in a specific order etc. But that's remedied fairly easily by one of the thousand non spoiler guides the game has. Oh and you ideally want to play without grinding/keeping exp gain at a minimum to maintain the challenge.

It's not a game I'd play twice, but it's a game I'd sorely regret not having played once.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

we should just lynch a lurker then

Booooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

whats more boring than a lurk2win game

A game where we don't have anything to say because we keep lynching nerds with no actual affect on the thread!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

i dont mean every day. day 1 lynches are a wash anyway, and it could be telling to see why people wouldn't want to kill a certain lurker

This sounds dangerously like early mafia Yorkshire Tea talk.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Juchero posted:

i dunno none of it feels natural to me

I actually agree with you. We've kinda stormed straight through jokephase a lot earlier than I would have anticipated, which seems odd to me.

The thing is, if you're anti-town and driving this, I don't understand what exactly you get out of it. imo that's probably the more interesting puzzle at this point in time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Put me up there with scum and I won't complain!

Is your heart really in this vote, Bif? Because your head sure isn't.

"Let's kill Tobbs to see if his opinions on tithin/Asphyxious are genuine."

They are. But in my experience nobody cares about your opinions after you're dead.

Like the literal first thing I do every time someone dies is reread all their interactions based on their flip.

Your opinions literally become vastly more valuable when you die because they contain solid information.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I said, "In my experience."

I can't really say more than that due to ongoing games etc.

Your experience is wrong.

And you should feel wrong.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

my heart and head aren't in actually lunching you just yet, but they are with voting you to see what you sound like

Yes they are.

Give in.

Give in to the anger.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

:dance:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Asiina posted:

Yeah theoretically your cases after you die are useful, but in practice people are lazy assholes and nobody does anything with it.

Also being town doesn't make you or your cases right.

I've never been right about anything in my life.

I do damnit.

In my day people played Mafia properly. :catbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Juchero posted:

why are we murdering tobbs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZvqzvQVtw&t=79s

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

flerp posted:

this is what a survivor would say :tinfoil:

It's what a scum player would say too!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

b-minus1 posted:

200+ posts on d1 since I last checked the thread Did I miss anything

We tried some turbos, there was a weird argument about pressure on Bif.

Jokephase is gone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Podima posted:

This feels like Jafarposting, especially the first line.

As much as I love this phrase, I'm confused. Jokephase did end a lot faster than I'd expect out of a 3 day D1.

Chances are that it's nothing, but I'd still want it on record that it was something I noticed.

I think what's more interesting is how we transitioned back into a second jokephase shortly after I made those comments.

Again, probably all coincidents, I don't buy scum having that much control over the thread yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hey I’m in this game I guess! I will catch up today while not caring about the super bowl

Hal not on a plane somewhere?

Sus as gently caress.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

b-minus1 posted:

Anyone rooting for the patriots deserves to be dayvigged imho

I support the Patriots.

The only state in the U.S. I ever lived in was Vermont.

Come at me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I saw Pod's posts and immediately came away with a town impression of him. Mind you, I also have a strong town impression of you. I think going after a question mark approaches YPM-level paranoia. More importantly, he came in with at least reasonable reads of multiple players.

Playing boldly like that is usually a bad idea for scum. I'm also not a huge fan of the fact that me, you, and (only by votefinder's namesorting, Pod) are the vote leaders, when one thing we have in common is that we're putting reads out there.

We're punishing participation, and while it's days too early to start looking at "lurkers" jokephase died a quick death and we definitely have players letting us know they're around without letting their opinions be known.

That being said, I'll second Pod on poking Moat, as he's usually got good opinions as town, and while he's funny as all hell he skates by easily as scum just because he's goddamn adorable.

##vote Moat

This is an overreaction. Nobody's actually got any real momentum on them at the moment, the people with votes are prolific posters, yes, but the most we've got is 3 on Bif and I think that's because of jokeposting in the earlygame.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

He's not really commenting on Your casing of him.

Looks like he surfaced out of jokephase to respond a little but then dove back in.

I'd feel better about him if he put a serious vote on YPM, as he's said people tossing out meta reads this early are scummy (and YPM's "case" on me is a combination of a meta read plus him thinking...that I believed he was legit cop-claiming, and also that I'm scum who openly scumclaimed in response to an emptyvote on me).

Things that stand out to me are the return to jokephase/jokevoting after posting seriously, and ignoring YPM's meta case on me to focus on you (though tbh I scrutinize posts targeting me more as well). His most recent posts seem more serious, I'd like to hear his opinion of Pod that he's hinted at, as I can't really see a reason to hold something like that back.

So the return to jokephase struck me as really odd as well.

So I went and had a look at it:

Natural 20 posted:

Like the literal first thing I do every time someone dies is reread all their interactions based on their flip.

Your opinions literally become vastly more valuable when you die because they contain solid information.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I said, "In my experience."

I can't really say more than that due to ongoing games etc.

Natural 20 posted:

Your experience is wrong.

And you should feel wrong.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Lol.

TBQH it doesn't matter. Scum can use your cases probably better than town can, as they know who to target.

It's us, just that seems to have been enough to lighten the tone enough that people start making jokes again.

I suspect therefore it was just an accident of timing as opposed to anything else.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Maybe a misinterpretation, but I don't think it's an overreaction. Some players (scum and town) will come into a big game like this, skim the vote leaders, and drop a vote on whoever they're feeling more. Jokephase is dead and gone.

Hey, I could be wrong and none of us will end up on the block, but most mafia players are lazy, and often players who are painfully town end up lynched just because moving votes to a new target seems a sisyphean task.

I mean that's true, but I feel like over the next day or so you guys will probably have the most impact on where the vote is likely to end up. Mafia players are lazy, but usually that just means that high volume players end up dictating tactics.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Juchero posted:

tru again

unfortunately i didn't pick the target

now i feel a little bad

Once I would have been tempted to let something like this go as just someone doing something silly d1.

You need to explain why exactly you chose your, in more detail than "they were lurking"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the Pod vote is a gamble. I didn't really like his drive by earlier in the thread, notably I responded:

Natural 20 posted:

As much as I love this phrase, I'm confused. Jokephase did end a lot faster than I'd expect out of a 3 day D1.

Chances are that it's nothing, but I'd still want it on record that it was something I noticed.

I think what's more interesting is how we transitioned back into a second jokephase shortly after I made those comments.

Again, probably all coincidents, I don't buy scum having that much control over the thread yet.

And got nothing in return. The note from Pod didn't revolve around the legitimacy of my arguments so much as a character definition that only three people in game are likely to meaningfully understand, unless everyone went through the effort of reading a month's worth of chat between myself and Bif over the course of soldiers.

With that being said, Pod's contributing, which means if he is scum he'll give us enough thread with which to hang him later. The gamble comes with leaving a potential scum alive to influence people later on in the game. Surprisingly easy, especially in large games where people just tend to forget about a lot of what was said in prior days and tunnel their specific targets.

Honestly, in most games it's a gamble I'd happily take, but I note this:

King Burgundy posted:

I think my thoughts are out there on the top contenders already. I'd also be down for voting anyone who doesn't have any thoughts out there as we get closer to deadline. Lurkers/Content lurkers/etc. This game has no lurker rules, so we have to self police.

I have D&D tonight, so if we can consolidate earlier than actual deadline rather than scrambling at the last minute, that would also be cool.

I had assumed that we were applying the 10 post 2 strikes system, but since we're apparently not, we profit greatly from going after lurkers, since there's literally no incentive for them to post otherwise.

I'm happy going after a lurker, I'd want to check up postcounts/do a quick readthrough before I threw down a vote.

• Locked thread