Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Confirming my pre-sign up, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Confirming not doom house

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

Confirming also doom house

I even have live video of myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abnkwyKRqWo

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

But are they the /same/ Biggs and Wedge.

Or do the names Biggs and Wedge confer earlygame side character status?

Like gilgamesh, I prefer to believe they are all the same, immortal, character(s) in each game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

You better ****WATCH**** yourself.

What’s up, ************************doc*******************?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I hope there’s an obliterator standing by to destroy all these obvious cop trueclaims

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asphyxious posted:

DayVij sounds dumb as hell what the poo poo Bif

:agreed:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

##vote Tide Podima

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

I told you Cait Sith sucked!

which one tho

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

tithin posted:

It's big enough

:btroll:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

vote for Truth Quark so he gets some actual pressure, it's the first serious attempt at a case all game

Neato!!

I dunno, I was getting a sense of overcompensating from him (you really need 2 reasons for your jokephase vote?) but the joke with forensic linguistics after you started on him made the whole thing feel more genuine

Did not love how you jumped on while cheering Gaspy on (I want to see where this goes is the exact kind of unneeded justification I dislike) so I feel like maybe you’re a better avenue to explore

##vote Bifauxnen

As for the more important topic, yeah, FF7 is a legitimately great game, it’s basically the last final fantasy (9 maybe excluded) that straddled the line between overly serious anime garbage and the series’ relatively wacky early RPG roots. (Okay ff6 is serious but it’s also not really the same kind of serious, the sprites make everything a bit more charming.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

tithin posted:

Gaspy's wrong more often than he's right with his linguistics :ssh:

Nice to know, though I was actually referring to TQ’s jokething where he bolded SCU (and added M) to the phrase, made what he was doing feel less like it was deliberately trying to appear casual with his vote in jokephase

That kind of anxious “will my joke be seized on? Better be sure I’m anonymous but also present” is a feeling I tend to experience as scum, so I assume it’s the same for other people

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Gene - you're voting for me but it sounds like you're a bit suss on Gaspy too?

I noticed Gaspy going all "hmmm" when TQ first voted for me. It did seem like one of the flimsier jokevotes on me. But I didn't really think much of it since it was still firmly jokephase and still a lot of votes shy of needing to worry about sorting out who's serious yet. But I liked that Gaspy seemed to be keeping an eye out for that poo poo already.

When Gaspy thought one of TQ' s jokevotes was pinging him again though, I got a bit curious. Gaspy can sometimes be shockingly on point even early on in Mafia. It's worth trying to see if there's something there. Now although you said I "jumped on" to vote TQ, Gaspy hadn't even bothered to yet. I thought it was worth actually placing one and saying it was serious to see what reaction it got, instead of just sitting around saying how many pings you're racking up. People are throwing votes around for way less than that just to joke around, so why hesitate?

Funny isn't it though, how just one serious vote gets people worried somehow but me sitting here with 5 is like, whatever.

I gotta enjoy some of the irony here of you saying this while I'm just going whole hog on jokephase and racking up the most votes

ooh, wordwallwars, I missed this, gonna respond in rough order

So what you're saying is...you followed gaspy on a minor suspicion, but don't understand why I might have said that you jumped on after him? I'd think it's rather obvious.

I'm not suspicious of Gaspy right now, not sure where you got that from. His case of "this pinged me" isn't unbelievable, and hell, I even pointed out what pinged me about TQ. A different thing of TQ's assuaged that, and so I gently disagree with your Auspal, but suspicious of him? nah.

You had the only real vote in the game, why on earth would anyone care about jokevotes? You're at 2 votes, assuming tobbs is picking up on a thing (which...I dunno?), not 5. We're out of jokephase, kinda, sorta, so don't start equating things like that

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

tobbs what are you trying to accomplish here, I'm curious

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hey, tithin, why were you discouraging people from voting or scumhunting D1?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

it's day 1 now gene.

it sure is

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

tithin posted:

This is disingenuous

I didn't like how people were joke vote bandwagoning on someone, less than 24 hours into day one, with 53 hours of the vote remaining

that's it

I was actually asking about this metagaming post:

tithin posted:

seriously folks, day 1, if you think "I'VE GOT SOMETHING" you're probably loving wrong because it's day one and the odds of dunking a scum on day one is slim to gently caress all

but sure, there was definitely a joke vote bandwagon with all 3 (and maybe 4 I have no clue why tobbs is doing what he's doing) joke votes on bif

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Truth Quark posted:

I will say that anyone trying to comment on meta at this stage of the game is trying real hard to make up some opinions though. Its not just D1 its D1 where most of the posting has been joke posting and friendly chatting about FFVII.

Like I'm legit squinting at people who are coming up with HARD CALLS already because what

no one has made any hard calls on anything, except tithin and TM on disliking D1

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

King Burgundy posted:

BTW, I thought Gaspy was Venom Soag? Is Asphy also Venom Soag? Or did I just misunderstand people calling him that in Soldiers?

same dude

Asphyxious=asphyxiation=gasping for breath=gaspy

soag is a metal gear themed alt, bif has one too as does birdstrike (kind of)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

Let he who hast never done an impulsive vig cast the first vote.

Does an impulsive, day-ending forced lynch count? Because I've done that one.

##vote Pod. For real this time, not just to add a tide pod joke to his list of aliases. Definitely feeling better about Bif now that she's gotten going on her own and started examining posts for logical discrepancies, think Pod somehow coming out of things with a townread on TQ and a fairly weak strike on Gaspy for being suspicious of TQ to the point of nominal certainty is poor.

Here's TQ's contributions, incompletely but accurately summarized:

- jokevote on Bif
- doubly joking vote on tobbs (felt to me, as I've said, like scum trying to blend in and overdoing it)
- more jokes
- another joke, post-a bit of suspicion (feels better, jokes seem less calculated if they're continuing after pressure is happening.)
- yet another joke, this time kinda out of jokephase
- This: "I'm gonna be honest, I haven't played FFVII (queue dogpile of votes), so yeah I haven't participated in the FFVII friend chat that has dominated the game so far. I also don't mind going out D1, but only because it would give Gaspy a nice big data point against his F O R E N S I C L I N G U I S T I C S nonsense." (Not a fan of him preemptively excusing non-participation in jokephase [since it stacks with my feeling that he was overly concerned about his appearance in the phase], not sure how I feel about the fatalist bit.)
- A general "screw you" to KB but phrased a bit vaguely, a misrepresentation of Bif and Gaspy's thoughts on him as SUPER HARD CASING
- Oh wait okay it's just phrasing differences, scratch that feeling on the last bit.
- some fluffposts (I hope like hell y'all know what this means because I'm already refraining from referring to jokephase as RVS and don't want to have to change more of my mafia lexicon)
- jokevote on YPM
- complete lack of care at Gaspy going after him
- has a Pod theory, isn't sharing it (why?)
- "look at all the lurkers!", he cried
- our dayvig is too dumb to be scum (uh...)

I'm kinda back to suspicion about his jokephase activity, though that's not really a wall I'm comfortable leaning against, and certainly not enough to want him lynched. The bit with phrasing issues reads genuine, but I'm not a fan of him explicitly not stating a position on Pod or implicitly calling out lurkers this early. Would say I've got a scum lean on him, overall, though nothing approaching a major read.

Anyway, back to Pod, who's suspicious of Gaspy for sounding certain about who he wants to lynch. That's... a real reach. Not even because I agree with Gaspy — I personally think that Gaspy is town, overreacting to someone being rude to his friend — but rather because the specific subject Pod is hitting on is the certainty part, not the poking at TQ, given Pod's read of "fine" on TQ. Jumping on his wording (certainty) rather than his content (his read on TQ) when you look set up to examine the latter is pretty dubious. That ties in with him saying he wants to reread, which...he has a handle on TQ, apparently (one that conflicts with mine), which should mean he has at least some handle on Gaspy's case (what little of it exists in wording rather than implication) on TQ, but Pod's only talking about the wording.

TL;DR: I think Pod is poking at the wrong part of Gaspy's stuff to be consistent with what is implied by his reading TQ as fine. He's talking about TQ, and he's talking about how Gaspy's framing his case on TQ, but he isn't actually talking about the case itself...which is rather necessary to judge the framing and/or TQ.

As such, Pod: Assuming for the moment that you really do need to reread, what do you actually think of Gaspy overall at this point? How about Bif?

Other things:
- tobbs doesn't seem like a jester, he seems like someone shitposting like someone who wants to look like a jester. It's weird and I can't get a read on it. He's gotten better though, the suspicion of Gaspy for waiting to drop a vote is a positive.
- YPM's case is absurd and honestly believing that anyone considered the possibility of an n0 cop is paranoid beyond belief. Still, it's very much a normal YPM move to get absolutely fixated on one thing D1 and just hammer it into dust, so it's null until we learn anything about his targets.
- Why am I cursed with D1 dayvigs? That shot was weird, stupid, and probably from town but...ongoing game, so I can't really contrast/compare it to Mr F's scum garbageposting power hour.
- Still not happy with tithin going full metagame-y "your D1 lynch cases are all awful, always", espeically when he's also freaking out of a 4 vote jokewagon (and a 1 real vote appendix). What's the problem with votes?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, figured out that part of the reason why I didn't get this case is I didn't realize the first section of bullets were in relation to TQ's posts, not Pod's :downs:

Related to your TL:DR, are there a specific couple of posts of Pod's that support this talking "around" the case? I didn't catch them on a quick skim but I don't have a ton of time to look at it right this second.

I probably phrased things poorly because I was tired, but here’s what I saw:

- Pod says TQ is fine.
- In the same post, Pod goes after Gaspy for being certain TQ is scum.
- in a different post, Pod says he has to reread the whole TQ/Gaspy/Bif thing
- missing: any comment on the content of Gaspy’s case.

So here are the possibilities re: this stuff, taking Pod at his word, as I see them:

1) Pod just skimmed. This is supported by his whole Bif question mark thing. In this world, his read on TQ is shallow and he needs to reread. Cool. But if he doesn’t get the case (since he can’t have delved into it), why is he talking about the case enough to shade someone for it? Is wording something strongly now inherently bad, in all D1 cases? (Here’s a big picture issue, that sums up my thoughts pretty well: No, how certain reads are always dependent on the case; if certainty and case strength don’t match up, there might be something there, but if they do, then it’s fine.)

2) Pod read a bit more than skimming. In this case, why only comment on the case strength wording, and not, y’know, the contents of the case? Why say you need to reread the whole interaction if you seem to know enough about the case to comment on Gaspy’s thoughts on it? If TQ is a townread, and you obviously don’t like the case, why are you focused on Gaspy being certain of it rather than the bad case itself?

3) Pod read a whole lot: Why not comment on the case? Why say you need to reread if you don’t?

I don’t like any of these possibilities, and I’m assuming for the moment that it’s ome of the first two (since if it’s 3, Pod is a lying dork and probably scum from that alone). In the first, Pod is calling out a case that he doesn’t get on a person he has a poor read of, for reasons (how strong the case is) that would require him to know the case. In the second, why is Pod not talking at all about how strong the case is, but still commenting (with suspicion) on how strong Gaspy thinks the case is?

Basically, and I’ll try to make my logic appear clearer (because loving hell, it’s also a mess in my head): the certainty someone has regarding a case is only a problem if the case is bad, but Pod didn’t actually talk about whether the case was bad. In all scenarios I can think of, Pod should either have no opinion on the case or should actually mention it. He’s calling out Gaspy for a scumtell that doesn’t exist in the abstract.

Hal, I meant that Gaspy was nominally certain, as in he was basically certain that the TQ lynch was good (and thus, that TQ was scum.)

gently caress, now my head hurts.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gaspy from a quick scan I don’t think NGO has a single non-joke post in this entire game, what intent are you even talking about

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

even if they do have the exact same motives and intentions, doing so through lurking like hell and doing so while giving us actual posts to go on is still a very big difference in playing style. Even if you dont agree for some reason that it's a relevant difference, it's kind of silly for you to act like it's some totally unthinkable way to react to your post.

Okay Bif you seem to get Gaspy, how is he reading any motives at all into NGO making 6 fluffposts

What am I missing here

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Do you mean tithin?

No I dislike tithin for different reasons*, I mean Gaspy going on about motives and intent while the only intent I can think of for NGO is a completely generic, mafia 101 “why might a player lurk and fluffpost” seminar that says nothing about alignment

Bifauxnen posted:

you're missing nothing, I think he's being scummy :v:

Oh okay cool

* this post in particular, an argument against any voting or casing at all on D1, being argued at a time when there was a grand total of 1 real vote on the lynch leader

tithin posted:

seriously folks, day 1, if you think "I'VE GOT SOMETHING" you're probably loving wrong because it's day one and the odds of dunking a scum on day one is slim to gently caress all

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

##vote Little Mac

Don’t be an rear end in a top hat, dude

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Little Mac posted:

yes I was being an rear end in a top hat

Little Mac posted:

this again? Is it impossible for auspol folks to not be awful?

Bif getting angry and cursing at you isn’t great either but it was an exclamation point on her frustration, this is just a straight insult

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

bifs casing seems fine I don’t think little Mac is really reading

I voted for him because he was being mean, but yes, I agree, I think seizing on "everyone doing X is scummy" when X is not a thing that's inherently scummy is a thing scum do often to avoid actually reading people, I'd rather lynch him than NGO

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia edit:

NGO give me more opinions on people please, I'd like to get info out of you if people really would prefer you die than Lil' Mac or Tide Pod

Also fullclaim

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

Whoa now this is some nonsense hidden in the early kerfluffle. Characterizing Gaspy as afraid to commit to an opinion when he’s in the process of multi-posting about TQ is a stretch.

tobbs explained what he meant here, Gaspy didn't vote on TQ until after Bif did despite Gaspy starting things

Podima posted:

Coming back to what I affectionately termed Jafarposting - this is a lot of words to say, in fact, very little at all about the players in this game. It’s similar to what I recall you doing in Ma-chat when you were trying to rile Bif up towards a mis-execution by dispensing general criticism about the rest of the useless thread.

This is a good catch, meta whatever-the-heck aside

Looking back, don't love his stuff on you either, seems like a refusal to commit to an opinion on you more than honest thinking through your actions. "I have a scumread but I want to leave him alive, we'll learn more about him later" is not a good argument

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

you don't seem to have any problems with me doing it though? :v:

your love for Gaspy is well known and futile to argue against, YPM's valiant attempt aside

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

we probably have little choice but to slay NGO now

I think we can scrounge up a lynch of someone else in 3 hours

like, say, little "everyone agreeing with gaspy is suspicious" ("why?") "*complete silence*" mac

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

you literally just played a game where Bif argued passionately against your lynch while much of deadchat and half of your own thread thought you were scum

that's love, my friend, cherish it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

I think we can scrounge up a lynch of someone else in 3 hours

like, say, little "everyone agreeing with gaspy is suspicious" ("why?") "*complete silence*" mac

I just realized I mixed up the first bit it's "everyone agreeing with Bif on Gaspy" rather than what I wrote, which is, uh, almost the exact opposite

the second half of it holds though, it's the jumping in to call a nebulous amount of people scummy then jumping right back out instead of explaining why when asked that makes me suspicious of him

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

I just realized I mixed up the first bit it's "everyone agreeing with Bif on Gaspy" rather than what I wrote, which is, uh, almost the exact opposite

the second half of it holds though, it's the jumping in to call a nebulous amount of people scummy then jumping right back out instead of explaining why or who when asked that makes me suspicious of him

mafia edit

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

:laffo:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think a good lynch is ##vote Natural 20, and the 2 scumteam situation makes me want to look at Tired Moritz a fair bit (due to arcane vote position analysis magiqs), so he's here too. I'll look over Gaspy after those two, I think.

Nat20:

- Something that I think is a meta scumcall on TM (What is a Yorkshire Tea in this context, assuming it's not whatever Nat 20's kind have mid-afternoon?)
- Agreement with TQ that jokephase is dead, a kind of vague, blanket semi-clear of those driving us out of votephase* (that would be...Bif, Gaspy, and I guess me)
- Some metagaming nonsense and actual nonsense, questionable push (???) on tobbs
- commentary on game happenings
- metacommentary on D1, now it looks like he's casting aspersions on people driving us back into another jokephase but backs off it (vague, again.)
- supports actual evil
- Calling overreaction on tobbs on the latter's spec that the 3 most active people are the only ones with votes
- abandons thoughts on jokephase length, blames himself and tobbs (hmm.)
- more metagaming in response to tobbs talking about this particular game
- asks for more detail on juchero's target choice (god I hate D1 dayvigs, keep it in your pants, people)
- Doesn't like Pod,says voting for him is a gamble, gives a really questionable reason for it (oh Pod is metareading, that's bad...?), says Pod being left alive is fine since he'll reveal himself if he's scum, some metagaming. Ends with I'd vote for Pod, but because there are no lurker rules, I'll vote for a lurker, which...fair, I guess. (I think I misread this D1 and thought it was a bit more hesitant to vote Pod than it is)
- slamming that "kill lurker" button
- further undermines Bif undermining her own vote
- happy to jump on NGO
- I honestly can't follow what he's trying to argue about Pod here, I feel like the obvious answer of "you can't use my meta" just has no backing to it, not sure what time zone issues have to do with what Pod's doing
- raising hypotheticals on Pod, but b- case is good (so no vote? ?)
- setup spec
- more setup spec

Thoughts:
I don't actually see anything I particularly like here, and do see a bunch of stuff I dislike. There's a severe amount of metagaming in lieu of content, vanishingly little in the way of reads beyond a somewhat incoherent thing with Pod, multiple tossing of vague, non-specific reads on people (+ for ending jokephase, and - for returning to it; the latter is dropped once he realizes it was himself, but tossing suspicion out in the first place seems questionable). Really, he's only got one scumread, on Podima, and he isn't even voting for the guy.

Basically, I think he's scum.

TM:
- I'm pretty sure he's softclaiming his flavor but unless he's a chocobo I have no idea
- asks to lynch a lurker
- does the same "D1 lynches are always bad" sort of thing that made me suspicious of tithin in the first place (iirc, I'm not checking my posts but I think it was him discouraging voting/lynching D1, this is basically the same idea but expressed more subtly)
- sees "the case" on TQ
- slight defense of tithin
- more defense of tithin
- an extremely weak flailing in bif/gaspy's direction
- now weak flailing in Gaspy's defense
- more "kill a lurker", this sets of juchero, dayvig idiot man
- more "KILL LURKERS", this is a role madness game (is it?)
- votes NGO for "bad posts" and a metagaming read
- swaps to db
- weak defense of b-

Thoughts:
Ew. He's like my complete inverse, lots of weak whatever the hell flung in multiple directions with minimal backup, constant desire to lynch lurkers D1, lots of short defenses of people, minimal logic. I suspect that my dislike of his playstyle is driving this a bit, but I see a lot of poor (defense or casing) posts with little backing or explanation. Indeed, his strongest post is him over-justifying voting for a lurker. I think he's scum, specifically a turk.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia Edit:

I almost forgot:

Nat 20, what exactly is your issue with Podima? Also, do you have any reads on, well, basically anyone else?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

no youre wrong!!!

:australia:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

King Burgundy posted:

So I can't find a static vote count from anywhere near there and it makes me mad, but I stumbled on this and it made me feel better about my own mistake. :)

tithin was freaking out about 5 people voting for bif, 3 of whom were voting in jokephase and 1 of whom (tobbs) was, far as I can tell, voting either for kicks or to see where the pressure might go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, found Bif's post about that, but who else was on the board? Not currently thinking Tith was scum with Bif, so dunno what he'd be panicked about there.

I guess I'll have to manually compile it.

I think flerp and Little Mac had joke votes on her, I had an actual vote on her, tobbs had a ??? vote on her

I forget #5

• Locked thread