Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Handsome Ralph posted:

RE Veteran Owned Businesses chat, There's a BBQ chain in the DC/MD area called Mission BBQ. It's not too bad as far as chain BBQ goes but it's also got crazy over the top with "ARE TROOPS" stuff on the walls and what not.They apparently play the National Anthem every day at noon and everyone stops what they are doing for it. Sounds dumb as gently caress but fortunately I've never been there when it's happened.

I can't blame them too much as they've certainly found their target market but they still somehow manage to avoid touching any political poo poo so far as I can tell.

I think my biggest issue with the in your face type veteran owned businesses is that it just exacerbates the whole "us vs them" mentality against civilians, which is dumb as gently caress.

I agree about the "us vs them mentality" but not enough to avoid the"free lunch for your branch of service on wednesdays" deal

With some expections, "Pro" cop, lgbt, firefighter, vet, refugees, etc. business tend to be cool and good despite their chud maga-shitlord clientele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Nuclear War posted:

God loving drat it.

Jesus gently caress, this. My daughter and his daughter were talking about loose teeth and how they're growing up. gently caress me. They're absolutely sweet kids too. One of those "Fire and Water Damage Cleanup" services is parked in front of his house. Not good. Just gently caress all around.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

RE Veteran Owned Businesses chat, There's a BBQ chain in the DC/MD area called Mission BBQ. It's not too bad as far as chain BBQ goes but it's also got crazy over the top with "ARE TROOPS" stuff on the walls and what not.They apparently play the National Anthem every day at noon and everyone stops what they are doing for it. Sounds dumb as gently caress but fortunately I've never been there when it's happened.

I can't blame them too much as they've certainly found their target market but they still somehow manage to avoid touching any political poo poo so far as I can tell.

I think my biggest issue with the in your face type veteran owned businesses is that it just exacerbates the whole "us vs them" mentality against civilians, which is dumb as gently caress.

They cater a lot of my company events. They're pretty good BBQ. Never been to the actual place though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sacrist65 posted:

I agree about the "us vs them mentality" but not enough to avoid the"free lunch for your branch of service on wednesdays" deal

With some expections, "Pro" cop, lgbt, firefighter, vet, refugees, etc. business tend to be cool and good despite their chud maga-shitlord clientele.

Yeah, they do stuff for first responders (they include nurses in that designation IIRC, so that's neat) too. Like I don't give a poo poo about free meals and stuff for vets and first responders, that poo poo's more than fine by me. It's when they turn it into "UHH EXCUSE ME, YOU CAN'T EAT HERE UNLESS YOU'RE WILLING TO METAPHORICALLY BOW DOWN AND WASH THE FEET OF PFC SCHMUCKATELLI HERE AS HE ORDERS A SANDWICH!"

Honestly, give me a business that gives out free or discounted meals to public school teachers.

Vasudus posted:

They cater a lot of my company events. They're pretty good BBQ. Never been to the actual place though.

It's good stuff. Not something I would put against BBQ from NC or KC, but it's good and the price is right. Also helps that my fiance's father is able to get it for free due to some hook up he has with the owner or something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Turns out this describes the majority of the country!

Most of the population lives in urban centers, surely they have access to at least one roaster.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
See...you said "good" the first time, and that's probably the sticking point.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Syrian militants shot down a Russian jet, early reports that the piloted ejected and was killed on the ground.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah the one here advertises "National Anthem at 12pm every day" on their electronic sign like its a loving feature

Food is pretty decent though yeah

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoktorLoken posted:

Most of the population lives in urban centers, surely they have access to at least one roaster.

Yeah I'm not even in a coastal/lake megacity and there's probably 5-6 decent roasters here.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah the one here advertises "National Anthem at 12pm every day" on their electronic sign like its a loving feature

Food is pretty decent though yeah

Imagine finally seeing the waitress bringing your food to your table and then the national anthem starts and she stands there for three minutes while you just have to look at it 20 feet away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Burning Beard posted:

Jesus gently caress, this. My daughter and his daughter were talking about loose teeth and how they're growing up. gently caress me. They're absolutely sweet kids too. One of those "Fire and Water Damage Cleanup" services is parked in front of his house. Not good. Just gently caress all around.

Whoa, that sucks so much. Could you get in touch with his daughter's mother? (I hope I'm not overstepping with my question)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Imagine finally seeing the waitress bringing your food to your table and then the national anthem starts and she stands there for three minutes while you just have to look at it 20 feet away.

They actually do the assembly line thing where you order at the counter and they hand it to you but it works if you use the cooks and cashiers!

e: I assume, I've never been dumb enough to go in there near noon

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/pryan/status/959831598412656640

:lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What a loving chode.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Buying sugary milky rear end coffee at a store... lol

Loading Derail... Please Wait

Yeah I don’t drink coffee much either but I’m not gonna bitch about it like some loving Nancy boy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I also don’t know if I hate McConnell more or Ryan.

Also no it won’t cover your membership. 1.5 x 12 is not enough for either membership.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soulex posted:

Also no it won’t cover your membership. 1.5 x 12 is not enough for either membership.

x52

It still isn't much though

Flikken fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 3, 2018

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Soulex posted:

1.5x52= $78

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Torrannor posted:

Whoa, that sucks so much. Could you get in touch with his daughter's mother? (I hope I'm not overstepping with my question)

Actually his wife is handling everything right now, so I'm watching the kids. They're happily watching movies, they are so drat cute. She just called me so I'll have them as she wraps things up. It's all but confirmed right now that he shot himself. Goddammit so much. I watched the Squad pull his body out this morning. Gonna need a drink after the kids leave. Just gently caress. This is the guy who kicked the opoids that the VA gave him so he could get healthy. I know he used weed to help kill the pain. He just bought a new car and was in school perfecting his pottery. Was involved with helping down on their luck vets out. Just a great all around guy to have around. I'm in shock.

gently caress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Deleted, what was it?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

FrozenVent posted:

Deleted, what was it?

Paul Ryan giving a feel good story about a teacher who saw her pay go up $1.25 a week. Eat The Rich.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've literally waited in my car until 12:05 to avoid having to awkwardly stand for the national anthem while going there.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Burning Beard posted:

gently caress.

That's really loving terrible man, gently caress.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Screenshot of the tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/959844346865610752

Bonus Krang tweet:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/959853978224939008

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/959868240263606273

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/959818117122789376

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This would be hilarious if anything still mattered.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
In other current events, it looks like some Syrian rebels may have shot down a Russian jet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Flikken posted:

x52

It still isn't much though

poo poo I defaulted to month because that’s when I get paid. Yeah,bare minimum membership. If you spend a lot there, get the executive. You get cash back and they pretty much give you enough to renew your membership.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

I've literally waited in my car until 12:05 to avoid having to awkwardly stand for the national anthem while going there.

Kneel. gently caress anyone who says otherwise. If you aren’t in uniform, do whatever else. Plus it pisses conservatives off like whoa.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Groups like disgruntled veterans are also huge loving hypocrites who only support vets who meet their own personal criteria of what constitutes a "good vet" or some poo poo like that.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Untagged posted:

In other current events, it looks like some Syrian rebels may have shot down a Russian jet.

Couple of photos here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42932616

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

After just seven weeks, she could buy a whole banana!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Someone needs to sit trump diwn and make him watch threads

My gf has no appreciate of nukes. What's a good movie to introduce her to? Threads I guess? Wasn't there another

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Waroduce posted:

My gf has no appreciate of nukes. What's a good movie to introduce her to? Threads I guess? Wasn't there another

Just watch everything put out by Atom Central, Trinity and Beyond is a great starting point

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Waroduce posted:

The Day After, then Threads, then Command and Control.

If she's still not traumatized enough after that, On The Beach.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also lol at all these vets who apparently thought that being caught outside during reveille/retreat was an enjoyable experience.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Syrian militants shot down a Russian jet, early reports that the piloted ejected and was killed on the ground.

You'd think flying over Syria common sense would be to ride that bitch into the dirt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

The Day After, then Threads, then Command and Control.

If she's still not traumatized enough after that, On The Beach.

The original Fail Safe. Dr. Strangelove and War Games after that if she's still with you.

EDIT:vvvv forgot about that one. Yes, that before my silly suggestions.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Midjack posted:

The original Fail Safe. Dr. Strangelove and War Games after that if she's still with you.

https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

The War Game will gently caress you up.

• Locked thread