Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It also probably doesn't help that Roman will fire managers at the first sign of trouble. Like, they've had 7 different managers this decade, and that'll soon jump to 8 after Conte is inevitably let go. I feel like regardless of how good your players are, that much managerial instability is not going to translate into consistent good form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's always interesting when people come to the league and flop, they always have like that 3 week period where people are like 'oh man, he's good' then a couple weeks later they're absolute trash. Chelsea selling Matic is still so utterly baffling.

Wasn't that a move driven mainly by fiscal reasons and homegrown league requirements? From what I remember, the whole reason for adding people like Drinkwater and Barkley was to get enough English players back into the squad without violating PL rules. Plus, given how differently they have been spending compared to the past, it looks like the club have definitely tried to cut transfer spending in the short term.

I'm sure getting rid of Matic cleaned up some room in the wage bill and Matic has aged past that early-to-mid 20s sweetspot where most clubs expect a player to keep improving.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

It is also still tough to see Conte being sacked before they are out against Barca, which means they would have to get something out of City and United (along with WBA and Palace). It is a rough stretch even if everything was going right, but if they do drop 5 or so points out of the next 4 league games, they might be a bit off the pace.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

Wasn't that a move driven mainly by fiscal reasons and homegrown league requirements? From what I remember, the whole reason for adding people like Drinkwater and Barkley was to get enough English players back into the squad without violating PL rules. Plus, given how differently they have been spending compared to the past, it looks like the club have definitely tried to cut transfer spending in the short term.

I'm sure getting rid of Matic cleaned up some room in the wage bill and Matic has aged past that early-to-mid 20s sweetspot where most clubs expect a player to keep improving.

I'd have to imagine there was a foreign player on that squad worth jettisoning over Matic? Maybe not, looking at their roster last season. Crazy to think they sold Salah for 14.5 mill

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Most of their first 11 from their good run are injured. They're done. Just a bunch of poo poo cloggers now.

Have you sent Carvalhal your balls yet? He's earned it, I think

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
considering his time in Madrid, London, and Manchester, Mourinho must be one of the worst judges of talent in the modern game. his whole strategy is to succeed despite a limited squad, and he can’t identify ways to improve. he’s a sculptor, never a painter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Have you sent Carvalhal your balls yet? He's earned it, I think

I didn't post my balls as a reward.

And I still think we'll go down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/963389392747458560

Ryan mason has retired after cahill fractured his skull last year

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/963389392747458560

Ryan mason has retired after cahill fractured his skull last year

Man that’s a bummer.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

blue footed boobie posted:

Man that’s a bummer.

turn on your monitor haha

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

RideTheSpiral posted:

turn on your monitor haha

:megadeath:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dalewetter/status/963169829174824960

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lacazatte is out for a month

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's almost like Pulis is a good relegation avoiding manager or something.

Meanwhile Chelsea play Hull again on Friday, that could be... fun.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oliwan posted:

lacazatte is out for a month

Injured feelings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/13/sky-bt-sport-premier-league-tv-rights

quote:

The Premier League has announced details for five of the seven live television packages, with BT Sport and Sky paying a combined £4.464bn.

The deal means that Sky will host 128 matches starting from the 2019-20 season up to and including 2021-22, while BT Sport has purchased only one package so far of 32 matches.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dunno why amazon didn’t just buy it and make itself untouchable

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Even they probably can't throw around £6billion on essentially 1 TV show.

They've probably got some games from the other 2 packages.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Does that deal have any impact on how Americans watch EPL (which for me is all NBC Sports Network)?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Libertine posted:

Does that deal have any impact on how Americans watch EPL (which for me is all NBC Sports Network)?

No. NBC has an agreement ending after 2021-2022 season

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

psyer posted:

No. NBC has an agreement ending after 2021-2022 season

This is why amazon didn’t bite probably. The rights are all fractured between regions, whereas amazon would probably want at least USA & Europe, if not Asia too before it became worthwhile to them.

Also there are national blackouts in the UK that mean that more than half the games can’t be shown live at all.

Ah well, I’m morally against paying for Sky (or anything else associated with Rupert Murdoch), so this saves money at least.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

has BT dropped the number of games they're showing? cos if that's the case im dropping my bt sports sub

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looke posted:

has BT dropped the number of games they're showing? cos if that's the case im dropping my bt sports sub

I’m thinking the same. Shite value. All their games this year have been shite n all

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Looke posted:

from 19-20 yes, they are down to 32 games

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
I think the content sharing thingy comes in next season so you should be able to get sky content on BT and vice versa without having to sort out a second sub if you are on Sky or get the two channels on BT which might lower the price slightly.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fat gay nonce posted:

from 19-20 yes, they are down to 32 games

i thought it was more than that - still pretty poo poo in comparison to sky tho

i thought the content sharing was next year as well

i'll see how it goes when it comes to renewing my bt hopefully they'll give me a good enough offer to retain sports

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
There's still a couple of packages for sale though, yeah? From what I've read, the league set a reserve price on those that hasn't been met. They were hoping for Facebook or Netflix, etc to go in for them, but they haven't.

I assume if those are put back up for auction, Sky/BT could go in for them? My understanding is that they're full rounds of fixtures rather than one or two games a week, so may not make a huge impact.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Mickolution posted:

There's still a couple of packages for sale though, yeah? From what I've read, the league set a reserve price on those that hasn't been met. They were hoping for Facebook or Netflix, etc to go in for them, but they haven't.

I assume if those are put back up for auction, Sky/BT could go in for them? My understanding is that they're full rounds of fixtures rather than one or two games a week, so may not make a huge impact.

Sky has got 4 packages so far so they could get 1 more, no company can get more than 5.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Predictably, the content sharing deal does not apply to Ireland :argh:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

julian assflange posted:

Predictably, the content sharing deal does not apply to Ireland :argh:

Shite.

Possibly something to do with a huge amount of people (anyone on Virgin Media) unable to access BT at all. At least we get poo poo 3pm kickoffs, though...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he doesn't say anything controversial but i hope this causes it to kick off next time

https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/964501851671531520

https://twitter.com/WBA/status/964504483253207040

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 16, 2018

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Apparently they stole a taxi to get home at 5am

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Apparently they stole a taxi to get home at 5am

It's even better, they tried to go to some clubs but they were all shut because it was 4am so bailed to Maccy D's. They then left in the taxi but without the taxi driver, dumped it at the hotel and went to bed.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are the clubs closed at 4am

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Jose posted:

he doesn't say anything controversial but i hope this causes it to kick off next time

https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/964501851671531520

He's not fam, blud.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I think he's misplacing his criticism, here.

There is no one on this planet that loves having a moan and sharing, commiserating, wallowing in it, than the English.

Robbie has identified this and has monetized it.

It's not Robbie's fault that Arsenal has been a bit poo poo, and easy to complain about.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
how long has he been in London, his English is great. I can hear a London accent more than his Spanish

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

EvilHawk posted:

It's even better, they tried to go to some clubs but they were all shut because it was 4am so bailed to Maccy D's. They then left in the taxi but without the taxi driver, dumped it at the hotel and went to bed.

Even better yet, apparently it was Gaz Baz and Jonny Evans, two men in their mid-thirties, who did it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I think he's misplacing his criticism, here.

There is no one on this planet that loves having a moan and sharing, commiserating, wallowing in it, than the English.

Robbie has identified this and has monetized it.

It's not Robbie's fault that Arsenal has been a bit poo poo, and easy to complain about.

Yeah I don’t really understand the complaint. People like to bitch about their lovely teams. This gives them a platform for their bitching, and someone makes money for providing a service. The only people that get harmed are the lovely players, and they could correct it all by being less lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Even better yet, apparently it was Gaz Baz and Jonny Evans, two men in their mid-thirties, who did it.

I'm their age and I wish I could go clubbing in Spain and steal a taxi

• Locked thread