Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011
(thread re-made because it was in the wrong forum. Sorry for the spam folks)

Who wants a throne made of ugly swords anyway?

Opening recruitment for a new pbf of Game of Thrones, as we did a few times before. Expect me to screw up combat calculations a few times, and forget to remove orders from the map, but I'm told people had fun.

This time around we will be using the Dance with Dragons expansion. It comes with a crazy start situation:

and even crazier House Cards. Because of the advanced start, the game also only lasts a maximum of six turns.

Check out the first thread for my rather poor summary of the rules, if you think you might find it useful. Quick links:
Rulebook
Comprehensive summary and reference
FAQ
List of Wildling cards
Contents of Westeros decks

Opening recruitment for now, it will last at least two days, possibly a few more, depending on how much interest there is. This game cannot work with less than 6 players. Pththya-lyi is guaranteed a slot, as reigning champion, and people who weren't in the last game will be given priority.

The Hall of Champions:
Mikey Purp of House Tyrell - thread
GutterOwl of House Greyjoy - thread
Pththya-lyi of House Stark - thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm down. Someday I will do decent. Someday.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

As I said in the misplaced thread, I'm in as a seat filler!

(preferably the seat with all the swords)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm a masochist, so let's do this!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thanks for running these, Dancer.

I guess I'm in. It wouldn't be sporting not to give everyone a chance to get beat again. :smugdog: (Mods make a smug direwolf, thx.)

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Sign me up. I watched the whole of the last game and thought it was glorious.

Never done this Dance of Dragons version before, but I'll try my hand at driving an ancient noble lineage to complete ruin over the course of six turns.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If you're anything like me, you can do it in 3 turns.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Just don't ever muster and you'll be fine.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think we just need one more?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yup, I will advertise a bit more soon. Who wouldn't want to dance with dragons?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey friends, I'm afraid it's looking like this game won't happen for now. I've posted enough in the thread and Discord that I don't want to harass people with more advertising. I will of course keep the thread open, and if we do get a 6th player then we're off to the races, but if it doesn't work out I'll make sure to keep all of you in mind and message you in a month or two when I try again.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
This game is based on Diplomacy?

I'm madly in love with Diplomacy.

... Passable knowledge of Game of Thrones...

Still need someone?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

We definitely need somebody. Somebody to love.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

The General posted:

We definitely need somebody. Somebody to love.

I mean, I don't really know you yet. But, maybe we can ... work up to love? You know just, kinda, take it slow?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
:toot: The game may begin!

KhediveRex, from your phrasing I'm assuming you haven't actually played this before. I made an attempt to summarize the rules somewhere on the first page of the first thread, though in hindsight I don't consider that I've done a particularly good job. There is also a fairly good, albeit not complete, tutorial video here. I think my recommendation would be watch that video to get a grasp of mechanics, then glance through either my summary or the rulebook to try to fill gaps. You are of course free to also ask me any questions via Discord.

Speaking of, by the grace of the mods, we have again been granted a separate channel on the Discord. For the new people, here's an invite if you need it https://discord.gg/DWnexP3 ; I'm sure we'll be conducting deep diplomatic conversations in the channel we've been given. Discord is also what you will need to send me your orders and House card decisions.

House assignments:

The General - Stark (actually Bolton in this version... expect me to screw this up a lot :v: )
nimby - Baratheon
ETB - Greyjoy
Pththya-lyi - Martell
Acceptableloss - Lannister
KhediveRex - Tyrell

Turn 1 may begin!

Note: Be mindful of the two unique garrisons: Baratheon has a strength 4 garrison at Storm's End, and Tyrell strength 3 at Oldtown.
Also be mindful that we only play 6 turns, not the normal 10.
Everyone has 5 PTs to start with, as per the normal game.

Available house cards:
House Bolton:
[4] Roose Bolton: 1 Sword
[3] Ramsay Bolton: If your "Reek" house card is still in your hand, this card gains +1 combat strength and three sword icons.
[2] Black Walder: 1 Sword
[2] Steelshanks Walton: 1 Fortification
[1] Walder Frey: Any player (other than your opponent) who grants support to your opponent must grant that support to you instead.
[1] Damon Dance-For-Me: 1 Sword
[0] Reek: If your "Ramsay Bolton" House card is in your discard pile, immediately return it to your hand. If you lose this combat, you may return Reek to your hand.

House Lannister
[4] Ser Jaime Lannister: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[3] Ser Kevan Lannister: 1 Fortification
[2] Daven Lannister: 1 Sword
[2] Ser Ilyn Payne: If you win this combat, you may destroy one of your opponent's Footmen in any area (in addition to normal casualties). If that unit is the last unit in its area, remove any Order token there as well.
[1] Cersei Lannister: 1 Fortification
[1] Ser Adam Marbrand: If you are attacking, all of your participating Knights (including supporting Lannister Knights) add +3 combat strength instead of +2.
[0] Qyburn: You may discard two of your available Power Tokens to choose a House card in any player's discard pile. Qyburn gains the printed combat strength and combat icons of that card, ignoring its text ability.

House Baratheon:
[4] Stannis Baratheon: If you are not being supported in this combat, remove all Support orders (including your own) adjacent to the embattled area, cancelling any supporting strength they may have been providing.
[3] Jon Snow: If you win this combat, you may decrease or increase the Wildling track by one space (to a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 10).
[2] Melisandre: After combat, you may return any House card in your discard pile (including this card) to your hand by discarding a number of your available Power Tokens equal to the printed combat strength of that card.
[2] Bastard of Nightsong: 1 Fortification
[1] Ser Davos Seaworth: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[1] Ser Axell Florent: 1 Sword
[0] Mance Rayder: Your final combat strength is equal to the current position of the Wildling Threat token.

House Greyjoy:
[4] Euron Crow's Eye: If your opponent has a higher position on the Fiefdoms Influence track than you, this card gains +1 combat strength.
[3] Victarion Greyjoy: 2 Swords
[2] Asha Greyjoy: 1 Fortification
[2] Rodrik the Reader: If you win this combat, you may search and Westeros deck for a card of your choice. Shuffle the remaining cards and place the chosen card facedown on top of the deck.
[1] Qarl the Maid: If you are attacking and lose this combat, gain three Power Tokens.
[1] Ser Harras Harlaw: 1 Sword
[0] Aeron Damphair: You may discard and number of your available Power Tokens to increase the combat strength of this card by the number of Power Tokens discarded.

House Tyrell:
[4] Mace Tyrell: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[3] Randyll Tarly: 2 Swords
[2] Willas Tyrell: 1 Fortification
[2] Ser Jon Fossoway: 1 Sword
[1] Paxter Redwyne: If the embattled area is a sea area, all of your participating ships (including supporting Tyrell ships) add +2 combat strength instead of +1.
[1] Queen of Thorns: Ignore all text abilities printed on your opponent's House Card
[0] Margaery Tyrell: If you are defending your home area, or an area that contains one of your Power Tokens, your opponent's final combat strength is 2.

House Martell
[4] Doran Martell: For each House Card in your hand, this card gains a Fortification icon and a Sword icon, and suffers a -1 penalty to combat strength (to a minimum of 0)
[3] Areo Hotah: 2 Fortifications
[2] Bastard of Godsgrace: 1 Fortification
[2] Big Man: 1 Sword
[1] Ser Gerris Drinkwater: If you win this combat, you may move one position higher on one influence track of your choice
[1] Quentyn Martell: For each House card in your discard pile, this card gains +1 combat strength
[0] Nymeria Sand: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification

Dancer fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 1, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Btw, Acceptableloss and KhediveRex, (and everyone, actually) please make sure to say something in the GoT discord channel as soon as possible so others can find you for diplomacy purposes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Got my orders in. Ironborn, Stags and Lions, I look forward to a long and happy relationship.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Turn 1 orders

Everyone has 5 PTs

Available house cards:
House Bolton:
[3] Ramsay Bolton: If your "Reek" house card is still in your hand, this card gains +1 combat strength and three sword icons.
[2] Black Walkder: 1 Sword
[1] Walder Frey: Any player (other than your opponent) who grants support to your opponent must grant that support to you instead.
[0] Reek: If your "Ramsay Bolton" House card is in your discard pile, immediately return it to your hand. If you lose this combat, you may return Reek to your hand.

House Lannister
[2] Ser Ilyn Payne: If you win this combat, you may destroy one of your opponent's Footmen in any area (in addition to normal casualties). If that unit is the last unit in its area, remove any Order token there as well.
[1] Ser Adam Marbrand: If you are attacking, all of your participating Knights (including supporting Lannister Knights) add +3 combat strength instead of +2.
[0] Qyburn: You may discard two of your available Power Tokens to choose a House card in any player's discard pile. Qyburn gains the printed combat strength and combat icons of that card, ignoring its text ability.

House Baratheon:
[4] Stannis Baratheon: If you are not being supported in this combat, remove all Support orders (including your own) adjacent to the embattled area, cancelling any supporting strength they may have been providing.
[3] Jon Snow: If you win this combat, you may decrease or increase the Wildling track by one space (to a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 10).
[2] Melisandre: After combat, you may return any House card in your discard pile (including this card) to your hand by discarding a number of your available Power Tokens equal to the printed combat strength of that card.
[0] Mance Rayder: Your final combat strength is equal to the current position of the Wildling Threat token.

House Greyjoy:
[4] Euron Crow's Eye: If your opponent has a higher position on the Fiefdoms Influence track than you, this card gains +1 combat strength.
[2] Rodrik the Reader: If you win this combat, you may search and Westeros deck for a card of your choice. Shuffle the remaining cards and place the chosen card facedown on top of the deck.
[1] Qarl the Maid: If you are attacking and lose this combat, gain three Power Tokens.
[0] Aeron Damphair: You may discard and number of your available Power Tokens to increase the combat strength of this card by the number of Power Tokens discarded.

House Tyrell:
[1] Paxter Redwyne: If the embattled area is a sea area, all of your participating ships (including supporting Tyrell ships) add +2 combat strength instead of +1.
[1] Queen of Thorns: Ignore all text abilities printed on your opponent's House Card
[0] Margaery Tyrell: If you are defending your home area, or an area that contains one of your Power Tokens, your opponent's final combat strength is 2.

House Martell
[4] Doran Martell: For each House Card in your hand, this card gains a Fortification icon and a Sword icon, and suffers a -1 penalty to combat strength (to a minimum of 0)
[1] Ser Gerris Drinkwater: If you win this combat, you may move one position higher on one influence track of your choice
[1] Quentyn Martell: For each House card in your discard pile, this card gains +1 combat strength

Tyrell may raven, then raids:

Lannister
Tyrell (no target)
Greyjoy
Bolton
Martell

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I'll use the Raven to trade my defense Order in The Reach for a Raid order in The Reach.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I’ll.......pass on my raid.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I'll raid the Boneway from The Reach.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Greyjoy raids Winterfell's Raid.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ETB posted:

Greyjoy raids Winterfell's Raid.

We just had a raiding party :toot:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell's raid at Highgarden has no valid target, so we move on to March orders.

Everyone has 5 PTs

Available house cards:
House Bolton:
[2] Black Walkder: 1 Sword

House Lannister

House Baratheon:

House Greyjoy:

House Tyrell:

House Martell

Lannister to play.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Lannister has no marches, right?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Astute observation :v: . Tyrell to play.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Tyrrell will march his soldiers from Crackclaw to Storm's End.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

How rude :colbert:

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Don't worry, they're soldiers of peace. I told them to come with like flowers and chocolate and stuff.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One important note. I will change my ways slightly and suggest that you point out if you want to leave a power token behind to establish control. If you say nothing, I assume you are leaving one behind, but you should probably say it just to be sure. Tyrell is actually not leaving a PT this time (confirmed via PM).

Strength 9 vs. 6
Tyrell plays:
Baratheon plays:
Final strength 5 vs. 10. Baratheon victory. The Tyrell units retreat and are routed.

Greyjoy to play

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Due to technical difficulties, I will post Greyjoy's march for him:

March from Searoad Marshes:
- 1 Footman to Flint's Finger
- 1 Footman to Seagard

Do not leave a PT behind.

Bolton to play.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

March Knight from Moat Cailin to Seagard.

2 from my knight. + 2 from Lannister support (I guess he should post to verify)
vs.
1 From Seagard Footman + 1 from Iron's man bay.

4vs2.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

House Lannister supports the noble house of Greyjoy this day.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Bolton plays:
Greyjoy plays:
Greyjoy activates the blade. Final strength 5 vs. 5. Greyjoy victory. The Bolton knight retreats.
Grejoy activates the card effect to shuffle through the Westeros 1 deck, and chooses the card to go on top.

Baratheon to play.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

March 1 boat from the Shivering Sea to the Narrow Sea.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
march from port to ESS

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Greyjoy to march

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
March from West Summer Sea:
- 1 ship to Redwyne Straits
- 1 ship to East Summer Sea

0 v 1

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Phonepost: the played cards are Qarl the Maid and Gerris Drinkwater. Greyjoy retreats and gains 3PT. Martell moves one step up on the King's Court track, taking the raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And unless I'm mistaken, Baratheon was the only other house with 2 march orders, so they get to play.

• Locked thread