Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B
2. B
3. D

And welcome back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BBDA.

Glad this is active again.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

A record that shouldn't exist referencing tragic events (attributable to the Machine, presumably) before some of them have even happened.

So if/when we go back in time priority one is tracking down Robert Johnson, who is singing Sympathy For The Devil ~30 years too soon. Presumably the influence of a time traveling Unchained, as the devil motif fits and it seems somewhat unlikely that an agent of the Machine would be crowing about all the Machine has and will do, and just being a mundane opportunist that is starting blues via stable time loop would seem to be implausibly... normal.

The next question is: why would someone be killed with this record in his possession? Robert Johnson presaging the death of the Kennedys would certainly seem to be rather dangerous for him if he is indeed Unchained.

Also: welcome back!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Sympathy for the Devil was a fantastic cover, but should not be considered to supplant the original, unless to justify timey wimey game stuff.

Probably maybe unrelated but Loius Armstrong is probably Satan's bartender. That'd be awesome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Can we take blueprints for a nuke back to the 20's, pocket magic some plutonium and blow some poo poo up?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Can we take blueprints for a nuke back to the 20's, pocket magic some plutonium and blow some poo poo up?

Alternatively how has some demon not blown up the Earth with super duper whatever future plasma?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D
A + Bring a gun to open the portal
ABD

Welcome back!

Soooo, it looks like the 1920's gate is activated by the use of a gun, probably at a specific time. On this side you need to fire a gun at 10:38 to get through. Maybe on the other side you need to be shot to come back given the sudden appearance of the corpse? Or maybe the gunshot in the area is the trigger but it affects whoever is standing on a very specific patch of ground regardless of whether they are the source of the gunshot.

IIRC we had a plan for opening the locked filing cabinets back in Drift's apartment. It's the best source of clues I can think of if we don't want to go through the gate now. We could also do more research on the 1920's. I'm relatively comfortable diving in though now that we've learned about as much as we can about how the gate works without experimenting on it.

It looks likely that there are at least two Unchained trapped in the 1920's based on the appearance of the record before Drift's disappearance. I'd suggest tracking them down on the other side of the portal for more information and to recruit as assets for the mission. It is plausible that they have been unable to return due to the gateway on the other side still being active, guarded Machine infrastructure. Maybe it would make more sense to bring the whole ring in case there are a bunch of gangsters working for the Machine on the other side.

malbogio fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2018 around 00:37

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aw yeah, it's back!
1 B
2 A
3 ACD
Forward the text files to our ring

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Blasphemaster posted:

Sympathy for the Devil was a fantastic cover, but should not be considered to supplant the original, unless to justify timey wimey game stuff.

Probably maybe unrelated but Loius Armstrong is probably Satan's bartender. That'd be awesome.

As far as Ms. Ink knows, Sympathy for the Devil is a Stones song. This song is impossible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

quote:

Try not to be disappointed after all this time.

Where did you get that recording? Did someone else expand on the one interesting idea from Binfinite or did you make/commission that yourself?

Also, 1B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Let's go through with a few hundred bucks worth of gold and a copy of 20th century stock movements. Invest but make no other actions and let the world turn. Then proceed a hundred years older and several billion in available funds richer.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Outrail posted:

Let's go through with a few hundred bucks worth of gold and a copy of 20th century stock movements. Invest but make no other actions and let the world turn. Then proceed a hundred years older and several billion in available funds richer.

Given that as a demon we have perfect recall it would be trivially easy to memorize a staggering amount of information off of the internet rather quickly for later study.

But also signs so far indicate that we're dealing with pocket dimensions rather than genuine portals into the past.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

malbogio posted:

But also signs so far indicate that we're dealing with pocket dimensions rather than genuine portals into the past.

Then I vote precious metals heist. Something we can melt down.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Kavak posted:

Then I vote precious metals heist. Something we can melt down.

+1. There's always an angle.

Assuming pulling poo poo from our pocket takes it from the world, in the pocket dimension it takes it from the pocket dimension's world. So therefore we really can abuse it and stockpile approximatly all of the worlds plutonium/saffron/Enid Blyton books.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I went back to look at Drift's notes to see if what Banks said casts any new light on what we've already seen.

The strange notes on Drift's map make a bit more sense now:

Pattrn local vs temprol? -- musing about activation conditions?
End # significant? -- musing about activation conditions?
Connectin for 4. -- musing about activation conditions?
Banks/John knows, trust? -- we know who Banks is now. What (who?) does he know? If what, the question of trust is focused on Banks. If who, the question of trust is focused on the other person.
1927-1991=???? -- sounds like birth and death years? A period of 64 years, or 4*4*4. A very GM-y number. 1927 is presumably the year the caves portal points to, since it was the year on the dead guy's record.

These are the locations Drift was interested in. They were circled on Drift's investigation map, and he had also looked them all up on his "normal" laptop:

-Mill City Museum -- museum built on the site of an old grain mill, which was built in 1880. Right on the river.
-Wabasha Street Caves -- where we're going tonight. Legend is it was a hangout of famous gangsters. Which means for our purposes it actually was.
-Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome -- Built in 1982, demolished in 2014. Replaced by the U.S. Bank Stadium in 2016. At various times home to 4 different teams. A little away from the river.
-Fort Snelling -- built over the period of 4 years (1820 to 1824). It has a checkered history that aligns pretty well thematically with GM shenanigans. Right on the river.

Bringing up this old post as it seems like the strongest analysis of Drift's notes that was done and I figure I'm not the only one that forgot where the gates lead. We might be able to rob something pretty valuable but I can't think of it. Depends heavily on how wide the pocket dimensions are both physically and in terms of duration covered. It's unclear if the pocket dimensions operate on some form of time loop as well as why they spat out a single corpse when they did. If the pocket dimension is big enough to have all the equipment to produce a record though then I'd suspect it's pretty big.

Also apparently the number four has some serious mystic significance to the time bubbles.

Going to add a vote to inform Banks as he is obsessed with the river and appears to have been obsessed with it for a very long time. I'd guess his fall had something to do with the river. Banks was hesitant to share their history previously but it's possible they have eyewitness knowledge from the 1920's that could help us and don't even know it.

malbogio fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2018 around 00:37

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Oh neat, I forgot I made that. Thanks for digging that up.

Banks/John knows, trust? could also mean that Banks knows/knew something about Drift, maybe even something as basic as the fact that Drift was investigating the river.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

Ham Wrangler

B
B
ABCD
Send the files to the ring.

Socks4Hands
Feb 28, 2017

I'll brick your life, m8!

No hard feelings please, it's a defense mechanism...

just started reading, excellent work! welcome back, you've tapped into a strong parallel

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

1. B
2. B
3. ABD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1b2b3d

You're a hero NinjaPete.

«26 »