Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
  • Post
  • Reply
NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál


Kavak posted:

In our Ring's parlance that means "Is it time to go loud", right?

Well not Go Loud in terms of burning your Cover and going full Demonic Form.

Rather, it's Kind-speak for "should I just shoot everyone now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009


NinjaPete posted:

Well not Go Loud in terms of burning your Cover and going full Demonic Form.

Rather, it's Kind-speak for "should I just shoot everyone now?"

I vote Not Yet.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


A
I
K


Doesn't seem like Sunglasses is trying to get the drop on us. I don't think the Quads know we're here.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


I think we've been maintaining cover and I'd expect Kind to warn us if she was bringing a party. But the Quads are looking for someone, could it be Sunglasses?

Oh. Thought. Sunglasses could totally be Banks' in an infiltration meatsuit. The sunglasses would cover their glitchy eye just as well as an eyepatch would.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009


A i K

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008



Ham Wrangler

FIK

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Does I know someone work in whatever timezone/pocket dimension we're in?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál


Outrail posted:

Does I know someone work in whatever timezone/pocket dimension we're in?

We're not in timewhatever yet. And we won't know until we try!! But considering we are a being with the ability to manipulate reality, there's a chance!

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál





You spend some of your precious Aether and breathe in the aura around you. Across the room, in the direction of the four men, there is a large bloom of Aether. A smaller one is directly in front of you, presumably the woman walking towards you. Finally there is something, distant but powerful, far to the south, on the edge of your perception and deeper in the caves.

What is it? Alex says, sensing your unnatural stillness.

Trouble. I think, you nod towards Sunglasses. Something is happening, be ready. Even as you are saying so, Alexs hand dips into her jacket, drifting close to her holster. Sunglasses has passed the last of the packed bodies between the two of you and as she steps close she pulls down her shades. You tense, ready to grab her wrist and toss her to the floor if needed, but her eyes give you pause. One is brilliant green and the other a dead, dull, white.

At least this time Im not sticking a shotgun in your face.

Banks? you ask incredulously. .

Had to dress up to leave the house. It wont last long, but its fine enough.

Excuse me, who is this? Alex asks.

This is Banks....shes....an ally.

So far. And who is this? Banks asks.

Alex. Shes my...--

Girlfriend, Alex offers

Really? you ask.

So far. She replies.

Well, this is cute, but were all in mortal danger. Banks cuts in. She waits a moment to savor your and Alexs expressions and then continues. Word got out about this door to the Loyalists.

How?

No idea. But my contacts say agents are coming to lock it down to keep any Unchained out.

The Machine cant move that quickly, you protest.

Machine? Alex asks.

No, Im guessing we have a human or angel agent acting on their own volition.

Human or Angel?

You rub your forehead. Alex wasnt supposed to hear all this, only the broad strokes. Shed be asking too many questions now, ones you didnt want to answer. Besides that the idea that the Machines minions could find out about this place almost as soon as you did. That bodes poorly for all Demon-kind, you needed to operate in the shadows, hidden from the Machines gaze. But what happened when there were no shadows to hide in?

Okay, okay. You breathe, calming yourself from a physiological reaction you arent actually experiencing. Alex, I..Ill explain more later. Right now we might be in trouble. Those four, you nod slightly in the direction of the quadruplets. Enemy agents, probably not even human. We need to take them out or divert them.

Youve misunderstood me, Banks says. Im not here to help you fight them, Im here to help you retreat. The situation has changed and you need to pull out.

What? No, were here, this now might be our only shot at examining that door.

Is it even active? Do you know how to turn it on?

I mean, I think so--

You think. Its too much, were getting out of here. Banks reaches over to grab your arm. She is halted suddenly by Alex, who looms in.

Hands. Off.

Maam, dont think I wont hit a girl, I aint no gentleman.

What?

Both of you,shut it. you say. Let me think.

1. What do we do next?
A Leave as quickly and quietly as possible.
B Attempt to stealth out of here using a power or skill (which?)
C Fade back into the tunnels.
D Confront the quadruplets.
E Split up with Alex and Banks (what do you each do?)


2. Do we call Kind over for back up?
F Yes, well let her cut loose if needed.
G Yes, but we make it clear nothings getting razed.
H No, shes too much of a wild card.
I No, but well send her off with a text (to do what?)

__________________________________________________________________________


School is back in session. Oddly this means that I might update semi regularly because I have nothing better to do during my prep/must escape my nightmare world of teens.

I would like to eventually set up a wiki or something with a run down of major players, locals, etc. so if anyone has suggestions on doing that easily, let me know via here or Discord. Its off in the future, but well see.

Votes were split between using Aether and not. I flipped a coin on orokos and we ended up using Aether.

All votes are Approval unless noted
CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Rules: From Kickstarter Preview
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Offical Playlist

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


E Banks takes Alex to safety.
We try to stealthily get to the portal.
F we let her make a distraction.

Toughy fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2018 around 21:02

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



CG

If we're quiet and such, maybe we can avoid breaking Alex too badly.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here

Blasphemaster posted:

CG

If we're quiet and such, maybe we can avoid breaking Alex too badly.

+1

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009


Toughy posted:

E Banks takes Alex to safety.
We try to stealthily get to the portal.
F we let her make a distraction.


+1

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AC
FG


Always glad to have you back, I dig your writing style.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009


1A
2F/I
Distraction in whatever way gets everyone out safest

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


C
G

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



Hey Guys, guess what Player Character/Cover-Relevant Obama decision is being reversed by the Orange Demon?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Blasphemaster posted:

Hey Guys, guess what Player Character/Cover-Relevant Obama decision is being reversed by the Orange Demon?

All of them?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


Toughy posted:

E Banks takes Alex to safety.
We try to stealthily get to the portal.
F we let her make a distraction.


This

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005


Thinking its kind of suspicious that the second we find something out about this place and tell people the Loyslists are crawling all over it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Thinking it’s kind of suspicious that the second we find something out about this place and tell people the Loyslists are crawling all over it.

Either we're being followed or we have a leak.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál




Okay..okay... you mumble to yourself as you make eye contact with Kind and look towards the quadruplets, then spin your hand around in what you hope is a way that says do-something-chaotic-to-distract-them-but-try-not-to-murder-anyone-please. Kind squints at you for a moment, then her eyes widen in understanding and she spins to the man on her left, knocking his drink onto her dress.

Excuse me?! you hear her exclaim as you turn towards Banks and Alex.

Okay, so..we cant give up on the doorway, especially if there are loyalists here.

What do you mean?

They are likely using this as a honeypot, pulling us in and picking us off.

All the more reason to get out.

Some of us. You and Alex need to get out-

Wait, Mabin.. Alex starts.

No, no Ill be okay. You two get out of here, make a big deal about leaving. Let them see you. With any luck youll pull them off.

And then they follow us. Banks mutters.

Listen, they probably dont know who they are looking for, they just are looking for oddness.

So what do you do?

Im heading to the portal.

By yourself? exclaims Alex.

The commotion nearby Kind is getting louder. You feel a slight tug of Aether, she must be using some sort of ability to rile up people. Listen I can get in and out, dont wo--

Dont you dare tell me not to worry about you. Alex cuts you off, staring hard at you. That gives you pause. She cares for you more than you expected, more than you thought possible.

Alex, you start. I will be okay. You need to trust me, you hold her hands in yours. Im not going to get myself killed, but we need to get intel on this doorway.

Alex is quiet for a moment, you hear the sounds of a stool being shoved back and Kind exclaim Do you know who I am? shrilly. Finally Alex sighs.

Fine, but take my piece, she pats her jacket where her gun is, In case things go south.

1 Do you take Alexs pistol?
A Yes
B No


Banks leads Alex away as the scuffle around Kind starts to turn into a Brawl. As Banks is walking past the four agents, she makes a point to shoulder check one of them on her way out. The man in black turns to watch her go, and then turns towards his three compatriots. Though no words are exchanged between them, you get the distinct impression they are communicating. You take that as your cue to go.

You quickly walk into the ladies room and, once you see it is empty, allow some of your true self out. Your reflection vanishes from the bathroom mirror. After waiting a few minutes in hopes that someone else will open the door, letting you slip out, you finally chance it and open the door yourself. You squeeze through the smallest crack you can and sneak out onto the dance floor. The lights are still low and the band still pumping a swing beat, but the dance floor is noticeably more empty than when you entered the bathroom. You see a large crowd gathered near the bar, over the music you can still hear Kind cussing, dropping words like litigation and committee like anvils. You see that there are still two agents standing near the entrance, and even after looking you cannot see the other two. They must have peeled off to follow Banks and Alex. You allow your pulse to quicken with worry momentarily before sneaking down the hall.



As you round a corner you gently rest your fingertips against the brick wall and concentrate. The brick you are touching is part of a whole wall, it is connected to the others by mortar and gravity, buy also intent. This brick wall is one of many, lining the tunnels and snaking underground. Walls connect to rooms, ceilings, floors, stairs, doors. Pieces that fit together as snugly as this brick does with its brothers. Someone had a design for this place over a century ago and spent their blood, sweat, and years fitting all the pieces together. You can read that intention, you can see how the original structure was designed and laid out.This knowledge allows you to build a map of the caves in your head, complete with hidden rooms and structures. Granted there are places your map isnt filled in, either part of the natural caverns, and thus made with no intent, or added later and thus not part of the original design. Still, even with the blind spots, you can create enough of a map to find a cavern and doorway that look similar to the one you saw in Drifts camera feed. Assuming the location is correct, it is lower in the caves, beyond what was once the speakeasy and hidden in the tunnels originally used for, of all things, mushroom farming. You start to head down the tunnels, careful to move slowly and keep and eye and ear out for anything.

2. Do we keep Mirrored Skin active?
C Yes, even though well start taking penalties to our compromise roll the longer we stay in it.
D No, well spend another Aether and go back to full human.

You look track of the time as you walk, the soft clicking of your dancing shoes is the only thing that break the silence.

.....tik..tik..tik..tik..tik..tik..tik

It is a hypnotic sound, you find yourself lulled into a sort of fugue state by the monotony of it.

.....tik..tik..tik..tik..tik..tik..thap

The change in sound stops you dead. Youve stepped on something. Something feels different under your feet, not the compressed gravel and dirt of the tunnel so far. This feels softer. You fish out your cell phone and turn the flashlight on.


Youd stepped in some sort of green moss. Its a dark green color, almost black, and snakes across your path. You look closely at it and see that its in some sort of helix pattern. You turn around and point the flashlight in the direction you came, you see more patches of moss in odd patterns, almost like sigils, dotting the tunnel behind you. How long had you been walking through these without stepping on them? The moss patterns are thin a spread out behind you, but thicken as they get closer to you. Pointing your light ahead, you see the patterns grow even larger and thicker, eventually melding together into a thicket of moss about 20 feet ahead. Your light follows the moss thicket forward, and up a wall, to the ceiling where it bulges and turns from a deep green into a bright and vibrant color. A large bulbous growth hangs from the ceiling, like some sort of vegetable pimple. You watch and are only mildly surprised to see it pulse.

3. What do we do here?
E Just walk under the bulb
F Use a Aether, see if its giving off anything
G Attack it from a distance (how?)
H Smash it from close up.
I Turn around, the portal isnt worth this.
J Something else.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Took a dramatic failure on our what do the loyalists being here mean? roll for us to have a beat. So, weve misread some situation somewhere.

We got an exceptional success on our Partial Transformation, so we got a beat.

Because of these beats, we did our Cipher Roll and succeeded. Our next question is:

2. What Attribute does my next Key use?
Manipulation




All votes are Approval unless noted
CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Rules: From Kickstarter Preview
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Offical Playlist

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009


1B
2J
Consider if that Dramatic Failure about Loyalists means we were wrong about Banks and letting Alex go with her.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005


Per the_steve, we were either followed or there is a leak. I can't remember how much we told Banks, but I'd suspect him the most as a leak, so putting Alex in his care is kind of bad. Was Kind supposed to be here? It's hard for me to get a read on her. She's really protective of her family, but for someone who would want a low profile she sure is trigger happy. As for being followed, we just pulled off a big heist and started a pretty obvious cult, and people could find us to give us this job in the first place, so other people following us is also totally possible....

Yeah, that dramatic failure is the last thing we needed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BCF

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.



B
C
FH

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


A
D
E

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál


You again use a bit of your precious Aether to reach out and try to sense if this moss bulb is anything important or troubling. You can sense some Aetehr coming off the bulb, but it feel different, instead of the vague beacon that you tend to associate with Aether, this feels more like a black hole, something negative sucking in ambient Aether from around it. It feels cold and, before you realize exactly what is happening the black hole has reached out and touched you. You feel coldness and a draining feeling as something taps into your Aether reserves and seems to suck it out.

You pull back, shunting off your Aether senses, trying to cut off whatever is feeding off your Aether. You see the bulb has grown and is a deeper shade of green previously. As you watch there is a spark of odd-looking lightning that jumps from the bulb to one of the patches in the shape of an arcane sigil. Another tongue of lighting leaps out, this one grazes you and you feel a hot lash of burning on your arm, though due to being invisible currently, you cannot see it. You jump back at that and watch as the mini lighting storm on the moss settles and dissipates. Eventually the moss and bulb looks normal, though you think it might have gotten larger in the last minute or so.

Some sort of reaction? you think. You have heard of cryptids and cryptoflora, animals and plants being mutated by exposure to Aether, but you have little experience with it.

There is the sound of footfalls behind you. You listen for a moment, two sets, hard, flat-soled shoes.

1.What do you do?
A Hurry down the tunnel, try to get to the doorway before them.
B Wait here and hide, let them pass by.
C Hide an ambush, if they are the agents, we can fight them.
D Something else.


___________________________________________________________________________

Short update, but playing with the moss has allowed people to catch up with us.


We spent an Aether for sense stuff, and the moss reacted and ate another of our Aether points. Then we got zapped.

All votes are Approval unless noted
CYOA Discord Server - If you have questions feel free to ask in the thread or here.
Rules: From Kickstarter Preview
Character Sheet
World Map
Dice Rolls
Conspiracy/Plot Board
Official Playlist

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



C Time to get out the knives. That are our hands. For stabbing.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005


How much Aether do we have left at this point?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál


Dr Subterfuge posted:

How much Aether do we have left at this point?

8, though we'll need to use at least one for shifting back into normal Mabin form when we do that.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015


BC

We sent Alex away and didn't take her gun so we cannot actually use the portal, so if we run forward we'll probably reach a dead end and be trapped.
We've already stayed in invisibility longer than we should have and are at increasing risk of developing a glitch.
Given that the magic number for the time portals is 4 I have concerns that if we go through we'll be trapped with Drift as closing/sabotaging/escaping the time portal may require 4 people.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B
Either they know a way to get past the plant, or the plant eats them and we're down an enemy.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.



BC

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009


BC Malbogio has a point- I say we double back and check on Alex.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009


c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




BC

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«27 »