Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Thanks for making this thread; I got really into the Dubliners and Irish music in general after taking a class in high school on Joyce of all things, and have been listening to them and other related groups since. The Dubliners took a more neutral tone (as they were at their height during the latter parts of the Troubles in the 60's and 70's and probably didn't want to attract negative attention) and generally didn't sing the more explicitly violent rebel songs like groups like the Wolfe Tones would. However, they did quite a few songs about the Easter Rising and the events directly leading up to it; James Larkin is one of my favorites for how unvarnished and direct it is. I believe their version of I'm Asking You Sergeant Where's Mine and The Town I Loved So Well are the exceptions.

I think it is also worth bringing up Irish songs specifically about Irish prisoners transported to Australia: The Fields of Athenry is probably the most well known example, but I Wish I Was Back Home in Derry is by far my favorite and was written by Bobby Sands himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread