Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
1. AB
2. Soup soup, eat da soup.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1F. A simple prayer to the lord, asking for his recognition of your deed. SAVE.

1F. A holy record of your current holy mission and progress in your dreadful battle in Dracula domain. LOAD.

2. Refuse soup

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nyaa posted:

1F. A simple prayer to the lord, asking for his recognition of your deed. SAVE.

1F. A holy record of your current holy mission and progress in your dreadful battle in Dracula domain. LOAD.

2. Refuse soup

Nyaa with the amazing ideas!

What he said.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
CE, eat the soup

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

All room might reset when the MC dies and we will never made it to last boss.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Nyaa posted:

All room might reset when the MC dies and we will never made it to last boss.

Zybourne Clock posted:

I'm the GM. The players just voted to do something incredibly stupid/suicidal/both and They Must Be Punished. Can I kill the main character?
Yes, go ahead. But this doesn't end the story. Once you post your update we'll have a laugh, and then we'll rewind the clock to before the bad decision was made. Instead of having a new voting phase, the very next person to post in the thread becomes the GM. That GM is not bound by what the players voted to do, and gets to write an update detailing what the main character obviously should have done to avoid an incredibly stupid/suicidal situation. The story continues from there.
If we die we just rewind the clock, easy peasy.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Choose your death till you auto win dracula.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Nyaa posted:

Choose your death till you auto win dracula.

That is the game you signed for, yeah! Permadeath isn't part of the arrangement from minute one. Not being able to lose doesn't at all mean this story is guaranteed a happy ending, though, and the journey is the fun part.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I am only raising some concerns of that rule, but it’s probably be best to let it manifest under my rule

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What if we do the Wish for more Wishes thing:

F. Summon spellbook page
F. Recover mana

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

F: The Remebered Flame Avenges, which summons forth those spirits we have remembered with the 44th mantra of the forgotten flame as fiery wraiths.

G: The Ember Ignites a Thousand Flames, Which empowered and enlarges the effect of one other spell. If the spell isn't a fire spell, it becomes one

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F. Summon Dracula
F. Power word: Kill Dracula

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Dog Kisser posted:

Not being able to lose doesn't at all mean this story is guaranteed a happy ending, though, and the journey is the fun part.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

And there's a difference between continuing the story, and continuing the story continuing with consequences. Losing all but two of your spells is a good example of the latter. It's a pretty nasty setback for the main character that will likely have a big impact on how the story will progress.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Magnusth posted:

F: The Remebered Flame Avenges, which summons forth those spirits we have remembered with the 44th mantra of the forgotten flame as fiery wraiths.

G: The Ember Ignites a Thousand Flames, Which empowered and enlarges the effect of one other spell. If the spell isn't a fire spell, it becomes one

Changing vote to this. Hoorah for corruption.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Change of vote.

Action vote remains eat up, see if there's anything in here we can use as a makeshift weapon, take no action which harms our caretaker

Powers vote changed from CE to

Magnusth posted:

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

The quest of the Whitegraves scion continues!

Magnusth is the GM for the next turn, and appropriately enough, because the choices of spells are:
The Remembered Flame Avenges, which conjures the shades subsumed by the 44th Mantra as fiery wraiths,
and The Ember Ignites a Thousand Flames, which empowers and enlarges the effect of another spell, and converts it to a fire spell if it isn't already.

Also, we totally eat the soup.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Question Time is Open with nun-lady, while i make an update. soup-related questions will only be answered after the update.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What is your name?

What's in the soup?

What ingredient is in the soup?

Does it have human meat?

Why would I suddenly be hungry and you conveniently have a soup for my stomach? Is this your plot?

Why would a minion of this castle help me?

Do you wish for me to send you to heaven?

Where is Dracula?

How do I reach Dracula?

Where am I now?

Do you have a map?

Where's the toilet and kitchen?

Is there a church in here?

Can I leave this castle?

How did I get into that room before in one big step?

Where did you find my pages?

How did I lose my book and only my book?

In fact, I recall eating my ration right before I got in. Why would I be hungry now?

What time is it now?

How long has I been out?

Is this place safe?

Who should I be wary next?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Your cross is upside down. Not sure if that is intentional or it just sort of slipped, just saying in case you wanna flip it around.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

For the record, if i don't update until tomorrow, this is why.

Nyaa posted:

What is your name?
"Esmeralda. I think. It has been... a long time since i spoke it. What is yours?"
Minivote: tell her your name?
Yes
No

quote:

Why would I suddenly be hungry and you conveniently have a soup for my stomach? Is this your plot?
"You have been passed out for many hours. I thought you might be hungry, so i made soup"

quote:

Why would a minion of this castle help me?
"I am not a Minion here! none of us are! everyone here is a slave of The.." her voice falters and becomes unnaturally rigid "Everyone here serves the master"

quote:

Do you wish for me to send you to heaven?
"What do you mean? no soul can leave this place while the master still reigns."

quote:

Where is Dracula?
"The mo- the master is in his throne room, as he is ever. And he is all around you."

quote:

How do I reach Dracula?
"I... Do not know. I cannot leave this room."

quote:

Where am I now?
answered in the previous update

quote:

Do you have a map?
"I am afraid not."

quote:

Where's the toilet and kitchen?
"There are no toilets, and the kitchen, i cannot tell. I have a cauldron here?"

quote:

Is there a church in here?
"Ah, i would be glad, but i doubt so; this place knows only one master, and he is devil-god to all here."

quote:

Can I leave this castle?
"None my leave but by the master's will"

quote:

How did I get into that room before in one big step?
"All bends around the master, even the beatiful truths of Euclid the sage"

quote:

Where did you find my pages?
"Next to you, where i found you. I took them to keep them from the rats."

quote:

How did I lose my book and only my book?
"I do not know? perhaps the master plays some cruel trick on you, he does that, from time to time, when heroes find their way here."

quote:

In fact, I recall eating my ration right before I got in. Why would I be hungry now?
"As i said, you have been knocked out a loong time"

quote:

What time is it now?
"there are neither clocks nor windows down here. I do not know."

quote:

How long has I been out?
Already answered

quote:

Is this place safe?
"As safe as any place in this castle."

quote:

Who should I be wary next?
"what?"

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

What is the Wasting Legion? They weren't in my uncle Waldemar's notes...

What foul watercourse lies beneath that grate in the floor?

Might you have anything I could use as a weapon?

Do you know any magic you might be willing to share?

Have you seen a girl here, younger, but with hair like mine?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Bee Bonk posted:

What is the Wasting Legion? They weren't in my uncle Waldemar's notes...
"Those of us who that inf- " she stops herself. "who the master have bound to our bones while still living, then drained of that life drop by drop"

quote:

What foul watercourse lies beneath that grate in the floor?
"The 22nd of the four hundred and thirty five rivers of blood. they run throughout the world, often hidden under rock and stone and dirt, but all of them start here."

quote:

Might you have anything I could use as a weapon?
"There's a rusty chain over on the wall you might be able to pry loose?"

quote:

Do you know any magic you might be willing to share?
"There are secrets known to the nuns of the first order of the Oubliette of Healing, but i doubt you are seeking to take the vows?"

quote:

Have you seen a girl here, younger, but with hair like mine?
"not for at least a few centuries, no."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

You siit groggily, and page through the two spells you’ve recovered. Somewhere in the background, water is dripping.
The first is a very very ancient spell, The Remembered Flame Avenges, Known, in some form or another, for as long as mortals have known that souls burn bright with inner fire and as long as men and women have longed for revenge from beyond the grave. It can only be taught by the dead; the version you have in your grimmoire was taught to you by your master after dracula drained from him his heart’s blood and made a mockery of his corpse.
The other is The Ember Ignites A Thousand Flames, another old spell, and one of the first you learnt. It empowers other magic, yours or from other sources, doubling or tripling their effects while endowing them with a fiery aspect. Spells of strength come to imbue your touch with fire, spells of healing enchant your blood that it shall ignite when next and opponent frees it from your body, other effects of that sort. Generally in line with the intent and focus of the spell, but can work counter to it in a few instances.

“Soup?,” Esmeralda the skeleton-nun offers, and, slightly weary, you accept. It smells savory, and carefully, you have a taste. It does not… taste like rotted frog, human intestine, or demon’s blood. It tastes like someone did their darndest with very bland ingredients. It’s warm, and nurishing, and fortifies you well. You have a second helping, then push yourself properly to your legs, and walk over to the chains she mentioned. Rusted menacles, still stuck in the walls. You pry them loose and hold them. A Weapon… for now. You turn back to Esmeralda the Skeleton-nun.
“Thank you,” you say. “For the soup. And the chat.”
“It is no problem. Enjoy it while it lasts; once you join the Wasting Legion, such joys will be lost to you.” Her creaky, ecchoey voice sounds… wistful.
“Join the Wasting Legion? I will do no such thing!”
In response, she just… looks at you. Wistfully.

“Well. Is there anything else i can help you with?” she asks. She sounds.. Resigned.
Well? Is there? What do you respond?
A: Let me burn your body and shelter your soul. I can carry you to my vengene against the dark master of this accursed place.
B: No. You have done enough.
C: Another bowl of soup, please?

Regardless, it is time for you to go, eventually. But where? There is… an opening in the cieling, covered in shadows and darkness. You seem to be somewhere in the dungeons, so obviously, you should climb up! You’ll have to climb up the moss on the wall, and then about three arm-lengths on to the opening.
Or you could go down. There is a grate, beneath which courses a river of blood. With your newfound rusted chain, try to pry open the grate, jump into the slow-flowling river of blood, and swim against the stream. Obviously, dracula will be drinking from the source of this foul watercourse.
Alternatively, there are doors open both to the right and to the left.

Where do you go?
D: Up!
E: Down!
F: Right!
G: Left!
H: .. Something else?

Oh, and Questions remain open, and since i'm the one counting, Approval voting for this round only
Also: this is really late with me, so i may be 5-10 hours late with passing the torch. whoever votes last when the time is up is welcome to just take it.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1A. It's the least we could do for her. Plus that means we have a potential new ally we can summon.
2G.

quote:

Also: this is really late with me, so i may be 5-10 hours late with passing the torch. whoever votes last when the time is up is welcome to just take it.

Although it is certainly appreciated that people say who the next GM is at the end of the voting period, it is not required that you do so.

(If any non-GM sees that the voting period has ended, please feel free to post that voting had ended and who the next GM is).

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Make a note to pour holy water into this water. Hope you like the taste Dracula! :v:

C. Don’t stop until we are incapable of drinking more.

H. Summom Flame Wraith to scout all direction. Listen to their angry rant of reports. In fact, use the second spell to make them Greater Flame Wraith to murder all the undead they find in those path.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

B. Let's not overstay our welcome, lest we become too comfortable.

G. :goleft:

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Bee Bonk posted:

B. Let's not overstay our welcome, lest we become too comfortable.

G. :goleft:

Same. B and G

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

BG

megane
Jun 20, 2008

B

G

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
A: You feel it too, don't you? Life, death - we're not allowed either. As long as Dracula lives, we can only suffer. Come with me.
E: Go deeper.

Dog Kisser posted:

That is the game you signed for, yeah! Permadeath isn't part of the arrangement from minute one. Not being able to lose doesn't at all mean this story is guaranteed a happy ending, though, and the journey is the fun part.
This game doesn't have permadeath - just like Buddhist hell.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
C soup you can never have too much soup

Nyaa posted:

H. Summom Flame Wraith to scout all direction. Listen to their angry rant of reports. In fact, use the second spell to make them Greater Flame Wraith to murder all the undead they find in those path.[/B]

This

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The voting period has ended, and the winning options are:
1B. Answer "No, you have done enough" to Esmeralda's question.
2G. Go through the left door.

Our next GM is MinutePirateBug.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
There is a chittering from Esmeralda as you tun to leave, Esmeralda’s head twists a hundred and eighty degrees, with an audible sound of bone grinding on bone, which makes you cringe. She leans backwards placing her hands on the ground and skitters off on all four limbs like some kind of spider. You pass through a black oaken door which leads into a long corridor comprised of unworked limestone block walls and mottled granite cobblestones. The humidity of the air is quite high and the walls are streaked with precipitate and covered in condensation that glistens in the gloomy light of the sconces lining the hallway. As you proceed your shoulder itches and you hear a sardonic laughter. You scratch your shoulder on reflex, as you do so you feel a blinding pain in your eyes which causes you to wince.

You suddenly feel incredibly nauseous and you lean into yourself as the sensation of a sharp stabbing pain comes from your belly. Placing your hands against your stomach reflexively to ease the pain and nausea, you see your abdomen suddenly bulge out a hand’s breadth in a vaguely half-ovoid shape - the bulge moves rapidly around your midsection like a blind rat crawling through your body trying to escape it. You scream, but your scream is cut off suddenly as an acidic and bitter tasting liquid fills your throat and mouth. Suddenly you are vomiting , not just vomiting but projecting a stream , no a torrent of yellowish chunky liquid so powerful that it forces you out of your crouched stance. The rushing river of chunky material flowing from your mouth easily goes twenty feet down the hall.

You hear a clack of footsteps behind you and then the voice of Esmeralda the skeleton “Oh hello child I didn’t mean to bother you, but I think I accidentally gave you something to eat that I shouldn’t have and I wanted to….” as you accidentally turn to face her the stream of vomit knocks her off her skeletony feet and causes her to go sliding down the hallway.

And then your head begins spinning around like a fidget spinner on PCP, spraying everything in a 360 degree arc around your body in a slick putrescence. You grab your head with both hands stopping its insane gyration. You heave one more time, but this seems to be the last of it.

Your attention turns to the incredible itchiness in your shoulder, as you look at it, you see an eyeball looking back at you and… Oh god it is growing! To your horror a face begins to form around the eye on your shoulder. An incredible pain comes over you causing you to writhe on the floor in agony as the thing on your shoulder gets bigger and bigger.

“What’s the matter toots? Frog got your tongue” sardonic laughter echoes in the hallway as you convulse helplessly.

Finally the pain stops and you feel a great weight leave your body. As your eyes regain focus you see a figure - a mirror image of yourself. It matches your features in ever way, even in dress.

“Is baby going to cry huh huh huh?” she cackles at you.

What do you do?
A. Cast The Remembered Flame Avenges and have fiery avenging spirits tear the evil duplicate to bits
B. Cast The Ember Ignites A Thousand Flames
C. Punch your clone in her smug face
D. Leave goof ball alone and continue down the corridor
E. Leave goof ball alone and backtrack
F. Check on Esmeralda the skeleton
G. Gee, this an odd hallucination, I really shouldn’t of eaten that soup
H. Ask the duplicate what it is
I. Write-in
J. Kiss her - reach for Divinity (super secret option!)

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 9, 2018

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

B!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C face punching solves most problems

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Should have picked the gun as our weapon.

B You must be able to defeat yourself before you can defeat Dracula.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mike Tyson posted:

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 9, 2018

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B.Cast it on self to make the cancer stronger

megane
Jun 20, 2008

When faced with an evil duplicate of yourself, step one is always to C) sock yourself in the face. That's just common sense, even babies know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

megane posted:

When faced with an evil duplicate of yourself, step one is always to C) sock yourself in the face. That's just common sense, even babies know it.

This is wise advice passed down by the elders of yore. C.

• Locked thread