Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I've hiked Mt. Baldy twice (including one trip in some snow), and I am thinking about hiking up San Gorgonio. Perhaps I'll try Whitney next year.

Do I understand it right, that for a day hike, I do not need any approvals? I just fill out the form and carry it with me? I can show up on any day I want?

Also, are there any web pages that show the current trail conditions? I would prefer to do the hike in some snow, at the same time I want to avoid avalanches. I have had good experiences with this for temperature and wind forecasts, but I have no way of assessing snow/ice/avalanche conditions.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I believe you are correct about the permits, but it's been awhile since I went there.

For trail conditions/reports you can look at:
http://sgwa.org/forums/forum/trail-conditions/

So Cal Snow Avalanche Center is in general good to look at for SoCal peaks in winter, but I very much doubt there is any avalanche concern on San Gorgonio or in SoCal in general. Even in in the high sierra right now, there has generally not been enough snow accumulation or recent snow for serious avalanches to be a concern. Due to the very warm temps we've been having, any risk that does exist is for small loose wet "avalanches" or slides. There is no almost risk of being buried pretty much anywhere in California right now, and definitely not in San Gorgonio. If descending in the afternoon, steep slopes may be awkward due easily sliding snow, but as long as you aren't in terrain where a short slide would be perilous you should be OK. Despite the warmth we have been having, any snow that is present may be hard or icy in the morning, and can get crunchy pretty fast as the sun goes down.

For what it's worth, I haven't been to SoCal this year but I was in the Hoover wilderness / Sawtooth range in January and around Castle Peak and Round Top / Sisters this last weekend. Avalanche risk was pretty much zilch on all of these outings.

As the weeks go by and we get more hours of sunlight, if these very warm temps persist, then loose/wet avalanches may become more of a concern. Right now though, I wouldn't worry about it especially in SoCal. As always, conditions may change so check for a recent avalanche forecast before going up any mountain.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Morbus posted:

I believe you are correct about the permits, but it's been awhile since I went there.

For trail conditions/reports you can look at:
http://sgwa.org/forums/forum/trail-conditions/

So Cal Snow Avalanche Center is in general good to look at for SoCal peaks in winter, but I very much doubt there is any avalanche concern on San Gorgonio or in SoCal in general. Even in in the high sierra right now, there has generally not been enough snow accumulation or recent snow for serious avalanches to be a concern. Due to the very warm temps we've been having, any risk that does exist is for small loose wet "avalanches" or slides. There is no almost risk of being buried pretty much anywhere in California right now, and definitely not in San Gorgonio. If descending in the afternoon, steep slopes may be awkward due easily sliding snow, but as long as you aren't in terrain where a short slide would be perilous you should be OK. Despite the warmth we have been having, any snow that is present may be hard or icy in the morning, and can get crunchy pretty fast as the sun goes down.

For what it's worth, I haven't been to SoCal this year but I was in the Hoover wilderness / Sawtooth range in January and around Castle Peak and Round Top / Sisters this last weekend. Avalanche risk was pretty much zilch on all of these outings.

As the weeks go by and we get more hours of sunlight, if these very warm temps persist, then loose/wet avalanches may become more of a concern. Right now though, I wouldn't worry about it especially in SoCal. As always, conditions may change so check for a recent avalanche forecast before going up any mountain.

Thanks. I saw the forum, but I didn't want to completely rely on internet strangers who may or may not be complete idiots at identifying dangers/threats.

I remember the old web page for Mt. Baldy had a live webcam, along with a note stating whether the hiking trails were open, and a note on the avalanche conditions. Their new webpage doesn't have poo poo.

• Locked thread