Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I swear with each title down the series the BoS acts dumber and more xenophobic. Fallout 1 Brotherhood with Rhombus alive was almost a likeable and sane bunch of tin-heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
3 had a pretty cool Brotherhood... pay no attention to the Outcasts.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

:five: for "cannibal turducken", alone.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

why didn't you kill the blue orc and his floating can opener?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

EggsAisle posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a New Vegas LP get as far as one of the DLC's before. :toot:

OWB is a good DLC, and a lot of people's favorite. It's probably the best quality entry overall. I'm really looking forward to Dead Money as well, given our protagonist's... culinary adventurism.

This is the LP'er who did all of Guild Wars. Tremble before the terrible, monolithic will in whose presence you stand.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EggsAisle posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a New Vegas LP get as far as one of the DLC's before. :toot:

OWB is a good DLC, and a lot of people's favorite. It's probably the best quality entry overall. I'm really looking forward to Dead Money as well, given our protagonist's... culinary adventurism.

One of the last ones did Honest Hearts for sure, and maybe Dead Money?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm giving this dlc content 5 penises out of 5.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I cannot believe you're setting out into DLC-land before even entering the Strip, you crazy diamond, you.

Are you going to do all the companion quests? I guess it's entirely doable, if you know what you're doing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

GoneRampant posted:

One of the last ones did Honest Hearts for sure, and maybe Dead Money?

Someone did a really good Dead Money DLC LP, but I think there's so many different ways to go about things in this game there's always something new to learn.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I plan on doing all the companion quests (main game ones, at least), and yes, it IS possible. In fact, most of the companion quests link up with most of the locations in the game, so it all gels together.

As to why I'm doing what is considered the best DLC in the game (and all the Fallouts, if you ask me)... well, there are many reasons, one of them being that I want to show it off before the FNV LP Reaper decides that my time has come before finishing it like he has claimed many others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Psht, it's not even the best DLC in its own game.

Primarily because it's in a game containing Dead Money, which is the best DLC/self-contained story of any video game, but still.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think all of the New Vegas DLC are stellar in their own way, aside from Honest Hearts, which is pretty anemic.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Honest Hearts has my favorite weapon in the game though.

Love that Survivalist's Rifle.

Also, even more gear to make a Crit build even more powerful.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

While I still say OWB is the best dlc I can see the why someone would like dead money. It appeals to an entirely different type of gamer.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Am I the only one who loved Honest Hearts? I loved the enviroment and the exploring.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Psht, it's not even the best DLC in its own game.

Primarily because it's in a game containing Dead Money, which is the best DLC/self-contained story of any video game, but still.

Dead Money is the worst DLC in the game.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Unfortunately all the DLCs are terribly unfinished, all of them add equipment which is not well balanced or integrated with the main game.
There are very few talkative NPCs and hardly any choices.
It's very clear that there were much more developed plans which had to be scrapped.
The DLCs are a strong reason I really really want a remake by the same team.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Dead Money is the worst DLC in the game.

That’s a weird way to spell Old World Blues? :confused:

I get that a lot of people apparently love the whole 1950s ~MAD SCIENCE~ schtick, but a bunch of brains in jars and an evil mastermind called DOCTOR MOBIUS with an army of robotic minions just got way too goofy for me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dead money - great party members (esp christine and dean for very different reasons), good villain of the 'love to hate' variety, interesting but irritating attempt at survival gameplay outside, obnoxious beeping mechanics inside.
honest hearts - amazing background story re:survivalist, great environment, neat exploration and environments, but the main quest doesn't hold my interest despite the great voice acting
old world blues - I love the comedy, I love the Sink, I love the characters, I hate the bullet-spongy enemies and too frequent respawns of them.
lonesome road - eww. I don't ... no. best thing about it are the Long 15 and Dry Well and the decision to get there. And a baller outfit.

in other words, honest hearts and kind of owb for its gameplay, owb & dead money for the writing. Lonesome road wasn't my cup of tea at all.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 24, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All of the DLC deserved to be in a more purpose built game.
The base Fallout 3 gameplay doesn't translate well to their high concepts, and the engine is too imprecise to deal with them.

In fact I'd go so far to say that FO3 was the worst base for NV to be built off of.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In fact I'd go so far to say that FO3 was the worst base for NV to be built off of.

FTFY :colbert:

I actually agree with you, although I've never much liked the Bethesda engine in any of the Fallout games. Something about the clunky interface and lousy FPS execution really kills it for me. I love New Vegas to pieces, but it's in spite of the combat/interface, not because of it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Now, see, I have a soft spot for FO3. It was my first entry into the series, it had some skill checks based on perks and stats, it could be done pacifist (excluding the radroach in the tutorial), and it had a good amount of freedom.

FO4 is where all of that went away and really soured me on the direction Bethesda is taking the series.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

FO4 feels like they were aiming for a post-apocalyptic far cry knockoff...

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
My biggest gripe with FO4 is how they went beyond all-in on settlement creation.

Regretted buying the season pass when I realized how much of it was just more settlement crafting nonsense.

Far Harbor and Nuka World are great though. Far Harbor especially since I've been to Bar Harbor.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Of the time I've sunk I to FO4...

I think it's like 85% settlements. No hyperbole, I love building them.

Sim Settlements was supposed to make me spend less time on it, but it backfired, now I spend hours making the perfect raised cities. (I tend to build tons of foundations so my cities are mostly level).

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I only ever build one settlement, sanctuary if I can fast travel or somewhere central like hangman's alley if I can't.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I liked building settlements, but I usually didn't because of how much time it took to clear out the old junk lying around everywhere. While it would have been really annoying, it would have been a neat feature, maybe just as an optional thing, that when you "junked" a locked container it would go into the workshop inventory so you could unlock it later, or give you a penalty to the contents for resorting to force to open the darned thing.

on an actual structure note, did anybody else use one of the house foundations in Sanctuary to basically build a hanger for your Power Armor?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Doesn't junking a container put it's contents into your workshop?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Deathwind posted:

Doesn't junking a container put it's contents into your workshop?

Yes, but what they're saying is this makes any locked container superfluous in an area you can make into a settlement as you can simply junk the container which gives you the items without you playing the minigame or investing points into higher levels of lockpicking, etc. They wish for the minigame/skills to still have relevance after you clear a settlement to put your own stuff down.

Personally, I mod the game to remove the lockpicking/hacking minigames.

Edit: How 'bout that New Vegas game, anyhoo?

I hope ApeHawk beats the LP Curse so we can see Sun Vulchure's reactions to a certain verbose DLC character. Sun will probably be bearly able to handle his bullpoo poo.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2018

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I really want to see this reach the end of Lonesome Road to see just what Sun will choose.

Said choice may or may not be consequence free if you do it before ever going to The Strip.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

NOT GOOD WITH WORDS COURIER posted:

Hey! Let's you and me - you know, us! - let's overthrow Tabitha together!

This line is one of the best reasons to play a low-speech character. It sounds like a contender for the Lyttle Lytton contest.

ApeHawk, you said that most people go for Hardin instead of McNamara. What makes you say that? I always would've thought McNamara to be the common choice.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, with the Terrifying Presence perk, this particular scene is pretty good. Link is timestamped to this scene, but there are more in the video, so spoiler warning obviously.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 25, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Wugga posted:

ApeHawk, you said that most people go for Hardin instead of McNamara. What makes you say that? I always would've thought McNamara to be the common choice.

A good number of people are those who follow the rules and have a sore spot for those who break them, which McNamara technically did. Plus, the fact that his decision to go over Hardin's head got his patrols killed. But there are also those who just want to see what changes when Hardin takes over.

Of course, I'm probably just generalizing and could be totally wrong in these assumptions.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I always go with McNamara. I always saw his breaking the rules as actually being willing to maybe-make-changes-so-that-they-all-don't-die-in-a-hole.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Weeble posted:

3 had a pretty cool Brotherhood... pay no attention to the Outcasts.

3's sucked. There was no real like reason for them, beyond that they fight Super Mutants and are designated good guys.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Outcasts were 200% right.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Updates update: I cannot wait for these next two to be done.

Not just because of how great the first hour of the DLC is.

But because of all.

The.

loving.

Dialogue.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah, you kinda need a text dump ready to copy/paste from to avoid going insane with this dlc...

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Stago Lego posted:

Am I the only one who loved Honest Hearts? I loved the enviroment and the exploring.

You're not alone at all! Although I think it might just be the two of us...

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Zeroisanumber posted:

Outcasts were 200% right.

You are 200% wrong tho, so it evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Honest Hearts bottoms out most people's lists because it's the only DLC that could easily slot into the main Mojave map without feeling super out of place, and primarily just offers more content. The other three are very different, for better or worse.