Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Updates are postponed until YouTube stops being all broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

LP cancelled forever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

It's ok, just make it a text LP.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's working for me just now.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Kurui Reiten posted:

LP cancelled forever.

LP moved to Vimeo

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Solumin posted:

It's working for me just now.

I assume it's some obscure technical issue that only affects some. There have been countless similar issues that blow over in a few days. Ideally.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It was something Youtube itself tweeted about trying to fix, but I'm guessing they finished fixing whatever it was.

e: Guess not! However I don't think this affects mobile devices, only desktops, so there's a temporary solution for the moment.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 2, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I think the only plausible conclusion here is that my sudden influx of S-Rank Sonic 2006 videos broke YouTube.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 2, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

okay it's fixed now

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
My memory of this section is very fuzzy. I think I had a lot more trouble as Sonic than I did as Shadow.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is the level I always shared with people to show them the potential Sonic 06 had to be something really special. Let's see how it holds up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Haha gotta love how you went from highest praise to hating that speed section

even when it does something right it does something wrong

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think I discovered each and every one of those shortcuts in Radical Train because I kept game overing on the mach speed section (and yes, the non-shortcuttable conveyor parts really are the worst), so I'm super glad they put so many in. Each repetition was a little faster. Absolutely gently caress that mach speed section though, there is no way in the universe you're not getting hit by the criss-crossing trains, and then later by the explosion debris, and also by random blades of grass (they're sharp).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

This is the level I always shared with people to show them the potential Sonic 06 had to be something really special. Let's see how it holds up.

My favorite part of the mach speed section is that when shadow is doing it his vehicles take physics damage from riding over the railroad ties. And they can blow up. And shadow isn't fast enough to catch up with the train without the vehicles.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

My favorite part of the mach speed section is that when shadow is doing it his vehicles take physics damage from riding over the railroad ties. And they can blow up. And shadow isn't fast enough to catch up with the train without the vehicles.

Mh, at least he has a backup

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That was the first level that actually looked really fun.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah the Silver boss fight seems really easy once you understand that your basic attack must never, ever be used.

I like a level set up so that more skilled or knowledgeable players can find faster routes or extra goodies if they know where to go.

I saw the end of the mach speed section had an invincibility item, which seems rather pointless because it looks like the most dangerous thing about that section was avoiding jumping off into the abyss. Is there any way to "ground" yourself, or is it all freehand stick control? I remember later Sonic games let you quickly adjust your positioning with the shoulder buttons, but this looks like the most you hope for controlling trajectory is to ring dash. The mach speed section designs are just bizarre. The way they are so woefully unpolished and how they force you to beat the level each time before tackling the mach speed part is eerily similar to gameplay "walls" some older videogames had for the explicit purpose of making sure kids would have to rent the videogame more than once to get enough practice to beat the level.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh you just wish they had come up with the easy "lane switching" with the shoulder buttons for Sonic 06. The only thing you can control is his vague trajectory, and that means that if you nudge the control stick a tiny bit he immediately tries to veer off into the nearest wall. If you dare to touch the jump button, Sonic will fly towards probably certain doom for the next five minutes, uncontrollable by you. You see, this mach speed section is so unbelievably bad because you have to jump to avoid the trains, but jumping is complete suicide, so the game basically forces you to die again and again until you get, by pure chance, the angle right.

Iirc if you hit the wrong speed-up pad ramp, you crash into the wall and die horribly. Like they didn't program this one ramp's impact point to be a "Sonic hops on and on towards random targets" startup point. So it just kills you instead. I've also fallen off loops here because I went onto speedups just wrong enough. It's a complete and utter nightmare to play because there's a billion tiny ways in which it does not work. At all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I had a look at last year's GDC presentation by the Breath of the Wild devs, and one of the things they mentioned was that they were using "liars' physics" - rather than trusting the physics engine to feed back into their gameplay, they were using it as a connector and to create "physics special effects" to give people the impression that the world worked through physics.

Which is more work on the dev end, obviously, but also prevents a stray screw from an intricately-modeled exploding train car wrecking your S-rank.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Solumin posted:

That was the first level that actually looked really fun.

It's good, and I wish it stayed good

Bricoleur posted:

Yeah the Silver boss fight seems really easy once you understand that your basic attack must never, ever be used.

I like a level set up so that more skilled or knowledgeable players can find faster routes or extra goodies if they know where to go.

I saw the end of the mach speed section had an invincibility item, which seems rather pointless because it looks like the most dangerous thing about that section was avoiding jumping off into the abyss. Is there any way to "ground" yourself, or is it all freehand stick control? I remember later Sonic games let you quickly adjust your positioning with the shoulder buttons, but this looks like the most you hope for controlling trajectory is to ring dash. The mach speed section designs are just bizarre. The way they are so woefully unpolished and how they force you to beat the level each time before tackling the mach speed part is eerily similar to gameplay "walls" some older videogames had for the explicit purpose of making sure kids would have to rent the videogame more than once to get enough practice to beat the level.

Simply Simon posted:

Oh you just wish they had come up with the easy "lane switching" with the shoulder buttons for Sonic 06. The only thing you can control is his vague trajectory, and that means that if you nudge the control stick a tiny bit he immediately tries to veer off into the nearest wall. If you dare to touch the jump button, Sonic will fly towards probably certain doom for the next five minutes, uncontrollable by you. You see, this mach speed section is so unbelievably bad because you have to jump to avoid the trains, but jumping is complete suicide, so the game basically forces you to die again and again until you get, by pure chance, the angle right.

Iirc if you hit the wrong speed-up pad ramp, you crash into the wall and die horribly. Like they didn't program this one ramp's impact point to be a "Sonic hops on and on towards random targets" startup point. So it just kills you instead. I've also fallen off loops here because I went onto speedups just wrong enough. It's a complete and utter nightmare to play because there's a billion tiny ways in which it does not work. At all.

Yeah, Simon has it right. There's no hope of controlling Sonic, and jumping at most points is suicide because of the bizarre angles of everything in that section, plus the complete inability to control him in the air

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

I had a look at last year's GDC presentation by the Breath of the Wild devs, and one of the things they mentioned was that they were using "liars' physics" - rather than trusting the physics engine to feed back into their gameplay, they were using it as a connector and to create "physics special effects" to give people the impression that the world worked through physics.

Which is more work on the dev end, obviously, but also prevents a stray screw from an intricately-modeled exploding train car wrecking your S-rank.

Do you have a link? That sounds interesting?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I love that you're praising this level so much. Pokecapn's old LP is one of my favorites and this was the first level that started to drive him insane.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TheFattestPat posted:

I love that you're praising this level so much. Pokecapn's old LP is one of my favorites and this was the first level that started to drive him insane.

People gotta mellow out

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nebrilos posted:

Do you have a link? That sounds interesting?

Yeah, here it is on the official GDC channel.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i love hearing developers talk about their games but i'm terrified of it simultaneously

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I like this one.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's cool seeing the game's stages out of context of the story. Sonic is just holding a human lady every so often without explanation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

judge reinhold posted:

It's cool seeing the game's stages out of context of the story. Sonic is just holding a human lady every so often without explanation.

Unfortunately this also means we miss the Trials of Soleana where we watch sonic declare his undying love to the human lady after game-overing a few hundred times in a game of hide and seek.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Unfortunately this also means we miss the Trials of Soleana where we watch sonic declare his undying love to the human lady after game-overing a few hundred times in a game of hide and seek.

You can still S rank that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Trials of Soleanna are a mistake I would rather not suffer through again personally.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

People gotta mellow out

It's hard to mellow out when you're trying to marathon a game you know is bad and have never played before overnight.
Really it's this move towards livestreaming culture born out of this kind of marathon mentality that really leads to bad opinions and play styles.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TCat posted:

Really it's this move towards livestreaming culture born out of this kind of marathon mentality that really leads to bad opinions and play styles.

Agree. I don't see the point in playing something you actively think you'll dislike, unless you're trying to prove yourself wrong.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I play a lot of games I think are completely terrible, but I usually have a lot of fun doing so, "dislike" therefore is definitely the wrong word.

Most recently I played all the way through Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness with my wife and we were laughing our asses off all the way through. The game can't even claim to have good level design in places, it's an utter trash fire from start to finish, but it was some of the most fun we had playing games together. A++, would suffer through again if blind because holy poo poo the places those animation glitches go!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Simply Simon posted:

I play a lot of games I think are completely terrible, but I usually have a lot of fun doing so, "dislike" therefore is definitely the wrong word.

Most recently I played all the way through Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness with my wife and we were laughing our asses off all the way through. The game can't even claim to have good level design in places, it's an utter trash fire from start to finish, but it was some of the most fun we had playing games together. A++, would suffer through again if blind because holy poo poo the places those animation glitches go!

AoD annoyed me because my copy was broken - I got to the Trials of the greek Gods, but on the second or third one it refused to load.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Ironic enjoyment of bad games is its own thing, there's definitely fun to be had playing games that are broken in the right ways. See: Magus.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

AoD annoyed me because my copy was broken - I got to the Trials of the greek Gods, but on the second or third one it refused to load.
I'd say you didn't miss much, but the game is actually really long for how obviously unfinished it is at the same time (hm that reminds me of a certain other game), and it only gets crazier (and worse) as it goes on. So, condolences, I guess!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I didn't know CORE handed the rights of Tomb Raider over to Crystal Dynamics after Angel of Darkness. That's.. depressing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

[there used to be a video here but youtube slipped it into a crack between dimensions]

Shadow's physics enabled vehicles are a little less scary than Sonic's Mach Speed section.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 10, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

nevermind youtube placed that video in purgatory and i hate youtube rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Despite having never played the game I'm finding this LP and the commentary very entertaining.

• Locked thread