Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Very impressive- but, how many of those shortcuts do you think were not intended by the developers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the ones involving wall jumps and the rainbow rings had to be programmed intentionally, but that last one involving the lightspeed dash def looked like a happy accident

either way, finishing that stage in under 2 minutes is hilarious

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I think Sonic Team intentionally includes shortcuts in absurd places, dating all the way back to the original Adventure

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I can't believe that you're making this game look this playable. The ideas and set pieces of the levels were good and these S rank runs make them actually look fun.

You're making the pumpkin into a carriage, you madman of a magician! This LP is amazing, it's a glimpse of what could have been.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

pointlessone posted:

I can't believe that you're making this game look this playable. The ideas and set pieces of the levels were good and these S rank runs make them actually look fun.

You're making the pumpkin into a carriage, you madman of a magician! This LP is amazing, it's a glimpse of what could have been.

I'm going to save this post because it makes me feel good about myself

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Its all true, I wanted to say much the same thing.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 9, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You're crazy, but I just wanted to say that this is a very interesting take on the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Its all true, I wanted to say much the same thing.

Thanks, genuinely

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're crazy, but I just wanted to say that this is a very interesting take on the game.

I'm not sure it's a take, so much as I'm just using the game mechanics for their intended purposes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
S-Rank Soleanna's Apple Festival

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Discendo Vox posted:

S-Rank Soleanna's Apple Festival

That one is actually really easy because you can just die after getting enough apples to succeed, which resets your timer to 0 but still counts as a win, so you get an absurd time bonus.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There's a little-known glitch where you can use the apples to push Paganini into the nearby cliffside, which causes him to launch into the game's code. The same clumsiness that caused him to up-end the barrels and spill the apples everywhere will cause the game itself to up-end, spilling the entire universe. If the player waits approximately 3 hours as the broken pieces of reality swirl around, the mission will then reset and the game's physics will now allow for the kind of precision that will make placing apples in barrels possible without wobbling Silver around left and right to clump the apples in the vague shape required to drop them maybe somewhere in the general vicinity of the barrel's openings.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

If they would have removed the snowboarding segment before release, I would adore this level. The snowboarding is one of those few instances -outside of Town Missions- where it's seemingly impossible to make use of the mechanics to their full potential.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I cracked up at the ending. Not sure what Sonic was going on about there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It feels almost insulting that you can skip what are supposed to be combat sections just that easily.

But with that grind rail after the spotlight, I guess you're supposed to.

Part of the problem with this game is that it's pretty bad about hinting to you how you actually can go fast.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last section of the level is so open that you can legitimately wander around and get lost. I think the idea was to forge your own route and decide what was/wasn't important to your high score run. You could definitely fight more enemies and get an S-Rank that way, but I prefer my style.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I mean, you can literally go through the lasers to the right of where you start in that section, and go right to the end of the level in like twenty seconds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's kinda just a giant mostly empty circle that they dropped some objects into haphazardly.
it's easy to get lost there because the game is really terrible at guiding you with visual elements and the camera is inherently disorienting.
like, okay the game is playable at times, if you approach it in the right manner, but I'm not really seeing much "game design" here. the levels are very slapped together and nothing really flows together in a sensible way. the game is at its "best" when it's limiting your possible engagement with the mechanics as much as possible (because the mechanics suck) so that all you need to do is press A a few times

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 10, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

I mean, you can literally go through the lasers to the right of where you start in that section, and go right to the end of the level in like twenty seconds.

But do I get to climb the searchlight if I do that?

Augus posted:

it's kinda just a giant mostly empty circle that they dropped some objects into haphazardly.
it's easy to get lost there because the game is really terrible at guiding you with visual elements and the camera is inherently disorienting.
like, okay the game is playable at times, if you approach it in the right manner, but I'm not really seeing much "game design" here. the levels are very slapped together and nothing really flows together in a sensible way. the game is at its "best" when it's limiting your possible engagement with the mechanics as much as possible (because the mechanics suck) so that all you need to do is press A a few times

I feel the final section of White Acropolis better suits Shadow than it does Sonic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"I kinda want to eat a dick" *immediately faceplants into wall*

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

"I kinda want to eat a dick" *immediately faceplants into wall*

Sonic does not turn with grace

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

He has no style
He has no grace
This hedgehog has
poorly considered point and viewpoint perspective-derived turning radius problems inherited from previous games

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Watching all the speedruns that I have, the way you avoid taking damage from the snowball is glitching out the speed of the snowboard so you're moving at like 2.5x speed and it can't keep up with you. Every other playthrough gets hit at least once and sometimes misses the final jump

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

He has no style
He has no grace
This hedgehog has
poorly considered point and viewpoint perspective-derived turning radius problems inherited from previous games

his turning's considerably worse in this one

The Door Frame posted:

Watching all the speedruns that I have, the way you avoid taking damage from the snowball is glitching out the speed of the snowboard so you're moving at like 2.5x speed and it can't keep up with you. Every other playthrough gets hit at least once and sometimes misses the final jump

i wish the snowboarding just worked

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So, you're playing this on the PS3 right?
Cause, uhh...

Yes they figured out a way how to make Silver's Dusty Desert even worse.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I refuse to play the missions on anything other than "Normal" difficulty, but I am aware of the infamously un-inspired DLC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

So, you're playing this on the PS3 right?
Cause, uhh...

Yes they figured out a way how to make Silver's Dusty Desert even worse.

My deepest, darkest wish is for sonic 2006 to come out on steam with all these DLC.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

My deepest, darkest wish is for sonic 2006 to come out on steam with all these DLC.

There's a Unity port in the works, at least.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A good poster posted:

There's a Unity port in the works, at least.

i'm 99% sure it's not going to be finished since the lead programmer left

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Are you planning to show the story at some point? Or it is just irredeemable, even in your eyes?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HardDiskD posted:

Are you planning to show the story at some point? Or it is just irredeemable, even in your eyes?

i think the story is the second least broken thing about the game (the best part of the game bein' the music of course), but enough people have seen the story and heard about the story that i don't feel the need to go over that

it's not like i can s-rank the cutscenes or anything, sadly

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

it's not like i can s-rank the cutscenes or anything

Quitter.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

alright, i laughed

if anyone can find some sort of measure for me to "S-Rank" the cutscenes, i'll make an extra video

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The obvious answer is to be able to voice over the cut-scenes, to prove your mastery of the story that you can voice the characters.

The more accurate your words and emotions are to the characters the better Rank you get.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Speed run the cutscenes. How fast can you press start, then down, then X to skip? It's actually a frame perfect trick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Impressive skills, but even then that level looked as cack-handed as gently caress.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

The obvious answer is to be able to voice over the cut-scenes, to prove your mastery of the story that you can voice the characters.

The more accurate your words and emotions are to the characters the better Rank you get.

I don't think my microphone could handle that

Earnestly posted:

Speed run the cutscenes. How fast can you press start, then down, then X to skip? It's actually a frame perfect trick.

I'm not cut out for frame-perfect inputs

Samovar posted:

Impressive skills, but even then that level looked as cack-handed as gently caress.

It's an understatement to say it's flawed, but I think everyone knows that already

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Just steal this video from the REAL Sonic fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0RfvnuVqg

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

Just steal this video from the REAL Sonic fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0RfvnuVqg

He may be real, unlike myself, but is he passionate?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i'm 99% sure it's not going to be finished since the lead programmer left

Not being finished didn't stop this game from being released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ScurvyKip posted:

Not being finished didn't stop this game from being released.

I don't think the developers of the Unity port had a big publisher like Sega to answer to, or money to lose

• Locked thread