Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I've always thought that people focus too much on the gameplay and glitchiness of Sonic '06 when pointing out how bad it is. The game was released in a beta stage so it makes sense that the groundwork for the level design is there and you can see similar elements to what was in the Adventure games. With more time and work it would have been more enjoyable and in line with the other 3D Sonic games.

My beef is with certain other parts of the game. The aesthetics are so bland that even if the graphics had more work put into them they would still lack charm and creativity. The adventure fields are too large, confusing and barren. The story is a train wreck. I don't know why it was decided that Sonic needed to be in a super realistic world with super realistic humans, or that this needed to be a soft reboot for the franchise. Even if the game was given another year or so of development these problems would still have persisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

GamesAreSupernice posted:

you either play 2D sonic slowly and deliberately, or memorize everything

So just like how you play 3D Sonic games.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

I love that you're praising this level so much. Pokecapn's old LP is one of my favorites and this was the first level that started to drive him insane.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Bricoleur posted:

I think, in the pokecapn LP at least, he was trying to prove people wrong because people have always said 3D Sonic games were rear end, broken, etc. Princess Elise was cringe but surely people were overblowing it with how bad Sonic 2006 was. He expected it to be mediocre, and was unprepared for what a trainwreck it was and add the long loading times, beating the game in one sitting was an absolute nightmare.

He didn't do the Let's Play to prove people wrong, he just wanted to see first hand what was going on with this game. Yes, his expectations were that reviewers were exaggerating how bad the game was, but he had never played it so the point was to give it a fair chance and come to his own conclusion.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

You spent a decent amount of time crapping on the original Sonic the Hedgehog, and as a fan of that game it would be bad if I didn't say something to defend it.

I love playing 3, but 2 never clicked with me for some reason. I have a strange fondness for the original game. There's some kind of charm to it that I'm not sure how to identify. Maybe it has something to due with its simplicity, or just that this was the game that launched the series in the first place. I don't mind the slower zones like Marble and Scrap Brain. I love platformers so having levels that are more dedicated to that aspect is fine with me. The nice thing about it is if you play the game repeatedly and start to learn the level layouts you can take advantage of Sonic's speed in certain parts. Like those blocks you have to ride in Marble zone, if you know where to get an invincibility monitor you can just run through some of those sections. Or even without it you can still run and jump your way over if you know how. I guess I'm looking at it in a "glass half full" kind of way. But yes the game is not without it's flaws. Those areas in Spring Yard where you have to wait for the blocks to move are stupid, and Labyrinth Zone can go to hell. This was the first game and Sonic Team hadn't nailed the formula yet, so yes it stumbles sometimes.

Watching you play 06, I'm seeing some parallels to how I feel about the original game. I mentioned Pokecapn's old let's play earlier, and that was back when no one knew much about how to play this game. He ended up having to brute force his way through. But you know what's going on in these levels. You know which boost pads to avoid, which enemies to fight, shortcuts to take, and how to handle the mach speed sections. You can breeze through with an S rank, and actually get some enjoyment out of the experience. The original game isn't too different in that regard.

• Locked thread