Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match of the Month
This poll is closed.
Sam Adonis vs Negro Casas 0 0%
Roppongi 3K (c) vs The Young Bucks 0 0%
Cody vs Kota Ibushi 0 0%
Minoru Suzuki (c) vs Hirooki Goto 1 1.67%
Fatal Fourway match for IWGP Jr. Heavyweight 0 0%
Kenny Omega (c) vs Chris Jericho 9 15.00%
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito 2 3.33%
Barbaro Cavernario vs Volador Jr. 0 0%
Mustafa Ali vs Cedric Alexander 0 0%
Mephisto vs Titán 0 0%
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki 6 10.00%
Alistair Black vs Adam Cole 3 5.00%
Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano 33 55.00%
The Young Bucks (c) vs Roppongi 3K 1 1.67%
30 Man Royal Rumble 1 1.67%
30 Woman Royal Rumble 0 0%
Asuka vs Sasha Banks 0 0%
None of the Above/Other 4 6.67%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hello, and welcome to the first monthly Rowdy Ringsports' Match of the Month. This is open to all sports that this forum covers, although the initial list is taken primarily from the Pro-Wrestling Matches of the Year thread. I do not follow the non-pro wrestling side of the forum well enough to know what matches were considered great, and the lack of a Real Matches of the Year thread leaves me without any source to quickly gather from. Matches are eligible for match of the month based upon when they become widely available (TV broadcast, streaming broadcast, DVD release, etc) with a bit more wiggle room for matches only on physical releases.

If you have a match that you believe deserves a nomination for future polls, please PM me with the names of the participants, the promotion, the date, and a short summary or argument for the match that I can jot down.

If you see any issues with formatting or links not working, please let me know in this thread. All descriptions were either hastily written by me or taken from another user on this forum. If you see a match without a description (or one you think is poor) and would like to change that, please post a description in this thread.

Sam Adonis vs Negro Casas in a Hair vs Hair match (CMLL Sin Piedad - Jan 01 - starts at 01:59:35)
Sam Adonis goes after a second CMLL legend’s hair and turns in his top performance yet. As was the case in the Mexico vs Trump match-up with Blue Panther, the crowd is nuclear and rightfully so. Negro is an all-timer and he gets the best possible out of Sam. Must see. Special mention to Sam’s trunks, Sam’s “seconds,” and Sam’s 450. And every big move that Negro Casas takes. By the way, Negro’s rib was broken the entire third fall.
Description taken from Boco_T

Roppongi 3K (c) vs The Young Bucks for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championships (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
Matt and Sho both took bad back bumps early, to limit the amount of high spots both teams were capable of doing. A good match centered around giving the middle finger to everyone who said they don't sell or use psychology in their matches. Some of the early back bumps did look really risky.

Cody vs Kota Ibushi in a JAPAN X USA HANDSOME BATTLE (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
An oddly structured match in that the story revolved partially around someone not competing in the match. Cody had been butting heads with Kenny Omega over leadership of the Bullet Club and attacked Ibushi in the hopes of enraging Omega. Ibushi initially only agreed to this match as it was for the ROH title, but Cody lost that shortly before the event. As a result Ibushi found himself fighting more to defend Kenny from Cody's mindgames than for any material good.

Minoru Suzuki (c) vs Hirooki Goto in a Hair vs Hair, No Seconds match for the Never Openweight Championship (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
After Suzuki taunted Goto for his history of choking when the stakes were high, Goto put his hair on the line for a title shot against Suzuki. Suzuki agreed, put his own hair on the line, and also forbade Suzuki-Gun from interfering in the match. He wanted Suzuki to have absolutely no excuses when it came time to shave his hair off. While the match was excellent, it will probably be remembered more for the post-match drama of the head shave. There were two nasty headbutts, one of which had a similar sound to the headbutt which ended Shibata's career.

Marty Scurll (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA in a Fatal Fourway match for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
I'm having difficulty describing the story of this match, as part of it seems to call back to past matches in ROH, the British Indies, and New Japan from before I began watching. I would appreciate if someone with more knowledge of the story would write a summary for me to use.

Kenny Omega (c) vs Chris Jericho in a No-Disqualifications Match for the IWGP United States Championship (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
A very simple story based upon an ambush-centric blood feud between two wrestlers who both lay claim to the title of Best in the World. Both wrestlers came in looking to hurt each other as much as possible, even to the point of breaking NJPW rules against purposeful bleeding. At one point Jericho avoided a springboard plancha, which caused Omega to take out the English announce table. A little while later, Jericho hit Omega with some of the equipment, resulting in a few minutes without commentary on the English stream. A nice little effect. The match as a whole reminded me of the WWE Style, although taken further and harder than typically allowed by the WWE. A few nasty chair shots to the heads of the competitors.

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 - Jan 04)
In the build up to this match, Naito became fixated on redeeming his failure as a draw at Wrestle Kingdom 8 by proving he was main event potential. He began to use the Stardust Press (always eating poo poo), reiterated he was "New Japan's new top star", and became angry over Jericho bragging about having a double main event at the Tokyo Dome. Okada needled him on, hoping it would result in Naito losing the tranquilo that had brought him so much success. The story of the match was essentially that: Naito had several moments in which he could have won, if he had just kept his cool. At the end of the day though, Okada drove him the point of what it means to be the Ace of New Japan: to win when everything is stacked against you, even the narrative.

Barbaro Cavernario vs Volador Jr. for the NWA Welterweight Title (CMLL/NJPW Fantastica Mania - Jan 21 - starts at 1:59:00)
Volador was at his most Volador (which I understand to be divisive but I love the dude) and Cavernario kept up every step of the way. Crowd was hot for both wrestlers, and Cavernario is super over.

Mustafa Ali vs Cedric Alexander (Official highlight reel) (WWE 205 Live - Jan 23)
The self-destruction of Enzo Amore and the utter derailing of WWE's plans for the Cruiserweight title resulted in the perfect storm of curious attention from fans and a lack of time for WWE's booking to get in its own way. Instead Ali and Alexander were sent out to just have the best match the two could have in a vacuum, and they immediately shifted into Cruiserweight Classic mode, the style from the tournament that was received so well it caused the creation of 205 Live in the first place. It was a beautiful reminder what could have been, what still could be, and just what the talent on 205 Live are capable of.
Description written by Jerusalem

Mephisto vs Titán for the CMLL Welterweight Championship (CMLL Martes De Nuevos Valores En Arena Mexico - Jan 23 - starts at 1:38:15)
A title match in Arena Mexico on a Tuesday that was good enough to rival Volador/Cavernario's battle in Japan. Agility versus punishment is the story here. Titán is giving it his all and the crowd is into it. They have a very long third fall, which is the key to the best title matches in CMLL. I bought into the near falls at the end, and the actual finish was cool.
Description taken from Boco_T

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship (NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo night 1 - Jan 27 - starts at 2:36:40)
Suzuki's sadism and Tanahashi's refusal to give up came to a head during this match. Suzuki constantly attacked the injured right knee and biceps of Tanahashi, who through herculean effort managed to stay in this match. After a grueling 32 minutes, Red Shoes Unno called for a stoppage for the sake of Tanahashi's health.

Alistair Black vs Adam Cole in an Extreme Rules match (NXT Takeover: Philadelphia - Jan 27 - starts at 1:07:30)
Black and Cole set out to destroy each other, although Cole was far more committed to the idea of using weapons. Lots of accidental blood from the usage of international objects, and Cole took the most ridiculous bump. This caused the absolute best use of the "You deserve it" chant to happen at a WWE show.

Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT Takeover: Philadelphia - Jan 27 - starts at 1:41:25)
I tried to pull some quotes from the Recommendations thread to save me time, because all I can think about this match is "holy poo poo". Unfortunately that's just about all anyone else could say about this near perfect match.

The Young Bucks (c) vs Roppongi 3K for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championships (NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo night 2 - Jan 28 - starts at 2:10:55)
Similar structure to the WK12 match, although the selling was several notches higher and they didn't do as many risky bumps. One notable difference is Matt was out most of the match, and sold well enough that it seemed like the match was coming apart due to an unexpected injury. Purposefully putting that idea into the crowd's heads is pretty clever imo.

30 Man Royal Rumble (WWE Royal Rumble - Jan 28 - starts at 54:40)

30 Woman Royal Rumble (WWE Royal Rumble - Jan 28 - starts at 3:02:25)

Asuka vs Sasha Banks (Official highlight reel) (WWE Monday Night Raw - Jan 29)
It was a fairly good match (great for a TV match!) but hampered by Cole trying his absolute hardest to declare it an instant classic while the fans in the arena did not care. It's a shame they didn't though, because it was really really good aside from/because of what looked like a real nasty dive from Sasha into a kick from Asuka.

None of the Above/Other - If you truly believe none of these matches are noteworthy, this is for you. If you want to use this as a vote for 'Other', please state the participants, promotion, and date.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

At the start of the month I didn't think anything was likely to surpass Omega/Jericho as my favorite match of the month. By the end, it had "fallen" to third on my list, and I had to think long and hard about whether it was Suzuki's brutal torture of Tanahashi, or the amazing action of Gargano/Almas that topped my list. In the end I had to give it to Suzuki/Tanahashi because the story of the match was so incredibly well handled, but it was a close-run thing.

In regards to Mustafa Ali vs Cedric Alexander, here's what I'd write about it: The self-destruction of Enzo Amore and the utter derailing of WWE's plans for the Cruiserweight title resulted in the perfect storm of curious attention from fans and a lack of time for WWE's booking to get in its own way. Instead Ali and Alexander were sent out to just have the best match the two could have in a vacuum, and they immediately shifted into Cruiserweight Classic mode, the style from the tournament that was received so well it caused the creation of 205 Live in the first place. It was a beautiful reminder what could have been, what still could be, and just what the talent on 205 Live are capable of.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

At the start of the month I didn't think anything was likely to surpass Omega/Jericho as my favorite match of the month. By the end, it had "fallen" to third on my list, and I had to think long and hard about whether it was Suzuki's brutal torture of Tanahashi, or the amazing action of Gargano/Almas that topped my list. In the end I had to give it to Suzuki/Tanahashi because the story of the match was so incredibly well handled, but it was a close-run thing.

My thoughts exactly, and also the reason I'm giving my vote to Suzuki vs Tana.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I really liked Suzuki/Tanahashi, but I'm more of a mark for the WWE style tbh, and Gargano/Almas exemplified it perfectly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I accidentally voted for Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole. I am so sorry.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Baron Corbyn posted:

I accidentally voted for Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole. I am so sorry.

Don't feel bad, that would've been an easy MOTN on almost any other show ... and then the next match happened.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There are 24 hours left to vote. Don't feel bad if your vote doesn't contribute to someone winning , its showing your support that counts.

e: I'm thinking of changing the poll next month to allow voting for multiple matches. Any opinions?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 9, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And please, if there is a (legal!) link to a video of a match on the list you really wanted people to see (that isn't already linked in the OP), link it! Or talk up why you liked your match and why you incorrectly think it was better than Tanahashi vs Suzuki!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm legit fretting over which Suzuki match to pick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The aftermath of the Goto/Suzuki match really was incredible.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it was definitely 100% Suzuki vs. Goto

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

it was definitely 100% Suzuki vs. Goto

Go Ace :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He went all right, to the hospital!

Where I hope he stays and gets his many injuries treated so he can come back for a cool rematch many months from now :ohdear:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Suzuki vs Goto was my favorite match at the Dome. As good as his match against Tanahashi was, if you're going for one of them then Goto is the choice

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

He went all right, to the hospital!

Where I hope he stays and gets his many injuries treated so he can come back for a cool rematch many months from now :ohdear:

I kinda want Suzuki to go on a rampage, maiming Makabe, Ishii, Juice and so on, until like Power Struggle, then he cuts a post-match promo, cackling evilly, and then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqlTSQ57S54

You want to cripple the Ace, old man? Fine, try it when he's back to (1 in)100%.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda want Suzuki to go on a rampage, maiming Makabe, Ishii, Juice and so on, until like Power Struggle, then he cuts a post-match promo, cackling evilly, and then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqlTSQ57S54

You want to cripple the Ace, old man? Fine, try it when he's back to (1 in)100%.

Love and Energy is way better hth

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just really like the idea of guys using old music or gear or moves to represent being in the mindset or mode they were in when they originally used them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's what Naito does every time he eats poo poo on a Stardust Press.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TTBF posted:

That's what Naito does every time he eats poo poo on a Stardust Press.

And I love that!

(Also, I genuinely have a hard time remembering that Naito wrestled AJ Styles at WK9. I have no issues remembering the 4 guys in the top 2 matches, but I get to Styles and I remember Red Shoes screaming at him not to do the Clash from the middle rope, but half the time I have no idea who he was doing it to)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

here's the top five.

1. Tana vs. Suzuki
2. Suzuki vs. Goto
3. Sombra vs. Gargano
4. Jericho vs. Omega
5. Doering vs. Zeus

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Its a shame that WALTER vs Tim Thatcher at Progress 62 (1/28/18) for the Progress Atlas title got slept on.

The crowd was red hot, Ringkampf best buds absolutely beating the poo poo out of each other with nary a flippy maneuver or fancy holds, and a very emotional ending. It was the perfect throwback wrestling match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Its a shame that WALTER vs Tim Thatcher at Progress 62 (1/28/18) for the Progress Atlas title got slept on.

The crowd was red hot, Ringkampf best buds absolutely beating the poo poo out of each other with nary a flippy maneuver or fancy holds, and a very emotional ending. It was the perfect throwback wrestling match.

I agree. It's between that and Hiromu/Ospreay for my match of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You can view the votes by clicking on the image (including the 2 mentioned for WALTER vs Tim Thatcher) but I'm sure y'all already figured out the winner.

I saw nearly every match up for the poll this month, and it was a hell of a month for pro wrestling! We've started the year off with some real bangers, but the men formerly known as La Somba and Johnny Wrestling put on Rowdy Ringsports' Match of the Month. Many amazing matches across many amazing promotions, and it is a testament to these two performers that they managed to stand out so strongly.

If you have any matches you think deserve to be on February's Match of the Month poll, please give it an Honorable Mention or Match of the Year Candidate vote in The Best and Worst Matches thread. If you write a description of the match (or send one to me in PM) I may use it for February's poll. If you've got a match that you can't get any backing on, go ahead and send me a PM about it. I understand you can't always get support for less watched promotions, but if you can provide a legal link and an argument for the match I may include it. It seems WALTER vs Tim Thatcher should have been on this one!

I will be switching to allow people to cast multiple votes (but still only one per) next time, so people can vote for every match they think deserves to be called a match of the month. I hope it'll be more fun that way. Also if you have any ideas on how to display both the promotion and the match information in a smaller, but still readable, manner I would really appreciate it. My original idea to tile them in a 3x4 or 4x3 manner died when I realized I needed to get the match info in.

Shout out to whoever voted Suzuki vs Goto, that was my favorite Dome match.

• Locked thread