Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It doesn't help that all the guns other than AK 74, including other Soviet / Russian military issue weapons, are given fake names.

Anyway, I agree that Clear Sky objectively sucks, except for one redeeming feature - late in the game you get a heavy MG that is really fun to use, and makes you into a walking tornado of destruction. Unfortunately the window of enjoying that is short and comes as too little, too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how much UI fumbling do you need to swap guns if you, say, get jumped by dogs and need to pull out a shotgun?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crazy Achmed posted:

Thanks, your endeavours are both fascinating and terrifying. I'm only a couple of pages in but have you seen or tried Indian ones? Supermarkets around my way sell ready-to-eat curries in MRE style pouches and one of the brands proudly proclaims that they are made using techniques developed for Indian army rations. They are actually really tasty (but oversalted) and contain recognisable lentils/veges/paneer - I get them for lunch occasionally with some microwaveable rice.

I have not, and I haven't seen any for sale either. I've actually tried most of the easily available ones that can be found on eBay and Amazon, and the only ones left are mostly expensive or only available through private sales or trades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Last Transmission posted:

Actual gun-nuts, feel free to weigh in on the weapons we've seen so far.

This is something I can definitely help with!

The first gun we've seen was a PM, usually called the Makarov after its designer. It fires a 9x18mm round (specifically 9.2mm caliber) and is heavily based on the Walther PP series, specifically a Luftwaffe experiment from the 1930s for a powerful 9x18mm Super round. It's very reliable, in part due to its incredible simplicity (several parts serve multiple functions, like the heel magazine release actually being the end of the mainspring with a little nub on it) and in part because it uses a straight blowback action. Most combat pistols have the barrel and slide locked together for a fraction of a second after firing, which prevents the breech from opening too early and allowing dangerously high levels of pressure to vent out and spray you in the face. The Makarov instead uses a simple blowback action, with the weight of the slide and recoil spring keeping the breech shut. The 9x18mm round is usually considered the most powerful round that you can use in a blowback action without having a comically large and heavy slide (like the Hi-Point pistols, which look like a child's drawing of a gun). The safety also decocks the hammer when activated, allowing the gun to be fired with a heavy double-action trigger pull for the first round and thus carried with the safety off without worrying about an accidental discharge.

Downsides to the Makarov are its very simple sights, low capacity of 8 rounds, and low power. All of this makes the gun only really useful for self-defense where you dump the whole magazine into a target at close range. Russia has been trying since the 1990s to switch to the more powerful 9x19mm Parabellum, but the realities of the Russian economy have meant that a ton of Makarovs and other 9x18mm pistols are still in service after over 60 years. Not seen in the game is the PMM, an upgrade that uses 10 or 12-round magazines in a wider frame and is strengthened to use more powerful ammo.

The silenced Makarov that Thorn found in the first video is a PB, also called the 6P9 by its inventory index. It's a heavily modified variant of the PM to accept a two-part suppressor; the slightly purplish bit is detachable and screwed on, and the gun can be fired without it if you don't care about it being quiet. The slide is chopped short and the return spring is placed in the grip because of how the suppressor interferes with the original Makarov design. The gun is meant to be carried in a holster with a special pouch for the suppressor, and is specifically for special forces and assassinations.

The sawed-off shotgun is a TOZ-66. This is a simple double-barrel 12 gauge shotgun made in the 1960s and 1970s. It's a "rabbit ear" shotgun with external hammers that have to be cocked manually before firing. Sawed-off shotguns, or obrez in Russian, are extremely common among criminals because non-hunting weapons (including handguns) are often difficult and expensive to get illegally but hunting weapons are everywhere. Since criminals tend to value concealability over power and accuracy, they buy hunting shotguns or rifles and cut them down to hide under a coat. This is probably why bandits and so many rookie stalkers use them.

It's surprisingly hard to find a pic of an MP5A3 with a straight magazine like in this game!

The Heckler & Koch MP5 is a 9x19mm submachine gun series from the 1960s. It's actually a G3 battle rifle shrunk down to a submachine gun, and thus uses the same unusual roller-locked delayed blowback system as the rest of the guns in that family. The version seen in the game is an MP5A3, which has a telescoping stock and a fire selector labeled "SEF" (German language initials for Safe, Semi-Auto, and Full Auto). The game also uses the old straight magazines from the 1960s, which have been supplanted by curved ones, and the old "slimline" handguard that got replaced with a wider one. These are definitely old guns, not the latest military or police stock.

The MP5 series is over 50 years old and definitely long in the tooth compared to a lot of the new guns coming out. That said, it's still everywhere because of its good accuracy, low recoil, and decently high rate of fire. One issue with the design is that it can be hard to insert a full magazine with the bolt closed, but the bolt doesn't automatically lock back when the gun is empty. Users typically pull the charging handle back and lock it into a recess after emptying the gun, and then slap it down with their hand after inserting a new magazine. This is common enough on MP5s and G3s to be nicknamed the HK Slap.

The cheapest assault rifle has a bit of a modeling error: it's chambered in 5.45x39mm like the AKS-74U carbine, but it has the sharply curved steel magazine of a 7.62x39mm gun. So I'll just cover both?

The AKS-74U is a carbine variant of the Kalashnikov assault rifle series designed as an alternative to traditional submachine guns; originally the AK series was meant to be the only weapon for every soldier without some kind of specialty like machine gunners or snipers, but something compact and light was still needed for vehicle crews and special forces. It's actually a unique weapon built on the Kalashnikov pattern (rather than just a chopped AKS-74) because of some specific requirements to make it work, like a different gas system. Along with military usage, they were heavily distributed to police around Eastern Europe; consequently, a ton of them got used early in the Ukrainian Civil War when the rebels raided police station armories.

The AKMSU is the sort of unofficial designation for the same gun chambered in 7.62x39mm, the older round for the original AK-47 and AKM. Compared to 5.45x39mm, 7.62mm is heavier, slower, and provides more recoil but has better momentum for punching through heavy foliage. 5.45mm is the standard caliber for the current Russian military, but they still have 7.62mm guns for special forces who request them and most other Eastern European, Asian, African, and South American nations that use AKs are still using old 7.62mm guns. The Soviet Union experimented with the idea of a 7.62x39mm carbine, but it never really went anywhere. Guns like the one you see here are generally cobbled together by other nations, private individuals, or movie armories with Krinkov parts kits.

The rifle that Thorn so ruthlessly sold off was an AKS-74, which succeeded the AK-74 for a time as the standard assault rifle of the Soviet Union before the modern Russian Army supplemented it with the AK-74M. Russia being Russia, a lot of AKS-74s are still all over the place.

The AK-74 was introduced in 1974 to replace the AKM with a rifle firing a lighter, faster bullet. The Soviets were inspired by the success the M16 had in dealing massive damage with a fast and lightweight round that tumbled and fragmented upon hitting a person, so they did a simple redesign on the AK to a new 5.45x39mm cartridge. The AKS-74 is just a variant with a folding stock.

The frag grenades are RGD-5s. They're an older model that's been heavily copied everywhere Soviet influence touched, from Africa to the Middle East to Bulgaria to North Korea. Fun fact: someone attempted to assassinate George W. Bush with one in 2005 when he visited Georgia, but he had tried to hide it by wrapping a handkerchief around it and this prevented the safety lever from flying off to activate the fuse.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2018

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I do appreciate a good gun post.
The other pistol that Thornbrain picked up but hasn't shown yet is a Walther P99, probably best known as Pierce Brosnan's Bond's pistol of choice after Tomorrow Never Dies.

I don't mind the mirrored gun models as such, but I'm annoyed by the excessively large charging handles on the AKs for some reason.

VKing fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Walther P99, as VKing said, temporarily replaced the Walther PPK as James Bond's pistol from 1997 until 2008 (when Quantum of Solace saw Daniel Craig finally get it back permanently as his sidearm). It was Walther's latest model; they had previously done this with the Walther P5 in Octopussy, but the stunt didn't stick until the movies got so combat-oriented that it started seriously making sense for Bond to carry a big 9mm.

The P99 is mostly a typical striker-fired pistol, not unlike your Glocks and Springfield XDs. The original gun was set apart by having a typical double/single-action trigger like the Beretta 92 or SIG-Sauer P226, but with a big button on top of the slide to decock it instead of a lever anywhere. Later models have a variety of trigger options, like Glock-style "safe action" triggers with a sort of middle ground of trigger weight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The first little area that Thorn didn't go into (because whirlygig sending flesh bit into space) actually does have a few things it. Bandages, medkits, an artifact. Nothing special.

The biggest problem that keeps the MP5 back is that it goes through durability like woah and it's accuracy goes to crap really bad. It's one of the more effective bullet hoses in the game. Aiming for the torso is recommended: recoil might get you headshots but this thing kills mostly by out-bulleting other guns.

The train does have stuff on top of it, shotgun, ammo, artifact. Nothing critical but it's nice at this point in the game. Really hard to get up onto unless you run from the tracks (and they're irradiated as all getout.)

Glazius posted:

So how much UI fumbling do you need to swap guns if you, say, get jumped by dogs and need to pull out a shotgun?
If you don't already have a shotgun in your primary slot, you gotta open your inventory (rendering you immobile and dead) drag your shotgun to your gun slot, make sure it gets there, then drop your inventory screen and dodge around to shoot back.
It's very cumbersome and you're dead if you ever have to do this in a combat situation.

Much easier to just shoot the dogs.

Later games improve this by changing the weapon slots to be general instead of 'primary' and 'sidearm.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 12, 2018

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I appreciate a good gun post too. Especially because - and again I'm not having a go at you or anything, but... most of what you guys said in this video about the guns in the STALKER games was incorrect.

On the Misery mod (which is for Call of Pripyat specifically, not SoC - I don't think that was specified in the video); I was under the impression that it was actually the most popular mod for any of the STALKER games - not that everyone hated it. Maybe that was meant as a figure of speech due to how difficult the mod is. I've certainly traditionally been pretty critical of Misery due to (what I see as) a number of poor design decisions, mainly relating to its bloody-minded focus on (often artificial) difficulty.

I eventually came around to it though, once I modified it a bit myself and (probably more importantly) saw an LP of it that illustrated how certain things in the mod work and also how it's "meant" to be played, in a way. That's kind of Misery's biggest problem, really; it's super-bad at communicating its systems to the player. Misery turns CoP into a great, detailed survival sim... but it's bad at explaining things to the player and has a number of questionable design elements.

EponymousMrYar posted:

If you don't already have a shotgun in your primary slot, you gotta open your inventory (rendering you immobile and dead) drag your shotgun to your gun slot, make sure it gets there, then drop your inventory screen and dodge around to shoot back.
It's very cumbersome and you're dead if you ever have to do this in a combat situation.

Much easier to just shoot the dogs.

Later games improve this by changing the weapon slots to be general instead of 'primary' and 'sidearm.'

As a shortcut, you can also just double-click on the weapon you want to equip; it'll go straight into your hands. Since this is a PC game and is controlled via mouse and keyboard, this can be done in a fraction of a second so it's actually not too hard to do in combat! I wouldn't argue that it's the finest in UI design, but it can be done. I do it all the time when playing these games, in fact.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Antistar01 posted:

On the Misery mod (which is for Call of Pripyat specifically, not SoC - I don't think that was specified in the video); I was under the impression that it was actually the most popular mod for any of the STALKER games - not that everyone hated it.

As said, it doesn't explain itself and has questionable design decisions. For the majority of STALKER fans, this makes it bad and it's nowhere near as popular as Complete is for SoC. It has more of a reputation than Pripyat's Complete though.

Pretty much everyone I've ever seen who had something to say about Misery goes along the lines of 'this is BS wtf' and then if they go back to it (not many do) and dig into they say it's pretty good but always with qualifiers.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I was under the impression you could put the sawed off shotgun in the pistol slot if you wanted. Admittedly, last time I played this was with the Complete mod so that might have been part of it. Which is a shame, its damage is so high it'll kill end game enemies in one shot, if you can get close enough.

Also, want to say I'm loving this lp. I have really fond memories of playing the original unmodded version when it came out.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

It's also worth noting that the shotguns are actually particularly accurate. Thorn is just currently using a sawed-off loaded with buckshot. Solid slugs with a proper shotgun are just as or more accurate than a full rifle (at least in the game) and are more than capable of knocking down any bandit you can draw a bead on.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

As said, it doesn't explain itself and has questionable design decisions. For the majority of STALKER fans, this makes it bad and it's nowhere near as popular as Complete is for SoC. It has more of a reputation than Pripyat's Complete though.

Pretty much everyone I've ever seen who had something to say about Misery goes along the lines of 'this is BS wtf' and then if they go back to it (not many do) and dig into they say it's pretty good but always with qualifiers.

I could certainly be wrong; I haven't conducted a survey or anything. :v:

My experience has been the opposite, though; mainly I remember a particular LP of SoC (and then later Clear Sky) on YouTube. The comments for every video were full of people begging the guy to LP Call of Pripyat with Misery next. If Complete came up it was usually being criticised. I particularly remember it because I occasionally tried to say "no wait a blind LP of Misery is actually a terrible idea, especially since this is his first time playing the STALKER games at all". These were YouTube comments though of course, so while I was at it I went and pissed in the wind for a while afterwards.

That's got to be a few years ago now. I don't think he's ever going to do CoP one way or the other... after Clear Sky he basically said flat-out that he didn't want to play another STALKER game ever again. (Clear Sky's not very good. :ssh:) I wonder how many people have stopped because of Clear Sky and never reached CoP. It's real shame; CoP is where GSC really got their act together.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Roadside Picnic is a Russian novel. Every untranslated voice in the game speaks Russian. There's more Ukranian in Metro: Last Light than in all the STALKER games combined.

You missed the Stalker armor in the rookie village for some reason?

Never managed to complete Call of Pripyat, modded or unmodded. A cutscene at the very endgame just hangs up and lasts forever. Conversely, Clear Sky is actually pretty fun (but I'm really into AI fights, so that might explain things).

Related to the above - I really like the idea of helping random AI allies survive, so a mod that allows you to trade weapons to random stalkers is a must.

Ostensibly the folk remedies during the Chernobyl meltdown included getting blind drunk and trying to "sweat out" the radiation in a banya (Russian sauna).

chitoryu12 - looking forward to you trying Israeli MREs.

Antistar01 posted:

My experience has been the opposite, though; mainly I remember a particular LP of SoC (and then later Clear Sky) on YouTube.
Gopher's LP, by chance?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Gopher's LP, by chance?

Yes. That was a frustrating experience, given how stubborn he was about trying to play the games in a particular way, even when it was plain that it wasn't working - especially in Clear Sky. Blind LPs of the STALKER games were always going to be fraught, but with that attitude on top of it...

People in the comments were quick to tell him all the things he was doing "wrong", but some of them were pretty aggro about it, which didn't help. I regret occasionally getting frustrated with him myself in my own comments - though I was trying to help.

In the end I think I remember him saying that that was one of the reasons he didn't want to do CoP after Clear Sky; because of how hostile and negative some of the comments on the STALKER LPs had been. People get passionate about these games, I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One oddity is that the Zone in ShoC seems to contain zero AK-47s / AKMs. 5.45mm only.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Antistar01 posted:

Yes. That was a frustrating experience, given how stubborn he was about trying to play the games in a particular way, even when it was plain that it wasn't working - especially in Clear Sky. Blind LPs of the STALKER games were always going to be fraught, but with that attitude on top of it...

People in the comments were quick to tell him all the things he was doing "wrong", but some of them were pretty aggro about it, which didn't help. I regret occasionally getting frustrated with him myself in my own comments - though I was trying to help.
Ah. Yeah, I was one of those people. :/

In my defense, someone was really wrong on the internet.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Liking your style so far, also the mp5 sucks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm one of those weird people who rates Stalkers 2>1>3 but I'd never play 1 again sans mods.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The frag grenades are RGD-5s. They're an older model that's been heavily copied everywhere Soviet influence touched, from Africa to the Middle East to Bulgaria to North Korea. Fun fact: someone attempted to assassinate George W. Bush with one in 2005 when he visited Georgia, but he had tried to hide it by wrapping a handkerchief around it and this prevented the safety lever from flying off to activate the fuse.

I would like to know more

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

I would like to know more

quote:

On 10 May 2005, Vladimir Arutyunian, a Georgian citizen and ethnic Armenian, waited for the United States President George W. Bush and Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili to speak in Tbilisi's central Liberty Square. When Bush began speaking, Arutyunian threw a RGD-5 hand grenade wrapped in a red plaid handkerchief toward the podium where Bush stood as he addressed the crowd. The grenade landed 18.6 metres (61 ft) from the podium, near where Saakashvili, his wife Sandra E. Roelofs, Laura Bush, and other officials were seated.

The grenade failed to detonate. Although original reports indicated that the grenade was not live, it was later revealed that it was. After Arutyunian pulled the pin and threw the grenade, it hit a girl, cushioning its impact. The red handkerchief remained wrapped around the grenade, and it prevented the striker lever from releasing. A Georgian security officer quickly removed the grenade, and Arutyunian disappeared.

He got life in prison after being caught. The intended victims didn't even know it happened until after they left.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

quote:

...landed 18 meters from the podium...

The grenade in question weighs ~310g, about twice that of an average baseball (~140-150g). It so happens that 18m is also the approximate distance from the pitcher's mound to the plate on a full sized baseball diamond. Presumably it was thrown from much further away. I'm not a professional pitcher or general ball-thrower but as expected throwing a bomb at someone is a tricky poor assassination method.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The creepy really starts to show itself.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

ThornBrain posted:

The creepy really starts to show itself.

Nice, this game is best when creepy!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of the map being based on real life, one of the things I did when preparing for that tabletop RPG version was marking out the canonical borders of the Zone on Google Earth and then marking the rough locations of every major STALKER location. Coincidentally, there's a pair of abandoned villages almost exactly where the Rookie Village in the Cordon is.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Speaking of creepy, any estimate on how long until we see The Lion?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, about that thing with lead:

Yes, bullets were made of lead for centuries because it's a soft and very dense metal that can easily be melted over a low heat (even a campfire) for making into bullets. Modern bullets are still often made predominately of lead and are just clad with an outer metal (usually copper alloy) to better resist deformation during feeding from a magazine and allow for higher bullet velocity without scraping lead into the barrel or damaging the rifling from contact with a steel penetrator in AP ammo.

There are still bullets that aren't made of lead, usually non-toxic ammo meant to avoid depositing lead into the environment (like steel birdshot) or solid bronze bullets for massive safari rifles.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 18, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Lulti posted:

Speaking of creepy, any estimate on how long until we see The Lion?

You might be thinking of Call of Pripyat. There's nothing like that in SoC.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Thorn taking so long to die but also enemies taking so many shots is really throwing me off. All three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games has really weird difficulty modes, where the hardest mode Master means you'll die in one maybe two shots if you're lucky but on the upside, so does every enemy while easier difficulties mean you can take more damage but enemies also become more of a bullet sponge.

There's been a few times where I keep expecting bandits or military to be downed after two shots but Thorn is still firing another three or so bullets into them.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think I remember reading that it's actually something like "lower difficulties impart a chance for a hit to do no damage". So not only does it apply to both enemies and the player, it's inconsistent so sometimes you'll die in one headshot, sometimes you can shrug off a few.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The first time I went through the game, the Bloodsucker decided to take on the military. It was incredibly atmospheric, scary, and made the actual level a bit easier.

I really assumed that was an intended setpiece, the monster showing off its power before turning on me (makes more sense than the two just hanging out right next to each other)

Never managed to replicate that. Shame.

Also, Bloodsuckers can't go through doors. Simplest way to cheese them.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 20, 2018

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I've been waiting for the bloodsucker to appear: those things are my bane, since I find them to be one of the scariest type of monster whenever I play even when there are deadlier enemies around (especially in CoP).

Clear Sky rates as my second favourite game (with CoP being the one I like the most) even though I recognize it is the weakest of the three: I liked what the devs tried by putting faction warfare in the forefront even if it didn't turn out as well as it could've. It also laid the foundations for Call of Pripyiat with gun/armor modding and artifact hunting, along with the bigger maps.
It also changed bloodsuckers so that when they are cloaked they are literally invulnerable which is a really questionable decision. :shepface:
Hopefully we'll see it after this LP is done.

As for the controller, the best way of taking it out is just to rush it with a knife and stab it repeatedly. :ese:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
That first controller fight is where I fell in love with this game. Its the moment things go from, scary monster shinanigans to 'oh god things are also going to try mind rape me'.

Though some cooler stuff happens later, I still love this part of the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

radintorov posted:

I've been waiting for the bloodsucker to appear: those things are my bane, since I find them to be one of the scariest type of monster whenever I play even when there are deadlier enemies around (especially in CoP).

Clear Sky rates as my second favourite game (with CoP being the one I like the most) even though I recognize it is the weakest of the three: I liked what the devs tried by putting faction warfare in the forefront even if it didn't turn out as well as it could've. It also laid the foundations for Call of Pripyiat with gun/armor modding and artifact hunting, along with the bigger maps.
It also changed bloodsuckers so that when they are cloaked they are literally invulnerable which is a really questionable decision. :shepface:
Hopefully we'll see it after this LP is done.

As for the controller, the best way of taking it out is just to rush it with a knife and stab it repeatedly. :ese:

Clear Skies has the most wasted potential I've seen in a game, period.

It has a faction warfare mechanic, but it is totally broken, beyond any redemption.
It starts in a terrible, flat swamp where you can't see anything over the ever present reeds, and everything looks the same.
The following areas are mostly reskins of what you see in SOC, but made worse by the faction system.
It promises a story that would explain the lead up to the original game, but in reality it has literally the worst story conclusion I've seen in any game. Never had a game made me feel insulted, until I played through Clear Skies.

I think the OP said he's not going to play through CS, and I can only approve that decision.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 19, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hot dang a goldfish, one of the rarest artifacts in the game. Just out in the open right there.
The Urchin is the second-best anti-rad artifact in the game and agropom underground is a great place to find it. The +bleeding isn't too big of a thing unless you're playing on master because only severe bleeding actually does any damage worth noting (even then bandages are everywhere.)
The Sparkler line of artifacts are practically free endurance since the only thing that does electric damage in this game are the electric anomalies.

Bloodsucker's aren't armored they just have a lot of health, are fast, and do a lot of damage. This is compounded by the sucky weapons you have at this point in the game but it is entirely possible to kill bloodsuckers in two sawed-off shotgun blasts. Makes the thing rather underwhelming.

Strelok's fast-shooting AK is one of the best weapons in the game since it has the same damage as an AK but the fire rate of an MP5. Plus, being an AK it can be modded if you're lucky enough to find the right attachment.
The reason it's weaker is because of the loss of accuracy from how fast it's shooting, you really need to go for body shots with it although you can switch it over to single-fire for headshots if you really want to.

Xander77 posted:

The first time I went through the game, the Bloodsucker decided to take on the military. It was incredibly atmospheric, scary, and made the actual level a bit easier.

Never managed to replicate that. Shame.
It requires the military in the hallway to go into that room after you activate it, since it's programmed to sit in one spot and not to do anything until it roars. Also it's really hard to actually get the military's attention with noise without going into that hallway for some weird reason.

I have had some cases of bloodsucker vs. single bandit fights though since one of the bandits can wander down there and be led into the room (it never goes well for the bandit.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also you're right about how hard it is to record gunfire noises. There's a video from years ago of a PKM being recorded for one of the new Medal of Honor games with a bunch of microphones at varying distances, and every single one had a completely different sound. The noise of a gunshot is so loud that at close range, the first part of the sound wave has already passed before the mic diaphragm moves back far enough to record it.

The only video I know of to sound almost exactly like the real thing is this one I took of firing a 3-inch magnum shell out of a shotgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pXeYvP9IKc

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, about that thing with lead:

Yes, bullets were made of lead for centuries because it's a soft and very dense metal that can easily be melted over a low heat (even a campfire) for making into bullets. Modern bullets are still often made predominately of lead and are just clad with an outer metal (usually copper alloy) to better resist deformation during feeding from a magazine and allow for higher bullet velocity without scraping lead into the barrel or damaging the rifling from contact with a steel penetrator in AP ammo.

There are still bullets that aren't made of lead, usually non-toxic ammo meant to avoid depositing lead into the environment (like steel birdshot) or solid bronze bullets for massive safari rifles.

And even before that lead was used for sling ammo, since its easier to do that than look for appropriately shaped stones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EponymousMrYar posted:

It requires the military in the hallway to go into that room after you activate it, since it's programmed to sit in one spot and not to do anything until it roars. Also it's really hard to actually get the military's attention with noise without going into that hallway for some weird reason.
I somehow managed to do this tonight when I was playing. I think it was a grenade going off too close to that hallway.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
The first time I played the game, that controller scared me half to death. After two of those out of body psychic blast things I was shaking so bad I couldn't aim (me, that is, not my character) so I just legged it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm one of those weird people who rates Stalkers 2>1>3 but I'd never play 1 again sans mods.

The biggest problem i have with 3 is how much smaller the game area is vs 1 & 2. But it 'feels' better and plays better to me than the others

my only gripe with 1 is basically i really like the weapon/armor modding system from 2/3, and not having it is lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CoP feels more like an actual game, less like they managed to somehow beat a series of mechanics into submission long enough to call it a game.

• Locked thread