Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox

It's an allegory for the way the second defenestration of Prague irreparably sundered the medieval feudal order and the crowned heads of Europe, despite their great armies, were powerless to halt the chaos that engulfed them. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Eggs crack. Crack cocaine. Something about the CIA.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

roomforthetuna posted:

The rhyme doesn't actually say the king sent any horses or men.
Perhaps the story is about the king recognizing that Humpty was irreparable with his present-day technology comprised of little more than horses and men, because he was a smart king.

This post works really well if you read it in Werner Herzog's voice

Papa Was A Video Toaster

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Duckbox posted:

It's an allegory for the way the second defenestration of Prague irreparably sundered the medieval feudal order and the crowned heads of Europe, despite their great armies, were powerless to halt the chaos that engulfed them. Duh.

:aaa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alnilam

Duckbox posted:

Humpty Dumpty was written by Brecht to be a song in Mother Courage and her Children, he didn't include it in the final version but the song tookk on a life of its own

joke_explainer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Sorry, but nowhere do the rhyme say egg, my dude.

Very true. I propose the following change:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
In case it was ambiguous,
Humpty Dumpty was a sentient egg person,
Like a human sized chicken egg with a giant face on it.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Can you imagine writing something and then later finding out that people had assumed it was about giant eggs even though that was never your intent? Like you crack a copy of your life's work and the characters have all been inexplicably rendered as egg people, you inquire around and the response is always "well you didn't specify they weren't egg people, so..."

alnilam

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Can you imagine writing something and then later finding out that people had assumed it was about giant eggs even though that was never your intent? Like you crack a copy of your life's work and the characters have all been inexplicably rendered as egg people, you inquire around and the response is always "well you didn't specify they weren't egg people, so..."

lmao

ty manifisto

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

this is why John Lennon wrote I Am The Walrus. he wanted to make it explicitly clear that none of his other songs were about egg men, because there is only one. "hey, if there's an egg man in my song i'm going to get in front of it right now and tell you."

google THIS

Call me Ishmael, and I am a human being by the way, not a sentient talking egg with legs.

google THIS

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? Well, first and foremost, he's not a giant ambulatory ovum, so put that out of your mind right now.

Coolguye

Required by his programming!
is dr eggman a middle ground here

like he is shown to be a man who simply looks like an egg rather than literally being an egg but i am not sure if that is part of his secret agenda

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrsxrnKioY

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Of course Juliet is a giant egg and Romeo is every horse in England, don't you understand romance!?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh poo poo Humpty Dumpty was a giant cannon!?

kalel

Humphrey DuFuois was an English friar of mixed Anglo-French ancestry who lived in the 1700s. In the middle of his life, he broke radically from the church, claiming to have a revelation about the nature of the universe that conflicted with the standard Judeo-Christo-Islamic monotheism. According to DuFuois, there was no god in the traditional spiritual sense. Akin to certain Asian myths and the modern-era hippie movement, Dufism suggests that humans are "yet to be born," and that human life as we know it is an intermediary stage on a journey to a higher plane of existence—he explicitly describes people as "eggs waiting to hatch." DuFuois was found dead of an apparent suicide in 1780 after falling off one of the ramparts at his monastery. Most of his writings were "lost" according to an official report from an inquiry into his death by the court of King George III—the only surviving documents outlining DuFuois' theology are several pages of handwritten drafts of his manuscript. It is theorized that DuFuois was arranged to be murdered due to the threat he posed to existing orthodoxy, but it is not known whether the malicious agents were Anglican or papal in origin. The story of DuFuois was put to verse by Samuel Arnold in 1797, where the "Humpty Dumpty" character is depicted as an anthropomorphic egg—a subtle parody of DuFuois' beliefs. The word "doofus" also derives from his name.

BoldFrankensteinMir

We are through the looking glass, people...

alnilam

which is it!!

ty manifisto

Cubone

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

drilldo squirt posted:

What was going to hatch from him? What kind of life is that?

seriously loling

google THIS

Soldier #1: So we nicknamed our cannon The Parliamentarian Destroyer 9000. How about you guys?

Soldier #2: ...

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Eggs crack. Crack cocaine. Something about the CIA.

The CIA hatching plots, white cocaine egg chunks, "horses" for sweet Golden Triangle heroin, the "wall" being the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain the difficulty of getting drugs in to undermine the Warsaw Pact, all the "king's men" being the American political and governmental figures looking the other way or benefiting from CIA plans...

It all makes a sick sense, man.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm never going to be able to read this drat children's rhyme again without thinking about Atlas Shrugged being about egg people destroying the inner city with crack, thanks BYOB.

No really. Thank you.

Sig by Heather Papps

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
When all you have is horsemen, everything looks like a pitched battle.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
after the battle against the egg people it was like walking on eggshells...

alnilam

google THIS posted:

Soldier #1: So we nicknamed our cannon The Parliamentarian Destroyer 9000. How about you guys?

Soldier #2: ...

lol

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
brb gonna destroy some parliamentarians

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kalel

"When the game is over, the eggs and the pawns go back to the same box." - old Italian proverb (my yearbook senior quote)

Android Blues

joke_explainer posted:

Very true. I propose the following change:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
In case it was ambiguous,
Humpty Dumpty was a sentient egg person,
Like a human sized chicken egg with a giant face on it.

google THIS posted:

Call me Ishmael, and I am a human being by the way, not a sentient talking egg with legs.

google THIS posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? Well, first and foremost, he's not a giant ambulatory ovum, so put that out of your mind right now.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Humphrey DuFuois was an English friar of mixed Anglo-French ancestry who lived in the 1700s. In the middle of his life, he broke radically from the church, claiming to have a revelation about the nature of the universe that conflicted with the standard Judeo-Christo-Islamic monotheism. According to DuFuois, there was no god in the traditional spiritual sense. Akin to certain Asian myths and the modern-era hippie movement, Dufism suggests that humans are "yet to be born," and that human life as we know it is an intermediary stage on a journey to a higher plane of existence—he explicitly describes people as "eggs waiting to hatch." DuFuois was found dead of an apparent suicide in 1780 after falling off one of the ramparts at his monastery. Most of his writings were "lost" according to an official report from an inquiry into his death by the court of King George III—the only surviving documents outlining DuFuois' theology are several pages of handwritten drafts of his manuscript. It is theorized that DuFuois was arranged to be murdered due to the threat he posed to existing orthodoxy, but it is not known whether the malicious agents were Anglican or papal in origin. The story of DuFuois was put to verse by Samuel Arnold in 1797, where the "Humpty Dumpty" character is depicted as an anthropomorphic egg—a subtle parody of DuFuois' beliefs. The word "doofus" also derives from his name.

im dying of joy

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Humpty was broken in the sense his resolve was shattered, the wall being his chance to escape alcoholism, the king being his AA sponsor.

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Which came first? The addictive tendencies or the egg?

deep dish peat moss

Horses are well known for their skill with eggs.

Moon Atari

If there was a sentient egg man and he was popular enough in the community that people knew him by name then I bet people would get pretty upset by his brutal fall induced death. Like imagine an egg cracking, but somehow it is a living thing with thoughts and a face. It's a horrific way to go. That would probably be pretty traumatic for the simple village folk, troubled as the common folk are by sympathy for others.

Moon Atari

A wise king knows to take advantage of such situations even if they are hopeless. Give the illusion of caring about the common folk's petty concerns. Send in the army so as to associate it with trying to help people. Stall until people have calmed down and moved on. Then, use your superior powers of imagination to provide them with a comforting lie. Like that you had your holy advisor contact the spirits to convince them to reincarnate the egg beast as a less fragile form of sentient food, or grant him safe passage to an afterlife more accommodating of his fragile egg nature.

Next time people get upset about the king taxing them into starvation he can remind them of all he did for poor humpty.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Is it ethical to fry and eat the innards of an egg-man who died in a fall, or is it more like cannibalism because of the sentience?
Asking for a friend.

Duckbox

roomforthetuna posted:

Is it ethical to fry and eat the innards of an egg-man who died in a fall, or is it more like cannibalism because of the sentience?
Asking for a friend.

Eat your friend.

BoldFrankensteinMir

You couldn't eat Humpty Dumpty he broke on the ground. It is impossible to reclaim an egg you broke anywhere but directly into the pan or bowl, I've tried.

Sig by Heather Papps

Papa Was A Video Toaster

You couldn't eat Humpty Dumpty he broke on the ground. It is impossible to reclaim an egg you broke anywhere but directly into the pan or bowl, I've tried.

What if we construct a solar oven around him where he lays, let the sun do the cooking and wipe the dirt off the cooked egg?

alnilam

Sentient eggman sits on a wall and some people slide a big bowl up to the bottom and humptys like uhh what are you doing and they're like umm nothing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

TVsVeryOwn posted:

wipe the dirt off the cooked egg?

I don't think it's possible and this is from someone who has dropped breakfast and gone hungry more than once. That gritty feeling in your teeth that tells you you just ate sand, that mysteriously thin hair you somehow missed and have to pull out of your mouth uncurling on your pallate like a miniature garden hose, it's not worth it. And Humpty is man-sized so imagine how much filth his corpse has sucked up into itself the second he broke. He's gone. We just have to accept it.

Sig by Heather Papps

• Locked thread