Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't find a thread for this game but it just came out in NA and seems to have some momentum. What's one more Final Fantasy thread?

English Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYTT3HLdvyI

What is?
Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia (DFFOO) is the latest of the F2P mobile Final Fantasy titles for Android and iOS devices. Unlike Record Keeper and Brave Exvius, it was actually co-developed and published by Square-Enix, alongside Koei's Team Ninja. It features turn-based RPG combat with mechanics based on the Dissidia FF fighting games, cutesy chibi-style 3D versions of your favorite Final Fantasy characters, and a story that basically functions as an excuse to jam them into the same setting. It features both singleplayer and co-operative multiplayer gameplay. It's been out in Japan for about a year, but the global release just dropped a few days ago.

How does it play?
Combat is snappy and streamlined, but still has a layer of strategic depth. Characters (you make parties of three) and monsters have both Brave and HP, and attacks that target each. The damage of HP attacks is based on how much BRV you have, and hitting an enemy with a BRV attack saps theirs and increases yours. Reducing an enemy to 0 BRV "breaks" them, which renders them vulnerable (knocking them back in the turn order and sometimes applying status conditions) and gives your team a BRV bonus. Each character has one (and eventually more than one) limited use special ability, including everything from elemental or area attacks to heals and shields. Between battles you can enhance your characters and your equipment by spending crystals and orbs respectively, in addition to traditional leveling. The best gear (which gives passive bonuses to equipped characters and makes their skills better) comes from the game's main F2P mechanic, a gacha-style loot system.

Mobile bullshit?
There is no stamina for either story content or co-op boss battles (at least as a guest), allowing you to play those at your leisure and on your own time. It's like a real game! There are a few stamina-like mechanics for the resource-grinding areas, though; the World of Illusion dungeons, which are special events, have a traditional stamina mechanic based on your account Rank and the daily cycle quests (the rotating schedule of material farming dungeons) are limited to 10/day. The gacha is fairly generous, with a guaranteed 5* mechanic (if you do 10 pulls at a time you're guaranteed to get something good), a ton of frontloaded free currency, frequent half-off pulls, and much better rates for good poo poo than at least FFBE. All-in-all, it seems like a pretty player-friendly experience so far.

How to start?
Download the game from the app store and prepare to sit through a hell of an opening cinematic. The game has a fairly robust and thorough tutorial that will load you with a bunch of free gems (the F2P currency) quickly. Whether or not to reroll is up to you; the game content right now is relatively easy and there are very few bad characters and few truly bad pulls, thanks to the guaranteed 5*, but all it costs to do so is time and all you have to do to reroll is delete and reinstall the app without linking it to Facebook. After you beat the Iron Giant in the tutorial, back out to the main menu and do either the half-off 10+1 pull on the starter character banner or a 10+1 pull on the WoL/Cloud/Bartz special banner and see what you get.
Cloud and Vaan are currently the characters you most want gear for, if you're minmaxing. Bartz and WoL are both good in the long run so the special banner is a pretty safe bet. Other good pulls are Terra (becomes the best offensive mage eventually), Yuna (excellent support/healer type), Cecil, and Zidane. AFAIK the only characters from the starting 25 who aren't good or don't become good later are Sazh and Yuffie, so feel free to chase your favorite characters' stuff when starting out, or just go with whatever the game hands you.

You should also consider saving at least some of the gems you get from blowing through the story and the newbie login bonuses right now, once you feel okay to clear current content. As with most mobile games, the F2P currency rate slows down a little, and future patches will introduce more characters, new gear for the existing ones, and banners with smaller pools if you're trying to max out your favorite character.

Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/Nhhc62H

Links
Official: https://dissidiaoperaomnia.com/home/
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/
Wiki: http://dffoo.wikia.com/wiki/Dissida_Final_Fantasy_Opera_Omnia_Wiki
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dissidiaffoo?lang=en

Baku fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a Google Doc for Friend Codes UPDATED: 1/19
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Q3DArspnncHXaOw-Sdpet8Pu1s54c9gQhDXGS59jMk/edit#gid=0

Here's a Good Summary Guide Written by a Goon
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848298&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post481543342

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 30, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Finished Chapter 5 yesterday. I'm not too crazy about everyone being chibified, but it'll grow on me I hope.

Otherwise I'm liking it so far.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Finished Chapter 5 yesterday. I'm not too crazy about everyone being chibified, but it'll grow on me I hope.

Yeah, it's not normally my favorite style, but I at least like the unified aesthetic (FFRK has always had a clash between the 16-bit character/enemy sprites, backgrounds, and UI elements while FFBE feels like it doesn't even get scale between your own guys right). I also appreciate how every single weapon is modeled and hope that continues; little touches like that help make it feel more like a real portable game and not a mobile skinner box/slot machine.

I'm curious if the lack of a stamina mechanic for story content will cause problems with the game's popularity. It seems like a thing we should be praising it for, but it also feels like a lot of people are going to beat the content as soon as it comes out and then be spinning their wheels and get bored of grinding for materials.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think I'm the only person with Laguna as their support character.

I'm also raising Steiner as one of my mains. Truly, I'm a maverick.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

ApplesandOranges posted:

Laguna is by far my favorite FFVIII character and I mained him when I played Duodecim. He's definitely going on my team once I get him levelled and geared up.

And yeah, the lack of a stamina mechanic has me wondering too. I beat it all over a couple of days and have just been grinding up characters for now.

But I like that sort of thing, so who knows.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm also raising Steiner as one of my mains. Truly, I'm a maverick.

I respect your dedication to your boys.

The starting rolls I settled on were 2x Tifa, 2x Bartz, and 1x Yuna between my first pull on each banner because I like all three of those characters. I've been running Yuna as my co-op main, which is really handy for the Malboro fight and actually seems to compliment the Cloud/Vaan/Zidane DPS engines really well.

I've got 25k gems left and I'm saving them for FF6, Lightning, Faris, and Balthier. Non-meta solidarity. Though apparently Lightning is stupid good.

And speaking of FF8, the event this coming week is Squall's release. If the banner is the same as Japan, it'll be Squall/Tifa/Zidane relics, but apparently the launch banners were different so who knows if the non-Squall characters will be the same. Kinda weird Laguna's not on it, I guess the events aren't gonna be themed around specific games like FFRK/FFBE.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 5, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm using Vivi for now, because I love the little guy, and FFIX is quite possibly my all time favorite. Also got Yda and Y'shtola geared up, as well as Terra.

One thing I really dig is that they stuck with the original Yoshitaka Amano designs. The FFV crowd in particular benefits from this, I feel.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Too bad there isn't a third ninja yet so I can make an all-ninja team with Edge and Shadow.

Nope.

Nobody else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know we try to ignore her very hard, but Yuffie does exist.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

If you're playing this bad mobile gacha game and want to talk about it with other goons then you might want to reevaluate the life choices you made that led you to this situation and/or join this discord server:
https://discord.gg/Nhhc62H

hit button fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 19, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

ApplesandOranges posted:

I know we try to ignore her very hard, but Yuffie does exist.

To be fair, I'm still a bit unsure about the rest as well.

I've seen how they run, and it's very un-ninja-like from what I've come to know.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hit button posted:

If you're playing this bad mobile gacha game and want to talk about it with other goons then you might want to reevaluate the life choices you made that led you to this situation and/or join this discord server:
https://discord.gg/BpkwgeT

Cool, I'll add it to the OP

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
ID: 733622981

I've got a pretty beefy Cloud up atm with the Dissidia NT bonus weapon. I've been yolo pulling with all my gems but I have 5 weapons for a lot of my dudes. Really enjoying the game so far.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I picked this up yesterday looking for something new and am liking it so far.

Only on chapter 4 though.

Is there a way to set your helper for other people? I have no idea what mine is set to.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Pretty sure its under Settings -> User Data

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Combo posted:

Is there a way to set your helper for other people? I have no idea what mine is set to.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Pretty sure its under Settings -> User Data

Yeah, that's it. Be sure to periodically check-in and update it even if you don't change characters/gear; it doesn't set passives (including your second skill, if your crystal level is high enough) even if you set them on your normal party screen.

The Squall event has already started. Squall's first-skill is a powerful multi-hit BRV attack. Banner is Squall/Tifa/Zidane weapons and those characters get an event bonus, so it seems unchanged from Japan. The event quests seem pretty boring, but I still have Hard mode to work through and the game's been out for less than a week, so whatever.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
ID: 860404283

Loving it so far, scratching an itch I didn't know needed scratching. Squall is a loving murder machine. Currently running Squall/Cloud/Vaan, but I know Y'shtola gets really useful down the road so I might sub her in for Vaan since I don't have his 5-star yet. I don't have hers either, but she's supposedly a Brave battery down the road.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I'm playing as UScr00ge (756692699) and enjoying it so far.

Really wish I had gotten the physical edition of Dissidia NT....that one came with a code for a weapon for Cloud and a few other bonuses, but the PSN digital preorder did not.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been playing off and on as Vitamin - 172207790. I got ridiculously lucky with my initial gacha draws, so I'm rolling with a Vaan support that needs some leveling. Overall been going at it kinda slow, but I've been having a blast so far.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I'm up with Vaan as support. I also have Zidane, Y'shtola, Edge, WoL, and Penelo if needed.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Quite liking this so far. I just hope it doesn't power creep with the gear like other gachas do with units. I like to collect and complete collections so I don't care about having the most powerful ever super enchanted unlocked item but I do want to be able to have 1 of each without selling my house. FFBE and Valkyrie Connect are bad examples, they vomit out premium units at a rediculous rate. VC in particular is like a full time job, the amount of events, banners etc is insane.

I'll put my Baartz up once he's leveled a bit. His gear is the best I have so far but I'm concentrating on the units with double exp while it lasts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ratzap posted:

Quite liking this so far. I just hope it doesn't power creep with the gear like other gachas do with units. I like to collect and complete collections so I don't care about having the most powerful ever super enchanted unlocked item but I do want to be able to have 1 of each without selling my house. FFBE and Valkyrie Connect are bad examples, they vomit out premium units at a rediculous rate. VC in particular is like a full time job, the amount of events, banners etc is insane.

I'll put my Baartz up once he's leveled a bit. His gear is the best I have so far but I'm concentrating on the units with double exp while it lasts.

It does few months after the Japanese launch they released a new wave of weapons that are way stronger then the ones we get from Gatcha now.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just pulled two Ogrenixes for Cloud of of the draw.

Do I need to wait to "Limit Break" until I've maxed out the enhancement levels of one of them, or is it safe to go ahead and feed one straight into the other?

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

ID: 130450821

Have had some good pulls so far, debating on using the last of my current gems on the current event or saving them for a later draw. Current support is WoL with 5* weapon, have Vaan's 5* but need to level him a bit before I swap him in.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Aerox posted:

I just pulled two Ogrenixes for Cloud of of the draw.

Do I need to wait to "Limit Break" until I've maxed out the enhancement levels of one of them, or is it safe to go ahead and feed one straight into the other?

Go for it. It'll actually give your weapon a few levels.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Saved 25k gems for Squall weapon, came up with enough poo poo to limit break both Tifa and Zidane. Wooooo.

Does anyone know if you can use 10x draw tickets for the guaranteed 5* or do we have to do them as singles?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 5, 2018

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Saved 25k gems for Squall weapon, came up with enough poo poo to limit break both Tifa and Zidane. Wooooo.

Does anyone know if you can use 10x draw tickets for the guaranteed 5* or do we have to do them as singles?

My guess would be no, based on other games with draw tickets, but I'm not gonna sit on them to find out. Gotta satiate that gacha lust.

E: Looked around the subreddit and got clued in to a hot tip for leveling: after you've got some dudes that hit level 10 you can pop into either of the Level 20 nodes in the World of Illusions and autobattle for some easy exp. It won't be pretty starting out, and at one point I looked over to see one of my characters dead in the last fight, but it's worked out pretty well, and the constant level ups will keep increasing your rank and refilling your SP.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 5, 2018

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
ID:836068088

Rolling with a Vaan as my support. As a whole have been enjoying the game so far. Just have some hard modes to roll through still.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Vitamean posted:

My guess would be no, based on other games with draw tickets, but I'm not gonna sit on them to find out. Gotta satiate that gacha lust.

E: Looked around the subreddit and got clued in to a hot tip for leveling: after you've got some dudes that hit level 10 you can pop into either of the Level 20 nodes in the World of Illusions and autobattle for some easy exp. It won't be pretty starting out, and at one point I looked over to see one of my characters dead in the last fight, but it's worked out pretty well, and the constant level ups will keep increasing your rank and refilling your SP.

Yeah I have been doing the higher level ones for better chracter XP and crystals and then popping over to the low level one with a group. I'll probably have everyone in the game to level 20 before long while I work on getting Warrior, Cloud, Vaan, Terra, Yshtola, and Squall to 50/50.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My ID is 405 890 207.

Another tip from Reddit: When you're at the screen just before you start a battle, where it shows your party and the friend you're bringing, if you hold and wiggle the portrait of one of the 3 in your party, it brings up the list of all your characters, so you can easily swap them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

socialsecurity posted:

It does few months after the Japanese launch they released a new wave of weapons that are way stronger then the ones we get from Gatcha now.

Power Creep is basically inevitable for any gacha game due to it basically being how the game is able to make money.

The key is to make the power creep interesting by throwing out more interesting options.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
ID: 366895807

Terra up as support.

I'm really digging this game, even if it doesn't want to give me Squalls 5* weapon :argh:

Also, there's a starting tier list in the discord under resources you might think about adding to the OP.

Shingouryu fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2018

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
ID: 672 313 634, Vivi as support. Partially because I've pulled his 5* staff three times and partially because he's just so cute :kimchi:

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!
Had this in the other thread but since this is all official and stuff: 572 765 670 - Same name.

Nabbed one of Squall's weapons (and Tifa's same roll) but I think I'm going to stop there and save gems. I can already see the free gem pool drying up a bit.

Will probably leave my once-LB'd Cloud up for support unless I notice Squall outperforming, but Cloud's paralysis on top of the outstanding DPS is just tasty.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Friend code:

Tzen: 684249278

Its Cloud at the moment but also have Squall, Yda, Firion and some others if someone needs/wants.

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013
ID: 357359475 with the name set as Kennebek

Right now, I'm running with a fairly leveled and equipped WoL, but I may or may not change it to Squall or maybe Tifa as time goes on.

Also, dumb question, but the draw tickets earned from the Squall event - those can be saved and used on later banners, right? I assume so, but these mobile games can be weird about things so I figure I should double check.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Friend Code: 102160456

Pulled Cecil's sword and running him and dumping all black gems into him. I think he pretty good. Not sure if he is top tier yet though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got Squall up as my support, and I got him up to 15 crystal strength. Only need 110 more to get the second ability!

Code is 885691105

I can swap him out for WoL, Tifa, or Yda but they aren't nearly as high in strength as Squall. Yda is not even above level 30 yet like Squall is.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How many FFVI characters are in the game? Also is Faris from FFV here?

I'm thinking of moving from FGO to here because FGO is super stingy and stuff (might still play for the story but eh)