Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Sounds like what I suspected.

Next question...how do I limit break 5* stuff? Should I? (wol and cloud limit broken swords mmmm)

Yes limit breaking is the main path to greater power, most of your stats comes from your weapon and limit breaking makes it 2-3 times as strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So a few questions for people who played JP.

1) Are new abilities for characters introduced? If so are they done via weapons or upping the rank of the Crystal Upgrade system

2) Is taking characters you don't have 5 star weapons for, just equipping 5 stars you have on them, and then using them viable in higher levels of play?

3) Will every event give a 5 star piece of gear with a stat passive?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Aerox posted:

What's the best/quickest way to max out weapons? Even the 4* mats seem to barely move the bar once I hit around level 12+. Is there somewhere farmable that drops 5* mats?

5* mats are rare as hell by design, as 4 of them will limit break a weapon without needing a dupe copy. 3* weaps and 3*/4* orbs are your main source of equipment leveling. Yes, it's pretty painful, again by design, fully breaking and maxing out the level of a weapon permanently gives the affinity character access to the equipment's passive without needing it equipped.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
After finishing the campaign I went round looking for 'the best' XP grind spot and noticed the system is a bit weird. Additional battles give way more XP than level or map differences. Meaning a side quest with 3 battles in chapter 2 hard (L23 which auto can finish in less than 2 minutes) gives 266 XP compared to a main quest with 3 battles in chapter 5 hard (L47 and auto gets slaughtered) gives 333 XP. Clearly the former wins since I can do something else and just let auto level me.

If you spot a side quest on a harder map with 3 battles please post. I went through the maps earlier (admittedly rather half-assed) but couldn't see any. h right, the one I'm using is:

Chapter 2 on hard, Ominous Shrine Ruins Pt. 2

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How do you level lowbies? I have a team of Cloud, Tifa, and Rem on the early 20s but if I want to have others catch up (I've read up Vaan is really good), what's the best way to level them?

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Schneider Heim posted:

How do you level lowbies? I have a team of Cloud, Tifa, and Rem on the early 20s but if I want to have others catch up (I've read up Vaan is really good), what's the best way to level them?

Save an exp tome if you have one and do the crystals daily. I leveled 5 dudes past 20 in the 10 runs.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

So a few questions for people who played JP.

1) Are new abilities for characters introduced? If so are they done via weapons or upping the rank of the Crystal Upgrade system

2) Is taking characters you don't have 5 star weapons for, just equipping 5 stars you have on them, and then using them viable in higher levels of play?

3) Will every event give a 5 star piece of gear with a stat passive?
1) No new abilities, with the exception of EX weapons, which add a special ability with recovering charges. However, Another 10 levels of crystal upgrade (and another tier of crystal) will be added with each character's level break, which will include passive to make the two base skills stronger. For example, Squall's 55 awakening passive adds an HP attack to the end of Renzokuken (Solid Barrel) if it pushes Squall above 80% of his max brave. This is also why Squall is THE man, as he's able to constantly do full strength HP attacks like no other can.

2) They won't get the affinity bonus from using their own gear, or the passive, so it's not a great idea. Squall is a 46/100 with no affinity gear, and 98/100 with his best stuff.

3) Every event gives a 35CP piece of gear for that character and a duplicate if you can finish the entire event. Storyline characters get their gear from the guard medal currency system, which we do not have access to just yet. Medals are typically event rewards, and you usually get enough for one or two pieces of armor of your choice (but you cannot buy duplicates). Also, CP35 armors cannot be mastered yet, as there is one piece of armor per character in the guard medal system and no 5* armor orbs just yet... best case is 2/3 limit breaks for event characters, unless you're willing to permanently sacrifice armor from other characters into a select few on your team (don't do this, as irrelevant characters get buffed into importance all the time). Much later on, 5* armor orbs will be a thing, allowing mastery without sacrifice.

As the game gets older and 35CP weapons flood the system, power medals will be added. These are much rarer than guard medals and can be traded for 15CP weapons. That's the stuff we're getting out of the gacha now, but only one of each 15CP weap can be bought via medals). 15CP weapons will also be given out for free during later character events, assuming you can beat the difficulty 55 stage.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 7, 2018

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just a heads up... Yuna and Terra are very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHxmRm5Peg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh8qH5huqcM

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 7, 2018

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I pulled on the new banner because why not and I got Terra's sword. I unlocked a crystal thing for a half hour, slapped a tome on, and she's level 30 now. I can see down the line meltdown doing an assload of damage for sure.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Schneider Heim posted:

I put a team of low to mid teens into that hard quest I posted and they finished on auto no trouble. So use the daily like J3ng4 said to get them to mid teens then auto grind while you watch TV.

Edit: On second thoughts don't. My 2nd team was low-mid teens but had gold gear and some crystals. I tried with my 3rd group and they died hard.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 7, 2018

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Is Squall the only one who can equip his armor? Just want to make sure this second copy is only for limit breaking.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yes, 5* armor is character specific, and although the game doesn't explicitly state it, the thing you should do with your second copy is limit break your first copy

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I think Tutorial says equipment like that is character specific.
Cant seem to equip it on anyone else either.

The event was easy but that's fine since were all still leveling n stuff, wasnt like in FFRK where that helicopter thing and Rufus and pup wrecked peoples faces. But just how much harder do events eventually get?
also does the world of illusions go away anytime or do new things randomly show up eventually? Done the 6 levels the levels (though only Complete on 5 of them) and nothing shows up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Too many choices in this game.. I have so many characters with their weapons and they're all really good options. Think I'm going to stick with Cloud, Squall, Terra for now.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Right now there are like 1 or 2 obviously good choices to throw your colored rocks at per color and surprise surprise they're the protags

BLACK: Squall/Cecil
WHITE: Yuna/WoL
BLUE: Zidane/Cloud
GREEN: Terra
RED: Vaan
YELLOW: Bartz/Y'shtola

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so I asked before but no one answered

HOW do you limit break a weapon? I don't recall seeing a tutorial for it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Enhance a 4* or 5* weapon/armor with a copy of itself, up to 3 times and then max out it's level to permanently unlock it's passive ability. Also 4*s will become a 5* after you completely limit break and level them.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

silvergoose posted:

You have to feed it either copies of itself or Power Stones (which aren't in the game yet).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Feed the duplicate weapon to your base weapon like you would any upgrade material.

Pulled on the new weekly banner for giggles and got two Penelo weapons. Also trying to grind up Squall/Zidane/WoL to cap so I can complete the last event quest.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

cirus posted:

You have to feed it either copies of itself or Power Stones (which aren't in the game yet).

They are, you get them for selling 5* gear :science:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cools thanks. Does it have to be at max level first, or any time?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Any time. It'll actually give the base weapon some xp too.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Beasteh posted:

They are, you get them for selling 5* gear :science:

Oh I didn't know that - I haven't gotten enough 5* to consider selling any. I was thinking of the ones that will eventually be available in the points shop.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I helped 31 followers yesterday, hooray

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

To clarify a bit, you get power stones by selling native 5 star weapons. That means you can't get one from selling off a 4 star piece limit broken to 5 star, and you can't get one from selling off 5 star event armor.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

It took me wayyyy too long to notice this thread. I've got a lvl 50 WoL with his sword and armor up as my support. I'll send out invites to goons soon.

Edit: Yeah, but I've been playing since it came out, and posted in the main Dissidia thread and FFBE thread. vvvvv

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 7, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

It took me wayyyy too long to notice this thread. I've got a lvl 50 WoL with his sword and armor up as my support. I'll send out invites to goons soon.

...didn't the game get released, like, days ago? (w.r.t. your wayyyy too long)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What does the blue S by this armor mean? It appears to have identical stats to the other ones without an S, but it can't be used as upgrade material or anything.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Aerox posted:

What does the blue S by this armor mean? It appears to have identical stats to the other ones without an S, but it can't be used as upgrade material or anything.

I think it means that's what your support is currently equipped with. I have the same S on my squall weapon/armor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh hey, someone made a thread already!

Friend Code: 102196026
Cloud with max LB level 35 Ogrenix

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vitamean posted:

To clarify a bit, you get power stones by selling native 5 star weapons. That means you can't get one from selling off a 4 star piece limit broken to 5 star, and you can't get one from selling off 5 star event armor.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. The game explicitly states that only 5* base can be sold for power stones.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hmm, yeah, that sounds right.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any good maps for the lowest level crystal farm? I have tons of the 2nd and 3rd tier from coop rewards and am starved for the lowest poo poo. Kind of thinking that might be where I drop my keys and double item totems - low level daily dungeon.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just noticed another odd thing. Rank up doesn't seem to be tied to XP or anything but rather to levels gained on units. I'd taken Vaan, Yuna and Terra to the illusions with Vaan carrying the other 2. They leveled like mad from 1 run and I got a rank up. 2 runs another rank up, 2 runs another rank up. Earlier I'd been grinding a different much higher level party which hadn't leveled much but had made a lot of XP. So it stands to reason that it's levels gained that get you rank up.
That would suggest there's a rank cap of some sort once everything is maxxed out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I just noticed another odd thing. Rank up doesn't seem to be tied to XP or anything but rather to levels gained on units. I'd taken Vaan, Yuna and Terra to the illusions with Vaan carrying the other 2. They leveled like mad from 1 run and I got a rank up. 2 runs another rank up, 2 runs another rank up. Earlier I'd been grinding a different much higher level party which hadn't leveled much but had made a lot of XP. So it stands to reason that it's levels gained that get you rank up.
That would suggest there's a rank cap of some sort once everything is maxxed out.

Every ten levels across all your characters increases your rank.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ratzap posted:

And the cap will rise as they release new characters.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It's a handy way to XP up quickly at the crystal illusion thing. Carry a low level when you're almost out of SP so you gain levels, rank up and have full SP again from the rank up.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Vitamean posted:

Every ten levels across all your characters increases your rank.

OOOOOOOOOH
That explains so much. I was wondering why I was leveling up at random.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I got a 5* staff for Vivi which I'm assuming everyone does but man it just destroys at these low levels.

ID is 113743541

What's the best way to spend gems in the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

I got a 5* staff for Vivi which I'm assuming everyone does but man it just destroys at these low levels.

ID is 113743541

What's the best way to spend gems in the beginning?

I pulled until I was satisfied that I could handle whatever and then have saved the rest (except I pulled on the banner yesterday that had Terra's weapon I guess but I'm still at 25k gems).

There is better stuff coming down the pipe in the next few months but I doubt I'm going to get serious about this game so I'm just pulling whenever the mood strikes me.