Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Thanks, and yeah you're right. I slapped it together in about 25 minutes. I'll expand it when I get a chance.

eh, no need to put in too much more effort than the UFC did setting up their February cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

kensei posted:

I wonder if that would be for an interim belt?

There is no way Nate Diaz makes 145 on short notice. I dont know if he makes 145 with any notice. It'd probably be 155 for fun if true.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Acinonyx posted:

I can't think of times the champ was the underdog, but I'm sure it must have happened.

Miocic vs. Ngannou wasn't that long ago.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

The Interim Violence Weight Championship.

Interim? Who holds the Violence Weight title?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

The fight we're talking about had a 217-1 strike differential and blood everywhere. It ended by submission, and the losing fighter had to tap out three times before Yamasaki stopped the fight.

and really, the only reason Shevchenko grabbed the neck was because she was exhausting herself punching her opponent's face.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

david carmichael posted:

Blood is the concern of the doctor not the ref. But if those strikes were meaningful it sounds like her corner was bad

It is stupid to ever expect a corner to call a fight, to the point where we should just forget that its even a thing that can theoretically happen.

Shevchenko got mounted crucifix twice for prolonged face-punching sessions where it was not possible to defend, and Mario just stood there and watched. It was easily one of the worst-reffed fights I had ever seen.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/NiedzwiedzMMA/status/960983735985459200

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

I don't get that either - they found a drug in his system, they found proof that the drug was in there through no fault of his own, so why is he getting banned from fighting? So he'll learn the lesson not to get accidentally drugged by a food product that doesn't correctly list what is inside of it and isn't on any prohibited lists?

The WADA code has always looked at "tainted" supplements as a mitigating factor, not an exculpatory defense. Strict liability of what you put into your body is an important part of anti-doping to counter concerns that the athlete might have clever scientists on his side allowing him to constantly "mess up" with "tainted supplements" or "tainted food". WADA doesn't really want anyone to take supplements anyway, they are not seen as necessary at all, so at some point if you keep failing tests we just have to draw a line and say "gently caress you, this is now turning into your fault somehow."

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As a hardcore UFC fan, I have never just outright skipped 2 consecutive PPV's since I started seriously watching the sport. The UFC is going to test me next month.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC just made Cyborg-Kunitskaya and Edgar-Ortega for 222 official. Cyborg opened up as a -1000 favorite.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

Wonder which ref will get blamed for an extremely non competitive women’s fight that never should have happened this time

That won't be a problem unless Yamasaki is literally the ref again.

The people who blamed the UFC matchmaking for the Shevchenko debacle are loving idiots because anyone else would have stopped it quickly.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A couple hours ago, Marc Goddard decided his life didn't have enough frustration and conflict, so he inexplicably decided to tweet this out. Its going about as well as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk/status/961733080003305472

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DoombatINC posted:

By what goddamn definition does that look "promising" Ariel

"I was correct on a scoop! Hooray!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's a happier tweet. Jose Aldo is visiting Mickey Mouse :3:

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/961765194295906304

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Soothing Vapors posted:

MMA confessions: I have trouble remembering which one is Chris Weidman and which one is Luke Rockhold unless I'm looking directly at a picture of one of them

Are you sure you didn't get that backwards?

From a distance they are both square-jawed white dudes in the looks department, but if I gave you their names, it shouldn't take you 2 seconds to tell me which one is the New York guy who knocked off the spider at the height of his powers and which one got KO'd hilariously by old man Bisping.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Matt Lindland posted:

Yeah how could you confuse the two bland idiots with bland idiot names who are supposed to be good but keep getting KOed terribly. One of them had a good win 5 years ago.

One of them is in the 3rd or 4th-most played UFC clip ever. That might help.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trast posted:

How long before Dana cuts her?

I don't think he will if she maintains a record that is at all credible. She's a useful "we don't care what they do" answer to any annoying questions about whether he's against a fighter's union.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/964205234850418688

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

El Roncho posted:

I don't know who either of those people are. I just know Kevin Lee calling out Khabib after the Barboza fight caused me to roll my eyes so hard it made my head hurt.

You can like Kevin Lee. It's fine. I don't fault you for it. He's definitely a good fighter. I just feel like his push came so soon. Sorry if this is the kind of thing Joe Buck says about Randy Moss.

This post reads like those nerds who cleverly (they think) said things like "ooh is this the day we all look for the Superb Owl? I love birdwatching!" or "yay, sportsball!" a couple weeks ago.

95%+ of this board is going to know who those two people are and understand the analogy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JHomer722 posted:

I've been totally out of the loop: what do you all think about the DC Stipe matchup?

Honestly, I think DC will wrestle the poo poo out of Stipe and win a fairly boring decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Happy Cowboy day, y'all

edit: lol, just now checked out the faceoffs from yesterday, and Yancy Medeiros came to the stage with a gift for Cowboy. (skip to 3 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshQ1nz2CKo

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 18, 2018

• Locked thread