Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo I loved this game when I played it - can't wait to see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Every potential flag. For everything. We're not even a page through.

It's quite alarming. ⛳️ times a hundred.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

When you have ruby-colored eyes, all the red flags just look like flags.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Petalouda

And I apologize for being late today.
Now there’s something unusual — you not being punctual.
Maybe next we’ll go a whole month without rain. Do have mercy on next year’s crops, Mell.
You hyperbolize, Father.
So, did something nice happen?
Huh?
You look like you’re in good spirits.
D-Do I? No, uh, nothing...
Something did happen, didn’t it?
I-It’s all over my face, isn’t it?
People prefer an open book to a face of stone.
So it is...
People may prefer it, but it’s not a good trait to have for social engagements.
What?
Not the kind of engagements you’ll be having, anyway.
Hahaha, I’m sorry. Don’t look so dejected. For now, at least, there’s nothing wrong with that. So tell me, what has you in such a joyous mood, Mell?
You torment me so, Father.
...We’ve taken on another maid. Y-You know how that goes, right? Someone new comes and things get lively for a while.
All the excitement has gotten to me — that’s all.
Ohoho.
Wh-Why are you looking at me like that?
No reason, no reason. So, what family does the little lady come from?
Oh, uh, I don’t actually know.
You don’t know?
I was going to ask her, but I missed my chance. Father has returned home... and I can’t speak to Mother.
I see...
She’s caught your eye, has she?
Yeah, she has.
But the truth is, you’re more than just interested in her, are you not?
Wha — No, I — !
Hahaha.
Ahaha...
You truly do enjoy tormenting me. Well, I should be getting home now.
Mell.
Yes?
Make certain you find out where she’s from.
If you’re genuinely interested in her... it’s your responsibility to determine if she’s actually suitable for you.
Thank you, and excuse me.

It doesn’t matter if she’s from an esteemed family or not.
N-No! I’m not in love with her. I’m just interested!
This isn’t love, no. It couldn’t be...
This is me we’re talking about...
Besides, I hardly even know her.

(It’s the same beggar as before.)
(I don’t think he’s moved since then.)
(But he looks skinnier than last time.)
(He’s going to have trouble making it through the summer.)
(I should give him something while I still have the chance.)
Alms for the poor... Have mercy...
Sorry, but this is all I have to give you...
Ahh... thank you very much. Blessings upon you. May the Lord bless your soul, young sire.
Thanks...
(I feel bad for him... but that’s just the way of the world.)
Farewell.

The sun shone fiercely down on the town that day. As was characteristic of the area, cloudy days and rain were frequent during this season, but the sun almost always took the stage the day after a storm. The cathedral standing tall in the center of town. The stone-paved streets clacking with the pleasant sound of footsteps. The people peering out from beneath awnings to look up at the sky. In Mell’s eyes, it was as if they were all blessed by a divine light.

However, not everyone living in the same land was equally blessed. In fact, the blessed were far outnumbered by the forsaken. Even if their time would later come to be referred to as the Golden Age.

Elsewhere — back at the mansion, Nellie was causing trouble for the abigails. On a whim, she had decided to redecorate her bedchamber, so she gathered the maids and put them to work, shouting orders and demands and complaints. And she had not summoned only her personal servants, but others as well — including the White-Haired Girl.

The tapestry goes by the door! And I don’t like the carpet’s pattern. Is there anything else we can change it with?
Hey! Who put this ugly vase here?!

Nellie appeared to be rather irritated, and it was the servants who bore the brunt of her frustration. Though if they found this similarly vexing, none of them showed it. She was a girl who spoke her mind — a trait particular to that time in history. Women of the Golden Age were so vivacious, in fact, that it inspired parody and satire in foreign countries. But no matter how hands-off her parents were, had Nellie been born a generation earlier, or a generation later, she likely would not have been able to act so free-spirited.

That day, however, Nellie did not seem to be her usual self. Though she always spoke her mind, it rarely went beyond being childishly adorable. It was unusual to see her in such a foul mood, not even a smile on her face.

Ugh, get rid of all of it! The carpet, that chair, the desk! It’s all so ugly! Don’t we have anything better?!
If we don’t, then order it! Have it made! you can do that much, can’t you?!
Hurry up and replace them!

Having only arrived that morning, the White-Haired Girl was unsure what she was supposed to be doing, caught in the middle of a flurry of maids and furniture and fabric. She chased frantically scrambling abigails with her eyes and made attempts to help, but not being familiar with the work, she only ended up getting in their way. She probably felt that everyone would be better off with her not in the room. So when the maids ordered to get new furniture made their way out of Nellie’s room, she attempted to follow them.

You hold on a second. you. Yes, you, with the white hair.

However, Nellie stopped her before she could take her leave.

Wha...?

The White-Haired Girl turned back, bewildered, to find Nellie smiling at her. The corners of her mouth turned up into a self-assured grin. There was no trace of timidity or uncertainty in her demeanor. Her flaxen eyes seemed like they would look nice under the light of the sun.

Almost the exact opposite of the White-Haired Girl, hehe.

I wanted to talk to you, actually. But Mother never was one to share.
I asked her to trade maids, but she wouldn’t have it.
Trade...? you mean for...
Hehe. Which is why I decided to completely redecorate my room. Because then I would need some extra hands.
But why?
Because Mother and Father refuse to tell me anything. Why is that? Who are you, exactly? Where did you come from?
Tell me, what house are you from?
I-I...
Why can’t you tell me? If we took you in, you must be from a fairly decent family.
As a member of the Rhodes family, I have a right to know. Do I not? you can’t expect me to welcome a girl into my home who won’t even tell me where she came from.
I don’t know anything about you. I haven’t seen you at any parties!
I-I’m...
I-I came from another country.
Another country? What country?
Somewhere very... very far away.
Oh? North of here? East? West? South?
U-Umm... South... It’s south of here.
I crossed the sea to get here, which is why we have never met before.
How far did you have to travel, then? How many times did the sun rise, and how many stormy nights did you face?
I-Innumerable days and nights we sailed, heading ever further north.
Huh...
So tell me —
Ah, L-Lady Nellie! That is a most wonderful painting!
(She just tried to brush me off! I won’t let her get away that easy!)
Painting? It’s in my room, so of course it’s wonderful.
But that... that one’s especially so.
You’re both so adorable... you, Lady Nellie, and Lord Mell... Hehe. How old were you when it was painted?
Huh?
Ahh, that painting! Goodness, yes, you have a good eye for art! Hehehe. It is magnificent, isn’t it?
This was done when I was four and Mell was seven. you see how we’re standing next to each other, holding hands?
I was too young to remember it very well, but Mell looks like he was really embarrassed.
But standing there like statues makes for a boring painting.

Though many paintings lined the walls of her room... Nellie was most fond of the one of her and her brother. Two darling siblings standing side-by-side, the older brother smiling kindly and the younger sister sweetly tilting her head, her cheeks the color of fresh-picked apples. It was like the very embodiment of their happiness. A painting lays its subjects bare, you know — fortune and misfortune, happiness and sorrow — enshrined on canvas for all to see. And this reflection is not merely limited to the point in time it was made, either.

Did you know, Master, that paintings are alive? They are drawn with a brush over an extended stretch of time, unlike photographs, which capture a singular moment. The two have their own individual merits, but a photograph is still, while a painting moves. Portraits reveal both the past and the present state of those they depict. Hehe...

I would sing songs for him, and he would teach me about all sorts of things! He’s so smart.
Nowadays, Mell hardly even goes on walks with me, making excuses like “I’m an adult now.” But we used to spend a lot of time playing together in the rose garden.
I see...

The White-Haired Girl normally had difficulty smiling, but her lips naturally curled upward as Nellie reminisced. A vision of the two happy siblings had probably swelled up in her mind. And I imagine... there was a faint trace of envy in her heart as well.

Lady Nellie... you love Lord Mell quite deeply, I see.
Yes, of course I do! Mell’s smart, and he’s studious, and he’s incredibly kind.
For my birthday, he gave me this wonderful rose necklace.
The jewelry shop he got it from is famous because even the royal family makes commissions from their workshop.
So he had to have ordered it months in advance.
Just for me!
Hehehe.
He’s a prince.
Oh?
Heheh.
He’s pretty charming, wouldn’t you say? That’s why I call him my prince.
But you know what? Mell is a terrible dancer, and he still hasn’t got his feet on the ground yet, and he’s so bad at interacting with girls.
So there’s no one else who would say that about him.
He is quite the gentleman. I assumed women would be drawn to him...
Gentleman? Have you met Mell already?
...This morning, briefly.

Um...
What do you think about Mell?
I, um... As I said, he is a gentleman.
That’s not what I mean!
Don’t think I’ll let you get away with putting any funny ideas in his head!
What?!
Mell is too trusting! He’s pure of heart! So I won’t stand for you trying to take advantage of him!
I-I would never...
So you say, but you actually want to get close to him...
I — I wouldn’t dream of it, Lady Nellie. H-He is a man far beyond my reach...
You aren’t planning on doing anything, are you?
Not at all...
And you don’t have any romantic feelings for him, do you?
Wha — Um...
Well? Do you?!
I have no... romantic feelings for him, Lady Nellie.
And you won’t develop any?
...I will not.

And with that, Nellie gave a wide, satisfied grin. Even though one has no way of knowing how another truly feels — or how they might in the future.

Hehe. you wouldn’t, would you? Now that I think about it, there are plenty of other boys. you getting together with Mell is downright absurd!
I-Indeed...
Ahh, but anyway, back to what we were talking about earlier! your family! I almost forgot!
I, um...
You haven’t told me exactly where you came from, or anything about your —

The work of a true artisan! I’m simply in love with it!
Surely you will find it to your liking as well?
Wow, you’re right! That’s a Florentine stitch, isn’t it? I wonder whether someone mimicked the style, or if it was imported.
Either way, a great find! Let’s hurry up and get it laid out! Oh, and we’ll have to see how the colors go with everything else!
We have to finish redecorating quickly so I can show Mell! He’ll be so surprised!
“What wonderful taste you have, Nellie.” Hehehe.

When the other abigails returned, so too did the bustle within Nellie’s room. As the White-Haired Girl watched, a faint smile crossed her lips. Perhaps it was from relief at having escaped Nellie’s inquisition. Or perhaps...

Did you eat something you’re not supposed to, dearest Mell? you’re unusually cheerful.
I-I’m the same as always. Anyway —
Never mind that, dearest Mell! Take a look at my room! I redecorated today!
So that’s what you’ve been doing hiding away in the house all day, Nellie?
How is that any different than what you were doing? you were in the church all day.
I-I guess.
I will look at your room, I promise, but first... uh, do you know where the new maid is?
Now now, don’t get any strange ideas. I just haven’t yet had the chance to introduce myself, and I thought I should, as a member of the family.
(Except you have, and I know it...)
Being the eldest son, it would be shameful if she were to pass me in the halls not even knowing who I am, so...
Don’t ask me.
What? But you were in the house all day!
She attends to Mother, so why would I know where she is? Though she did help redecorate my room.
You made her help? That’s work for the menservants. There was no reason to make the maids do it.
Oh, so you’re saying I should invite a bunch of men into my room?!
I go into your room all the time, Nellie. And you were in my bedchamber just this morning.
Only one man is allowed in my bedroom, dearest Mell, and that is you. So unless you become a servant — which I will not stand for — I will not ask any of them for help.
Oh Nellie... you ought to be a little more...
A little more what? If you’re going to lecture me, I won’t hear it!
What am I going to do with you, my little lady?
What? What? Why are you looking at me like that?!
We talked about you, dearest Mell! And I’m not going to tell you what she said!
About me?! What did she say?!
Hmph.
Please, Nellie!
...She said...

Wha — Wh-Why did that even come up?
Because we’re both girls. We talk about things like what kind of boys we like and who’s the most handsome.
Why do you look so downtrodden, dearest Mell?! you look like a sad little boy who can’t get his crush to notice him!
(That face is unbecoming of a prince, Mell...)
Are you interested in her? That’s strange. you haven’t even met.
I-I am not!
It’s just depressing to find out that someone you’ve never even met doesn’t like you...
That’s all.

(If I’m going to make my move... I must do so soon. I don’t have much time.)
(The master of the house isn’t around... so next in line would be him...)
That painting...

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
Does Nellie seem like someone who likes a more direct or subtle approach?

I'm asking in anticipation for a murder spree.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Ominous portrait, check. Just waiting for the magic circles and bloodshed to start now.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Enough red flags to outfit a Soviet military parade.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

xxlicious posted:

Ominous portrait, check. Just waiting for the magic circles and bloodshed to start now.

And thanks to the time period, we can't even use the small bombs excuse, can we? :sigh:

evergate
Jan 15, 2010

Skylight posted:

And thanks to the time period, we can't even use the small bombs excuse, can we? :sigh:

Nope! ahahaha.wav

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Luciole

Hehehe. By now, it should be quite obvious to you what Mell was feeling. But the boy himself was having difficulty comprehending the things going through his heart. Emotionally, he was horribly unstable — like a ship without a sail.

And still, every time he spotted the White-Haired Girl, his heart would leap, his whole body jitter with anxiety and excitement. He had never felt anything like this before, and as such, he struggled to keep these strange emotions in check. Whenever he saw an opportunity, Mell would speak to the White-Haired Girl. And days he was unable to, he either spent in secluded silence or a distracted daze.

Love is a curious thing. It has the power to change those who experience it. When he did manage to approach her, he tripped over his tongue. Again and again he talked to her, and again and again he stumbled. I imagine, if you were to take him to see a romance at the theatre in his present state, he would cry just as much as little Nellie. We cry at tragedies because we draw parallels with our own lives. At least, that is what I think. Great tales of romance attain true gravity with the audience only when they are personally familiar with love.

In any event, the White-Haired Girl was, as a result of this, visibly perturbed. She was delighted that he was being so kind to her, but confusion overpowered every other emotion. She appeared to be at a loss for what to do as he clumsily catapulted words and stares at her. But Mell did not back down — though he probably knew not what caused such fiery emotion to erupt from within his breast. One’s first love, in particular, tends to burn like a wildfire. Are you familiar with the sensation, Master?

Oh? Hehehe.

(There she is. Is she cleaning? No, it looks like she’s reading.)
(It’s now or never.)

Aah!
Ahaha! Sorry, sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.
L-Lord Mell... you very clearly meant to scare me.
Because you just wouldn’t notice me. What are you reading? you looked pretty engrossed.
Oh... I-I’m sorry. I should have asked for permission...
It’s fine. No need to apologize. Feel free to read whatever you want. And you’re welcome to bring books back to your room if you’d like to spend more time with them.
Um, but... I was just...
I was just amazed... that the mansion had a library.
It must have been a lot of work to collect all these books.
There are some pretty old books in here too.
Your grandfather’s?
Some that he collected, and some even older than that. Take a look at this. I think it’s a diary, but it’s not from this country.
Or this century, for that matter. Maybe a feudal lord? Haha. Here, he’s complaining about the quality of the harvest.
“Can this forsaken land only produce oversour grapes? Ahh, if only the largest of the...” Uh... Barney? Or maybe Barnier?
“If only the largest of the Barnier estates were mine instead. The land there is much more suitable to cultivation.”
There you have it.
You can read this, Lord Mell?
More or less. I’ve looked over it several times already, so that wasn’t too difficult.
Why would such an old book be here?
I’m not sure. It, and all of this, was already here when I moved into the mansion.
Have you not lived here your whole life?
I was born at our estate. But to me and Nellie, this is more like our home.
We moved when I was still young, and we’ve lived here ever since. Nellie and Mother have both grown quite fond of it.
Father, though, often goes back to the house, because he doesn’t like all the roses.
By himself?
[wt]Yeah. Well, sometimes Mother goes with him. But for the most part, he goes alone.
But don’t get me wrong — it’s not because they don’t get along. In fact, they act more like teenagers in love than grown adults.
It almost makes me sick having to watch it.
It is a wonderful thing to be so close, no matter how old they may be.
True, but still...
...There are those in the world who cannot be with the ones they care for, as much as they may wish.
Um... I’m sorry... about that...
Uhh...
Oh, that’s right. The book. What were you reading?
I, um... wasn’t exactly... “reading”...
I can’t — I do not enjoy reading lots of text, so I was looking at the pictures.
Is that so? you seem very cultured, so I thought you would be partial to reading. Perhaps you’re actually more like Nellie, and eschew your studies?
Um, I... Yes.
Ahaha, I wouldn’t have guessed.
But you like looking at pictures?
I do.
What else do you like?
What?
What do you enjoy doing?
It can be anything.
I enjoy... being told stories.
Stories?
Yes. When I was young, my father would tell me tales...
What kinds of stories did you like?
Um... there was one about an imprisoned girl.
Tell it to me.

BGM: Odonata (Unrest)

But the window sat high upon the wall, far beyond her reach. So it was always very dark inside — unlike this mansion. However, the girl did not like the outside world. There were lots of scary things out there, after all. Though she may have been all alone in the mansion, she grew comfortable with the darkness in time, so she had nothing to be afraid of.

You’re doing fine. Keep going. What happens next?
Okay...

By then, she had already forgotten why she was locked up. But she was content with the darkness. However, her eyes couldn’t help but be drawn to the little bit of light that spilled through the one window. Though she was comfortable in the darkness, the sight of the light made her heart race. At first, the girl thought it was because she found it unpleasant. Because she disliked the light, and the outside. But slowly she came to realize... that she was curious about the outside world.

What could be happening out there? For all she knew, the town, the forest, the people, all of it could have changed while she was imprisoned in the mansion. But she had no way of finding out... So the girl decided to write letters and throw them out the window.

What began as empty grasping became routine, continuing for several months until she was finally ready to give up. But then, a beautiful white dove flew in through the window.

The letter contained numerous questions for the girl. It also said that if she attached her reply to the dove, it would bring the letter back to him. She was astonished, but she wrote him back anyway, taking care not to mention where she was. After having exchanged letters a number of times, the two felt very close to one another — as though they had known each other for many years, despite having never met. And eventually, the man...

Indeed. The girl was unsure what to do. Should she tell him of how she lived? Should she reveal where she spent her days? She was afraid if she did, he would cease to send her letters. She was sure he believed her to be a young lady of noble blood... and not a girl locked away in a house deep in the forest. The girl could not bring herself to write a response. She released the dove through the window with nothing attached to its leg. And yet, it returned with another letter, written in the man’s familiar hand.

“You must surely have a grave reason for your silence,” it said. “I would like to know that reason, and I would like to help you. No matter what it may be, you have my word.” She deliberated. Though his letters were kind, she did not know this man. He was from the outside. Would he still treat her the same way when he met her? And did she even want to step out into the world beyond?

What do you think she did?

Yes... she did. The girl made up her mind: she would write a letter. As always, when she tied it to the dove’s leg, it flew off out the window. And for some time after that, she received no response from the man. This saddened her, but she thought it was for the best. She belonged in her own confined world, her world of darkness.

But then one day, light shone into the mansion. The sealed door had been opened, and in the doorway stood a handsome young man. “I have come for you,” he said. The man was a prince from a neighboring kingdom. When the girl stepped outside, before her sat a magnificent carriage — the likes of which she had never before seen — accompanied by many servants. The prince, kind as in the letters, swore his love to her.

And the two... lived happily ever after.

Hehe... A prince.
Um, was there something funny about the story?
No, no, that’s not why I was laughing. ...Do you ever imagine what it would be like if a prince showed up for you?
Huh?
It doesn’t have to be a real prince — even just someone like one. Is that something you dream about?
Oh, no, um... I think I’m... perhaps a little too old for that.
You think so? Nellie still fantasizes about her prince, and she’s fourteen. I just assumed all girls were the same.
Lady Nellie’s prince... That’s you, Lord Mell, no?
Wha —
Is it not?
I mean, we used to play make-believe a lot when we were kids, but I very much doubt she still thinks of me that way in earnest. When she calls me her prince now, it’s mostly in jest.
If it weren’t... that would be concerning.
Oh?
Uh... That story — do you know if it’s a regional tale? One that’s been passed down through the ages.
I am not sure. It could very well be of my father’s own creation.
Um... you might think me conceited... but I think the story might be about me.
The girl trapped in the mansion is you? Y-You haven’t been locked up anywhere before, have you?!
N-No, thankfully... I have never been locked up before.
Thank goodness.
But with an appearance like mine... I can sympathize with her being afraid of the outside world.
I have, at times, imagined how wonderful life would be...
if it were only me and my father.
But the girl left the house in the end.
If your father really wrote that story, then I believe it contains his hope for you to end up the same way.
Oh?
I don’t have what it takes to be a real prince and whisk you away, but...
I can at least pretend.
So if it was your father’s wish for you to see the outside world...
then surely there’s nothing wrong with you getting out and experiencing all the scenery that world has to offer.
I want to see the outside too. Or, to be more specific, other countries.
So... so, uh...
If you’d like, we...
...could maybe go see distant lands together —

N-Nellie...
Look at this, dearest Mell! Mother bought me these wonderful gloves to wear on walks!
The roses embroidered on the wrists are just precious!
Oh my, you’re right. They are beautiful.
...? you appear to be dizzy, Lord Mell. Are you feeling unwell?
N-No... I’m fine...
Hahaha...

Mell was feeling frustrated at his inability to convey his feelings to her. And as his frustration built up over time, he developed... I suppose you could call it a severe case of lovesickness? For several consecutive nights, he had been afflicted with a peculiar sensation.

BGM: None

Death to the unholy one!
Death to the heretic!
Death to the witch!

Was she not eating?!
Seal off the tower. Understood? No one finds out about this.
How... can you be so calm?!
Don’t you understand what you’ve done?!
Ha. Pinning the blame on me? How nice it must be to be able to distort reality with panic.
...!
You’re just as guilty as any of us.
I... I never wanted her to die...

... A-A dream?
What was... that dream...? It was... horribly unsettling...
(I was holding someone — a girl I cared for dearly — in my arms, and she was limp...)
(It was almost... as if she were dead...)
(I’ve been having a lot of really unpleasant dreams lately.)
(I can’t stop shaking... Why would I have such a dream? I feel sick...)
Back to sleep...
(But I wonder... Who was that girl?)
...?

Is someone there?
(It’s like they’re watching me...)
(Is it just my imagination?)
(I can’t move.)
(What? What do you want? Go away.)
Haah...
(The sound... is growing fainter.)

BGM: The Maid (Effected)

I...
Is that truly what your story meant, Father?
But I...
Such a magnificent garden... Something we could never have had...
Are my intentions... misguided?
What a beautiful white rose.

No one was watching. Hehehe...
...!
H-How long have you...
Oh, you needn’t pay me any mind. I shall not condemn you, no matter what you might do.
Rather, I am on your side.
I was not... going to do anything.
Oh? Is that so?
Then perhaps you were out for a late-night stroll. I... imagine you have less difficulties going outside at night.
I beg your pardon. I will... return to the mansion immediately.
Oh yes, that reminds me — it was also the middle of the night when the grocer’s servant broke into their safe. News of that spread quite far; I am sure you would have heard about it.
Oh?
Although, was Gemasch imprisoned? Dear me, I am having trouble remembering.
But worry not. If you wish for it, the mansion shall provide. you are in no danger whatsoever of getting caught.
I-I...
You said... that a witch lives in the mansion, did you not?
I did. Does that sound, perhaps, a bit archaic to you?
No... I believe those rumors mockingly refer to me.
Oh my.
I have been accused of being a witch before. Which is amusing — I don’t have any magical powers.
I simply... have an unusual... appear...ance...

My, what a lovely shade of red.
The rose...
Is something the matter?
This rose...
This rose was white. Until I took it in my hand...
Hehe... Is that so?
I apologize. I must sound mad. I’m sure I was just mistaken. It couldn’t possibly have changed —
I wonder...
Yes?
Did the girl locked in the mansion become a princess?
Wha —
We should lock up and head to bed. Make sure all of the shutters are closed nice and tight, and then draw the bar on the front door.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The maid dunnit. Case closed.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Well now even the roses are turning into red flags!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Petalouda

Each early-summer breeze that blew through the garden was like God’s hallowed breath carrying the flowers’ fragrance in through Rose Manor’s windows. If only time could be stopped, and this beautiful era made to live on through eternity.

As usual, Mell’s eyes chased after the White-Haired Girl, and Nellie pursed her lips in frustration at him. But she was still rather docile. Even taking into account how self-centered she behaved, how fickle her temper, Nellie’s fits were still no worse than a playful kitten. See? At that very moment, our lively little feline had her claws poised to swat at the flaxen-haired young man. Hehehe.

I haven’t forgotten, I’m just asking if we can go another day.
Another day? This isn’t something that happens every day! I’ve been looking forward to tonight’s performance for so long.
There’s nothing I can do about that. We’re having a gathering at the priest’s home tonight. Several high-ranking officials have come up from the mainland just for this.
Who cares?!
I-I care... you know, Nellie... it doesn’t have to be me who goes with you.
No! I want to go with you, Mell!
You’ve been so distant lately, dearest Mell. you refuse to do anything with me...
That’s not true.
Tell me — if you can’t go today, when can You? When will you be willing to go out with me?
When will you be willing to play cards with me? To have tea together?
I... can’t make any promises. I have things to do — obligations. And Nellie, you’re almost an adult yourself.
Stop acting like such a child.
I’m not an adult yet! I’m still a kid!
If it means I don’t get to play with you anymore, dearest Mell, then I don’t want to be an adult!
Nellie, you can’t —

Huh? Father does? What could he want?
G-Go on, Nellie! you can’t make Father wait! He’s very particular about people keeping their appointments!
...Yes, he is. Unlike you, dearest Mell.
What’s got her in such a foul mood?

Oh, thank goodness for small miracles. Nellie just won’t seem to take me at my word lately.
You mustn’t be so harsh on her. She is your one and only, darling little sister.
You’re right, but still... she’s taken it a bit too far of late.
Oh? I am not so sure. She does not seem to be behaving any differently to me.
Hmm...
(Am I the one acting differently, then?)
Well, enough about that. Can I ask you a favor?
Me? What can I do for you?
I was thinking...

Physically, Mell was undeniably a young man, but the smirk that crossed his lips as he schemed gave his face the sweet look of a little boy. Or perhaps that was simply part of his charm, and it was not the age disparity but his character that made his smile so heartwarming.

What did he ask of me? Hehehe. you shall find out soon enough.

It’s cloudy...
And thank goodness for that too.
Though it would be even better...
if it were even darker out.
Umm... I believe the textile shop was around here...
Ah...

Lord Mell... Uh, fancy meeting you here?
Yeah... what a surprise. So, uh, what do you say we take this chance and go for a little walk?
Since you’re sensitive to the snlight, we can keep our eyes out for shadowy areas as we go.
And if you feel unwell, just let me know.
U-Um... I was sent out to run an errand...
Don’t worry about that. C’mon, follow me.

Um, I’m sorry... It, uh, actually wasn’t an accident that we crossed paths.
...?
I planned this out ahead of time, asked to have you sent out on a fake errand. It feels like I’m always on alert back at the mansion.
Haha... Can’t relax in my own house. It’s actually kind of funny.
Sorry... that was inappropriate of me. I just thought, since the sun’s mostly blocked out, it would be all right if...
Um, I’m feeling just fine...
Ah...

H-Hey, uh...
Yes?
Have you settled in to life at the mansion?
I have. Everyone has been such a big help.
That’s good to hear.
Indeed.
S-So, uh...
Yes?
Nellie told me she had you help redecorate her room some time back.
Ah, yes, that was shortly after I arrived. What of it?
Yeah, uh, that day, Nellie told me...
that you don’t...
Umm...
I don’t...?
Never mind, sorry. It’s not important.
...?
(It is important, but I can’t just ask how she feels about me...)
(That would make it sound like I...)
(...Forget “sound like.” I do, don’t I?)
Lord Mell?
Oh, sorry... Had something on my mind.
It looks like it might rain again today. The weather usually gets better as summer approaches, not worse like it has been.
It won’t be a heavy storm, though.
No?
The wind is too gentle.
You can tell from that?
Vaguely, but yes.
Huh. That’s impressive. I often leave the house unprepared, only to find myself sloshing back in the rain.
Hehe.

D-Do I?
Yeah, and I like that. you look better with a smile on your face.
A smile suits Lady Nellie much more than I.
What? Her smile and your smile are completely different.
Also... a smile suits you as well, Lord Mell.
D-Do you really think so?
(What am I supposed to do... in the face of a smile like that?)
So, um...
Yes?
(Knowing her, if I ask if I’m imposing, she’ll say no without hesitation.)
(Trying to cover myself isn’t going to get me anywhere.)
Hold on a second.

I was planning to give it to you, but it disappeared before I had the chance.
So... I’d like you to have this... It’s not a real rose, but it won’t wilt, either.
I-I...

Mell was holding an ornamental white rose. It was an impressively detailed replica of the real thing, crafted by an incredibly skilled artisan’s hand. It was, I imagine, made by the same craftsman from whom Mell had ordered Nellie’s birthday necklace. The young man, who but a handful of days earlier had said he had no sweetheart, had come in to commission a present for a girl. The master of the shop must have been quite surprised. Or perhaps it had given him a good laugh instead.

It was for this moment that he so desperately sought for time together with the White-Haired Girl.

I don’t know what you like, so I had to base it on my sister’s tastes.

Is the design not to your liking?
N-No, I just...
If you’re concerned about how much I paid for it, don’t be. I just want you to have it, that’s all.
Please...
Why... are you so kind to me?
Why? Because —
I’m sorry, I can’t accept it!

A clear glint of flustered panic was visible in her red eyes. There is not a girl in the world whose heart would not flutter at the sight of the sparkling rose accessory. But her reaction was far from delight. As a matter of fact, there were traces of fear and apprehension in her countenance.

I beg your pardon!
H-Hold on!

BGM: Odonata

At least... tell me why.
Is it because you dislike me?
I-I never said...
I’m...
Something’s wrong with me. From the day you arrived at the mansion, it’s like I haven’t been myself. I’ve been strangely aflutter ever since then.
Whether I try to study, or whether I try to read, none of it sticks. I’m just looking at pages of text, tracing rows of letters only for them to disappear as soon as I look away.
It’s all... It’s all because of you. I —
I truly, truly am sorry!
Please... don’t be any more generous than you already have! When I’m with you, my willpower wavers...
Wh-What do you mean by that?
I’m so sorry!

Mell’s grip loosened for a moment, allowing her to slip free and dart off like a gust of wind, not giving him a chance to stop her a second time. The dumbfounded flaxen-haired boy stood frozen in place, left all by himself. The breeze, which the White-Haired Girl had called “gentle” earlier, felt faintly chilly — almost as if mocking him.

It looks like... she’s even less fond of me than I thought.
Nnh...
(God, I’m crying.)
I’m pathetic...
...?

...Are you crying?
Ahaha... I’m so pitiful.
Sorry you had to see this...
Think nothing of it.
I passed by a girl just a few moments ago; she appeared to be rather distressed as well. Did something happen between the two of you?
I wasn’t good enough, it seems.
Not good enough?
That was the new maid I was telling you about before. I was... um... Like you said, Father, I was keen on her. Quite.
Enough to bring me to tears like a miserable child.
But she rejected me. I don’t even... have what it takes to be a stand-in prince.
Mell...
I apologize for complaining to you about this. I’m completely hopeless.
...Mell.
Please, don’t try to cheer me up. I don’t need any sympathy. I just...
No, Mell, listen to me.
What?

What do you mean?
But, hmm... you said she was a servant at your house, right? In which case...
Yes, she is. Please tell me, Father. Where did you see her?
Why must you be so evasive?
It was... probably someone else.
Someone else? you’re saying you mistook someone who stands out as much as her?
Father...
She... and a man whom I assume is her father... paid a visit to the church once.
They came asking for food, their clothes in tatters. The two were emaciated; I don’t think they were eating daily.
What?
W-Wait a minute, are you saying...

But Father said... she came from an esteemed house.
Which is why I said I might be mistaken, Mell. She has a singular aspect, but it is possible there is another girl who looks similar.

Deep down, though, the priest surely believed the opposite. And so he said sternly, like teacher to a pupil,

But you must be absolutely certain, Mell. Understood? you cannot proceed any further without knowing her ancestry.
May I visit the church, Father?
By all means.

In the back of Mell’s mind, a vision of the night of the storm — the night the White-Haired Girl arrived at the mansion was surely replaying. She had been wearing little more than rags and covered in grime — hardly the appearance of a respectable young lady of class.

(Have I been putting her through unnecessary stress?)
(If she actually turns out to be nameless, to be rankless...)
(No matter where she comes from, my heart is decided. I will not fool myself about how I feel any longer.)
(No, I cannot fool myself.)
(But how does she feel?)
(What will everyone else think?)
(I have to find out why she was welcomed into our house.)
(I’ll ask Mother, or Father — )
(No... If, for some reason, they don’t know she isn’t aristocratic, I’m better off not saying anything.)
(But if they don’t... then does that mean she’s been lying to us? And to them?)
(I have to find out. This time, I must get answers.)

You come back and the first thing you say is that?! I hate you, Father! I will not stand for this!
...!
Ahh...

Why would he just suddenly throw that on me?!
He didn’t even ask for my opinion...
No! I won’t do it! I’m fine the way things are. I’m just fine...
Dearest Mell... I need your help...
I don’t... I don’t...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 23, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You know, all this time and Mell doesn't even call the girl by her name. Does he even know it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know, all this time and Mell doesn't even call the girl by her name. Does he even know it?

He subtly asked about it by asking about her house, but never received a reply. But hey, this was the convention of romantic tragedy of the time: Romeo and Juliet were slow to introduce themselves.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You would think Mell would ask someone in his household for the girl's name.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I can't quite tell if the art in this game is a particular style or a particular artist that I recognize from somewhere. Do you know who did all these character designs?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The artist appears to only have two other games to their name, both obscure titles that never came out in the States, so odds are slim that you know them from their other work. It does have sort of a Castlevania look to it, though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well this is not gonna end well.

Really loving it so far though!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mraagvpeine posted:

You would think Mell would ask someone in his household for the girl's name.
Witches don't want anyone knowing their true name. :tinfoil:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

My transgression is that I was unable to completely predict where this path we were traveling led. My hands were full dealing with my immediate day-to-day tasks, so I could do naught but pray there was happiness waiting in the future. Happiness for everyone who lived within Rose Manor. But I am but a mere maid. There are limits to what I am allowed to do. And furthermore, it was not my place to offer her my hand.

Roads, such as the one we were following, have a way of diverging with little warning. And if you do not turn the wheel exactly right at those sudden forks, you may end up somewhere horribly off course. I was well aware of that fact... which is why I thought that what I did was for the best.

BGM: The Maid (Effected)

(I made sure the door was closed... but I can sense someone standing there.)
(Someone watching me...)
(Footsteps...)
(They’re looking down at me?)
(I want to open my eyes, but I can’t do it.)
(Curses...)
(You’re just going to leave without doing anything, aren’t you?)
(Then hurry up and get out of here.)
(Free me from this torture.)
— !
(No, tonight they’re — )

(My neck — )
Wh —
(I can’t speak! I can’t move!)
...Ngh.
...!
(These cold fingers... That soft breath...)
Wh...
Why...
(I can move my body. But that’s not important right now.)

You smell of roses. The scent of a world far removed from ours.

He made to gasp at the sight before him, only to realize he could not. The pressure of her cold fingertips wrapped around his throat robbed him almost entirely of the ability to breathe.

(Why?)

He silently mouthed the word. For that moment, at least, her melancholic ruby eyes were focused wholly on the flaxen-haired young man. In them glowed a faint flicker of willpower — and a continuously burning agitation that roused her to action.

I told you... to stop being so kind to me.
(...Why?)
It... It will all be over soon. Please don’t make any noise...
(...Why?)
To put... To put an end to this family, you are my only...

BGM: Odonata

Wha —

Upon hearing Mell’s words, the strength drained from her slender fingers. He had not been questioning “why” she would do such a thing. There was, of course, a trace of bewilderment visible in his eyes. But he did not shout, nor did he tremble in fear. He instead expressed concern for the young woman who looked like a cornered rabbit.

I... I am not... shaking...
You are. I can see it.

As he slowly regained his breath, Mell’s voice too grew clearer. Conversely, the red-eyed girl’s grew progressively more faint and raspy.

You are not doing this because you genuinely want to. There is some other reason...
This is... what I desire.
Have you been to my room before?
You have...
I’m sorry...
Ahaha. Well, I’ll be damned.
Tell me, why are you shaking? you’re not putting any pressure on my neck.
Why haven’t you run?
Because I cannot fathom why you would do this, so I’m not afraid. Do you hate me so deeply you want me dead?
Do you despise me to the point you would be willing to take my life with your own hands?
...No. No, I don’t...

If it isn’t because you detest me, then tell me, why is it?
I am sorry. I will leave your room now. I will do my best not to bother you any further, so please forget anything ever happened.
Do you think I’m just going to say okay and let you go?
Why can’t you tell me the reason?
I’m sorry...
All right, then I’ll try and guess.
What?!
It has... something to do with your lineage. you’re troubled by it somehow. Am I right?
...!
I thought so...
How... do you know about that?
The priest at the church told me he had seen you before. He also told me, um, a little about your origin...
But that’s all I know. The only difference between us is social rank. I don’t know what would cause you to do this.
Please, tell me who you really are. Tell me why you came to the mansion, and why Father allowed you to be a maid.
I haven’t said anything to Mother or Father. If you’re hiding the truth from them, they still don’t know.
But I want to.
I...
I won’t get mad at you or have you punished. I’ll even swear to God, if you’d like. I...
I want to be the prince who whisks you away. I want to be like the prince who rescued the girl from the dark mansion and showed her the world.
I know I’m not that dependable... but I want to help you.
Why... do you show me such compassion? Why do you treat me like this?
I have my hand around your neck!
Why? I thought it would be obvious.
Or have I not expressed myself well enough?

Every time you push away, it crushes me. I didn’t even know my heart could feel such distress.
If you dislike me... and don’t want to be with me... then, well, I’ll just have to live with that. As much as it may hurt.
But if you have some other reason, some weight on your shoulders that you can’t share with anyone else, tell me. I want to help you. There are other options. Things we can do about your —
N-No. That’s not it!
Huh?
I... I’ve tried to hate you, so many times...
So yes, there’s more to it... than just social status...
But... I can’t do it. I couldn’t make myself do it.
What do you mean?
I had so many chances... but I couldn’t do anything.

She spoke in a stifled voice, as if every word had to fight to escape her lips. She appeared so fragile, so precarious looking down on him that it seemed as though, if a gust of wind were to whisk through the room, it would blow her away completely. Her pale fingers were trembling, like she had tried to squeeze them again and failed. However, her hand did not pull away from his still-slender neck.

(Her hand... is so cold.)

He did not challenge her, but simply kept his eyes affixed on hers, as if carefully watching to see what she would do next.

I’ll say it as many times as I must: I love you. And I wouldn’t be able to accept losing you without knowing anything.
So please, tell me the reason. I’ll see to it that you’re taken care of...
Those are the words of a man of means, Lord Mell. Of someone blessed enough to have pity for others.
You are a foolish young man. you know nothing...
But the greatest fool of all... is myself. If you agree to punish me, I will talk.
Tell me.

Her long white hair and his soft flaxen hair touched; for just the briefest of moments, it appeared in the darkness as though they had fused together. The White-Haired Girl, having finally gathered the courage, began to slowly tell her tale.

My father and I were always on the move, traveling across the land by foot, so it was only recently that we heard rumors of Rose Manor.
There are several reasons we couldn’t stay in one place. First... is my unusual appearance.
People often find the color of my skin or eyes disconcerting.
So after living in one place for long enough, unsettling rumors would begin to spread, forcing us to leave.
Another reason... was my father’s line of work. He painted pictures for a living.
But he had trouble finding a patron, so he had to work day-to-day... When he was no longer able to find work in a city, we would move.
We were birds that migrated without a flock.
When we arrived at this town, my father was exhausted and weak. That is when we learned of Rose Manor...
and the family who dwelled within it. Rhodes is a name my father could never forget.
He was, long ago, a painter in service of the Rhodes family.
H-Hold on... your father was an artist here?!
...Yes. It was before I was born, so you probably don’t remember, Lord Mell.
So... you knew about us before you came here?
For as long as I can remember, I’ve known the name Rhodes.

...!
Having failed the Rhodes family, no one else would become his patron. Just as a good reputation spreads, so too does a bad one.
Branded once as a failure, no one will take you in ever again! you nobles throw your parties and spread your gossip about this painter or that sculptor!
The rose you tried to give me is an example of that. It was certainly crafted with skill, but the jeweler is only known because some aristocrat spoke highly of him.
My father’s paintings were no less skillful! His was a talent that could not be easily imitated!
But no one was willing to separate the art from the artist.
The Rhodes family stole everything from my father. But even thrown out onto the streets, his only skill was painting.
That was all he could do to earn a living.
What little money we had for food, he gave to me. He did anything he could to ensure my survival, even at the expense of his own well-being.
...My father passed away in this town.
Up until his last breath, he was only ever concerned about me...
He held me in his arms and ran his fingers through my hair, an apologetic look on his face.
If I had a normal appearance... I’m sure life would have been much easier.
He was always telling me how sorry he was for making life so hard, even though it’s not his fault I look like this.

I imagined you were still living in decadence, acting as though nothing had ever happened.
No, you wouldn’t even care about the fate of one simple painter. Our lives meant nothing to you...
And so, I sought to bring misfortune upon you.
And that’s... why you tried to kill me.
In truth, I had wanted to take the master’s life, but your father spends so much time outside the mansion.
And so...
You’re right — if they lost me, it would put my family in a very difficult position.
That is the whole of my tale. you now know about my father — and how I feel about you.
Having... Having told you of the blackness in my heart, I cannot go on living like nothing has changed. Please give me punishment.
Why...

I... am not fit for your affection.
Not only because I am not aristocratic... but because every time I spoke with you, I did so holding this darkness in my heart.
Does that not unnerve you?!
In the end, it was my family’s actions that caused you so much suffering.
Would that your father were still alive, perhaps I could have done something.
I’m sorry.
And besides, you hesitated. you didn’t actually kill me. What am I even to punish you for?
As you said, you had countless opportunities, but you could not bring yourself to do it.
Tell me, why couldn’t you kill me?
Because... I...
If... If it’s because I’ve given you enough reason... to have even the slightest bit of interest in me...
Nothing was as I envisioned it.
What?
I assumed the residents of Rose Manor would be cold, people who believed that wealth and rank mattered above all.
But on the night of the storm, the mistress was the first one to extend her hand to me.
I arrived at the mansion disguised as a beggar — Actually, “disguised” is not the right word, as many nights I only survived on the generosity of others.
The mistress did not send me away when she saw me. Quite the opposite — she took me in as a servant.
So that was Mother’s doing.
I could scarcely believe she would invite a stranger into her home — that she would treat a stranger with such compassion. I thought perhaps she knew who my father was.
But I had never met any of you before, so she must simply be that kindhearted a woman.
And the mistress continued to treat me with kindness, despite my disquieting appearance and the darkness in my heart.
In time, I began to grow less and less sure of myself. Was what I meant to do truly right? Were the things I felt truly justified?
But it was a certain fact... that my father was here, and that he had been chased out.
So I decided I should take your life — to put an end to everything before I wavered any further.
And then...
...And then...
And then?

It’s all your fault... Because you laugh with such affection, because you give me smiles like that, because you say the things you say...
You...
I-I’m sorry...
No, no, don’t apologize.
Ahaha... I’m so happy to hear that. Despite, uh, the unusual circumstances...
Please, don’t say you want to leave. Don’t ask me to punish you. I couldn’t do anything for your father, but at least...
allow me to do something for the daughter he cared for so dearly.
You are far too kindhearted...
I’ll be happier with you around.
...You can become a real aristocrat.
Huh?
There are families that would be willing to adopt you. Especially knowing it would bring them ties to the Rhodes family in the near future.
Are you saying... um...
A-As long as you’re okay with that, of course!
I-I don’t understand... how you could possibly say that. I have my hand around your neck even as we speak.
It seems reasonable enough to me. I’m desperately looking for some way to not have to lose you.
B — I-I couldn’t... I don’t know any etiquette or social customs... How could I...
You can learn all of that. you’re pretty and naturally graceful; you’ll do just fine.
U-Um...
You are such an aristocrat, Lord Mell.
Wha —
Th-The way you can come up with compliments so easily...
O-Only for you. Nellie says my poetry has as much charm as a dissertation.
I don’t understand theatre... It puts me to sleep.
Hehe...
You laughed. Thank goodness.
Ah...

No matter how deep the darkness has taken root in your heart, it can always be removed. I believe... people are capable of forging their own futures.
I...
What do you say we go to the theatre some time? I promise I won’t sleep through it. At the private theatre, we can get seats at the far end of the second floor, so we don’t have to stand.
They would be pretty lavish seats... and it would give you a chance to experience the noble life.
But...
Please, don’t be shy. I can have clothes prepared for you. I’ll ask one of the maids who can keep a secret.
Say, the one with black hair. She kind of scares me, though, ahaha.
I... don’t know what I am supposed to say. How could you... show such compassion for me?
I tried to inflict harm upon you...
Am I allowed... to feel such joy?
For every day you suffered, a day of happiness. That’s how it has to be.
So stand by my side.

He softly whispered the girl’s name. For several long moments, her lips trembled in trepidation. But in time, she squeezed them together and made a smile. He wrapped his arms around her unbelievably slender, frail frame, holding her tight in an affectionate embrace.

He explained to me the course of events, and then asked me to dress her up more beautifully than any other noble girl had ever been. She was already a very pretty girl, so even without much effort on my part — simply putting her in a dress — she radiated beauty. I was quite partial to her smile, so I agreed to help, thinking that if it would lead to their happiness, I could not ask for anything more.

I never anticipated what would happen next, though. Perhaps my hopes were unreasonable after all.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 13, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I see no way this can end any way but happily, nope!

I guess confessing your love while being strangled works miracles.

What are the odds the fathers' painting is some kind of portrait of Dorian Gray deal?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was rough but I'm glad all the drama is over and there'll be a happy ending soon. :sun:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Tarantula

Now, now, Nellie. you love the theatre, so don’t look so cross.

Nellie was out with a man other than her brother that evening — a rare sight indeed. And she was quite clearly in a foul mood.

(I will not stand for this... That I should have to marry a man as disagreeable as Arthur! It’s unthinkable!)

The young man at her side was Nellie’s fiancé, selected by her parents. On any other occasion, she would have snubbed an invitation from any man who was not Mell, but she had little say in this matter. She was, for lack of a better word, forced to go out with him. And oh, how furiously she had fought against it. She had shoved aside the abigail trying to fasten her corset, locked herself in her room, and sobbed for quite some time. It required the combined efforts of several of us to get her ready and out the door for her date.

Come now, you should at least pretend You’re enjoying yourself. Or do you want people to think we don’t get along?
Do we get along?
Well... I want to, for what it’s worth.
What it’s “worth” to you is my name, not me.
Are you really going to be like that? I went out of my way to take you to your favorite play. The least you could do is be a little kinder to me.

A family like yours or mine could pay to have a brand new script written.
So why should we have to see an old play at a theatre full of commoners? It may be private, but even so... Haah... I would rather just have a show put on at my estate —
Stop talking already!
Why should I — Why should I have to marry someone like you?! I have ab-so-lutely no desire to marry you!
Whatever it takes, I will put a stop to this! I’ll talk to Father as many times as I must!
Please, don’t make such a scene. It’s shameful. There are people around; remember, you represent your family.
Besides, our families are hardly strangers to one another. Try as you might, I doubt you can get rid of me.
No matter what you say, you can’t break this engagement.
You don’t — !
Your parents gave you too much freedom, and look at what a spoiled little girl you became because of it. Goodness, you’re going to be quite the handful.
Oh, get off your high horse!
No, you’re the one on a high horse, Nellie. you are going to be my wife; you could at least put some effort into liking me.
...!
What happens when I take you to a social engagement and you act like this? It’s shameful to the both of us.
This coming from someone who used to call me “Lady Nellie”... What’s your problem?
When you choose to act like a lady, I’ll gladly call you that again. Goodness gracious.

How dare you talk about me that way!
You’re not a damned princess. Open your eyes.
If you think talking to your father will get you out of this marriage, you’re welcome to try. I doubt he’ll have it, though.
Otherwise, you can just go complain about it to your friends.
Oh, that’s right... As far as I’m aware, you don’t have any friends.
Enough!
As you wish.
(This is so frustrating... Why should I have to listen to this jerk mock me?!)
(I have Mell. I know — if Father won’t listen to me, I’ll ask Mell to talk to him!)
(Mell will be able to convince him!)
Come on now, your favorite play is about to start. Maybe you should face forward.
(Enjoy it while it lasts! you won’t be talking down to me much longer!)
...What?
...?
Is that — ?!
Wait, Nellie! Get back here!
What is that damned child’s problem?! I didn’t give her permission to leave! Father will be sure to hear about this...
I cannot have the Rhodes making any more of a fool of me!

You’re fine. Don’t be shy.

Ahaha, that’s because you’re gorgeous.
...No, it’s because I look strange.
I assure you, that’s not the case. It is true you have an unusual appearance...
but right now, the unique color of your hair, your skin, and your eyes all serve to accentuate your beauty.
Y-You sound like a prince, Lord Mell...
Wha — Y-You think so?
I mean... I did say I’d be a stand-in prince for you, but...
I think you’re a wonderful prince... not just a stand-in.
Which... makes you my princess, then.
I-I don’t...
Aww, you’re supposed to say, “Yes, I am,” there. you’re going to make me sad.
Ah... Um... I...
Hehehe. I guess I’ll just have to keep working at it until you submit.
Oh, hey, the play’s about to start.
Um... what am I supposed to be doing?
Nothing in particular. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
Oh, but there is one thing!
Yes?
If I start dozing off, could you maybe wake me up?
Hehehe.
Ahaha!
...Ah.
...?
Ne —
Wha —

...!
Nellie?!
Dearest Mell, why are you...
What are you doing here?!
I-I...
I asked her to join me. It’s nothing to get worked up over.
It is! It absolutely is! How many times did I ask you to come with me, and you wouldn’t?
You don’t even like theatre, dearest Mell, and you brought her?!
You’re right, I’m not especially fond of plays, but I wanted her to be able to see one.
Why are you making such a big deal out of this, Nellie?
She’s not suitable for you!
What?
She isn’t good enough for you! Why would you choose her?! She’s creepy and you have no idea where she came from!
Don’t talk about her like that, Nellie!
But... you don’t even know who her family is!
I do.
Wha —
Um, Lord Mell?
It’s fine. you just stay quiet.
Like the other maids, she comes from a respectable house. I looked into it. However, circumstances prevent me from telling you what house that is.
No... you’re lying. That can’t be...
She’s... But she’s... She doesn’t act like a lady, she lacks etiquette, and she probably can’t even dance!
You expect me to believe someone like her is from a good house?!

...M-Mell yelled at me...
...You have my word — you don’t have to worry about her. So please, stay out of this, Nellie.
It isn’t any of your business if I spend time with her, is it?
But... But dearest Mell...
You need to stop hanging all over me, Nellie, and find someone for — Wait.
What are you doing at the theatre? Are you here alone?
Ah!
Oh yes, dearest Mell, about that — I have a favor to ask of you! I’d been waiting to talk to you about this since yesterday, but I haven’t seen you at all!
Settle down, Nellie. What is it?
Father had me engaged without consulting me! And he picked Arthur, that disagreeable little —

Wha — ?!
I heard it from Father. That reminds me, you didn’t show up at breakfast this morning. I see now — it was because of your engagement.
Dearest Mell...
Is that who you’re here with today? In that case, you should get back to him, rather than waste any more time with us.
You knew I didn’t want to get married, Mell! So why?!
Why didn’t you talk Father out of it?!
Because... it’s your time, Nellie.
If there’s someone else you’d rather be with, then, well, you can try persuading Father, but...
You’re... you’re the only prince for me, dearest Mell! And a prince always grants his princess’s wishes.
Doesn’t he?!
I just want you to say you’ll do that for me, dearest Mell!
L-Lady Nellie...
You stay out of this! It’s all your fault! It’s all because you showed up and played your little tricks on him!
I warned you about this rat, dearest Mell! She is not suitable for —

...!
How much longer are you going to continue acting like a child?! I can deal with you being a spoiled little girl, but how dare you be so derisive to someone else!
M-Mell... hit me...
L-Lord Mell!
... Go on, the show’s about to start. People are giving us dirty looks.
Return to your betrothed, now. I will apologize to him afterwards as well.
You said you would always be by my side...
That you would always be my prince...
The time for make-believe is past, Nellie.
...! No, no! I refuse to believe it! I will not have it!
Nellie!
My goodness, that girl.

No, just let her go.
The only place she even has to go is home. I just wish she’d start acting a little more like an adult.
I imagine Lady Nellie simply...
Hmm? She what?
...No... it just wasn’t my intention to get between you.
Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault we had an argument.
But... you two are so close...
Well, yeah, we’re siblings. So we’re close, but nothing more.
(I do care about Nellie, and I enjoy spending time with her...)
(but she’s my sister. Nothing more.)
Anyway... Sorry for making such a scene.
No, I...
I imagine she left her betrothed behind without saying anything, so I’m going to go apologize to him. We have to keep up appearances.
Stay here; I’ll be right back.
Very well...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mell gains a backbone at literally - the worst time. Good job Mell. Nellie is now going to murder the still nameless girl (which I'm now thinking is an intentional decision by the writers, she does lack a noble name after all) and perhaps also Mell and herself.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Or just run to the river and throw herself in, or under a horse's hooves, or what have you. Or given her penchant for the dramatic and the story's accentuation on romeo and juliet, just buy some poison and slurp it down. The relationship between Mell and Nell was one of the flaggiest of the red flags, and it is important to set boundaries especially if one of your siblings is implied to have a thing for you, but... yeah, I'm with poor White-hair here- this is a Bad Thing and not really the good time at the theater she was promised. (Man, it's weird that the story is still skirting around her name, either because Mell still doesn't know it yet [weird] or because Ye Olde Eldritch Abegil is withholding it for "reasons.") Not to mention that the relationship Mell is having is going to get him in as deep poo poo as Nellie is in- refusing an arranged marriage is one thing, but fooling around with the help? That's a paddlin'.

Not to distract too much from the drama, but... what kind of playhouse are we talking about here? From the way Nellie's movements are being described and Arthur's moaning about commoners, you'd think that this is the sort of playhouse we'd be familiar with today- with the large balconies and the ceiling and the lobbies and the crowds to actually get lost in, but that wasn't the norm of the time- that kind of playhouse is still a couple of centuries off. If this were a playhouse by the Globe standards, all the gentry would be up top with the groundlings below and thus would not have to mingle, and it's hard to lose track of someone in that. Of course, if that were the case, that would make this drama even more embarrassing for the parties, because literally everyone could have seen it, so maybe it still works?

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

resurgam40 posted:

(Man, it's weird that the story is still skirting around her name, either because Mell still doesn't know it yet [weird] or because Ye Olde Eldritch Abegil is withholding it for "reasons.")

The update just before this one said that Mell whispered the white-haired girl's name, so it's most likely the latter.

Skylight fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 14, 2018

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Eh, I feel for Nellie here. Not that she should take it out on the nameless girl, or....date her brother, but no one should have to get married if they don't want to. Then she gets engaged out of the blue to someone she doesn't even like, and her brother who knew about it didn't bother to warn her at all. I can't blame her for making a scene.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I feel sorry for all four of these people. Nellie's biggest problem is that there's nobody she'd be any happier with than Arthur, because there's only one person she actually likes. Her intended does come off like an upperclass twit at best and quite possibly a real rear end in a top hat but if I had to get married to someone like Nellie I would probably not be at my best either.

Another problem she has is being 14 which seems like a bad age to be expected to be suddenly okay with things you hate. Having to dance or even socialize with boys (who aren't Mell) is unacceptable and now they're marrying her off? Absolutely nobody should be surprised by whatever she does about this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The only person in this scene coming off smelling like Roses is our nameless girl. Everyone's justifiably upset and angry, but end up taking absolutely the worst way to express it.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Mell gains a backbone at literally - the worst time. Good job Mell. Nellie is now going to murder the still nameless girl (which I'm now thinking is an intentional decision by the writers, she does lack a noble name after all) and perhaps also Mell and herself.

True. This can't end good. But on a positive note it stops the creepy "Oni-chan :sparkles:" worship for good and all.

It is interesting, that i always think of Japanese media and stories for displaying creepy sibling relationships, especially affection for older siblings involved. There must be some good (bad) western archetypes, too?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Can't go wrong with the Borgias.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Can't go wrong with the Borgias.

not emptyquoting

Borgia: Faith and Fear is a fantastic and modestly-budgeted show on them, incidentally

edit: the article that introduced me to it: https://www.exurbe.com/?p=2176

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was going to say, Nellie's a Rhodes not a Lannister.

But, um, this does not end well.

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
Hey, Mell finally grew a spine! Good on...

...oh.

Oh, no. :suspense:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Oh my. I apologize for the abrupt question. Did I startle you?

What do I think? Hmm, yes, I believe Mell was probably right. He was also surely happier than her.

As Mell had anticipated, Nellie fled from the theatre, leaving her fiancé behind. She forced her way into a carriage stopped outside — probably one called for a different nobleman — and ordered it to take her home. Mell’s assumption was correct: the only place she had to return to was the mansion. The sun was beginning to set, and as a young lady, she could not simply go wandering through town alone... nor did she have any acquaintances to take her in. Her world was, in essence, composed of two elements: her brother and the rose garden. They were the light of her life at Rose Manor. She lived a very... isolated existence.

N-Nnh... nnnnh...

BGM: Odonata (Unrest)

When she escaped back home, Nellie went straight to her room, locked the door, and began sobbing. The waves of her sorrow came crashing effortlessly over the levees. Tears streamed through the cracked walls of the dams blocking her tear ducts.

Mnh, w-waaaah... Why... whyyyy?!
Why won’t you help me, Mell...? Why won’t you take my side...?

The decor in her room appeared blurry through her damp eyes. Memories of the day she had it redecorated played back in her mind with crystal clarity.

She told me... she had no feelings for you!
That liar! That liar!

She let her emotions run wild, breaking glass craftworks, silver plates designed by famous foreign artisans, flower vases, all sorts of things. It was as though a beast had been set loose in her bedchamber.

— !

The vase she tossed shattered against a painting hanging on the wall, spraying water, porcelain, and roses in every direction. It was the portrait she adored so dearly — of her and her brother.

Ah...

And in what appeared to her like a metaphor for her life, the frame fell off its mounting and came crashing to the floor. Nellie darted over and scooped it up. The frame had broken, but the painting inside was unharmed.

...My prince is no more.

Though in her present state of mind, that image of happiness brought her nothing but misery. And the worse she felt, the more frustrated she grew at the smiling girl and kind boy of her past.

The princess is no more either... you’re not a princess anymore, Nellie...
Some other woman... has taken your place.
I trusted You, Mell... I believed you would always be there for me!
...This painting! Is nothing! But a lie!
That’s not the real Mell! That’s not the real me!
It’s all a big fat lie!
A lie...
Mnh... ngh... nnh... waaaah...
I wish this painting... never existed... That it was never made...
That I never had a brother!
This painting! This painting — !
Haah... haah...

In a fit of emotional distress, she scratched feverishly at the painting she once considered precious. She put more force into her fingers than she, or perhaps anyone, might have imagined she could. Flakes of paint began falling off the canvas, and in time, she noticed something peculiar.

Huh?
What...? Is this... writing?
Something’s hidden beneath the paint?
Just a little more...
A date? Why would that be hidden?
What could it be for?
...Com...ple...ted...

BGM: Muscomorpha

She read aloud the faded, scratched-up handwriting. After staring blankly at the text for some time, the color in her face began to drain.

What is this — How —
How could this have been painted sixteen years ago?!
I... I wasn’t even born yet then, and Mell would have been just a baby! Is this not me...? Is this not Mell...?
...There’s still more writing!

Urged on by her rapidly pounding heart, Nellie furiously scratched away at the painting. Even as her clean, pink fingernails were soiled with fragments of paint and blood, she did not stop.

...!

She was so overwhelmed by trepidation that she could not stop. She had a horrible premonition that something was about to happen — something indescribable, incomprehensible.

...“Your son and our unborn daughter”...
So this was a painting... of the future.
(Then it really is of me and Mell...)
No. Use your head, stupid.
I’m only fourteen... Sixteen years ago, I would not have even been inside Mother!
But then... But then who is this?!
Who is that holding Mell’s hand?!
Who is that with my brother?!
More... More, there has to be —
O-Ow!
Found it! There’s more writing...
I have to know... what this is!
(Calm down. Calm down, Nellie.)
(It’s nothing to get worked up over. I’m sure it’s nothing.)
(Calm down and read. There’s nothing to worry about.)
If... If our unborn... child —

This is what the writing on the painting said:

then you will probably not be able to take her in as your own.
I will be punished, and my life made miserable.
And so I pray that this child might have flaxen hair.
Though is it a sin to wish she has in her a trace of me?
I do hope it is a girl.

What... am I reading...?
I don’t get it! Someone, tell me! What does this mean?!
...!
(A painting from sixteen years ago.)
(Hair color. Sin.)
(“I do hope it is a girl”...?)

It’s Nellie. Let me in.
Lady Nellie?
Oh, you changed out of your dress. That’s a shame; it looked nice on you.
Hehehe... It really did look so nice. Almost like you were a princess.
Um... Lady Nellie?
Saaaay, I’ve got a question for you... Do you mind?
By... all means.
What color hair did your father have?
I beg your pardon?
Did you not hear me? Should I repeat the question?
N-No... I assumed it would be about Lord Mell...
I am just so curious about where you got that white color from.
...I-I... My... My father was more... tan than white...
So I didn’t inherit my paleness from anyone...
I asked about your father’s hair color.
Wh-Why would you want to —
There’s no reason you can’t tell me, is there?
My father... um, had white hair. But that was simply because he was an older man; I do not think he was born with —
Hah... haha...
L-Lady Nellie?

...?!
Hey, guess what, I’ve figured it out! I’ve figured it all out!
Hehe, hahaha... And it was so simple. There’s only one difference between you and me. The thing that Mell fell for is —
Wh-Why do you have those — ?!
N-No, stay back!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So is Nellie adopted, and is the girl in white is Mell's real sister?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
...So there we are. It wasn't just a painting that got white hair and her dad in trouble, it was a painting of the future... and it looks like the painter had had relations with the lady of the house. Of course there's more to the story; you just don't hand out an identifying trait like albinism out like candy. But what does this mean, exactly? That the white haired girl is related to Mell and Nell, assuming she is actually the daughter of the artist? Or merely that Nellie is related to her?

Either way, oh god put down the scissors(?), Nell :gonk:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So is Nellie adopted, and is the girl in white is Mell's real sister?

There may be a connection between white hair girl's father falling in disgrace and the mention of another sister on the painting. I guess they both are Mell's sisters with the same mother...

Fixed. Thanks for clarification, ProfessorProf.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
If that's speculation, it doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. If it's spoilers, don't post it.