Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Oh snap, he has a fine sword with him the maid thought was stolen, right? And bodies wash up on the nearby beaches? And Bestia took the name from what someone said when he was eating sand? He washed up half-dead after being wounded in a battle... maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope Bestia is an only child. :ohdear:

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
He eats sand... he's a sand-pire.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Huaina

As Bestia began to act more like a person, the mansion followed suit, slowly becoming more habitable — though not yet back to its former glory. No flowers grew in the garden, but neither were there weeds infesting it. The dusty corridors, shattered windows, rust-covered kitchen gradually returned to their proper states. Bestia learned how to change his own clothes, and how to draw a bath. No longer did I have to wait on him hand and foot; he could take care of a number of things all by himself.

What we lacked for food, he acquired from the forest. Never did he go to purchase supplies from the village; rather, he captured hares and gathered herbs hidden in the overgrowth. They were days without incident. And though such a life may be want for excitement, peace is something that you mustn’t take for granted. Those who have it cast it aside, finding the leisurely flow of time dull. Only those who have never experienced it truly know how precious it is.

Bestia appeared to be content. He wore an expression of solitary serenity.

And then one day, a crack formed in the uneventful tranquility.

Is anyone... in there? Could you part with some food? I don’t need much...
Some food and water... Just a little... that’s all I need.

Bestia looked over at me, as if seeking my aid. Ironic, no? It was the visitor who was truly in need of aid.

I pondered it for a few moments, deciding that I could not simply turn away someone calling upon the mansion. Had Bestia ordered me to not let him in, I would have followed his instructions, but he said nothing.

...You said you were in need of sustenance?
Y-Yes... It doesn’t have to be much. Anything to quench this thirst...
I got lost, and it’s been several days...
Give me a few minutes, I will find —

A firm, deep voice came from behind me. I was quite startled. When had the beast learned to act so much like a human? When had he learned to speak so clearly, and to behave so much like a master?

Ah...

Upon seeing Bestia, a look of terror appeared to cross the wanderer’s face for a moment. To my eyes, Bestia was the very image of a head of house, but to an outsider, he probably appeared to be nothing more than a beast in man’s clothing.

Prepare him a meal and a bed. I suspect he is quite tired.
Th-Thank you... very much.

But in time, the fear drained from the man’s face. Bestia sat precariously on the border between man and beast. Though he still had his doubts, the wanderer revised his first impression, deciding Bestia was human. As the wolf had fooled the little girl in the forest, he too had succeeded in playing the role of a man.

And a meal like this on top of that? You really didn’t have to.
Though I guess that’s not an appropriate thing to say as I’m eating, haha...
What kind of meat is this?
Hare.
It’s damned tender for rabbit. And here I thought it was beef. You have quite the skilled chef.
Hehehe...
Oh, is she the one who cooked this? Is she your wife?
Oh no, I am merely a servant.
A female servant, huh? Don’t see that very often. This mansion’s just full of surprises. I can hardly believe it.
Lost for days, and as soon as I think I’m dead, there it is. Thinking back on it now, it’s miraculous.
But why are you two living alone in a house on a cliff?
We...
Oh, I beg your pardon. Asking so many questions without telling you about myself. My apologies. Just a little too excited to finally see other people.
I’m a merchant; I do international trade. Until a few years back, spice exports pretty much all came from one place.
But now that we’ve established trade routes of our own, my country’s fighting tooth and nail to push its exports.
And in fact, some have lost a few teeth in the fight already.
But that’s just how it works. It’s a cutthroat world — you do what you must to survive.

Confidence in himself and his homeland radiated from that man.

I came to this land to do business. But, much to my chagrin, I somehow ended up lost in the forest.
Had I wandered around for much longer, I’d have lost the chance to ever see my beloved again.
Your beloved?
Yessir. I’m constantly out on business, so we only get to see each other a few times a year. But she always waits for my return.
I’d like to introduce you to her if I ever get the chance. She’s a pretty girl, if not especially striking.
...Is that so?

The Merchant was a man of many words, and I, for one, do not mind a lively supper table. Though I know not how Bestia felt, at the very least, I was glad we had invited the wanderer into the mansion. He was, after all, holding a proper conversation with someone, and he seemed to be having success concealing his piercing, beast-like gaze.

However...

Oh, right, I stopped by the village before entering the forest, and I heard a bone-chilling tale there.

As soon as the Merchant brought up the subject, a palpable tension spread through the room.

It’s a creature unlike anything anyone’s seen before. Not a wolf or a bear or anything like that.
It even attacked the village once, killing several people. Thankfully, the men managed to drive it out...
but the creature is still alive. There’s nothing in this world scarier than a vicious beast.
So you should keep an eye out. Wouldn’t want to accidentally let a murderous beast into your home.
At the villagers’ insistence, I had the smithy forge me a knife.
Is that knife —
Huh?
— with you now?
Well, yeah, I’ve got it on me. Only good to defend myself with, but it’s better than —
That knife... You brought that knife...

BGM: Fugitive Dust

Video: Beast

(Even if you've been skipping the videos, it's worth checking this one just to hear the noise that the beast makes when it talks. It's a short one.)

Wha — ?!
You’re going! To stab me! Again and again! With that knife! Like they did last time!
That’s why you’re here, isn’t it?!
Wha — What are you talking about?! What’s gotten into you?!
Stab and stab and stab!
C-Calm down! What are you so worried about?! I’m not going to hurt you with this...

Wh-What... did you just say?!
××××××××××××××××××××××××
Eek!

I like to imagine that before the wolf ate the poor little girl, he said,

“Is this what I always looked like?”

TH×××××AT××BE××××××AST××
What’s your problem?! What’s wrong?! T-Talk like a human!
××××××I×××S×××M×××××××E××××
Sto — Stop! Stay back! G-Get any closer and I’ll stab you to death!
You act××like×you only×××just realized I’m a beast...
Eek!
THAA××AAT’S RIIII××××IIIIGHT! I’M××A BEAST!
IIII××××KILLED THEM...
Stay back!
AND I’LL××LL DOOOO×THE SAAA×AME TO YOUUUU!
Aaaaaaaah! H-Heeeeeeeeeeeelp!

In his hand, Bestia held his sword. Perhaps it had been hidden under the table — or maybe behind his chair? Regardless, it was as though he had expected this to happen. The Merchant kicked aside a chair, attempting to flee, but Bestia closed the distance in an instant, knocking him back. He lost his balance and slammed against the wall, but still he made to escape, though the beast stood blocking his path.

N-Noooo... Please, stop this! Don’t kill me! My beloved is waiting for me back home!
I can’t l-leave her behind!

A dreadful scream echoed through the dining room. I reflexively covered my ears.

P-Please help! A-Aaaah, someone, anyone!
Noooo one’s going to come for you! This maaaansion’s a loooong way from town!
A-Aah, ahh... help... Th-That woman! Where did she —
Why isn’t she here?! She was just —

YOU’LL KILL ME! ×IF I DO×N’T KILL YOU! AND SO, I MU××ST SH×OW YOU THAT I WILL!
I MUST SHOW YOU THAT I’M SERIOUS! I MUST KILL YOU, OR YOU WON’T UNDERSTAND!
YOU JUST WON’T UNDERSTAAAAND!
IF I DON’T SHOW YOU FIRSTHAND, YOU WON’T UNDERSTAAAAND!
I’LL MAKE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND××I’LL MAKE YOUR FLESH AND BONES UNDERSTAAAAND×××KILL××I’LL KILL YOU, I’LL KILLLL YOUUUU!

KIIIILLLL YOOOOUUUU!
A-Ahh, agh... aa...
M — Mon...st...er...
THAAAAT’S RIIIIGHT... I AM...

They had been enjoying a peaceful meal around the table together just minutes earlier. So what had triggered this?

If I were to guess, the Merchant saying the word “knife” is what caused the beast to snap. A simple, small thing set him off. I could not comprehend it. Bestia, who had said he wished for peace, was staring down at the ravaged corpse of the Merchant... with a look of ecstasy on his face.

Master... can you understand how he felt? Even just a little? Did he not yearn for peace, but for slaughter?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Starting to get good

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I wasn't expecting this to go south so soon and in his particular manner

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was legitimately expecting the merchant to try to pull something, but hey, I guess don't trust Crazy Beast Man.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Wow, yeah... although it looks like a severe case of PTSD or something. It's just horrible for everyone involved.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, it looks like anything that reminds him of violence (against him? In general?) sets Bestia off.

I didn’t expect Bestia to initiate the attack but I had a feeling that it was going to go south as soon as another person got involved.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

PetraCore posted:

It's just horrible for everyone involved.

The only certainty of this game so far, it seems.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fear is powerful. You're afraid; anticipating the horrible thing you're sure will happen. Isn't it better to decide the hour of the awful event for yourself? Knowing conflict and pain are inevitable, shouldn't you make the first move? Even if it hurts, it's better than waiting. Even if you hurt someone else, it's better than being hurt.

He was asking for it, after all. ...Doesn't it feel good to win?

That's how I imagine this flavor of rationalization goes down, more or less. Bestia kept it together longer than I expected.

And the Maid vanished, huh?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
More like Worstia

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Skia Oura

And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for — snacktime!
There’s nothing better than a having a ham sandwich in the park!
Oh dear. Maybe I should lower my voice when I’m talking to myself.
But it’s so nice out, I just can’t help myself.
(Does the weather have anything to do with talking to oneself?)
Not important! Food, food.
(If he were here... it would taste even better.)
(I wonder when I’ll get to see him next...)

Mngh. O-Oh dear! What’s got you so frazzled, Mom?
Ahh... Ohh, Pauline...
...?
Wh-What is it? Did something happen? What’s the matter, Mom?
...N-Nnnnhhh...
M-Mom...
Pauline...
This isn’t like you, Mom. It’s not like you at all. Tell me, what happened?
I told you... to stay away... from men who trade...
Huh?
Oh, Pauline! My dear daughter! Why must God be so cruel to such a sweet girl?
...Y-You’re hurting me, Mom! Don’t squeeze so tight. What’s gotten into you?!
Listen carefully, Pauline. You must be calm and hear me out, understood?
Your lover — the beloved man you wait for —
— is dead...

BGM: Vulpe

He had returned to the thing I had found in the cellar. Actually, he prowled the mansion’s halls looking more barbaric than ever.

×××××××××××××××××

Despite all the effort he had put into learning to act like a human, he now ripped the velvet curtains off the wall, howling shrilly... stomping back and forth through the hallways, and ravaging the garden. I watched him intently, though from a distance. Bestia was not merely a beast, but an out-of-control, bloodthirsty beast.

Just a few days ago, we had been tending the garden together, but that was no longer possible. I was quite disappointed.

×××××××××××××××××××××××

Eventually, Bestia discovered my hiding place. I had not felt regret in a very long time, but I felt deep regret in that moment.

Don’t have enough, not enough, I need more, I need moooooooore!
I must satisfy these urges!
Are you saying peace was not enough to sate you?
Did I mishear you when you asked for peace?
I was mistaken... Asking for peace won’t solve anything!
Blood! Despair! Eyes filled with terror! These are the things I need!
And I’ve always known it!
You said this mansion fulfills people’s desires! Then... Then...

Why did I ever teach him to speak human language?

Once a week, a villager or a traveling merchant from somewhere would wander into the forest, ending up at the mansion on the cliff. Though something felt suspicious about the man who greeted them at the door, on the surface, he looked like a proper nobleman... so they all eventually chose to trust Bestia. The mansion had an air of loneliness about it, but it was adequate to provide rest for their weary feet. There was food and a bed, and most comforting of all, there were other people. The lord of the house treated the lost souls like esteemed guests. He poured them fine wine and had me cook for them. No one suspected in the slightest that he was a beast. He put on a reasonably convincing act. Because, yes, I had taught him how to behave like a master. The visitors all went to bed contented.

But, as I am sure you can imagine, Master, they would never see the light of day again — the penetratingly bright sunlight particular to this area.

You disgusting creature!
You hideous monster!
Kill him!
If that’s... how you humans want to do things...
then I’ll play your little game. I’ll play it... even better than you.
I’ll kill you.
I’LL SLAAAAUGHTER YOUUUU!

That’s it! Cry for me! Beg for your life!
Pray for my mercy!
Weep! And struggle! And suffer! And die!
(No one understands! No one can possibly understand my despair!)

(Was it just because I’m a beast?)
(When did I become a beast?)
(Why do beasts have to die?)
(Beasts are savage... and so they must die. I’m a beast... therefore I’m savage.)
(In which case...)
(I’ll kill them...)
(I’ll show them what makes a beast so terrifying!)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Moonlight crept through the torn velvet curtains, shining down upon the bloodsoaked beast. It was a sight that would incite terror in anyone.

Look at this. No one can stand up to me.
Humans have no chance against beeeeasts!
Hee, heehee, heeeeheeheehee, haahahhahhahahahaha AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAheeheeheeheeheeHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!
Moooooooooooore... I neeeed moooooooore!
Giiiiiiiiiiiive me mooOORE PREEEEEEEEY!

The mansion continued to sate the beast’s demented craving, sending not one, but multiple villagers into his claws. Into these bloodstained walls, off which echoed his monstrous howls.

Sorrrrrrrry... I’m not familiar with your god...
Beasts have no neeeeeeeed of gods!
I have a wife and son back at the village! Please, let me return to them!
Why don’t you bring them back to me — I’ll send them to the same place you’re going!

Aaaaaaaare you noooooooow? In that case, I’ll kill the baby first!
You damned monster!

And by killing... no one can defy me!
I have to show the world that I — that beasts are the most frightening things on this earth!

The beast began to change his style, making sick banquets out of his kills. Some days, he would tie his guests up in the cellar, playing with them for hours until they finally died. Some days, he would drain them of their blood and bathe in it. Some days, he would spread them out on the table and feast upon them. Every week, another atrocious party. He did everything imaginable. As a faithful servant of this house, I am confident I can do most anything I am asked. Though you can surely imagine my surprise at having to use the cooking skills I learned while serving the flaxen-haired family to do that. I can only wonder if it actually tasted any good. Bestia’s peculiar sword was always with him for his twisted banquets of self-gratification. However much blood stained it, it never lost its sheen. It was as though the sword drank of the flesh of humans.

Master, can you imagine just how wretched I felt? The mansion, once a beautiful sight to behold, reeked of death and acrimony. The stench of rotting flesh seeped up from the cellar. Even the years it spent forsaken and in ruins were preferable to that. Or perhaps I only had myself to blame. It was I who had invited the beast into the mansion.

But Bestia still sought to hold more of his perverse parties. Lost villagers were no longer enough to quell his urges. He was, indeed, a genuine beast. And in time, this is what he began to wish for:

Can’t you get me any better prey?! Something truly exquisite! The perfect prey to quench this maddening thirst of mine!

Do you know what he meant when he asked for the “perfect” prey, Master? Perhaps a hero, someone courageous enough to stand up to him, with whom he could enjoy a battle to the death. Perhaps a dazzling young nymph to satisfy his other primal urges. Or perhaps what he wanted was not human at all, but a demon or a phantom.

I would soon find out, as the mansion attempted to grant his wish, bringing yet another guest to the house on the cliff.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh god, no. No, I just can't do this anymore. I can do sick, and filthy; I can handle these in small amounts... but this sick filth is just too much to handle. I could handle your... proclivities for a whole thread, Prof- two whole threads, and that whilst dealing with you and a lot of other people sniggering at me and getting my goat- but enough is enough. You. Crossed. A line.

I mean-

A boob window? At the beginning of the 18th century? Those weren't in fashion anywhere at that time, least of all anywhere in Europe or England, with the dreary rear end weather there. People would have laughed at the idea- if you're that hot, why not take the top off entirely without such complicated rubbish, and you certainly wouldn't do it where anyone can see you lest you be accused of prostitution or witchcraft. And wait a minute- walking through a park? Parks weren't a thing yet either, as attempts to preserve nature aren't going to enter the public consciousness until nature erosion gets noticed, and mostly not even then; the only people who care abut land now are land owners, and only then as far as keeping other people off it. Both of these are enough to put this in some weird fantasy land that is clearly not influenced by any real world location; about the only things diegetic to the time in this scene is your beloved going away and dying horribly (how did Mom find out, anyway? It's not like Merchant guy could have sent a message) and eating ham... and the ham part, while possible (people have been curing meat for ages), does limit the geography to very specific locations, namely to Italy or Spain, as those are I believe the only places in this general region with the climate to keep ham so it won't freeze or spoil too quick.

Oh, yeah, and a character has started eating people and bathing in their blood, whatever. Sorry, but after meeting genuine crazies like Kinzo, Erika, and Beatrice and languishing in the terrible poo poo they've done for over a year, Bestia comes off as kinda tame (ho ho). And a lot of it comes down to getting him a lot quicker- what Bestia is doing is gross and uncomfortable to be sure, but it's understandable from what he's gone through. He's been so hurt by other people so often that he can't really do anything but hurt back; "peace and quiet" would be a nice thing for him to imagine, but his encounter with the Merchant and the knowledge that he brought a knife with him put an end to that dream. As long as there are people, I have enemies who will hurt me, is his thought process, and in the absence of pursuing his dream of just chilling with the Maid, he focuses on the other thing- getting rid of all his enemies, i.e. everyone else. Si vis pacem, para bellum, taken to its most extreme conclusion- really, if you're going to say something like "if you want peace, prepare for war" in the first place, you've already taken a step or two towards Bestia here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, there's something interesting in, um...

So, no matter how cruel or depraved he gets, he can't ever be satisfied. And I think a reason for that is because despite all his protestations, he's still human... or at least, a person. People are capable of great cruelty and depravity, especially when motivated by fear, but I don't think I've heard of anyone really being satisfied with that. It's part of why serial killers tend to escalate. And studies show that torturers end up with severe PTSD similar to that of torture survivors, because they're damaging themselves in the act of damaging others.

My point is that violence and murder can only temporarily soothe Bestia because it's not actually what Bestia wants, what Bestia wants is to be safe and to feel he's safe on all levels, but since the mansion can provide the first but not the second...

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

resurgam40 posted:

and a lot of other people sniggering at me and getting my goat

:catstare:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How much do you want to bet that Pauline there will be the one to break the cycle because, despite Beastia's best attempts at torturing her, she will still be kind to him and pity him?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

How much do you want to bet that Pauline there will be the one to break the cycle because, despite Beastia's best attempts at torturing her, she will still be kind to him and pity him?

Yes the "Beauty and the Beast" reference is pretty obvious. Now in your favourite anime visual novel flavour.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sindai posted:

I hope Bestia is an only child. :ohdear:

incestia

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Crowd and River

(The strange link is because my only source for this song in particular has a pretty spoilery image on it. Thank you for your patience.)

(If God guides us — )

— then perhaps I could accept that this was fate.

( — then it makes sense that I am here.)

Is anyone... Is anyone there?
I’ve lost my way. Would you please be so kind as to spare me a little food?
(Ahh, there. There it is. There comes the poor little offering.)
(They never learn. They just keep coming, again and again. The mansion keeps granting my wish.)
I would be glad to provide you some food.
And you are welcome to stay the night, get some rest.
I will have a room prepared.

I have been wandering for a very, very long time.

What was that, Master? You recognize her? I imagine you would. That white hair, those red eyes, skin the color of freshly fallen snow. And that flawlessly beautiful visage... you could not possibly mistake her for anyone else. And no, it is not someone who happens to resemble her. I can understand why you would be surprised, Master. At first, I could hardly believe my own eyes. The wanderer knocking on the door that day was the very same fair-skinned young woman who visited the mansion so many years earlier.

The White-Haired Girl must have spent many, many a night in the forest. Her crystalline skin was covered in red scratches from where she had brushed against stray branches and tree bark. She had even lost her shoes, and was standing there barefooted, looking quite disheartened. But that did not make her any less beautiful. In fact, you could just imagine the dense forest canopy parting to allow the sun to shine down upon her.

The beast appeared surprised by her angelic beauty as well. It seemed as though all the madness drained from him in that moment.

He said nothing, but his eyes told all. He was entranced by the sight of her ruby-red irises and her pure-white hair.

×××××××××××××××××
...Pardon?
(I-I am a beast.)
(This is what I asked for.)
(Something to quench my thirst.)
(You’re allowed to be happy.)

But as I said, it was only for a moment.

(So rejoice!)
(Imagine just how gratifying it will be to see such a beautiful woman writhing in the throes of death!)
Follow me. I will have a bath drawn as well.

And once the moment had passed, the beast was barely able to contain the wellspring of madness within himself. He wanted nothing more than to run his sword through the White-Haired Girl that very instant. To torture her, to defile her.

He tended to her wounds, served her supper, and drew a bath for her. And afterwards, the beast even made to provide her with a dress to wear. Even the outfit she had only worn for one night so many years before was there, waiting for someone to put it on again. For her to put it on again. He said she could choose anything she liked. She, being such a modest young woman, said she needed not of such fine attire. And what a shame that was. I too wished to see her in a dress once more.

You needn’t be modest.
No... No, that’s not why.
Are they not to your liking, then?
No... I just...
My apologies.
You are very generous.
(Foolish girl. Smiling and calling me “generous.”)
(I was simply imagining what a pretty sight it would be.)
(The sight of her fresh blood splattered on it.)
(The sight of her life slipping away in it.)
I am glad that, after wandering for so long, I ended up here in this mansion.
(And in a few hours, you’ll be feeling the exact opposite.)
Get all the rest you need. I shall see you again in the morning.
I thank you.

Bestia then made his way out of the girl’s bedchamber. His mask came crumbling off after only taking a few steps.

There! That’s precisely what I wanted!
Aaaahh! Just imagining how such a beautiful woman will scream...
How she’ll beg for her life!
Hey... Hey! Are you there?! The mansion has given me the perfect offering!
Hey... Hey!
Is she not here?

Yes. I came by to ask if there was anything you needed.

I cannot offer you anything extravagant, not like before, but I am here to provide you with anything in my capacity.
I appreciate the offer, but I need nothing. Being allowed to stay the night is more than enough.
Do you work here in the mansion?
Yes, indeed I do. I have been here for a very, very long time.
... A very long time...?
Um...
you might think this an odd question, but...
have we met before? Something about you seems familiar.
And I... get the feeling I have been in this mansion before.
Yes, we have met. It was quite some time ago, though.
When... was it? I, um...
It was... an unimaginably long time ago.
Do you remember a boy and girl with flaxen hair?
Flaxen hair...
I apologize. My memory fails me...
Do you not remember me either?
I see. You should probably not push yourself to remember, then. There were joyous times, and there were less-than-joyous times.
But would you be so kind as to answer one question? What might your name be?
My name...

I see... So you are ×××××× again.
...Again?
...You should get some rest. I will make tea for you in the morning. Also...
...Go on, close your eyes.

With his sword that smelled of blood hanging from his hip, the beast slowly, ever so slowly crept toward the room where the White-Haired Girl slept. The time was soon approaching for the bloodthirsty beast to paint the walls with the young woman’s blood. To turn her bedchamber into a gore-splattered altar upon which he would offer her to the Devil.

...!

However, when he opened the door, the beast could hardly believe his eyes.

She was not asleep, but sitting there as if expecting Bestia’s arrival.

Why are you awake? Did you not go to sleep?!
I heard footsteps, so I...
And what were you planning to do when I got here?
Surely you didn’t think we’d simply have a nice midnight chat.
I was hoping to ask what it was that you wanted.
To ask... what it was... I waaaaaaaanted?
Do you even realize what you’re saying? Can you not see what’s in my hand?!
You know exaaaaaaaactly... what I came here to doooooooo.
Aren’t you going to beg? Aren’t you going to plead for your life?
Aren’t you going to ask me not to kill youuuu?!
If it’s necessary... But is that what you want?
What I want is something much, much more gratifying than your pleas — I want to hold a banquet!
It’s not enough... No matter what I do, it’s not enough...
But you — you will be enough to satisfy me! To quench this unholy thirst! To completely! Wholly! Fill me to the bursting point!
You want to know what I desire?
I desire! To devour youuuuuuuu!
...Ah!

He then stabbed his sword through the sheets beside her, looking down upon the girl, the moonlight at his back. Clenching her slender throat with one hand, he drew his sword once more, holding the tip but inches from her nose. No matter how much blood it drank, the sword continued to shine gloriously, as though it had just come from the forge. It was an awe-inspiring, tear-shedding blade, the sight of which would cause anyone to imagine the misfortune about to befall them.

Go on, mock meeee! Ridicule the hideous, barbaric beast standing before you!
From the moment you saw me, you thought me unsettling, no?!
But you averted your eyes!
Because I had food for you!
Because I gave you a place to rest!
You pretended not to notice the beast!
This is retribution! Retribution for you damned humans!
So beg for your life like they all do! Cry! Plead for mercy!
If you say...

...What...?

What came from the girl’s mouth was neither a plea, nor an insult, nor a scream. Full-grown men had wept before him, and yet this slight young woman did not. Despite this terrifying beast being upon her, moments away from extinguishing her life. Even I almost shrieked in fright. Bestia could believe neither his eyes nor his ears.

D-Do you not fear me?!
Can you not see what I’m about to do to you?!
What am I to be afraid of?
I’m threatening to murder you!
To rip your intestines out with these claws and watch you die in agony!
I enjoy it more than anything in the world! Filling others’ hearts with fear!
The more lives I take, the more I enjoy it!
I’m a beast, driven by madness!

What he expected was for the beautiful girl before him to desperately implore him for mercy. He wanted nothing more than to see despair seep into every corner of her red eyes... for he believed that it would be a truly sublime moment, euphoria unlike anything he had experienced before.

Bestia prodded her with his singular sword, poking a slit in skin smoother than silk.

You mean to take mercy on me, because you see me as pitiful.

But she did not do as the beast wished. She looked up at him with sympathy rather than fear. This rattled the beast. He had never once seen anyone respond to him that way.

Wh-What possessed you to say that?! What on earth is going through your head?!
Mercy? Mercy? Do you not comprehend this situation?!
How can you be so calm?!
Scream! Cry and shout! Beg for me to spare you! Throw yourself at my feet!
Throooow yourself at my feeeeeeeet! Otherwise, I’ll... I...
I’m a beeeeast!
A beast! That never tires of killing!

BGM: Mogera

...Y —
...You’re lying...
You listen to the things I say, and you respond with your own words.
I-I was taught... how to speak...
I-I-I — I’m a beast who speaks human language!
But you think.
You use your mind to come up with responses.
And you hesitate.
If I... If I, if I, if I, if I’m human! Then why do they disparage me so?!
Wh — Why do they... reject me... and try...
to kill me?!
Because I’m a beast!
A REPULSIVE BEAST!
THAT’S WHY, ISN’T IT?!

We are alike.
A-Alike? D-Don’t be ridiculous!
How can you say we’re alike when you’re as beautiful as you are?!
There is nothing beautiful about me.
What value does outward appearance have?
Y-You...
You have suffered much persecution...
which is why you tremble in fear.
I am not trembling! I am not afraid!
I can hear... the cries of your heart.
Wh-What on earth is wrong with you?
Why... are you not afraid? Why do you not scream in terror?
I am afraid, but more than fear...
I feel like I know now what my role is.
Y-Your... role...?
If you will have me, then I... would like to remain here in the mansion.
Are you mad?! I will eventually kill you!
Torture you. Put you through hell. Make you wish you were never born.
That does not change my mind. Please, allow me to stay.
I find it very hard to believe... that what you want deep down is to hurt people.
And I get the feeling... that I am meant to be here.
That it is my role.
...Y...

Bestia was at a loss. He was, perhaps, afraid of this girl who did not fear him — and even attempted to embrace him. She behaved too differently from all the other humans he knew of, who only ever harassed and pushed him away.

To this beast... this murderer...

Bestia’s sword slipped from his hand, hitting the hard floor with a metallic whine. When the sound died down, the White-Haired Girl extended her hands for the beast with the utmost of affability. Her fingers were white as freshly fallen snow, something this area never saw. They traced his distinctive frame; they ran along his unusually shaped nose; they slid across his rough, yellowed skin; they drifted around his rather small eyes.

The beast trembled once more, this time not out of twisted desire from deep within... but from the unimaginable comfort of physical contact. Her fingers moved so gently, so pleasantly, wrapping him in their warmth.

Are you... crying?

A single teardrop slid down the arc of her finger. Looking into her clear eyes, Bestia came to a realization. And at the same time, he felt somewhat dismayed.

Taken in the throes of his primal urges, the beast had not noticed, but there was an emptiness in the girl’s eyes. She appeared to be gazing far into the distance, not focused on the man despite being close enough to touch him.

Tears had begun running down Bestia’s cheeks earlier — when she had called him a person. But it was not until one of those droplets had slid across the back of her finger that she had realized. She would, indeed, have no need of extravagant dresses — after all, she could not see what she was wearing.

That is correct; I am blind... But who ever decided that reality is only that which can be seen?
I know not what appearance I have.
In the darkness, everything is as one; there is no difference between beast and man. If you are a beast, then I too must be a beast.

To call the girl a beast would be paramount to eating sugar and insisting it was salt. Do pardon the trite analogy, please. But you know rather well, Master, that the White-Haired Girl was not at all what you would call a beast. Not simply in appearance, but all the way down to her core. There was nothing beastly about her.

Her words brought him faint pain, but the beast still felt, on some level, that he wanted to keep her at his side. To see what would happen.

His next words were in large part impulsive.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, well. Not only is Pauline not in the picture yet, but a familiar face is... one that should have grown old and died a long time ago, if she were just plain folks.

So far, the only connecting thread between this story and the last one is White-hair... and the Maid is implying that their relationship is still older than that, with her saying "So you are REDACTED again." I had thought the Master, the one the Maid has been addressing, was Mell or something, but... what if it was White-Haired Girl all along? We've been discussing the relationship to the Maid and the house, but does this mean that the Girl is the house? Or are they both the house, in some weird way I'm not getting?

But hang on, what about those memories that White-Haired had that seemed related to the weird fairy tale she told Mell, that invoked Rapunzel in the same way this one now invokes Beauty and the Beast? it seemed to imply that she was born elsewhere, and in a much different manner that anyone has said so far. What about those people, yelling to kill her (or rather, to kill XXX)?

... drat it, why can't this just be vampires? Vampires is easy: it's a sexual predator metaphor.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

... drat it, why can't this just be vampires? Vampires is easy: it's a sexual predator metaphor.

You basically answered your own question. It's easy (=boring) and you can only write so much about metaphors.

Looks like my reincarnation/karma debt theory seems to have some merit. We see a maid and a girl with white hair again in this time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The scene with the girl and Bestia mirrors the scene with Mell and the girl, doesn't it? Down to 'why are you so kind to me?'

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Transmigration of some sort does seem likely. Maybe the mansion is only meant for a certain defined set of souls. The stage where the cycle of death and life is brought into relief.

If Mell is now Bestia and the WHG is now the WH Blind Girl... Is Pauline Nellie?

I suppose we will see. This hideous man/monster and blind woman pairing is fairly tropey so I'm wondering where it'll go.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

it's a sexual predator metaphor.

I mean, so was this for a few lines, there. :stonk:

ProfessorProf posted:

What he expected was for the beautiful girl before him to desperately implore him for mercy. He wanted nothing more than to see despair seep into every corner of her red eyes... for he believed that it would be a truly sublime moment, euphoria unlike anything he had experienced before.

Bestia prodded her with his singular sword, poking a slit in skin smoother than silk.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

and the question of the day
who is in more trouble here?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

and the question of the day
who is in more trouble here?
The house, obviously.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

PetraCore posted:

The house, obviously.

But the house always wins.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Skia Oura

She was the first visitor who had not met this fate. Over time, Bestia’s madness gradually subsided; he even began to seem rather tame. You would hardly believe it was the same beast who had once reveled in those perverse festivities. He was, I imagine, at a loss for how to behave. I too would be flustered in the constant presence of such beauty. But it was not just her appearance; she had said she wished to live with him — a beast who had committed countless atrocities. Perplexing indeed.

...What is the matter?
Do you honestly not fear me?
Do I appear to be afraid of you?
No... y-you do not.
(But you would. If you could see me, you would react the same as everyone else. You would mock me; you would despise me; you would want to kill me.)
(You don’t know what I’ve done, because you can’t see.)
(I enjoyed it.)
(I basked in their terror.)
(So why... Why do I not want you to find out?)
(I don’t want you to know how many people I’ve tortured, how many I’ve slaughtered, how much blood I’ve imbibed...)
(all the horrible things I’ve done.)

(But I relished in it...)
(I wanted... for so long... to slaughter them...)
(I desperately desired to see blood — human blood...)
(What is it I crave? Murder? Or laughter?)
(I said... that I had no need for peace, yet here I am...)
Is something the matter?
No, uh, some tea...
Oh, shall I make some? Are you thirsty?
No... I made... some tea. It’s probably cold by now...
I thought you might want some...
Y-You don’t...
No... no, I’ll take it. Hehe...
What are you laughing for?
Because I’m happy.
I-Is it to your liking?
...It’s bitter.

Their life together began quietly, their days without event. They had no extravagant meals; there were no swaths of guests lending life to the mansion’s halls. But there was also no one screaming in fear for their life. It was the peaceful life Bestia had lost. And he had returned once more to that quiet realm.

...What’s the matter?
You are always so quick... to notice my presence.
My world is one of darkness, so I have a heightened sense of hearing.
What is it like? How do you perceive the world? I cannot imagine living in complete darkness.
Occasionally, I can see light.
Light?
Yes. Not a radiant light, like the sun, but a soft light, floating in the darkness.
Like a candlelight, I suppose.
That... only perplexes me all the more. I find it difficult to understand what you are describing.
Is that so... It’s difficult for me as well. I am not sure how to explain it...
But it’s not complete darkness.
I can sense your presence, for instance, and I can tell how windy it is from the way the windows vibrate.
And also...
Also?
I also feel as though I can sense the wavering of emotions. The candlelight begins to flicker erratically.
From fear, intense sorrow, or other similar emotions.
My... emotions?
I do not know. It could be yours, and it could be mine.
This mansion is a very peculiar place.
The candlelight is always wavering, and yet it seems somehow stable.
It makes me feel as though this is where I belong.
I don’t... think I understand... I am a beast... and so I lack the intelligence.
But you...
...I am going to go hunting. Is there anything you would like?
...Whatever you like.
...All right then, um, if you find any fruit, that would be nice.
... Fruit...

You picked it before it was ripe.
I-I didn’t know. Is that a bad thing? I don’t know anything...
I cannot see, but... if fruit is still green, you are not supposed to eat it yet. What color are these?
...Gree — No, blue.
...Hehe.
Shall I give you a hand preparing supper?
I cannot ask for help of someone who can’t see. You’ll hurt yourself.
Don’t worry. I can tell, for the most part, where things are by touch and sound.
Are you worried?
Worried? Worried... Wor-ried...
(The thought of blood dripping down her finger...)
(doesn’t excite me.)
(What’s going on...? What on earth has happened to me?)
If I appear to be in any danger of harming myself, please let me know. Then you have nothing to worry about.
You do not seem any more comfortable in a kitchen than me.
She always cooks the —
... Where did she go?
Huh?
She always comes when I call...

Bestia had learned how to go about his daily life without my assistance, and the two of them had no need of others in their peaceful world.

Oh my. What is the matter, Master? Hehe... I was not lonely at all, no. It was an absolute pleasure simply watching them. I mean that. It was not my role to be at his side, nor was I the one to be at hers. If she could make Bestia into the master of the house, then my presence was unnecessary. I appear when I am needed, as I appeared to serve the flaxen-haired family. Nothing more. If they sought a servant, then would I show myself. Yes, certainly.

After some time, they began to sleep in the same bed. Oh dear, no... not for the reason you are imagining, Master. You thought no such thing? Hehe...

Though they slept in the same bed, they did not lay together. They did so, it seemed, because they were more comfortable in the same place. The two acted more like family than lovers.

No, I am awake.
Is the candlelight wavering?
Right now... it is very calm.
I see...
...Say, tell me about your childhood.
What...? Me?
Won’t you?
My... childhood?
Yes. I have no such stories to tell.
When I was a child...
I lost everything. My mother, father, brothers, everyone... So I...
For as long as I can remember, I did not have a father.
I lived alone with my mother, but I never felt like that was a bad thing.
Was she kind?
Yes, very... She was a compassionate woman.
But we were poor... and because I cannot see, my mother was the only one who could work.
She would be away for long stretches of time, supposedly because she served at a respectable house.
I do not know... whether or not that was true. Perhaps she was doing much more demanding work.
I never asked. I believed not asking was best for her.
From time to time, I would receive letters from her. Someone who lived nearby read them to me.
The letters went something like this:

“I’ll be back with more money soon, so you be a good girl.”
Other than that, she allegedly expressed concern for my health and safety, as well as repeatedly saying how much she loved me.
You have a good mother.
I did...
Nearly everything I remember my mother saying to me was written in her letters. So, so much kindness and warmth.
Why do you not live with her now?
How did you end up here in the mansion?
Before long... she lost her life at her place of employment, and I was sent the money she had earned.
It was, I imagine, enough to survive on.
When my mother was alive... she often lamented my blindness. “If only you could see,” she would say, “I could show you just how extraordinary this world is.”
So I decided I would visit a renowned physician in order to fulfill my mother’s dream.
A physician in this country. However...
upon examining me, he said that he could not restore my sight.

I lost everything my mother saved for me — the money she gave her life to earn for me.
I failed to repay her for anything she did, which cast a dark cloud over my heart.
My world has always been wrapped in darkness, but at that moment, I was in the deepest abyss — there was not even a speck of light.
I was at a complete loss. With nowhere to go, I simply wandered, no destination in mind.
And that was when I miraculously arrived at this mansion. It was as if it had summoned me here.
(You were being summoned. By the mansion, to fulfill my craving.)
(But it didn’t end up that way. I wonder if the mansion is disappointed...)
I see...
I apologize... for not having a brighter tale to tell. I imagine you were hoping to hear joyful childhood memories?
No... Did they hurt you?
Pardon?
The bandits. When they attacked, were you hurt?
You are so compassionate.
I am no such thing. I am not... compassionate...
I was perfectly fine. I took a few scratches, but nothing you need to worry about...
I see...
I believe...
...?
...that I am happy now. I was unable to regain my sight, and I haven’t the money to return home...
but I believe I left in order to come here.
Is your life, right now, happy?

(am terrified.)
(Am volatile.)
(Am growing accustomed to this woman’s comfort.)
(Am afraid of losing her.)
(A beast should not have these feelings...)
(A murderous beast...)
...Take this.
What is...
It makes a good gift, supposedly. I was planning to throw it out when I learned that...
but I couldn’t. I felt like I was meant to give it to someone.
That could only be you. It is a fake white rose.
...A white rose accessory.
Do you not want it?
No, no, I do... I just, for some reason...
...Never mind. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 23, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Their life together began quietly, their days without event.
They had no extravagant meals; there were no swaths of guests lending life to the mansion’s halls. But there was also no one screaming in fear for their life.
It was the peaceful life Bestia had lost.
And he had returned once more to that quiet realm.

Is the White-Haired Girl really saying this bit, or is it narration? Also, there seem to be uses of long-haired White-Haired Girl from last story- is that intended?

Anyway, this story's WHG does seem to be a different person than the last one, besides apparently sharing the same name. Which means that this is probably a transmigration story, as has been discussed by POOL and OutofSight, and the mark of this particular soul is white hair and red eyes. Or maybe it travels down the same bloodline, as the story of WHG's mother does bear a lot of similarities to the last one (poor girl working in a manor and apparently dying on the job)- I doubt it's quite the same lady, as even if the Rhodes' did take her back, that would be a longer life than is feasibly possible for someone at this time period. With bandits, poverty, disease, and all the other impediments to living, you could fit 3-4 lifetimes in 96 years.

The question is, is this the only repeating soul, or are there others? And if so, was Bestia Mell or Nellie? Because between those two, the one who had a truly violent outburst wasn't Mell...

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I've automated a bit more of the update composistion process, so I can produce them faster but the errors in updates will probably be a bit weirder than they were in Umineko.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Do you not desire more prey?

But you were so hungry for blood before.

(I’ve had enough... I don’t need any more. Although she is blind... no, because she cannot see, she does not push me away.)
(She’s the only one willing to accept me, to be with me.)

So hard to please. You obtain peace, cast it aside, and then pick it up once more. But you’ll never be able to escape it completely. After all — you are enchanted by the pleasure murder brings. You have been for a very, very long time...

(This time... This time I’m done.)
(I won’t kill anyone anymore.)
(Being with her is far more satisfying...)
(than the joy killing brought me. To be with her is what I truly want!)

So very self-centered.

You certainly are.

Hey —
...!

It was as though he was viewing a flashback. The sound of knocking echoed through the mansion, as it had the day the Merchant came and brought the beast’s short-lived peace crashing down.

What did I just tell you?!
I do not want any more prey!
Stop this... Stop it! Don’t bring me any more!
I thought you were supposed to fulfill my desires!
Why did the door open?!

He had obtained the peace he so dearly wanted, and even found someone who did not fear him; he was terrified that the appearance of more prey would cause this all to crumble. If he spotted the prey, murdered them, and conceded to his madness, she might choose to leave him. As much as she claimed he was not hideous, if she witnessed him doing that...

I’ll just chase them out... I’m done with this!
My desire has changed!

However —

BGM: None

Wh-Wh-Wh-Why... Whyyyy?

Bestia shuddered in terror at the sight.

...! S-Stay baaaack!
××××××××××××××××
Stay away from meeee!

He broke into a run.

It was not, after all, helpless prey that had entered the mansion.

That’s... That thing is — !
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

The monster’s voice seemed to slither along the floors behind him. He felt as though, if he were to turn around, it would be right there on top of him.

Why are you chasing me?!

Bestia shouted with fear in his voice, uncharacteristic of the beast who had so readily slaughtered his prey. But can you blame him?

That’s... That’s...
a bestia!

In that moment, I had an epiphany. I had assumed he had called himself “bestia” unaware of what the word meant.

A bestia other than me — !

Indeed, a second beast had come to the mansion.

Why! Are you! Chasing me?!
Are you here to kill me?!
Is it because I settled down? Because I wanted to stop being a beast?!
Aaaah —

When the White-Haired Girl poked her head out of her bedchamber, Bestia was aghast. He frantically attempted to return her to her room.

Y-You mustn’t leave your room!

But as he was doing this, the horrifying creature — no, the beast’s voice drew nearer.

Um...?
Do not open this door, for any reason! I will... I will protect you!
(That’s right... That’s right, I don’t want this peace destroyed!)
(These tranquil days together with this woman...)
(I will protect them. I will.)

Trembling in fear, Bestia gathered his resolve. He pointed his sword — which until then had only been used to torment others — at the second beast. Now, he would wield his blade to protect the person he cared about. This was the same beast who had killed and killed and killed to satisfy his own primal desires.

I will not let you destroy this... I will protect it from you!

From a rational point of view, the things he was saying and feeling were rather idealistic, but Bestia was desperate. He did not want to lose this peace.

Before long, the beast — the one chasing him — appeared from within the darkness.

Nnh... mnh... ngh... aaaaaaaah!

Say, Master... If resolve was the only thing necessary for one to act courageously, would that not mean nearly anyone could become a hero?

Hah, aah, aaaaaaaaaaaah!
××××××××××××××××××××××

Bestia had viciously slaughtered so many people before. He had gathered the courage to protect the things he cared for. But now, he was shaking. He did not gallantly bring his sword down upon the approaching beast; instead, he trembled visibly from head to toe. He must have been quite terrified at the beast’s appearance.

××××××××
Stop, no, stay away from me... Don’t! Stay back!
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Seeing Bestia so scared, I imagine the beast thought it a prime opportunity, for it slowly, ever so slowly ambled toward him.

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Aah... aaaahhhh... aaaaaaaahhhh...!
(If I don’t kill it, it will kill me! I have to kill it I have to kill it I have to kill it I have to kill it I have to kill it I have to kill it!)

And that was the moment Bestia’s mind ran off the rails of sanity.

He lifted his sword up above his head, facing the approaching beast —

GrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaah!

— and ferociously —

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

OOOOOOaaaa×aaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa×aaaa AAAAaaaa××aaaaaaaah!

Again, and again, and again.

Screaming, horrifically, at the top of his lungs.

He continued, swing after swing, until the other beast had gone completely still.

×××××, A×××××, A××A××××××A××××××× AA××××××××××AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Ahh... aaaah... aaaaaaaah... aaaahhhh...!

At some point, the other beast had stopped moving and sunken into a pool of its own lifeblood.

Hah, hahh... haaaah...
I-I did it... I did it. I killed it. I killed the other bestia. Hah, hahaha, hahahahaha...
Hah, hah, hahah!

...!

Bestia had let his guard down, assuming he had claimed victory over the unmoving beast. I had not imagined, either, that the beast could still be alive after shedding so much blood.

×    × ×          ×
S-Stay back...

The beast reached its hand out toward Bestia. It was determined to drag him down to the underworld, it seemed. Slowly sliding along the slippery floor, it dragged itself toward him.

××           ×            ×

Even on its last breaths, it continued reaching for Bestia, fixated on him. He kicked the beast’s hand up into the air, staggering it, and then he —

— rammed his blade down into it.

Bestia’s fear-stricken expression was hardly that of a knight who had just saved the maiden. Nevertheless, he had indeed eradicated the other beast.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

I uh... Welp. That's about all I can say here: Welp. :ohdear:

(Though I do feel sorry for the Maid. After all, she's the one who keeps the house clean after these, uh, incidents...sure hope the poor gal remembers to take breaks!)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Skylight posted:

I uh... Welp. That's about all I can say here: Welp. :ohdear:

(Though I do feel sorry for the Maid. After all, she's the one who keeps the house clean after these, uh, incidents...sure hope the poor gal remembers to take breaks!)

Maybe the house just absorbs it all as sustenance... :iit:

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
:stonklol:

Wow, that was...umm...just wow.

Maybe Beatia has some redeeming qualities? Maybe?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

evergate posted:

:stonklol:

Wow, that was...umm...just wow.

Maybe Beatia has some redeeming qualities? Maybe?

Yeah Bestia's a good guy, just going through some serious poo poo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah Bestia's a good guy, just going through some serious poo poo.
No, I don't think he's a good guy when he's killed so many people for the pure enjoyment of it. But he's trying to be better, which matters.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Did Bestia beat his Shadow?

evergate
Jan 15, 2010

PetraCore posted:

No, I don't think he's a good guy when he's killed so many people for the pure enjoyment of it. But he's trying to be better, which matters.

That's my takeaway from this, too. He's making the attempt to get better, but who knows how long that will last. Bloodlust is a powerful thing once a pattern becomes established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I think two comments, including this one, will push us to the next page.