Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Onmyoji is a mobile RPG inspired by Heian-era fantasy. It plays much like Summoners War does, if you're familiar with it. You have a team of 3-5 units (shikigami) plus your character, which take turns duking it out with the enemy. The game's art style is absolutely gorgeous, and it has a wide variety of japanese folk monsters of all shapes, genders and sizes.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/551170/Onmyoji/
The game is currently not released on steam, but I'd wager we'll get it in February or March given the time frames they've presented for Early Access.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netease.onmyoji.gb&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onmyoji/id1257031979?mt=8

Steam will feature cross-platform play with mobile devices, and users have reported that the Chinese release already includes PC play and the ability to link the account. In other words, if you want to play on Steam but start now, you shouldn't lose anything. Or if you want the option to play on PC at home and phone on the go, you'll be able to!

Here's a video featuring some low level gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFc-LrEaLxI

There is no goon guild yet. If there's enough interest in the game, we can create one. I would advocate for letting random pubs in and simply pruning them as needed to create space for goons. The game virtually requires you to join a guild, and being in a large and active one is extremely beneficial!

The game also wants your location and does some things with maps, but I don't think it shows your real-world location to others.

In the next post, I'll include a variety of external resources and personal opinions/experiences based off my initial time playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Here's a handful of external resources:

http://onmyoji.wikia.com/wiki/Onmyoji_Wiki - Haven't dug much into this wiki yet, not sure how well put together it is.
https://onmyojiguide.com/ - Pretty in depth, has a lot of good content that covers questions for new and veteran players alike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnV1fYL5akU - A decent video that goes over a lot of concepts for new players.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Onmyoji/ - Yes, it's reddit. Whatever. There's other people here who might ask the same questions you do.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSAday9iZWed6e_WxUbsOOb6r7KswqVo0uIByAJk3NL5LXLlI4dDCM2gnevEbncd8Eucer2yevfdfel/pubhtml - Soul suggestion sheet from reddit.

Goon friend list Unlike other mobile games, you can actually reliably search by username.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KwyMtFCpajgtedx_b8qgc3mLmrBM5L0lOeHaHNEHRQI/edit?usp=sharing

Personal opinions/new player advice
1. Every shikigami is precious, even N-quality. Do not feed them away for exp willy-nilly. The biggest grind in the game is increasing Grade all the way to 6, which requires an immense amount of N-quality shikigami and exp. There are materials to mitigate the grind, but you will treasure your Ns. I fed about 20 Ns away before realizing my mistake.

2. There are a ton of great and unique skill sets on units that make even lower rarity units very valuable! You can create some incredibly competent and potent teams without a bunch of SSRs. One example is Zashiki, who you receive for free early on via achievements. Zashiki has a skill set that generates a lot of orbs for the team. She's a valuable unit no matter what stage of the game you're playing.

3. Pause your boosts and use them wisely! You should turn them off if you aren't actively playing or doing content where they'll be useful. This goes hand in hand with my next point...

4. Clear out public battles as often as possible. Kraken is super valuable and you can join a public fight for it once per hour, or trigger it more often yourself by just beating regular bosses. Here's a shot of me clearing a Kraken with 150% exp running. The exp gain is enormous, not to mention the loot rewards after.

5. Hit up the events board as soon as you can. Claim all the various easy ones for liking on facebook or posting to twitter (i didn't even need to actually post to twitter). You should have plenty of time (as of this posting) to fulfill the requirements to get a free Ubume as well. Ubume is one of the strongest SRs in the game, and can compete with some of the SSRs.

6. While running automode, you can tap the portraits in the bottom right to disable or enable skill usage. This will help you fine tune your team for those shikigami you don't want consuming orbs for skills.

7. Ubume and Zashiki are loving ridiculous. I strongly suggest investing in both of them from the get go. Yuki Onna, one of the starter Shikigami, is also fairly useful, as she has an AOE crowd control. She needs some investment in effect hit% souls, though.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 4, 2018

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Been playing this game off and on.

It's alright, It's basically a Ancient Japan themed Summoners War.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

It pretty much is summoner wars, with a less worse gacha (not that that's saying much), and more flexibility in being competitive without sinking mad cash into it. I also enjoy the social aspects more. I've been playing mobage where the social aspect doesn't exist (FEH and Azurlane), so it's nice to be able to do things with other people and actually engage in multiplayer.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I started playing this and really enjoy the game so far. The art style is gorgeous and I like that for once you have a game deeply rooted in Japanese mythology instead of the usual "Collect half naked underage girls" gacha games. My deepest sympathy goes out to my bro Kappa when the carp girl put him in the ultimate friendzone.

I'm level 17 now and already threw some money their way. Got Shuten Doji, 2x Yoto Hime and the useless (?) deer-boy SSR so far. Joined some random guild, since I didn't know that goons were already onboard, gave out some shards and promptly got kicked from their clubhouse, so I hope we get people interested for our own guild.

And since I'm bad with money, I already got the consolation prize.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Man I've made about 90 rolls (mostly free) and haven't seen a single ssr. drat lucksacks.

Edit: I'm in the Australia guild and the only res seem to be being active and making a bit of medal contribution.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

It's amazing how pretty the game is, especially the backgrounds. All of it is animated too, with moving clouds, wind and so on....

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I haven't played Summoner Wars at all, hows the grind in this one? We talking like PAD or FGO where you do a handful of runs a day, or more like 7K or KingsRaid like where you leave your phone on auto-battling for hours at a time? The charging port on my phone is dying so I'm trying to kill it even faster :v:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I haven't played Summoner Wars at all, hows the grind in this one? We talking like PAD or FGO where you do a handful of runs a day, or more like 7K or KingsRaid like where you leave your phone on auto-battling for hours at a time? The charging port on my phone is dying so I'm trying to kill it even faster :v:

I only played FFBE and FEH so far, so I can't really compare to the ones you mentioned. But it does not seem to be that bad, the daily quests don't take long. The real grind are evolve mats and shards.

What I really like so far, is that even lesser characters are useful and can become quite strong, you don't need to splat down thousands of $$$ to build a viable team of super-rares.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Is Demon Encounter bugged for anyone else ? When the daily event begins and I move over to the event area I get a map of my city, then I can click the blue icon in the lower right 4x and get various messages about chests and bosses. But nothing shows up on the map.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is up on steam. It's $5. Kind of expected it to be free with the optional $5 and $20 bonus packs, but whatever. I have extra cash from selling dota hats. Won't be surprised if people generate some backlash about that since it's free on phone.

e: Linking your steam account is easy, you literally just open the phone version and go to settings and bind it to steam. The game runs super fast and smooth on PC. It's way more responsive. PC has daily restrictions on how much you can play on PC. This is a holdover from the Chinese version where they do that for health reasons. Note that you can't buy your way past the caps on PC. They seem very high though unless you play INSANE amounts per day.

150 evo zones, 250 soul zones, 50 demon seals, 30 krakens, 80 realm raids, 100 guild realm raids, 50 totem zone, 300 demons in exploration zones. That's a REALLY high cap, plus it doesn't seem to be incrementing? I've done things today and I am 0/X on all of them.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 9, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's Early Access on Steam.

quote:

We plan to make the game free at full release, the Early Access version contains special discount packs exclusive for Early Access users.”

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Good thing I'm literate and not an idiot. Either way the game plays super nice on pc imo.

Edit:
Finally got my 100 rolls done. No ssr in 100. My guaranteed was Aoandon who is decent but not game changing.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 9, 2018

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I gave them some money, since I really enjoy the art style and might stick with this game for a long time, I like the "traditional Japanese paintings" style they chose it makes it so different from typical gacha games.

My first SSR was Shishio from the "100 pulls" event, that was a letdown, seems he's more a pvp niche character. But then I had a good streak and got 2x Yoto Hime, Shuten, Arakawa (looks like single target dps) and finally Ibaraki. Done with summoning for now and getting into the grindy part to get one of these to 6 and fully souled out to become my farming character. Most guides I have read so far recommend building one really strong character fron your resources instead of spreading out early.

The question is which one. I asked in chat and most people told me I should go for Yoto Hime, she seems to be a great boss killer and her multi-hit attack can also deal with trash pretty well. I have enough EVO mats for either her or Ibaraki who is generally considered to be one of the best pve options. Opinions ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 12, 2018

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005
This game is pretty good. It is very much Summoners War with cool art, a less punitive gacha, a lot more strategy options and a vast number of QoL upgrades. I've been playing it for a few days. I am enjoying it. It does kind of flood you with options of things to do without really explaining what is going on. That Onmyoji Guide site does a pretty good job of explaining the game though.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Got my first 6* after 2 weeks of play and throwing some money at them. Wondering if I should use my skill darumas on him too for faster farming. Ibaraki is supposedly pretty good at the pve part, except when facing solo bosses.

Kinda odd that there is so little goon interest, since the game is pretty good. Guess everyone is entrenched in Exvius, FEH or Fate.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Got my first 6* after 2 weeks of play and throwing some money at them. Wondering if I should use my skill darumas on him too for faster farming. Ibaraki is supposedly pretty good at the pve part, except when facing solo bosses.

Kinda odd that there is so little goon interest, since the game is pretty good. Guess everyone is entrenched in Exvius, FEH or Fate.

The problem is that with threads like this (and Girls Frontline, and Lords of Dice) is that you're basically regurgitating the same subset of goons who play gacha mobage already. The few that play are hanging out in already established discords and don't really post on the forums. For example, the Granblue community is busy as gently caress but all of it is generally on discord.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Guess that explains it, I'm also on the Discord for FEH and Exvius.

I got the Vexing achievement today, 200 pulls without any SSRs. 2000 jade and a skill egg as consolation prize.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've never been into gacha games before, but I'm super into anything remotely related to onmyoudo/Heian era magic and could use something to do on the bus. What's the best way to get started the right way other than memorizing wikis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've never been into gacha games before, but I'm super into anything remotely related to onmyoudo/Heian era magic and could use something to do on the bus. What's the best way to get started the right way other than memorizing wikis?

Mostly doing dailies and - if you have the nerve for it - then re-roll your account til you get a SSR Aoe DPS like Ibaraki or Otengu, Ubume will also do, even though she's just a SR. Focus your resources into building one strong farming character instead of spreading yourself too thin.

• Locked thread