Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

What a drive! I couldn't get any sleep riding shotgun in Danny's truck. It was just so fascinating to meet these people in person and share my theories. So much new data with this town and the rabbit pendant. Could this be some kind of child-sacrifice cult at work? Was that the missing piece? They would need to be careful.

What's the purpose of this small town? Was it economically viable to even have a motel and gift shop without the accompanying travel infrastructure? Sure, there could be seasonal hikers and cross country skiers or something, but why would they stay at this place when the road was so poorly maintained? And then the town itself seems to have an incredibly strong tax base and income for a small logging community.

Joe cranes his neck around once they get into town, trying to take in as much data as possible. He tries to makes sense of this remote place economically and historically as part of the whole system. When they arrive he gets out of the truck after Danny and peers suspiciously at the hotel and the proprietor.

I want to try to get a general impression of how this town might "work" (or suspiciously not work). Seems weirdly nice compared to the other towns around it.

How does this town fit? (Int + Investigation + spc.): 7d10o9h8 1
Count was 1 short: 1d10o9h7 1
2 hits

Also I'll buy the GPS. Exact locations matter if he's ever going to figure out how everything fits together.

Double also I'll burn Omens: Is Toby alive?
Omens (Wits + Occult +Spc. + Willpower): 8d10h8 1

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2018 around 01:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

I'm barely listening to what they're saying - stupid - I need to listen, I need to pay attention to everything. Everything matters. Toby is alive, I know it. But I can't explain how I know it, too many variables, too many workings of the subconscious. We can't waste time, if he's a prisoner who knows how long before he's sacrificed or mutilated or sold into sex slavery. I take comfort in the hard pressure of the high caliber pistol under my coat. I have no idea how to use the thing, but the man at the gun store recommended it along with the shoulder strap. Just point and click. A child could do it. No time. No time to waste. We need to investigate now. But I can't show it to this man, he's a suspect.

Joe approaches the man, sweating and staring at him nervously. "Yeah, we need one room with two beds and a cot. And where does this town keep its records? Is there a local police station? I'm a, uh, hobbyist small town historian.

Auto-failing my attempt to get information from this man without seeming suspicious. Joe is Shaken so his composure is visibly gone for no good reason.

Also as per discord I have a high caliber pistol because we knew this place was potentially dangerous going in. Not that I know how to use it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

Strange, very strange. Toby has been out of contact for some time but he just has a room here? Does this town have no internet? Phone lines? Still, I can feel some of the tension in my soldiers fade away. It seems unlikely that Toby has been abducted by a cannibal cult if he's still checked in. Or if he was, and these guys were in on it, they would have cleared out the room instead of mentioning him, right?

What's this about seeing me before? I don't like it. I'm a very distinctive person, not the sort to be confused with every tourist. Could this be a time-loop semi-open groundhog scenario? No, no, stay grounded. That's crazy talk, I'm not crazy unless I let myself be crazy. Maybe he's just hitting on me?

"I don't believe I've ever been here before, officer. What did my doppleganger do? Did he have a watch like mine? How long ago would this be, and how long did he stay? Did you speak to him?"

As he considers the (insane) possibility of time distortion Joe logs the exact coordinates of the inn with his GPS, along with a timestamp. He checks the timestamp with his antique mechanical watch. But as that craziness passes he makes eye contact with the Sheriff, trying to read what was really behind his comment.

Reading Intentions (Composure + Empathy): 5d10o10h8 3

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

I calm down a bit once I realize the Sheriff is just loving with me. They might not be in on it, or maybe they are but we're already trapped! I'm surprised that Toby is still checked in and he has so much space? What's the reasoning there? He's alive, but is he safe? Could he just be staying in the hotel, still following a lead?

When I see the room I dump off some stuff, but I've got no interest in sleeping yet.

"Good that we're in one room, I was hoping we'd all stay together. This place could be dangerous and if we're isolated and sleeping we're vulnerable. I might just be being paranoid... If Toby's still checked in here we should talk to him ASAP. If he's not at his room I think we should just break in. Do you know how to pick locks?"

I'll give the room a once-over and try to figure out what that door does, then head out to find Toby's room upstairs.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

Is Danny looking for bugs? Of course! There could be any number of secret devices, chemicals, or boobytraps in this room! Any number of nefarious uses for a hidden camera in a hotel, from security to black market films. Even if it's clean for devices, there could be clues in how the room was used in the past! Housekeepers don't clean everything. Watch repair is often an investigative enterprise of recreating the crafter's intention from broken remnants. Find the remnants.

Joe takes out his portable tool kit. It's not the full set he has at home, but it should do. He starts by using his smartphone to check for electromagnetic fields and camera glint. Then he gets out his blacklight and reactive sprays and starts combing through the carpet and furniture. He scrutinizes any detail with his Loupe glasses, his intense, obsessive focus driving him to pick everything apart like it's a crime scene. Who knows, it might be one.

Looking around the room: 7d10o9h8 5

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

A book! A real creepy book filled with pages of writing! I'd been working from tablescraps before, this was the motherlode! The fractal patterning no doubt had some kind of occult significance but it was nonsense without a key, and the book might be that key. Then there's the pendant, was it related to the pendants Toby was investigating? The Golden Rabbit? Could it be a way to ritually mark the next victim? Too many possibilities, I need more data.

"Found something!" Joe shouts to the others and shows them the pendant first, then the book, and then gestures at the fractal pattern. He can't keep his eyes off the book though. He begins immediately, obsessively, reading it. He'd probably be more help picking that lock and getting to Toby, but he can't let the book go.

Being obsessive about this book, Joe is useless until he finishes reading it in its entirety. Then he will very likely pick it apart, look for symbolism and patterns like it's the bible.

Occult Reading Roll (Intelligence + Occult): 5d10h8 3

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2018 around 23:15

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe Schizmer

I grunt noncommittally at whatever it was they're saying, not really paying attention to anything but the book. A symbol for extraction? Splitting? Taking something out of someone, is that what happened to the girl? Did kidnap her to, what, try some insane ritual to steal her youth and live forever? Not enough pieces, not enough clues, but with these new clues I can almost feel the shape of something. The book is sticky, ew, and opening it without the proper tools could damage the old paper, but it could be the key I'm looking for.

Continue to read: 5d10h8 3

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

Finally some peace to really dig in to this book. Could it be referring to an ideational theory of physics that our own mathmatics can only approximate because mathmatical language is inherently inadequate?

Joe reads his book

Reading: 6d10o10h8 1

Spending my xp for +1 occult as the book expands his mind, maaan

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Ah, so that's what happened to Dakota Vandermeer, and what happened to Toby. That's how the world was ruined. Dakota had a purpose, and this thing from outside the system, outside even the duality, this thing carelessly broke a piece.Yet it seeks to judge me. Once again, seeing the part but not the system. What is the point in praising or damning the orchard based on a single apple?

I think of the Clock and hold its image in my mind. Yes, it would be perfect. But the true value of clocks is in their diversity, in the thousands of paths they take to reach the same result, the beauty of history, improvement, the unique artistry of each watchmaker. That place is not better than this one. There is only loss in bridging the gap.

"gently caress your path." Joe takes out his lighter and puts the book to flame, tossing it in the little hotel trash can along with whatever else will burn to speed it along. He addresses the hungry, watching, darkness, "I will be your last victim, monster, so you better get it right this time."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

I stare at the flames as rage, fear, humiliation, and self loathing war within me. I'm a loving ape and I don't understand this thing. But I understand what it is. It's evil, all of it, and all of it should burn, even if it loving refuses to catch from normal fire. What about unormal fire? Was the book to deeply connected to the town itself?

I look at the thing approaching on the GPS. The other guys took the car, and fleeing on foot in a snowstorm? Popsicle Joe. It wants to Judge me. So, fight, flee, hide, or submit? No right answer. I just want to do whatever will hurt this thing the most.

Omens (with willpower): 8d10o10h8 2

Can I use the book to destroy the book?
Can I hurt the entity by putting the town to flame?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

Joe spits on the fire spitefully. He takes out his gun and eyes it.

Would probably be for the best to end it right here. Considering the implications of this thing's success, the right thing is almost certainly suicide. But that was a delaying tactic. It would find another victim and gum things up even in its search. Besides... I don't have the strength to do it. Not now. Let's see what other jokes it has in store for me.

Joe leaves the room, letting the fire burn. He walks over to the lobby to meet whatever is coming. He shouts for the guy at the front desk, "hey, rear end in a top hat! I lit my room on fire if you give a poo poo. I don't know if you're a real person, but if you are gently caress you for not giving the heads up about the goddamn cursed book. If you aren't... gently caress you twice for being whatever the gently caress you are!"

I might never read again. Books are burn on sight. gently caress knowledge.

I go right? I think this is right.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

Well, that's a surprise! I stare at them, not knowing what to do while they wrestle in the snow. I've already concluded that Joe is an rear end in a top hat or a monster, probably in on the town's bullshit. The detective is a victim, like me. He's also a cop. And he's my friend, or close enough. I'm not going to sit here and watch my friend get strangled by some psycho in the middle of his abducted kid rescue mission.

I pull out my gun, but not to hurt anyone. Just like I see in the movies, when the bankrobber or the cowboy wants to get people to settle down and pay attention.

Joe shoots into the air, then stumbles backward, startled by the kick and the noise, "Hey! Hey! That's a cop! Stop it!"

Intimdation: 1d10h8 0

Let's call that a dramatic failure because shooting in this situation probably has deeper consequences than doing nothing.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

Joe stumbles to his feet, fear, horror, and rage welling up in him. He shakily looks for the gun but barely takes a step before he dry heaves.

Thank God (is God real? I figured He wasn't but recent events argue to the contrary), I didn't eat lunch. Get it together. Get it together you rear end in a top hat. You found the girl. You found the cop. The thing is coming for you. Can we get out? If we skip town right the gently caress now, can we escape its realm of influence? It's worth a try.

Joe straightens up, refusing to look at the monster corpse. "Come on, come on, we have to get out of here. It's... It's worth a try. Just get out. I'll drive, drive and never stop until we're somewhere warm and safe" He gestures for Dakota to help him carry Shaw to the back of the Sedan. Then he intends to get in the driver's seat and drive out of this ideal.

Integrity: 2d10h8 1

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

poo poo, poo poo!

"poo poo!"

I didn't bring the battery thing, it's probably in the other vehicle. gently caress. Alright, spot loving car repair time before... Before whatever.

Joe pops the hood and jumps from the car, laser focused with adrenaline and denial. Time for a diagnoses and a fix.

Car Repair: 7d10h8 2

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

He'd have to have cables. He runs a hotel in the middle of nowhere, there's no goddamn reason he wouldn't have cables. He has cables. We can make it. We can still do this.

Joe trudges as fast as he can through the snow and looks for cables to jump the car. Blinded by snow, he relies on his memory and his sense of where the car should be and where the cables should be stored.

Wits + Survival + Pieces: 5d10h8 1

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

I'm barely thinking anymore. Push the car, jump the car, get me, Dakota, and Shaw out of there. I know this stuff, it's comforting to think about, better than thinking about... what about the guys? I don't want to leave them here, but this, right here and now, this could be a win. Deprive the thing of its favorite toys. Save Dakota, I didn't even think it was a possibility. The guys aren't a target yet, not like us.

With mechanical efficiency, Joe pushes the car into position and jumps it. He's planning to drive out of town at high speed.

Push the car: 4d10h8 2
Jump the Car: 5d10h8 2

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

I can hear a honking behind us. There's a pattern to it, my mind instinctively connects it to... No, NO! It's a trick. This place will do anything to try and get us to stop, try to keep us. The storm, the... the monster. I can't trust anything. I have to leave, now!

Joe resolves his Shaken condition by auto-failing his roll to comprehend the horn! He's rabbiting hard!

"I'm not stopping for poo poo!" Joe hands her his GPS, "I have data points leading into here, hopefully whatever this thing is, that will lead us back out. That's not your dad. I know your dad... Or I know someone who knows him. That's not him. That's your jailer. This place is a prison. And we're breaking out!" Obsessively focused on this goal, Joe floors it!

Drive! (spending will): 6d10h8 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Joe

There's a bridge. I know there's a bridge, because there should be a bridge. You can see it in the design of the road, in the placement of the trees, in the snow fall. There should be a bridge. There has to be a bridge.

"There's a bridge here." Joe mumbles to no one in particular, "I can't see it well in the snowstorm, but I know there's a bridge."

Joe holds the image of the bridge in his mind and drives right for it!

• Locked thread