Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Oof, that’s a drive. Pretty sure the road out to my cabin has better graveling, though I guess I tend to take it a bit slower when it gets bad. At least the guys are ok enough. Jason is well enough all things considered, and this Joe cares even if he’s a bit Chatty Cathy. Really glad they agreed to stock up before we left, its even colder this high up. Been meaning to pick up that portable jumper thingy anyways, the cold really sucks the juice from your battery. I grunt as I hop out of my truck, my knees thanking me for the long drive and the chill. I nod to the fellow out in the cold, and wince a little in sympathy as the truck’s heat is whisked away by the outside air.

Oof, mornin’ has got a bit of a bite to it up here.

This is said to my general surroundings. If the man wants to strike up a conversation that’s fine, but I’ve been up in the mountains most of my life and know a soft touch is best.

I pick up the portable battery jumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I nod back to the man. “A cup of joe would be grand, thanks.” I follow him into the motel, looking around the place

Playing the tourist is a good excuse to give somewhere the once-over. Looks like an old sleep-n-go, but God knows looks can be deceiving. S’not like the town outside looks like a place a cop would have disappeared at.

I turn back to Joel when he introduces himself and shake his hand. “S’Danny. Nice to meet ya Joel. Me’n the boys were looking to take in a bit of the up-country before really winter set in, Though…” I look back out through the front window, then give him a rueful smile. “Looks like we might’ve cut it a little fine.”

Taking a look around Preception: 5d10o9h8 0

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Damned fine coffee. Might have to see what kind the man gets, gonna be drinking alot of coffee over the winter. Drinking coffee is an excellent way to keep your mouth busy so it can’t get you in trouble. But I probably should say something at least.

”Yeah I don’t mind bunking up, but a little bit of breathing room would be nice.” I nod to the Sheriff, touching the brim of an imaginary hat. “S’good to meetcha Sheriff. I mainly guide weekend hikes down Apache Peak way, I’ve not made it up this far north before. But I’m looking forward to seeing something new.”

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I turn back to Joel when the Sheriff leaves. “Friendly fellow, your Sheriff. And drat fine coffee friend, do you go for the fancy stuff?” I gesture with my arm, indicating my companions. “Joe and I will take one of your doubles, Jason will have a room to himself.” I smile at the group, trying to defuse a little of the tension. “Of course that means he gets to keep most of the gear with him, fair’s fair.”

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I give the room a critical eye. I’ve stayed in much worse, but I’m never fond of staying in unknown places. But nothing immediately jumps out at me as being particularly suspicious. Of course, Toby probably thought the same thing so…

I jerk my thumb towards the back door. “Should connect to the next-door room. I saw the light was on when we walked past. But before we do much more than unpack” I rock my head around slightly, indicating our room. “we should make sure there aren’t any surprises waiting for us here.”

I’m not a wiz with the gizmos nowadays, but I’ve watched shows and I’ve had to repair my radio enough that I’ve got an idea of what to look for if there are cameras or other security things tucked away. I poke around in the closet and take a look behind the lights and paintings and such. Better safe than sorry.

Investigating the motel room: 3d10o10h8 0

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I’ve just about given the room a clean bill of heath when Joe’s shout startles me. I’m about to scold him when I see what he’s pulled out of the wall. ”Oh, good find my boy.” I make a lowering motion with one hand, and speak a little quieter. “But we may want to not alert the whole building.” I’m smiling enthusiastically, which hopefully takes any sting out of the words.

Joe seems engrossed in the fancier of the books, but the little notebook looks like something a detective might carry to take case notes in. At least on the police shows. I grab a few tissues off the nightstand and use them to maneuver and flip through the notebook. Hopefully Toby was meticulous about writing things down…

Let me know if there’s a roll involved for this

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

My heart falls as I skim through Toby’s notes. Like, I *know* there’s something weird about this case. But this isn’t the notebook of someone stumbling across a conspiracy or a weird freak too good at covering their tracks. These notes are from a man completely losing it, and we very well may have been brought here by nothing more than his delusions. poo poo.

I look up as Jason speaks, my dismay clear on my face. “Yep, Joe found some stuff in the vent between the two rooms.” I pause, not wanting to the bearer of bad new. But gently caress it, the man deserved to know. I hand Jason the little notebook. “I- it looks like Toby might not have been upfront with us, and definitely not clear headed.”

But some of the crap had been oddly specific, and maybe they would help understand where Toby was coming from or his state of mind. And maybe it could at least lead it to him, he’s technically missing as well.

Rolling Occult to recognize the Proper Nouns Toby used (+Willpower) Rolling Occult to recognize the Proper Nouns Toby used (+Willpower): 6d10o10h8 2

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Huh. That’s some pretty heavy stuff for a police detective, even if he’s dealing with a fancy book. Its certainly alot for me to digest, especially since my stomach’s reminding me breakfast was a while ago. ”poo poo, Gnosticism and B-n-E is too heavy to deal with on an empty stomach. How about you two? Break to grab some grub first, maybe get the lay of the land?” I catch Jason’s attention, but Joe seems lost in thought. I give him a nudge or two. Ah, I’ve seen folks like that in the library, get lost in their books.

I sigh and regard Jason. “Maybe bring’im back a doggy bag?”

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

“A burger would hit the spot I’d think, or at least something hefty. It was an early morning and I ain’t had anything solid since last night.” I grab my coat and nod to Jason to leave. “Oh, and if you don’t find any reading material that you like, I got a couple of spotting guides and a Potter book in the truck. Swung by the library last night.”

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Huh, weird. Even seasonal places woulda been open until recently, its not like Colorado tourists are afraid of snow. Of course, its not like the economy’s been booming either. Its still weird, ‘specially with all the townsfolk watching us. I sigh and mutter something under my breath. Then I point out the Sheriff’s truck in the Roadhouse parking lot to Jason. “Looks like the Sheriff is still at it. We’d probably make a better impression without Joe, but if you want to avoid a second round the general store would have sandwich fixins and pop.”

Gonna bank my XP for the time being

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I nod to the Sheriff and the presumed Gil. “That’s mighty kind of you Sheriff, mighty kind.” I eye the stock, then give up when I only recognize a handful. ”A beer would be grand, one of your stouts would expand my horizons a bit.” I take a seat at the longtable, close enough to not have to shout but far enough we not in each other’s business.

”Well, maybe not ‘blazing’. But yeah, seeing the sights and getting some of these high country trails in. Was a long drive so we figured we’d grab a bite before heading out for the day.”

(FYI, if the beer here is in fact good, that will be another fulfilled Aspiration)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

I savor the stout. Sally’s a good girl and she’s nice about me coming off the mountain all smelly, but she doesn’t stock much more than the bigname pisswaters. The sheriff’s question pulls me back out of my enjoyment. ”Oh, we haven’t really got much of a start. But things look promising, especially on a full stomach. Hopefully the weather won’t put us any further behind.” As the sheriff spills his coffee, I slid him a few of my own napkins. He may be a bit on the odd/creepy side, but no man deserves hot coffee on their thigh.

(I never got back to you about the other Aspiration I achieved, so here are two:
-get Joe to unwind sightly
-find out the supplier of the stout)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

What the poo poo. I turn sideway slowly, still sitting at the bench but somewhat facing this screaming fucker. My hands clench slightly. Someone busting into a place screaming is never a good sign, but I reign in my instincts. This isn’t Sally’s, and technically the law is already here. I’m ready for poo poo to go down, but I’m not going to start anything. Hell, maybe this is just some local nutter, and this is how he gets lunch normally. Yeah, right.

My eyes flick across the big man and through the window to his cockeyed truck, trying to pick out anything that might help get a handle on this situation.

Check to notice anything weird about the New Guy (aside from the screaming): Preception: 5d10o9h8 1

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

And now this crazyman is man-handling the law. And no-one else seems to be too concerned by this. Even if this Jonathan is known for his hysterics, the other folks should be reacting. Trust me, I know small-town folks. They love to whisper and judge. Plus, if Toby *is* caught up in this, our general situation could take a bad turn.

I try and catch Jason’s eye, and flick a few fingers to tell him to keep his distance. I slide down the bench a little myself, not enough to draw attention but trying to put a little distance between me and the brewing confrontation.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Anger and Hope are not the most stable of emotions, so I’m not much pleased by this Jonathan’s change in demeanor. I’ve shifted far enough that now that he’s looking at Jason, I’m out of Jonathan’s line of sight. I catch the sheriff’s eye and jerk my head towards Jonathan, making small ‘tackle’ gestures at the big man. I'd be much more comfortable with him down on the floor, but I'm not about to cut loose in front of the law without its say-so.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

This whole situation is just getting weirder and weirder. I may not know what the hell is going on, but I know I don’t want this Sheriff blindsiding Joe in the middle of reading that book. Plus I can’t remember if we put the grate back on. ”Sure thing Sheriff. Always happy to help.” I follow the sheriff towards the door, taking care to not move too quickly around the big man.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper

Its amazing, just as you think the poo poo is deep, the level rises again. There’s something in what the big man is saying that tickles the back of my brain, but that’s for later. Now its time to make sure that the boys, Detective Shaw, and Dakota get out of the poo poo in one piece. The big man is going to be a problem at some point, but for now he’s the only lead we’ve got.

I catch Jonathan’s eye in the rearview mirror. “I’m not exactly sure what’s going on here, but if folks are in trouble I’m here to help.” I give him an affirming nod, and then use the back window of the truck as a lookout. If we’re being followed, I want to know.

Keeping Lookout. Perception: 5d10o9h8 2

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper
I’m not liking the way our ‘pursuit’ is moving, but concentrating on that is better than listening to the madness Jonathan is spouting. At least I hope its madness. But its too similar, too close by far to the dreams that wake me up screaming. The ones I can't remember except for those that Keep, those that are Kept, and those that Walk the Edge.

I don’t like where this situation is going, and I don’t like where my dreams have gone. But I take comfort in the fact that soon I’ll have a shotgun. And a shotgun is a damned sight better than a tin badge and a cap-gun for keeping the gribblies at bay.

Maintaining lookout. Don’t want to be caught off guard

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Danny Cooper
I don’t want to ask what will happen if they leave town. Hell, it could be Jonathan fibbing, trying to keep his ‘daughter’ from getting away. But if we do rabbit, I want it to be together and with a plan, not just tear-assing into a blizzard. I open the window, letting in the ice. Wedging my legs against the front and back seats, I hang out the window, waving my arms and yelling for Joe to stop. After a minute or two I sit back down since Joe hasn’t stopped.

“poo poo that’s cold! Wait, the horn. Four fast, one long, four fast again. ‘Here To Help'.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe

Aw poo poo. I was hoping that this Jonathan fellow would wait longer before losing it, but it is what it is. Hopefully we can at least keep him from killing us all. I lean forward between the seats and put a hand on his shoulder. Catching his eye in the mirror, I use my best 'gonna be trouble' voices. "I don't know what badness is out there, but I *do* know that I'll snap your Goddamned neck before I let you get us all killed playing Bullit. Ease. Off."

Presence+Intimidate+Willpower, 7 dice
Intimidating Jonathan: 7d10o9h8 0

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2018 around 22:38

• Locked thread