Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason had waited in the car while the other two did their shopping; there was a lot going on right now, and he needed the time to think away from the chatterbug watch repairman and Grizzly Adams. Deep down he knew it wasn't right to be mean to them because of things like that, but the jokes kept his spirits up, and it wasn't like he was going to call them that to their faces or anything. They had been the most helpful two on the forum outside of Toby, and to think they'd drive all the way out there for his niece was something he was having trouble comprehending.

The drive up was serene, and something Jason didn't know he had needed. The slow crunch of ice and snow under the tires of his Buick and just the gentle glint of the rising sun from the surrounding vistas did a lot for his spirit, to a point he almost regretted not letting Jay ride with him. Glancing in his rearview mirror and seeing the absolute exhaustion in his eyes, he stresses the 'almost' mentally.

Pulling up to the little motel, Jason digs his phone out to check the signal, grimacing at the horrible connection. He tucks the phone back into his jacket and kills the car, watching Jay and Danny emerge from the pick up. The psychologist chuckles to himself, pulling on a pair of gloves and flexing his fingers in them before climbing out. He glances over to the cop car out of curiosity, before smiling broadly at the man coming out.

"Good morning!"

Just greeting the guy politely. Linked to my sheet with my character name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Internally, Jason winces at how absolutely awkward Joe is making things. Externally, he keeps his cool, chuckling as he steps forward and shaking his head. "I think he means me, Joe. I'm Jason Vandermeer; I'm the uncle of the little girl that went missing a few years back. Our family's faces were all over the place." He extends his hand warmly towards the sherrif. "A pleasure to meet you, Sheriff Young. You'll have to forgive Joe, the roads were a bit vicious on the way up here and he's not used to riding with someone so accustomed to them, so the adrenaline is affecting his already unique sense of humor."

"But good lord, a room with two queen sized bed? That's a family suite. How much does that usually set someone back?" He shakes his head again, smiling wryly. "Oh! And separate rooms would be preferable, if you have the space." He gives Joe and Danny a shrug. "No offense, gentlemen."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason nods appreciatively to the clerk and takes his key, giving the guy a handshake. "Thanks again. Once we get settled in, I might need to pick your brain on the good places to eat around here." He gives Joel a grin and tucks the key to his room into his pocket, following Joe and Danny into their shared room. For a moment, he watches the two of them poke around the room with mild bemusement, leaning in the doorway as they peer behind paintings and the like.

"I'm going to go and knock on Toby's door and see what we stir up; this place seems pretty backwater so maybe he just ran out of data or the weather and location is messing with his ability to keep a stable connection. Hopefully we're lucky." With that, Jason chuckles and straightens, heading over to Toby's door and knocking on it.

taking the path of least resistance

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason waits outside the room for a hair longer than would be rational before giving up, heaving a massive sigh as he does and running a hand through his hair. Of course, it'd have been too easy for Toby to just be in his room. When were things ever easy?

He steps back to the room Joe and Danny plan to share and is about to knock on the doorframe to get their attention when he notices they'd found something. Raising his eyebrows, he steps into the room and shuts the door behind him. "Whoa, did you guys actually find something?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason blinks, taking the notepad and skimming it for a moment as he listens to Danny speak. What he reads is troubling, indeed, and Jason's face sinks slightly for it all. He flips the page, his eyes tracing over the handwriting as he takes his time taking in what the man has written.

The psychologist sighs, rubbing his chin before sitting down hard on the bed. "Yeah, this.. this doesn't look too good." He glances back at Joe, who seems to be engrossed in a book of his own; Jason considers speaking directly to Joe but sees the determination and focus in the man's eyes.

"Maybe.. maybe I can glean something from this. Maybe, I dunno. Get an idea for his frame of mind and what the dreams might mean." He closes the steno pad and starts back at the beginning, taking to Toby's musings with a more clinical mind. He'd done dream interpretations before. He'd listened to men like Toby rant and rave and he had helped put them on a path before by helping identify what they meant and where they needed to go.

It was possible he could do the same for Toby here and now, and maybe figure out where he went with it all.

Trying to interpret Toby's dreams and maybe figure out where he went based on his ravings.

Int+Academics (Psychology Specialty): 6d10o9h8 3

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

"Well.." Jason flips the stenopad closed, shaking his head. "If you wanted my professional opinion on this, I'd say Toby is a schizophrenic who got off his meds. But I'd also have to tell you the progression was far too incredibly fast; there was absolutely no sign of it before and then.. boom." He looks at the pad in his hand for a moment before looking past Danny towards Joe; after a moment, he tucks the stenopad into an interior coat pocket before giving Danny a wry grin. "Joe can work on his book a little longer. Plus it'd help to have someone here in case Toby did come back to his room. Lunch sounds great. and we'll take my car. Grab your coat; some food on our stomachs might help us think about what's going on here. We've still got a lot of daylight to poke around before we need to actually crash for the night, and I figure we can check the local Walmart or whatever they have and ask about Toby."

"Plus, I can pick up a book or two while we're there so I don't lose my mind tonight with basic cable in the middle of nowhere."
Jason chuckles, pulling his keys from his pocket. "What're you in the mood for?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

"Nah. He seems like a good enough guy. We can poke around in the general store later, I rather have something hot in my stomach right now." Jason carefully maneuvers through the streets to head back to the Roadhouse, and pulls in wherever he can find a non-handicapped spot. Turning the car off, he stretches his back in the seat with a grunt and gives Danny a sideways glance.

"Little odd how everything around here is shut down. It might be a sore point for the town or it might just be off-season, but we might want to be tactful if we decide to press on it. Weather looks like it's gonna turn bad, though, so I think we're gonna be back at the hotel before too long. I don't want to have to walk or drive through a blizzard."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason takes the seat offered him across from the sheriff and sits, giving a contented sigh as he relaxes a bit. "Well, sheriff, hearing you talk this place up, we had to give it a shot. Thank you kindly for the stew, if we're here long enough, remind me to buy you lunch as a real thanks/" Jason grins, resting his elbows on the table and leaning forward a bit. "And it seems like you're enjoying your cup there, so I'll definitely have the coffee. Might warm these bones and wake me up a bit."

"So, that the lamb stew here? Looks mighty good to me." Jason makes small talk for a moment with the sheriff as he glances around, taking in the decor of the Roadhouse and listening to the music a bit. "This your usual haunt for lunchtime work?" He nods towards the laptop and folder, chuckling. "As peaceful as this town seems, I have to imagine most of that must be county work."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

The psychologist raises an eyebrow; for just a moment there, the sheriff had reacted very badly to absolutely nothing at all. The tightening of his jawline, the glare in his eye, and his entire body language.. something had apparently just occurred to the man, and it was certainly a bit odd. Jason glances at his coffee curiously for a moment before speaking, his voice calming and soothing. He didn't know what set the man off, but Jason suspected some sort of PTSD; it was common in law enforcement, after all,

"Is everything okay, Sheriff Young? You look like you just remembered something unpleasant. Will you be alright?"

Empathy (Calming) Roll: 7d10o9h8 2

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

The psychiatrist nods slightly and scratches at his beard in thought. The sheriff's reactions were a little odd and he couldn't imagine why he'd seem like he just remembered the stove was on and then turn giddy. For the moment, Jason just chalks it up to stress, and is about to dig into his stew when the man busts in screaming about how someone has been taken.

Jason gives Danny a glance, seeing he's on edge as well, and takes a deep breath. There was already law enforcement here, but if the man was hysterical, he might need a professional touch. Keeping his voice low, Jason speaks to Young. "Looks like you're really taking a working lunch now. Let me know if you need help calming this gentleman; I've worked alongside law enforcement before with hysterical family members before, trust me." He grins with dry amusement, before settling in to watch what happens, his stew steaming away in front of him.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

The lack of reaction from the bar is strange, and something Jason notes down in his head. Was this a common occurrence? Is Megan a wayward girlfriend or wife? At the moment, these questions didn't really matter, since the behemoth of a man was just about lifting the good sheriff by his lapels.

"Hey, hey, Johnathan, right?" Jason keeps his voice soft, glancing between the sheriff and Johnathan. "My name's Jason, I'm a psychiatrist. I respect that you're under quite a lot of stress right now, and I pray with you that Megan is okay, but out of concern for your well being I must remind you that Sheriff Young is an officer of the law. He seems a very kind and caring man and may not hold your emotions against you, but it would be for the best if we all took a moment to take a deep breath and gather our heads."

Empathy (Calming) Roll: 7d10o9h8 2

For being the thing he's best at Jason sure can't calm anyone down easily

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

The psychologist looks up at the mountain of a man, taking a half-step back. "Yes, I'm Dr. Jason Vandermeer. I'm from out in Denver, Johnathan. I know the kind of stress you're under, someone taking your daughter.. my niece was abducted several years ago. We never found her." Jason takes a slow, deep breath, his hands at his sides, as he keeps talking calmly. "So let's have a seat, John. The sheriff can get to work, get his deputies involved. You and I will just get in his way. The coffee and beer are real good here, so I'm told. You got a favorite here?"

Jason was trying to engage the man in conversation, take his mind off the stress of the moment. He shot a very fast glare to Danny for his tackle gestures, hoping Johnathan wouldn't notice; there wasn't much even Danny and the sheriff could do to such a mountainous man, and the last thing they need is an enraged and distraught hunter. "We have a friend with us, who's resting back at the hotel right now. We ought to go fetch him; if there's a missing little girl, we can probably help look for her, if need be, and he'd be a tremendous help."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

Funny. The sheriff doesn't seem too concerned about all this. Jason gives Danny's sleeve a tug and nods towards Johnathan. "Let's follow him. The sheriff has things covered here." Regardless, Jason hurries after Johnathan, his mind racing. This whole situation was weird. The sheriff was practically treating this as an embarrassment for the big man, as if it was all a huge joke.

Something just wasn't right.

"Johnathan!" He gives the man a second to stop, getting as close as he can so he can speak softly. "Has this happened before? What in the world is going on? The sheriff just seemed so.. off.. about all of this."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason Vandermeer

Jason tenses at the mention of the Golden Hare, and listens intently as Johnathan talks; when he makes strange noises in place of words in the middle of a sentence, he casts a fearful glance towards Danny. This was all a lot of bad poo poo.

For a moment, Jason can't even think. Some aspects of Johnathan's story just.. he shakes his head slightly. "You said Megan's NOT your daughter by blood? That she just came here?" The man can't hide a little bit of hope in his voice, and he doesn't know if Danny caught on to it all as well. "Nevermind all that. You mentioned the Golden Hare. Is that what brought her here?"

He steals a glance behind them with Danny before turning fully in his seat to face Johnathan. "Johnathan, listen to me, big guy. If there's danger, if we can't trust the police, I.." He trails off, his mind racing a million miles a minute. He finally takes a slow, deep breath. "We're here to help. You just need to tell us more, John. Tell us about the tests, the hare, everything relevant. We need to know what we're up against."

Persuasion (Professional Skill): 5d10o9h8 1

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 18:11

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

Jason listens intently for a minute and sits back in his seat, staring forward as Johnathan continues to talk. It all sounded so insane. What was the noise he kept making? Was it a name? Was he aware he was making the noise? The whole town seemed off but what if they'd just gotten in a car with a madman? What if it lead to Dakota?

There were far, far too many what if's in this situation, and Jason didn't like it. He glances towards Danny, and wishes there was a way the two of them could privately communicate to sort this out. Did any of this make sense to him? Texting and typing seemed like a good idea, if Johnathan didn't peek, but he wasn't sure that even if there was cell service out here that Danny HAD a phone.

Looks like all he can do is ride along and see what happens. He didn't like this one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Allergic to Seinfeld.

Jason

poo poo. Jonathan was either gonna get him and Danny killed, or kill his niece and Joe. He was panicked, and there was no time to calm him down. When Danny reaches forward, Jason silently prays that this won't end badly, and at the same time snakes his arm out to try and turn the key to shut the engine off and kill Jonathan's speed.

Assuming Dexterity+Subterfuge since I'm using Danny's intimidation to cover up. That's 4 dice, plus I want to use Willpower.

Turn the Engine off (Dex+Sub): 4d10h9 2

So three successes with the use of willpower.

e: I used Willpower wrong; I thought it added an auto success but I think that's oWoD. Oops. Rolling the extra dice.

Willpower Dice: 3d10h9 1

annnnd result is still 3 successes, nice

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Aug 14, 2018 around 16:13

• Locked thread