Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Eat my entire rear end, Tom Brady

All of it

He's too busy eating his dad's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/atlhawks/status/960352230472855553

e:

https://twitter.com/danwetzel/status/960364228375994373

brady is gonna get cucked

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

you're still losers, hotlanta

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/291211539535519744

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Eric the Mauve posted:

If this is true it's only because Belichick promised Jimmy he'd be the starter next year and Kraft forced him to break his promise

Still not sure I buy all that, though

I mean, I do blame Brady/Kraft to the extent that they made Bill trade Jimmy. But Bill reacting not only with trading him for a song, then benching Butler in the superbowl, is unconscionable.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Guys I did it. I counted Touchdown Tom out and look what happened.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Unless you really believe in Brady’s quack science, it’s pretty rich to assume that odds are better than even that Tawm will play at this level again next season.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

the devil has come to collect, pats

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Petey posted:

in fact my developing Take is that the Patriots should fire Bill Belichick, should he not (as PFT reported earlier today) already be planning to retire.

The reason being not that he is bad, or that the game has passed him by, but instead that his hubris, and putting his own legacy in front of that of his team, has reached the point of being actively counterproductive, costing the Pats both this present Superb Owl (by benching a healthy Malcolm Butler) and their future resources (by trading JimmyG to the 49ers primarily to set him up for success rather than maximizing return).

We won't find a better coach than him -- there is no better coach than him -- but we may find a coach who is less likely to self-sabotage and net out with a higher expected value at least while Brady is still performing at this level.

Will I feel differently in the morning? Maybe, but I doubt it; this take is too hot to simply cool off overnight.

source your quotes

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

fsif posted:

Unless you really believe in Brady’s quack science, it’s pretty rich to assume that odds are better than even that Tawm will play at this level again next season.

tom will accidentally eat a raisin and lose all movement in at least one limb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
does anybody know what the Butler benching was actually about

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Personally I think Belichick sending Jimmy G to the 49ers and the benching Butler for the Super Bowl thing don't add up to sabotage but they do smell like the actions of a guy who knows he isn't coming back next year

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

On the other hand, more teams than just the Patriots have been rumored to be reluctant to deal with the Browns even with the potential of great deals and it is hard to blame them after the McCarron fiasco and the insane decision making structure the organization has. Not to mention the fact that the NFL clearly isn’t devoid of relationships and you can’t be sure if the Browns organization you made a trade with will survive the year.

Anyway, as the coaches take the blame, Brady will end up getting too much credit in this loss for what amounted to facing some very soft coverage and blown coverages, having Gronk, and being behind a line that will never get offensive holding called on them.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 5, 2018

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

indigi posted:

the initial rumor was that he missed a team plane but that was later reported to be intentional bc he had the flu

after the game reiss asked him if he had a reason for being benched and he said "no, they gave up on me" before ending the interview.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

indigi posted:

he probably had a bad week of practice or was hiding an injury, pats fans can chime in but i thought he was always just OK with that one crazy int

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

Anyway, as the coaches take the blame, Brady will end up get too much credit in this loss for what amounted to facing some very soft coverage and blown coverages, having Gronk, and being behind a line that will never get offensive holding called on them.

Most people I know are mad at Brady because of the fumble (and dropped pass), which is dumb; it happened at a dramatic and inopportune time, but he was great given his limited weapons.

The eagles played an outstanding offensive game that was as aggressive as they needed to be, and Bill hosed it up by failing to play arguably their second best defensive player even as they got torched by WRs all night.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Petey posted:

the initial rumor was that he missed a team plane but that was later reported to be intentional bc he had the flu

after the game reiss asked him if he had a reason for being benched and he said "no, they gave up on me" before ending the interview.

I feel like there must have been something pretty significant going on if he got benched on Super Bowl game day. Belichick doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be stupid for no reason, he usually wins by letting the other team do that

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Master Stur posted:

he probably had a bad week of practice or was hiding an injury, pats fans can chime in but i thought he was always just OK with that one crazy int

Butler was great last year and only better-than-average this year but he is worlds better than the literal free agent JAGs Bill played over him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Nothing explains the Butler benching. You could justify him not starting the game maybe. But not putting him in when it was beyond clear that the defense could not stop a nose bleed and things were desperate is absolutely unexplainable. Holy gently caress it makes me so mad.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The Pats were near unstoppable on offense, they had basically one bad play all night. Saying Brady wasn't great would be some revisionist crap. It was a really strange way for a Belichick team to lose, really bad special teams and a defense that couldn't get off the field.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Petey posted:

"Flu" has been sports code for drunk/hungover since like the McKinley Administration. Something alcohol/partying related happened last weekend 100%

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nothing explains the Butler benching. You could justify him not starting the game maybe. But not putting him in when it was beyond clear that the defense could not stop a nose bleed and things were desperate is absolutely unexplainable. Holy gently caress it makes me so mad.

The Marvin Lewis gambit on Ross :(

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

indigi posted:

I feel like there must have been something pretty significant going on if he got benched on Super Bowl game day. Belichick doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be stupid for no reason, he usually wins by letting the other team do that

I mean I'm sure more will come out but my strong intuition based on what has been reported is that there was a relatively minor disciplinary infraction and Bill decided that they were good enough to beat the Eagles without Butler and was arrogant enough to not change his mind the entire game.

According to @BostonSportsInf, Butler went from playing 90% of defensive snaps and 0% of ST snaps to 100% of ST snaps and 0% of defensive snaps. It wasn't illness, it was intentional, and it was unconscionable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Time for my first TFF post in a REALLY long time

How likely is it Butler gets traded, just for the Pats having to avoid talking about this ever again

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Maybe he legitimately did something bad and Belichick took a principled stand

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly it's a real good bet that Butler did in fact miss the team plane due to overdrinking -> oversleeping and then failed to be appropriately contrite about it. It's probably exactly what it looks like.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

like the only thing i can imagine is like he hosed bill's wife or something

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Time for my first TFF post in a REALLY long time

How likely is it Butler gets traded, just for the Pats having to avoid talking about this ever again

he's absolutely gone now rofl

i'd toxx on that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I seem to remember the Pats winning a SB with Troy Brown as a nickel CB due to injuries, guess they weren't gonna get away with that poo poo twice

I agree that subbing him at halftime was the correct call but Belichick strikes me as mule-like in his stubbornness

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zyla posted:

he's absolutely gone now rofl

i'd toxx on that

Not if Belichick is gone, so I wouldn't do that if I were you

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Zyla posted:

like the only thing i can imagine is like he hosed bill's wife or something

isnt bill in favor of loving other peoples wives

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

he's a free agent and they were trying to trade him last offseason, there's zero chance he's back in a patriots uniform. i don't know what he did to bill but bill clearly hates him to the point of unreason.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

im very happy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wyoak posted:

The Pats were near unstoppable on offense, they had basically one bad play all night. Saying Brady wasn't great would be some revisionist crap. It was a really strange way for a Belichick team to lose, really bad special teams and a defense that couldn't get off the field.

Brady threw four passes that were dropped by the Eagles' awful DBs

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

indigi posted:

i thought the eagles dbs played incredibly well aside from a few blown plays

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

I only remember one and it was in desperation time but that's possible

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fans of every team ever except maybe the 2000-2002 Ravens and 2013-2016 Seahawks think their secondary sucks.

NFL defensive backs are defensive backs because they can't catch, if they could catch they'd be wide receivers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zyla posted:

i thought the eagles dbs played incredibly well aside from a few blown plays

they tackled well after the catch and made a few huge plays against Gronk in the first half but they were playing the WRs super soft and, like I said, dropped four picks. even if you only call it two, they take one of those back to the offense and the game is a lot more cofortable

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I'm not nearly as upset as I was after the Giants losses, but I'm a great deal angrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fans of every team ever except maybe the 2000-2002 Ravens and 2013-2016 Seahawks think their secondary sucks.

NFL defensive backs are defensive backs because they can't catch, if they could catch they'd be wide receivers

in my mind there's prime revis and deion then a massive 2-4 tier drop off