Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

James Woods Fan posted:

Judging by how cheap looking the actual Cloverfield related bits look (and the fact that nobody in the more expensive looking space movie actually mentions the word Cloverfield when talking about the station or the paradox) I am going to guess that after JJ Abrahams got his hands on God Particle he had those bits shot.

I thought someone on the station does mention the Cloverfield Paradox at one point. But might be misremembering (and I somehow didn't catch that only the radio/news voices call it Cloverfield Station).

It was painfully obvious that the Earth subplot was tacked on later on, though. It doesn't serve any real purpose other than adding some (very cheap) Cloverfield-y scenes, and actually undermines tension in the main plot (by revealing early on that the "main" Earth is still there).

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FoneBone posted:

I thought someone on the station does mention the Cloverfield Paradox at one point. But might be misremembering (and I somehow didn't catch that only the radio/news voices call it Cloverfield Station).

It was painfully obvious that the Earth subplot was tacked on later on, though. It doesn't serve any real purpose other than adding some (very cheap) Cloverfield-y scenes, and actually undermines tension main plot (by revealing early on that the "main" Earth is still there).

You're correct, Schmidt explicitly mentions the Cloverfield Paradox, and right before the attempt to charge their machine again he's watching a TV news interview with the author of the book.

The funny thing though is that the 'tacked on' connection to Cloverfield is actually the only part of the movie where the apparent breakdown of the space-time continuum is well-executed. It's impossible to ignore how literally every other contrivance that the protagonists face only occurs to very briefly impede their progress before it's immediately forgotten and whatever characters are left just go about rescuing the station and returning to their own universe. The Cloverfield monsters are the only sustained corruption of the symbolic order, whereas everything else is just a hackneyed 'weird thing' that only drags out the plot while fundamentally affecting nothing in how the characters are forced to interpret and interact with the world around them.

As an example, we are explicitly shown through the disembodiment and autonomy of Mundy's arm that one consequence of space-time being corrupted is that new hybrid characters spontaneously emerge from the competing universes in an attempt to repair the paradox. Mundy's arm is not just his arm trying to reunify with him. It knows that the gyro is in Volkov's body, it's trying to help them get back to their own world and repair the break in space-time, it's almost like a demigod entity. But we only get a nominal development upon this theme when Tam is frozen so that she can be replaced by Mina. Meanwhile, Schmidt, a character who has the most obvious potential for a horrific existential crisis - where he can't remember if he's trying to help the crew or if he's a traitor - just ponces along like nothing happened, Volkov has simply 'gone crazy,' Kiel just has 'bad information.'

It's a film where nothing happens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I liked how everyone communicated and never went full freak out (to the point of impeding everyone else) with the exception of the Russian dude. As soon as freaky poo poo started happening, everyone moved in pairs or immediately radio for help. Even the German dude (after being accused) immediately calls everyone else to see the hand. Almost felt like the crew actually worked as a crew to deal with poo poo instead of everyone slowly getting picked off 1 by 1.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They kept telegraphing the putty shaping itself after Mundy shocks it with a tool.

Small wonder the putty gets magnetic intelligence and lashes out at its only tormentor.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I liked it as a dumb action movie (because let’s be real the only good movie in the franchise is 10 Cloverfield lane and even that one gets a bit wacky at the end).

Two things I just wish they expanded a bit on: what the gently caress was up with Volkov and the worms and who was he talking to in the mirror? Was it himself from a different dimension? The worms????? Why the gently caress was the thing in his stomach lmao.

Why did the ship eat Mundy’s arm and then why did the metal poo poo just like eat him alive.

It was fun but yeah, the more you think about it the dumber it gets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I liked it as a dumb action movie (because let’s be real the only good movie in the franchise is 10 Cloverfield lane and even that one gets a bit wacky at the end).

Two things I just wish they expanded a bit on: what the gently caress was up with Volkov and the worms and who was he talking to in the mirror? Was it himself from a different dimension? The worms????? Why the gently caress was the thing in his stomach lmao.

Why did the ship eat Mundy’s arm and then why did the metal poo poo just like eat him alive.

It was fun but yeah, the more you think about it the dumber it gets.

Not that this is necessarily a satisfying explanation, but the movie presents it as the other dimension treating the characters almost like a white blood cell in our bodies. It somehow knows that they don't belong there and it's attacking them because their presence is a threat to itself(in this case "itself" is an entire dimension of reality).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Not that this is necessarily a satisfying explanation, but the movie presents it as the other dimension treating the characters almost like a white blood cell in our bodies. It somehow knows that they don't belong there and it's attacking them because their presence is a threat to itself(in this case "itself" is an entire dimension of reality).

I got that after I watched the movie actually I just thought the way these specific characters were handled it was just kinda a mess. Like they wanted some really cool + hosed up thing for them but it ends up being half baked.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

This made the protagonist's original plan seem really stupid. t'd probably take the better part of a year to pull it off depending on how fast their sci-fi escape pods travel.

Also what the gently caress was Earth 2 lady going to do with a space station 290 million miles from earth with (after she killed everyone) maybe 2 hours of oxygen.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I liked how everyone communicated and never went full freak out (to the point of impeding everyone else) with the exception of the Russian dude. As soon as freaky poo poo started happening, everyone moved in pairs or immediately radio for help. Even the German dude (after being accused) immediately calls everyone else to see the hand. Almost felt like the crew actually worked as a crew to deal with poo poo instead of everyone slowly getting picked off 1 by 1.

I would like to point out that he had been locked away while Chris Dowd lost his arm so he is freed from his prison by ship magic, sees an arm crawling across the deck and calmly calls everyone on the radio to see it rather than flipping his poo poo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I still want a mockumentary about the Cloverfield attack done in the style of those 9/11 ten years later things that were popping up in 2011 on the History channel.

This but make it a Loose Change style documentary debating that the monster attack was just a false flag operation

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

This but make it a Loose Change style documentary debating that the monster attack was just a false flag operation

In 2008 Hillary Clinton and the Bilderberg group took DMT and communed with machine elves who gave them the plans to create the shepard device.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This movie wrote checks that it couldn't cash with all the spooky space happenings. It established like half a dozen space horror premises, and only came up with an explanation that satisfied a couple of them. And then in the back half, the less coherent threats disappear; no one really finds themselves worrying about being eaten by wall portals or driven mad by worms, even though these are very dangerous/frightening things to have happening on your space station.

This needed rewrites, and I'm not talking about the ones that were made to tie it into the Cloververse.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vishass posted:

Also what the gently caress was Earth 2 lady going to do with a space station 290 million miles from earth with (after she killed everyone) maybe 2 hours of oxygen. .

Same as the Earth 1 crew was going to do, which they directly mentioned: successfully activate the Shepherd, use some of your now-infinite energy to power the oxygen generators. Getting to Earth 2, same drop in the bucket.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

This movie wrote checks that it couldn't cash with all the spooky space happenings. It established like half a dozen space horror premises, and only came up with an explanation that satisfied a couple of them. And then in the back half, the less coherent threats disappear; no one really finds themselves worrying about being eaten by wall portals or driven mad by worms, even though these are very dangerous/frightening things to have happening on your space station.

This needed rewrites, and I'm not talking about the ones that were made to tie it into the Cloververse.

Yeah, what a mess. It was a mostly entertaining mess, but still. Lots of weird stuff going on that didn't follow the movie's own logic. Yes, there are multiple universes present, but nothing as a reason why a wall will use its decorative angles as joints to grab a dude's arm, or why a guy would suddenly start hearing voices, or any of the other extremely supernatural stuff. And I was going to write the same thing: no one seems at all disturbed about the crazy poo poo happening, they sometimes don't even panic while it's happening. Characters are like horror movie victims, except the main woman has some backstory. She certainly didn't seem like someone who lost her kids in a fire not too long ago until it was plot relevant, either.

I didn't see 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I have a suspicion that the little girl the husband finds is related to it? I can't think of any other reason for those few minutes of screentime finding her family other than an easter egg of some sort.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane better. I wish they had done more with reality loving up in this movie. The cloverfield monster at the end was cool and all but I'm ready for Godzilla to show up and kick its rear end; that's probably going to be Cloverfield 5. I hope this thread lives up to the 10 Cloverfield Lane one and has somebody arguing about basic details of the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LifeLynx posted:

I didn't see 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I have a suspicion that the little girl the husband finds is related to it? I can't think of any other reason for those few minutes of screentime finding her family other than an easter egg of some sort.
Nah, that has nothing to do with 10 Cloverfield Lane.

You should see that film though, as its a genuinely good film in its own right (Even if it has a flawed ending). Way better than Paradox at any rate.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Your suspicion is incorrect.

edit: :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I kinda hate the fact that Abrams has to package an anthology series this way to satisfy obsessive nerds instead of just being free to make all different kinds unconnected stories under the Cloverfield name. It almost seems like he was trying to establish that idea with 10 Cloverfield Lane and people still bent over backwards to try to connect it to the monster from the original so now he was just like "gently caress it, lets give them a quick origin story movie so we can move on to what we really wanna do."

Serling did a quick 15 second intro that explained that you're entering the Twilight Zone, bam job done no need to spend millions on it.

yeah this movie loving sucks. idk if Cloverfield Lane was a spec script that had "Cloverfield" shoved into it but this God Particle/Cellar movie was absolutely an independent thing until they decided to loving stuff all this worthless "Cloverfield" poo poo into it. Like what the gently caress is the point in ruining a script with even more poo poo just for the sake of connecting it poorly to the other movies? Just write your own poo poo, christ Abrams is garbage.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Volstok wasn't crazy, he was simultaneously both people from both universes. Thats how he knew the other guy betrayed the team. Now the worms bit and gyro detail, that you got me, but hey, cross dimensional travel is loving weird poo poo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Knifegrab posted:

Volstok wasn't crazy, he was simultaneously both people from both universes. Thats how he knew the other guy betrayed the team. Now the worms bit and gyro detail, that you got me, but hey, cross dimensional travel is loving weird poo poo.

Well, no. Volstok already believes that Schmidt is a traitor, there's even an entire scene at the beginning where he accuses him of subverting their mission while Russians starve. They end up in parallel universe where this was actually the case (both parallel Volstok and Schmidt being dead), and with that confirmation Volstok determines to kill Schmidt. Not long after, Kiel makes the same mistake and imprisons Schmidt, but Kiel is also obviously not simultaneously two people from two universes. That would have actually been interesting, but then necessarily the characters would have had to behave in self-contradictory and non-lucid ways. And given the standard by which any non-objective character behaviors are declared "stupid" (i.e. Life, Prometheus), the filmmakers seem to have avoided this potential so as not to confuse the spectator.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The monster showing up at the end dropped it to a 2.5/5 for me. What an utterly pointless and unnecessary stinger to an already mediocre movie.

Gaunab posted:

I hope this thread lives up to the 10 Cloverfield Lane one and has somebody arguing about basic details of the movie.

MisterBibs is here and ready to shine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

And given the standard by which any non-objective character behaviors are declared "stupid" (i.e. Life, Prometheus), the filmmakers seem to have avoided this potential so as not to confuse the spectator.

I don't like when I have to think while eating.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Anyone think there's any relevance to Suzanne Cryer showing up in Paradox as the newscaster and Lane as the lady outside the bunker whose face melts? Probably just casting being lazy but maybe not.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

K. Waste posted:

Well, no. Volstok already believes that Schmidt is a traitor, there's even an entire scene at the beginning where he accuses him of subverting their mission while Russians starve. They end up in parallel universe where this was actually the case (both parallel Volstok and Schmidt being dead), and with that confirmation Volstok determines to kill Schmidt. Not long after, Kiel makes the same mistake and imprisons Schmidt, but Kiel is also obviously not simultaneously two people from two universes. That would have actually been interesting, but then necessarily the characters would have had to behave in self-contradictory and non-lucid ways. And given the standard by which any non-objective character behaviors are declared "stupid" (i.e. Life, Prometheus), the filmmakers seem to have avoided this potential so as not to confuse the spectator.

Volstok specifically references the BDM communications that only blonde antagonist lady knows. Volstok had his suspicions, but they are confirmed by alternate reality volstok (whom is he talking to in the mirror, and is controlling one of his eyes). He specifically references the alternate universe sabotage, not just implying that he thinks he's a traitor. Alternate universe Volstok supplied the actual deets of his alternate universe betrayal.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 5, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Volstock was almost like a message sent by the Universe B to the crew telling them "hey you better get the gently caress outta here, use this...."

It melds the two Volstock's together, and puts the worms inside him to demonstrate that things can be implanted in his body. A clue for later on to get them thinking about what else might be in there.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Clover field monsters should be added to all of Abrams movies if you ask me

Which nobody did.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Gaz2k21 posted:

Clover field monsters should be added to all of Abrams movies if you ask me

Which nobody did.

Just mash all the movies together.
Someone edit this into the ending of paradox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjeVqDY_Wek&t=18s

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The Cloverfield Paradox was kinda... there . Cribs some parts of event horizon , the weaker parts of sunshine where the movie thinks its a slasher, " meanwhile on earth" parts that feels tacked on ... it never comes together . After cloverfield lane which i really liked its a bit of a letdown , and its not even a fun thrill ride like the original cloverfield . Paradox needed to be way weirder and much less on the nose to stand out, and it wasn't .

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I liked the almost-telefrag when the woman was trapped in the wall. I'm a big fan of when teleportation-type stuff goes bad like that.

The rest of the movie is pretty mediocre though. They so obviously just tacked on the Cloverfield stuff way, way after the movie had been made that it's almost feels self-aware.

Pops Mgee posted:

Just mash all the movies together.
Someone edit this into the ending of paradox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjeVqDY_Wek&t=18s

lol these are probably the same clouds they used at the end of this movie.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 5, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Knifegrab posted:

Volstok specifically references the BDM communications that only blonde antagonist lady knows. Volstok had his suspicions, but they are confirmed by alternate reality volstok (whom is he talking to in the mirror, and is controlling one of his eyes). He specifically references the alternate universe sabotage, not just implying that he thinks he's a traitor. Alternate universe Volstok supplied the actual deets of his alternate universe betrayal.

Yeah, I forgot about him talking to himself in the mirror.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

What saying is that still doesn't work. Like the information we get doesn't line up at all. There's letting the audience fill in the blanks and there's having a a movie take place specifically in 2008 with a month between thing crashing into the ocean and the actual attack and another movie trying to line up despite taking place in the near future and having the monster attack immediately after things go wrong in space

Like I can accept K wastes unsatisfying but probably accurate explanation but these movies simply do not line up even with "well you can't say that wasn't happening". Yes there was not much to line up in the first place but they still didn't even try
The dude on the news shilling his book at the start of the movie specifically says that loving around with the accelerator could summon monsters and that it could happen "in the past, and the future."

The timeline absolutely doesn't have to add up. In this world, Cloverfield didn't happen in 2008.

The real crime is that only one character was likable and it was only because of the way he reacted to his severed arm writing poo poo down.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel like I would have liked this movie way more before it was a Cloverfield movie. IIRC the Earth disappears and eventually they started getting signals from another station.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Same as the Earth 1 crew was going to do, which they directly mentioned: successfully activate the Shepherd, use some of your now-infinite energy to power the oxygen generators. Getting to Earth 2, same drop in the bucket.

Yes, that was the plan specifically mentioned right BEFORE the scene where the oxygen generator exploded into space. Aside from the German's injuries, this is also the implied reason NASA said the survivors had to return to the surface asap. I believe they mention how much oxygen is left right after they lose the captain in the loose habitat ring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
10 Cloverfield Lane was clearly better but I thought this movie was super fun and engaging. Definitely excited for the next one, and I assume that the guy mentioning that the ripples in reality would go back and forward in time is the setup for why there's a giant monster in WW2

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

First half of the movie was pretty good. The 2nd half was just a tailspin of clichés, ending with a ridiculously corny, terrible CGI monster. Props to the scene where they find the blonde lady fused into the hull of the ship though, that gave me some serious Montauk Project vibes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
cloverfield is just a name they give to movies that would have been just bad, but then bad robot picks them up adds the cloverfield name and a few things. I liked it, it was loving hilarious and I wish the arm hadn't been forgotten about because they should have taken it home in the escape pod.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Arm best new character 2018

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
At the end when Elizabeth Debecki had shot German man and I thought he was dead, I thought the main lady would have to use the arm to do the simultaneous key turn. Was very upset it didn't happen, 2/10 would not bang this movie.

Am I right in thinking that everything on earth was added later when this became a Cloverfield movie?

edit because I hosed up spoiler spacing

garycoleisgod fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 6, 2018

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I just finished the movie and I’ll say that it is better than alien covenant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

garycoleisgod posted:

At the end when Elizabeth Debecki had shot German man and I thought he was dead, I thought the main lady would have to use the arm to do the simultaneous key turn. Was very upset it didn't happen, 2/10 would not bang this movie.

Am I right in thinking that everything on earth was added later when this became a Cloverfield movie?

edit because I hosed up spoiler spacing

This alone would have taken the movie from a 2/10 to an easy 7/10 for me. Goddamn, what a missed opportunity.

• Locked thread