Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This vid does an excellent job of explaining the connections between the three films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRl4kxkd0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SD87 posted:

I just finished the movie and I’ll say that it is better than alien covenant

Not even close.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

At the end when Elizabeth Debecki had shot German man and I thought he was dead, I thought the main lady would have to use the arm to do the simultaneous key turn. Was very upset it didn't happen, 2/10 would not bang this movie.

Goddamn I never would have thought of this but now I’m mad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the fact that I think they show the arm in the room during the final confrontation, and it doesn't come into play at all and the scene just sort of resolves itself with a thrown blunt object and a generic roll around on the floor struggle to grab a gun is honestly kind of infuriating

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So... do we have any idea why this got as weird of a release as it did?

I'm kind of wondering if the MPAA might have had something to do with it- this is not the type of movie that you'd typically want to release in theaters above a PG-13, as Life and Alien Covenant underperforming told everybody, and yet it's way, way gorier than either of the previous Cloverfield movies. Netflix, having no actual age restrictions, makes for an obvious place to drop something with that problem, instead of trying to haphazardly chop it down to appease the ratings board.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... do we have any idea why this got as weird of a release as it did?

I'm kind of wondering if the MPAA might have had something to do with it- this is not the type of movie that you'd typically want to release in theaters above a PG-13, as Life and Alien Covenant underperforming told everybody, and yet it's way, way gorier than either of the previous Cloverfield movies. Netflix, having no actual age restrictions, makes for an obvious place to drop something with that problem, instead of trying to haphazardly chop it down to appease the ratings board.

Yeah Paramount dropped it because they didn't think it was worth a theatrical release https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-talks-acquire-cloverfield-sequel-paramount-1077752

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

glam rock hamhock posted:

the fact that I think they show the arm in the room during the final . . . is honestly kind of infuriating

What did you think about it being sucked out into space and following Crazy girl in the shot?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah Paramount dropped it because they didn't think it was worth a theatrical release https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-talks-acquire-cloverfield-sequel-paramount-1077752

Right, but that's a pretty non-specific answer, and while that article has at least one theory on the deets (Abrams just straight up wasn't happy with the movie's quality), there's nothing concrete.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

SD87 posted:

Now there's some damning with faint praise if I ever read it.

I will at least give this movie credit for trying to do something interesting, since it does have some pretty cool, standout moments scattered thruout, but as has been noted already, the whole package doesn't go far enough and so just ends up feeling like a weak rehash of stuff that came before. Decent in its own right, but not really worth more than a single viewing when you can instead go and watch the other, better movies that it's cribbing from. So technically better than Prometheus: Covenant, tho sadly, I don't think that's a good thing in the long run, since it ends up stuck in the sad position of not being trashy enough to be memorable in its sheer badness, but also not well-crafted or original enough to claw its way out of the valley of mediocrity.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

James Woods Fan posted:

Judging by how cheap looking the actual Cloverfield related bits look (and the fact that nobody in the more expensive looking space movie actually mentions the word Cloverfield when talking about the station or the paradox) I am going to guess that after JJ Abrahams got his hands on God Particle he had those bits shot.

I noticed that in several shots, they had the word “Helios” where in other places it would say “Cloverfield”. I’m guessing that was the original name of the station and they couldn’t/didn’t bother to change everything.

I thought the movie was OK. Straight to Netflix is the perfect place for it though. Definitely would not have seen this in a theater.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I would have liked it better if they ran with the 'oh gently caress earth disappeared' thing. Imagine how utterly hosed you'd feel if you were marooned on a space station and weird poo poo is happening and earth is just gone.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Bishop posted:

Now there's some damning with faint praise if I ever read it.

I will at least give this movie credit for trying to do something interesting, since it does have some pretty cool, standout moments scattered thruout, but as has been noted already, the whole package doesn't go far enough and so just ends up feeling like a weak rehash of stuff that came before. Decent in its own right, but not really worth more than a single viewing when you can instead go and watch the other, better movies that it's cribbing from. So technically better than Prometheus: Covenant, tho sadly, I don't think that's a good thing in the long run, since it ends up stuck in the sad position of not being trashy enough to be memorable in its sheer badness, but also not well-crafted or original enough to claw its way out of the valley of mediocrity.

It tried. There re some good ideas in here, but they didn't run with it. The arm should have had more stuff to do. More insane hazards like having a wall grab your arm would have been good. Having Schmidt not being able to remember what his real orders are would have been nice.

Paramount was right, I enjoyed this on a streaming service, but i would have been furious at paying full price for this.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

:laffo: this movie was so loving bad. The only good things I can say are that it was fun to laugh at how bad it was, and that I didn't have to drive to a theater and pay money to see it.

Also, the 3D printer and the magic metal putty were neat. Until the magic metal putty turns into a tentacle monster for no reason.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 6, 2018

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

So did the big scary monster eat the escape pod at the end of the movie or what?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a thread of comments on a Letterboxd "review" from when it was test screening as God Particle (the review is just that they went and couldn't talk about it.)
https://letterboxd.com/jamesbond007/film/the-cloverfield-paradox/
People jumped on since yesterday trying to get details on what was different and somebody else popped in with:
"I went to the test screening. There is no Cloverfield monster. It just shows them landing on Earth. There is absolutely no reference to the Cloververse."
Maybe in September everything was there, B-story and all, except for an alternate last shot, name of the station and maybe the insert of the Slusho bobblehead (though Bad Robot movies all have the easter eggs anyway.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 6, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

So it turns out that the reason the cloverfield movies happen is because someone somewhere pressed the "start monster movie" button.

As in, a doomsaying fringe scientist popped up to say:

'If you turn on this mcguffin, monsters happen everywhere.

And I don't mean "it will start a unforeseen chain of events may result in the the somewhat-unscientific-but-logically-internally-coherent unfurling of a disaster." I mean, don't do this unless you really want to see some monsters and space body horror stuff.

Oh and *literally* everywhere too, so if any future movies in this franchise don't line up it doesent have to make sense, assume they're happening in another universe or something. Just, monsters loving everywhere.

No don't ask me how I know the end result of this is monsters, I'm a movie scientist with an above average amount of genre awareness and trust me: ill fated science experiment = monsters'

It's the weirdest, laziest application of a shared universe concept I've ever seen.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 6, 2018

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Honestly their failure at the end to show the arm and have NOTHING HAPPEN with it really kills any good feelings I have. Thats such an opportunity wasted. Main character throws the arm at the blonde and it chokes her out, gun and arm fall to the ground and the arm gets the gun and starts shooting wildly, etc. such a waste.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SD87 posted:

lol extremely low bar

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Alien Covenant is way, way better than this movie. They aren't even in the same league.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Alien Covenant is way, way better than this movie. They aren't even in the same league.
Covenant is hardly my favorite film or anything but yeah it's way better than Cloverfield Paradox.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This movie was so bad. This was on par with SyFy Alligatornado bad.

It had a great start, and the cast was engaging, but then it wasn't sure if it wanted to do its own thing or ape Event Horizon. Then it just gave up and was dumb and bad and dumb bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Covenant is hardly my favorite film or anything but yeah it's way better than Cloverfield Paradox.

Oh yea, I'm of the opinion that Covenant is a step down from Prometheus and therefore a bunch of steps down from Alien, BUT it's still great looking and has many compelling scenes. Cloverfield Paradox is extremely amateurish by comparison, which isn't really much of an insult because Ridley Scott is a Mount Rushmore level sci-fi director. So the comparison is a bit ridiculous.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm guessing no one is going to fight over Cloverfield 4 anymore.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alien Covenant is not good but even if you hate everything about the plot you can feel the production values at least.

This movie had a rotating-rings-for-artifical-gravity spaceship but the walls were the outer edge of the ring.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The connections between the movies are pretty meh if you ask me. And i really liked the first two. I'm not sure what the point of having them even be related is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

massive spider posted:

Alien Covenant is not good but even if you hate everything about the plot you can feel the production values at least.

This movie had a rotating-rings-for-artifical-gravity spaceship but the walls were the outer edge of the ring.

That really bugged me

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The connections between the movies are pretty meh if you ask me. And i really liked the first two. I'm not sure what the point of having them even be related is.

No one would have watched this movie if it didn't have the Cloverfield name. That's the point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RCarr posted:

No one would have watched this movie if it didn't have the Cloverfield name. That's the point.

I guess that is true...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm a movie apologist. I enjoy pretty much anything, and it makes my life pretty easy and entertaining.

This movie was not good.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The problem I have with both 10 Cloverfield Lane and this new "Paradox" movie is that both films were shot/filmed with no intention of being in the Clover universe and because of a few re-shoots and post-production moments, they're suddenly a part. 10 Cloverfield Lane was actually really good, whether or not it was connected to the Cloverfield universe so trying to shoehorn Cloverfield in was silly to me. This latest installment was not a good film and again, anything Clover related seemed very tacked on.

The Superbowl ad gave me the impression that we were going to see the 2008 events from a different perspective (there were cuts of the explosion being seen by two different angles) but then we get this 20 minutes into the future thing. I'll add to the chorus that the film started off as Event Horizon and ended up as generic schlock. It was completely arbitrary when bad things happened and there was little/no payoff for a lot of the setup. The clover monster at the end felt hastily added in and added nothing. The crazy doomsday predictor at the beginning couldn't have been more on the nose and was also likely added in post-production.

If the 4th installment actually has the Cloverfield universe in mind from the start (rather than adding it in to generate a few more bucks), I'll consider seeing it but Paradox doesn't give me much faith that anything Cloverfield related started off that way. Instead, they're taking bad/risky films and slapping "Cloverfield" on it to generate more buzz and cash.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Seems silly to write off any movie made by the process that produced 10 Cloverfield Lane, a movie you thought was really good, even if that process of remaking existing movies into Cloverfield movies is kinda goofy. Maybe just see the ones that end up being actually really good and passing on the ones that end up being actually kinda bad, instead of deciding based on minutiae of the filmmaking process.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The process didn’t make 10 Cloverfield Lane. Someone else made that movie under a different name, and “the process” tacked 10 minutes of alien footage to the end of the movie. (Which happened to be the worst part of the movie)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
10 cloverfield lane was a good movie that would have been great if it had not been turned into 10 cloverfield lane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The stuff at the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane isn't the same as what's going on in Paradox though. It's just some weird poo poo tacked on to the end because they obviously thought there wasn't enough weirdness in it to call it Cloverfield. Paradox is bending over backwards to make direct connections back to the original film, which is much worse and will probably lead to dumb things like the same monster showing up in multiple movies even though we could have a brand new monster movie each time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

10 cloverfield lane was a good movie that would have been great if it had not been turned into 10 cloverfield lane.

RCarr posted:

The process didn’t make 10 Cloverfield Lane. Someone else made that movie under a different name, and “the process” tacked 10 minutes of alien footage to the end of the movie. (Which happened to be the worst part of the movie)

Sure, fine. Doesn't make it less silly to say you'll decide whether to watch a movie as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane (given one thinks it is good) based on the timing of when the Cloverfield stuff got written into it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

What did you think about it being sucked out into space and following Crazy girl in the shot?

Should have had a slow mo shot of the arm giving a thumbs up Terminator-style at the end. It was there literally tapping its fingers in boredom.

I can't believe we're talking about a disembodied arm as the most interesting character. I thought the main actress did a respectable job, and the choice she was forced to make was a novel one, but yeah. More arm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, fine. Doesn't make it less silly to say you'll decide whether to watch a movie as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane (given one thinks it is good) based on the timing of when the Cloverfield stuff got written into it.

You're not understanding the point. 10 Cloverfield Lane can be enjoyed as a thriller without any Cloverfield shenanigans, because all of that is contained in only the last 10 minutes(and it's nowhere near as egregious). Paradox has the weak Cloverfield stuff mixed all throughout the movie, and it makes it impossible to separate the movie itself out and enjoy it on its own terms.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You're not understanding the point. 10 Cloverfield Lane be enjoyed as a thriller without any Cloverfield shenanigans, because all of that is contained in only the last 10 minutes(and it's nowhere near as egregious). Paradox has the weak Cloverfield stuff mixed all throughout the movie, and it makes it impossible to separate the movie itself out and enjoy it on its own terms.

Right, 10 Cloverfield Lane is pretty good and The Cloverfield Paradox is pretty lousy. If Cloverfielding a movie leaves it pretty good, considering seeing it. If it renders it pretty lousy (or, say, it already was bad to start with), considering skipping it.

Note that I was responding to this:

FooF posted:

If the 4th installment actually has the Cloverfield universe in mind from the start (rather than adding it in to generate a few more bucks), I'll consider seeing it

which would suggest that he'd skip a future 10 Cloverfield Lane, since it didn't have Cloverfield in mind from the start. That's silly.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Tacking Cloverfield onto 10 Cloverfield Lane's script at least made the journey worthwhile. Throughout you're trying to determine if John Goodman is crazy or if he's right and it turns out he's both.

Cloverfield Paradox literally rewrites the events of the original but claims it's a direct prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

which would suggest that he'd skip a future 10 Cloverfield Lane, since it didn't have Cloverfield in mind from the start. That's silly.

I think I understand the point he's getting at..

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane because it was connected to Cloverfield, and at the end of the day even though I really liked it I would have liked it more had they NOT tied it in. But I probably never would have even seen it, soooo it's a Cloverfield paradox?

I saw Cloverfield Paradox because it was connected to Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane was GOOD despite me not liking the tie in tacked on at the end. Paradox was NOT good, and in fact WORSE because of the Cloverfield stuff they tacked on.

The next time they tack on Cloverfield poo poo to a movie I won't be as quick to see it just because it's "part of the series." Because it probably isn't.

10 Cloverfield Lane was a tough-to-market film that was given the Cloverfield treatment to make it appeal to a wider audience.

Cloverfield Paradox was a bad film that was given the Cloverfield treatment to try to salvage it.

They've burned up some of the Cloverfield goodwill with this one.

• Locked thread