Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I really wish they hadn't shoehorned Cloverfield into this. Do like the second movie - find a script that's entertaining but maybe doesn't have mass market appeal, write in subtle references and call it a day - a la Twilight Zone.

That said I enjoyed the hell out of this. It was cheesy and some scenes looked jarringly like made for TV but it hit all the right notes. Only gripe is that I'm pretty sure the water would have boiled rather than flash froze. It wouldn't have been a hot boil but it would boil nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, 10 Cloverfield Lane is pretty good and The Cloverfield Paradox is pretty lousy. If Cloverfielding a movie leaves it pretty good, considering seeing it. If it renders it pretty lousy (or, say, it already was bad to start with), considering skipping it.

"Cloverfielding" these movies did nothing to make them good or lousy. 10 Cloverfield Lane was a good movie before it became a Cloverfield movie. The Cloverfield Paradox was a lousy movie before it became a Cloverfield movie.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, I'm of the opinion that Covenant is a step down from Prometheus and therefore a bunch of steps down from Alien, BUT it's still great looking and has many compelling scenes. Cloverfield Paradox is extremely amateurish by comparison, which isn't really much of an insult because Ridley Scott is a Mount Rushmore level sci-fi director. So the comparison is a bit ridiculous.

If The Cloverfield Paradox wanted to break the internet, then they should've replaced the giant Clover monster at the end with a giant Xenomorph.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think God Particle was probably never a good movie, but it still didn't have a few of the major issues that Cloverfield Paradox does.

Like the husband's storyline was entirely invented for Paradox, and the way the film just cuts to it occasionally is awful and ruins what little sense of claustrophobia we had in space.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

I think I understand the point he's getting at..

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane because it was connected to Cloverfield, and at the end of the day even though I really liked it I would have liked it more had they NOT tied it in. But I probably never would have even seen it, soooo it's a Cloverfield paradox?

I saw Cloverfield Paradox because it was connected to Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane was GOOD despite me not liking the tie in tacked on at the end. Paradox was NOT good, and in fact WORSE because of the Cloverfield stuff they tacked on.

The next time they tack on Cloverfield poo poo to a movie I won't be as quick to see it just because it's "part of the series." Because it probably isn't.

10 Cloverfield Lane was a tough-to-market film that was given the Cloverfield treatment to make it appeal to a wider audience.

Cloverfield Paradox was a bad movie that was given the Cloverfield treatment to try to salvage it.

Yeah, I think this is just a difference in how we view this sort of discussion.

I'm willing to give FooF the credit that they meant what they said and respond to them on that basis. If they mispoke, they can clarify, and I'm happy to accept that. But I'm not going to just assume that they meant a more reasonable point (what you've written above) but accidentally wrote something else. That, to me, would be a bit condescending.

RCarr posted:

"Cloverfielding" these movies did nothing to make them good or lousy. 10 Cloverfield Lane was a good movie before it became a Cloverfield movie. The Cloverfield Paradox was a lousy movie before it became a Cloverfield movie.

Sir Kodiak posted:

leaves it pretty good

Sir Kodiak posted:

it already was bad to start with

:confused:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There are probably ways they could have "Cloverfielded" this movie without being so overt or continuity-screwing as putting the first movie's monster in it. Maybe show something that makes more sense as a consequence of realities merging (ie, show that the messed up body horror events on the station have been happening to people on Earth as well), or indicate that the second firing of the Shepard jumped them to a terrible third reality (the pod lands in a world where the nazis won WWII and the ghost of Rod Serling looks knowingly toward the camera).

The parallel-dimensions concept is already a thin explanation for a lot of the things that happen on the station, but it's an especially thin explanation for why a giant monster got conjured up in the Pacific Ocean.

Ultimately, though, if you take the space station story in isolation, it's not a good movie. Linking this movie to the Cloverfield name hurt the Cloverfield name more than it hurt the movie.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The pre-Cloverfield God Particle script is available online and when I read it a while back I thought it was actually interesting and had a sort of psychological thriller thing going on before it turns into an action movie in the third act. It still retains the whole earth disappearing and showing up on the other side of the sun but if I remember correctly the device actually resulted in time travel during the test instead of the station breaking the fabric of reality, and one of the twists is that it was actually a weapon of which two crew members were secretly in charge or something I forget it's been a while. EITHER WAY, if you're curious, it's out there and I found it more interesting than this movie, which was not good.

Also, one dude watches the device work and goes blind from it. he tells everyone that he saw the universe basically collapse on itself and then spring back and then later goes on to do some cool blind guy action poo poo. I did not like the lack of blind guy in this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

viral spiral posted:

This vid does an excellent job of explaining the connections between the three films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRl4kxkd0A

I feel at this points the movies are just vehicles for easter eggs and speculation.

Rather than being, you know, movies

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So, you are saying "If the movie is good, watch it. If the movie is bad, don't watch it." A novel concept. Good thing each individual person knows exactly how much they will enjoy every movie before they watch it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I feel at this points the movies are just vehicles for easter eggs and speculation.

Rather than being, you know, movies

Split is a good recent example of the big reveal elevating an already fun if not shlocky and crazy movie. All 3 of the Cloverfield movies have zero organic connection and the reveal of 10 Cloverfield Lane just pissed all over a great film with stupid nonsense. This new Cloverfield is so blatant in how they took a script and shoehorned the lovely Abrams monster into it that it's pitiful. Neither of those reveals does anything besides make you question what the gently caress they were thinking.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Split is a good recent example of the big reveal elevating an already fun if not shlocky and crazy movie. All 3 of the Cloverfield movies have zero organic connection and the reveal of 10 Cloverfield Lane just pissed all over a great film with stupid nonsense. This new Cloverfield is so blatant in how they took a script and shoehorned the lovely Abrams monster into it that it's pitiful. Neither of those reveals does anything besides make you question what the gently caress they were thinking.

Split being in the Unbreakable universe is cool because we are getting a movie with the Split guy, Mr Glass, and Bruce Willis. The Cloverfield tie ins have nothing to do with the movies they are a part of. It's just a shameless cash grab.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Heffer posted:

Should have had a slow mo shot of the arm giving a thumbs up Terminator-style at the end. It was there literally tapping its fingers in boredom.

I can't believe we're talking about a disembodied arm as the most interesting character. I thought the main actress did a respectable job, and the choice she was forced to make was a novel one, but yeah. More arm.

The choice she makes was pretty much taken whole sale from Another Earth, another silly dumb movie (though it's far less aware just how silly and dumb it is).

Edit: I will say that it's funny that while Another Earth is the far more self serious movie, this is the movie that actually brings up "won't another you already be there?" which Another Earth never even seems to think of. Like sure this movie doesn't do much with that concept and sort of brushes it aside, but it's funny that it seemed to at least put that little more thought into it.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's not a space movie but her choice reminded me a lot of Coherence too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There are a lot of better than/actually good versions of Paradox, so I'd just like to throw two more out there:

Primer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndHgNUuLKIM

Particle Fever, which is a documentary, but far more 'mind-blowing' and worth your time than half-assed adventures in the multiverse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptLs7Bs-zs

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
If Coherence or Primer came out today they would be Cloverfield movies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think Another Earth would've been better with some forced Cloverfield references

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RCarr posted:

So, you are saying "If the movie is good, watch it. If the movie is bad, don't watch it." A novel concept. Good thing each individual person knows exactly how much they will enjoy every movie before they watch it.

Right, we don't know whether we'll like something in advance, so we use little informal rules to decide if we'll watch something. My point is that other poster's rule – don't watch a Cloverfield movie if it wasn't written as one from the start – would have had them skip a movie they thought was really good, and I thought that seemed silly. Would have been friendlier to phrase it more like, "Hey, remember you did like 10 Cloverfield Lane," I guess.

Though I guess I feel like I see plenty of movies as lousy as The Cloverfield Paradox. If you're super discriminating with your time, but somehow still post here, I can see it being different. I'll watch a movie if enough people here think it's really good, and sometimes it doesn't work out, but I see enough good things it's worth keeping doing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what the point of having them even be related is.

People liked Cloverfield, so directly tying whatever formerly-unrelated movie you're making into that universe in a substantial way gets eyeballs on it more than if it was just another movie.

Take 10CL, for example. It got eyeballs on it because the Mystery Question was "are these folks survivors of Clover's attacks"? Had it been Valencia and the last scene being a woman staring at the nuked out skyline of Chicago, none of us would be talking about it except in PYF's "What's good on streaming" thread.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 7, 2018

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It isn't so much "a rule" as it is an observation of the Cloverfield franchise that I dislike and hope to see less of in the future. (P.S. Eyebeem teased out my main points faithfully).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Split also didn’t tack on an over-the-top action scene at the end, the big climactic action moment is the bad guy bending some bars as opposed to throwing a molotov into the mouth of a alien/ufo hybrid.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FooF posted:

(P.S. Eyebeem teased out my main points faithfully).

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm happy to accept that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My head's still reeling at people who think the action at the end of 10CL is "tacked on" and not the natural evolution of Michelle's character arc.

Having her get out of the bunker to the bombed-out ruins of Denver would have just been a lovely gotcha, actually confronting her fears and not running away from them is the whole point of her story.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

My head's still reeling at people who think the action at the end of 10CL is "tacked on" and not the natural evolution of Michelle's character arc.

Having her get out of the bunker to the bombed-out ruins of Denver would have just been a lovely gotcha, actually confronting her fears and not running away from them is the whole point of her story.
She already confronts her fears by defeating John Goodman, the alien battle is just repetitive.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Paramount to Release JJ Abrams’ ‘Overlord’ Despite Shuffling ‘Cloverfield Paradox’ to Netflix

Sources: Netflix Paid Paramount More Than $50 Million for 'Cloverfield Paradox'

quote:

Worried that Paradox would perish at the box office — it was set to hit theaters April 20 after several delays — Paramount and Abrams handed it to Netflix, which is willing to shell out big bucks for high-profile content.

The deal, broached over the holidays and finalized in January, is worth north of $50 million, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, with Paramount retaining rights for China and home entertainment.

It makes the movie instantly profitable for the studio, which avoids a (likely) misfire and costly marketing campaign. And Netflix got what it was looking for, regardless of withering reviews (18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes at press time): buzz...

Paramount retains the rights to future Cloverfield installments. Overlord, a World War II zombie film from Abrams that scored high in two recent test screenings, could be a contender, although sources say that its fate is still undetermined.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think if it got released at the theater right now it'd at least manage to knock Jumanji 2 off it's seven week standing at #1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe on brand recognition but Jumanji is the better movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raxivace posted:

She already confronts her fears by defeating John Goodman, the alien battle is just repetitive.

Fair point, but I think it's worth it just for the visual of her actually heading into the city to help.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Raxivace posted:

You're half right, but Pirate Jet's heart is in the right place.

Defeating Howard is a confrontation with Michelle's personal demons. Really he's just some yahoo, but in her mind he's elevated to this corpulent manifestation of what she feared was holding her back, that she was just going to turn into another housewife in a loveless marriage.

The aliens are a subversion of this fantasy: not that Howard is right, that Michelle should stay in the bunker and be a good daughter/housewife; but that Michelle escaping her personal Hell is not the same as emancipation/empowerment. All she did was crawl out from under the thumb of one toxic relationship, but it turns out that this was always just a microcosm for the entire symbolic order of society. Howard and she are alike in that they are both scrambling vainly to preserve a fantasy of their own independence from the NWO, the reptilian conspiracy, whatever. Emerging from Howard's/her ex-boyfriend's/her father's subterranean dungeon, she now sees the world through their eyes.

With Paradox, the interpolation of Cloverfield monsters is a desperate gamble to add some payoff to The God Particle, which was previously just a too little, too late attempt to mine the brief phobia produced by the CERN/Large Hadron Collider experiments. Similarly, but with much better execution, the twist in 10 Cloverfield Lane evolves organically out of what's left unresolved if Michelle just kills Howard and fucks off, which is that there would be no progression or development of character. The events of the film would be functionally arbitrary, a convoluted metaphor for one person's abdication. The revelation of the NWO-monsters, however, forces the metaphor towards political substance. The film is now explicitly comparing Michelle's abdication with that same quality in Howard. And now her traumatic experiences affect a profound change in her consciousness. She's not running away anymore, not hitting the open road or holing up in a bunker while the rest of the world burns. She realizes that what she was actually looking for all along was solidarity among the oppressed.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I dunno. I felt like there was some merit to

A) Goodman was telling the truth
B) But he was wrong to imprison them because it is possible to survive outside

It was a bit much though after the big fight in the bunker. Perhaps finding some way to blend those two sequences together and taking out Goodman in some poetic fashion would have been less clunky.

edit: that said I agree that the interpretation of escaping an abuser is not going to free you from the problems that led to being trapped by an abuser is pretty good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's important to stress that Howard is not telling the truth. Howard does not know there has been an alien invasion. He knows that something has 'gone wrong,' that 'bad things' are happening, but the bunker and his pathology existed long before the actual invasion itself. When he tries to speak authoritatively about why they should stay in the bunker, he just bullshits vaguely about what could be the source of what's going on outside. But we are shown explicitly that he has attempted this underground survivalist experiment long before there was the pretext of an actual apocalyptic scenario. Howard doesn't know the truth, but it's ultimately inconsequential to him, because he's already a sociopath.

The punchline is that, even when Michelle escapes the bunker, Howard is fantastically wrong about the nature of the invasion. There may have in fact been a first-wave of gassing intended to destabilize the planet and kill off as many humans as possible, but ultimately the NWO-alien-robot things are not the all-powerful, all-seeing eye that Howard imagines. It's a conventional, disorganized land invasion, and a single person is able to do a lot of damage with very little resources. The joke is, obviously, that Howard needs there to be this vast, incomparable force of evil because its integral to an ideological fantasy. Before there was an alien invasion he would have just been that guy talking about chemtrails and the Illuminati and, if pressed to substantiate his beliefs about the nature of world, would probably just invoke the Tuskegee experiments or MKUltra or something. The purpose of the ideological fantasy is to rationalize the deleterious effects of capitalism, colonial white supremacy, patriarchy, etc., by blaming the deteriorating conditions of the world on this all-powerful Big Brother figure. The reality is that, even when there is a literal alien invasion, this Big Brother figure doesn't exist. It's just a bunch of thankless drones who are themselves cannon fodder for reactionary forces that they don't understand. There is no conspiracy, no elaborate plan to strategically pollute people's minds with chemtrails. The reactionary complacency of society is not the result of a vast conspiracy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm almost certainly going to see the new Cloverfield, but everything is going to be on Netflix from now on.

I'm not wasting money for movie tickets for C+/B- movies unless they have Star Wars in the title.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I was kinda taken aback by the whole experience of watching this. I made a video about Paradox and how it might very well be the first ever "cinema as clickbait" scenario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFN7ftg4974

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was really hoping for some kind of payoff with that disembodied arm. Pretty sure the last time we see it, it's just rapping it's fingers while chilling in that box. Kinda summed up the movie for me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the movie was too busy making a hidden Chekhov's gun joke to remember it had a less literal one in the form of the arm

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

I was kinda taken aback by the whole experience of watching this. I made a video about Paradox and how it might very well be the first ever "cinema as clickbait" scenario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFN7ftg4974

I haven't watched your video but wouldn't like, William Castle gimmicks be more overt parallels with clickbait?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

ruddiger posted:

I was really hoping for some kind of payoff with that disembodied arm. Pretty sure the last time we see it, it's just rapping it's fingers while chilling in that box. Kinda summed up the movie for me.

yeah i was hoping for some evil dead 2 type stuff going on with the arm

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Wow that was not good. If I had paid to see that in a theatre, I'd be annoyed after.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hat Thoughts posted:

I haven't watched your video but wouldn't like, William Castle gimmicks be more overt parallels with clickbait?

There's nominal connective tissue, but a gimmick film specifically involves some extra-diegetic involvement of the spectator and/or an incorporation of the space of exhibition into the film narrative. All Paradox did was spam the Super Bowl in order to manufacture a sudden inflation of web traffic to Netflix. It's not like they then did something radical in accordance with the premise of the film, like take down the film within 8-hours of its premiere and remove all trailers from YT and have the filmmakers and distributors be like, "What movie?" The only thing remarkable is the brevity between advertisement and distribution.

Better examples of the modern gimmick movie would be stuff like The Blair Witch Project and even the original Cloverfield, where the whole ad campaign was built around releasing information cryptically to the public that allowed certain more obsessive spectators to become involved in an elaborate 'mystery.'

Other better than/actually good versions of Paradox that more closely hue to the classic idea of a gimmick film:

- Donnie Darko and its official website http://archive.hi-res.net/donniedarko/
- The Modular Body, a random access/choose your own adventure installation composed entirely of brief YT videos http://www.themodularbody.com/
- the Year Zero ARG

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This movie is just unbelievably bad. I like how none of the deaths follow any sort of internal consistency or rules. Blumhouse does this too in its bad movies, but at least then there's a ghost or demon that is actively malevolent and trying to kill people. This movie doesn't even have that so it's just random nonsensical poo poo to fill up time until it's terrible third act. There's also of course the completely pointless Earth scenes with the kid and husband that sucked away any tension early on, and also went nowhere.

Compared to this, 10 Cloverfield Lane is Best Picture quality. I watched this garbage based on that strength of that movie, and this basically killed the franchise for me.

Also

massive spider posted:

'If you turn on this mcguffin, monsters happen everywhere.

Is in retrospect, one of the absolutely laziest plot devices in a movie. It actually insults me they did that.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm considering revisiting Doom, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread