Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I was kind of surprised how toothless the movie was. Despite crawling arms and people being teleported into walls, the body horror aspect never went as far as it felt like it could have. Like, you can feel the PG-13 on the movie in a big way. It doesn't really take any risks or establish any real atmosphere. Which is a shame, because on paper "The Philadelphia Experiment, but in space" is a pretty rad concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The current ending already makes thematic sense as a huge poo poo on the therapeutic narrative where the protagonist overcomes her trauma and embraces the liberal techno-utopianism of Star Trek.

Veidt: I did the right thing, didn't I? It all worked out in the end.

Manhattan: “In the end”? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Cloverfield Paradox is best understood as the work of some brave soul utterly destroying a mediocre film. The monster’s cry at the end is an exasperated “that sucked!”

Yeah, that's a classic staple of Sci-Fi movies, "it was Earth all along." But the ending of this movie is like if Charlton Heston rode off, and instead of discovering the remains of the Statue of Liberty, instead found the Cloverfield monster. It's just nonsense.

I don't think fixing the B plot would save the movie, but something that is happening there should relate to the dilemma that Hamilton is facing on the space station about whether she should stay or go.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Holy poo poo this movie sucked. I adored Cloverfield, liked 10CL a lot, but this movie was so bad in so many ways. The cloverfield part was so tacked on, and I guess the event reverberated through time or something, but it literally being Clovie in the future (I guess?) And the visual and audio throwbacks to the first film , i.e. the explosions when her boyfriend was in the bunker made it seem like it was literally the ending of Cloverfield, were stupid. 10CL obviously didnt start as a part of the series but I was totally fine with their approach to making it thematically linked. TCP just seemed like a hamfisted cash grab.

Aside from all that, aside from anything Cloverfield related, what the gently caress was going on on the spaceship? Event Horizon comparisons are apt, because clearly there was a malevolent entity attacking them, which was never attempted to be explained and didn't fit the pseudo scientific approach the movie seemed to be going for.

Please someone tell me how I'm wrong because I really want to like this movie, and the Cloverfield series is awesome to me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simplex posted:

Yeah, that's a classic staple of Sci-Fi movies, "it was Earth all along." But the ending of this movie is like if Charlton Heston rode off, and instead of discovering the remains of the Statue of Liberty, instead found the Cloverfield monster. It's just nonsense.

That was the image from the very beginning: where you expect to find the Statue of Liberty, you instead have this gangly, shrieking monster.

Clover’s appearance is nonsense - in the liberal ideological universe of the characters. Hence the joke that the ‘crackpot’ conservative theory ends up being correct, even after the initial monsters are revealed to be merely ‘people from other nations’ and dispelled by globalization.

Of all the films Cloverfield Paradox resembles, it is most closely aligned with James Cameron’s Aliens - but with David Fincher’s gently caress-you ending in place.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That was the image from the very beginning: where you expect to find the Statue of Liberty, you instead have this gangly, shrieking monster.

Clover’s appearance is nonsense - in the liberal ideological universe of the characters. Hence the joke that the ‘crackpot’ conservative theory ends up being correct, even after the initial monsters are revealed to be merely ‘people from other nations’ and dispelled by globalization.

Of all the films Cloverfield Paradox resembles, it is most closely aligned with James Cameron’s Aliens - but with David Fincher’s gently caress-you ending in place.

The crackpot conservative guy is a prime example of why the movie feels really disconnected from itself. For one he is the only link, albeit a highly tenuous one, between the events happening on Earth and the events happening on the space station. Second, one minute you have these guys taking Alex Jones lizard people theory seriously, the next minute half of them are all "pray to God? Pfft, we're scientists." These are two character developing moments that just don't belong in the same movie together. It comes off as a bad parody of how Christian cinema presents the atheist scientist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simplex posted:

The crackpot conservative guy is a prime example of why the movie feels really disconnected from itself. For one he is the only link, albeit a highly tenuous one, between the events happening on Earth and the events happening on the space station. Second, one minute you have these guys taking Alex Jones lizard people theory seriously, the next minute half of them are all "pray to God? Pfft, we're scientists." These are two character developing moments that just don't belong in the same movie together. It comes off as a bad parody of how Christian cinema presents the atheist scientist.

Well here you have to look at the gulf between the intention and the final product.

You were supposed to think the crackpot’s theory about monsters and demons refers to the evil eye, the disembodied hand, and the screeching noise coming from inside the wall. The twist is ‘we were the demons all along!’, and the characters use this knowledge to overcome their inner demons and end the war.

But there is a second twist: that there was no war; there actually is a giant alien monster that they unleashed.

The problem is that 1) the Earth scenes do a very bad job of hiding the fact that there’s a giant monster, and 2) the disembodied hand and such don’t come across as terribly demonic.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Even the not even particularly good Godzilla x Megaguirus is a better than/actually good version of Cloverfield Paradox.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This movie has:

1) a science machine that requires two keys to operate
2) a situation wherein a single person must activate the machine
3) an animate arm

yet that single person is able to turn both keys entirely by themself!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

I was kind of surprised how toothless the movie was. Despite crawling arms and people being teleported into walls, the body horror aspect never went as far as it felt like it could have. Like, you can feel the PG-13 on the movie in a big way. It doesn't really take any risks or establish any real atmosphere. Which is a shame, because on paper "The Philadelphia Experiment, but in space" is a pretty rad concept.

the funny thing is, I feel like the MPAA was probably a factor in why this got the weird-rear end release it did (past the movie just not being very good). note that it's TV-MA and not 14 on Netflix; chances are its violence was just enough to get it to an R despite them targeting a PG-13, and someone in the chain of command said "we're not cutting it" and they had to work something out.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
I did not like this movie at all. Like many of you, I felt the entire premise was wasted and all the cool ideas squandered on a bunch of bullshit forced character development.

My favorite character was Arm, and coincidentally enough when the Bad Woman gets blasted through the window at the end, if you look closely you can see Arm flying alongside. Off into the cosmos, for what I can only hope is a setup for a spinoff where Arm is the main character exploring the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
You know what would've redeemed this movie? If JJ Abrams leaned all the way in. Like Paradox isn't just the explanation for Cloverfield but all his other stupid mystery boxes.

Its the canonical explanation for Lost ending. Its actually Rey's parents. It's why Felicity got that horrible bob. Etc

• Locked thread