Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh Quayle, you dumb little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo, Conway Stern has The Tactleneck

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I must say that the conversation between the two Howards at the interface was really something.
All the venom, the getting under each other's skin and the escalation of their rivalry.

Oh and it looks like Prime side elected Gore.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 12, 2018

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Ora Tzo posted:

I must say that the conversation between the two Howards at the interface was really something.
All the venom, the getting under each other's skin and the escalation of their rivalry.

Oh and it looks like Prime side elected Gore.

The way JK simmons used facial expressions without words in that scene was something else. Go ahead and lock him in for a Best Actor Emmy. Unbelievable performance in this episode.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Has the show mentioned if Peter has a living other?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

wukkar posted:

Has the show mentioned if Peter has a living other?

Not that I can recall. The GF and I were wondering that last night as well.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also, in case there was any doubt, Aldrich is goddamn hardcore. Don't gently caress with him.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
This show owns. I was about to give up but episode 6 brought it in for me.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Also, in case there was any doubt, Aldrich is goddamn hardcore. Don't gently caress with him.

Was kind of surprised Quayle called him Sir, I guess I missed it earlier but I imagined him as long time head of goon squad ops under Quayle as the upstart Director.

I know its not that kind of show but I'm kind of hoping this is a one-and-done so it doesnt go all Scandal and at some point there's no reason everyone doesn't murder each other but you can't remember what for.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

Oh Quayle, you dumb little poo poo.
Yeah this is going to go very poorly for him, what a moron.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Enigma89 posted:

This show owns. I was about to give up but episode 6 brought it in for me.

Not being snarky, what made you flip the switch from giving up to 'owns' in one episode?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
JK Simmons is really hitting it home, I hope this show in general gets the recognition it deserves.

Fawning aside, I wonder how far we really are going to get into the prime's plan given there are only 2 episodes left. Expecting a pretty explosive ending either way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
His wife return to the other side but then next season THE BIG TWIST is that she was a double agent after being converted by our ipods and iphones.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not being snarky, what made you flip the switch from giving up to 'owns' in one episode?

For me, the parts without JK Simmons might not be enough to sustain my interest.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

GobiasIndustries posted:

Fair question. I just thought there were a lot of things going on and to find out that the leak was married to a main character really tied in the stories together. I just felt like there was a lot of poo poo going on and the story kept going wide but wasn't going deep enough and when they tied it all together I realized that it made all sense now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching episode 9, and holy gently caress does Stephen Rea (Pope) channel a mean Sir David Attenborough

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If you want more spy master Stephen Rea try and track down The Shadow Line where he also does a mean The Terminator

(its a good crime drama with Chris Eccleston and Chiwetel Ejiofor that goes nuts after a point)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chop Sunni posted:

If you want more spy master Stephen Rea try and track down The Shadow Line where he also does a mean The Terminator

(its a good crime drama with Chris Eccleston and Chiwetel Ejiofor that goes nuts after a point)

I've seen it, it's boss level.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The Shadow Line is great!

My friend had this script writing theory that the best shows always evolve from a central scene that the writer has in mind. For this show, it had to be the scene of Howard arguing with his alternate self about how each of them resents the other's life choices. What a fantastic scene.

It isn't exactly clear what the attack was meant to do, was it? At first I thought the goal might have been to bomb the passageway to disconnect the worlds, but when that didn't happen I am assuming the attack was more of just a terrorist action, but the people they were shooting were seeming fairly specific as well so I guess the goal was just to destabilize "our" side.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My guess is that they wanted to open a clear passage for more goons to stream I'm from their side to... do something. Otherwise they could've blown it up or something.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

PaybackJack posted:

It isn't exactly clear what the attack was meant to do, was it? At first I thought the goal might have been to bomb the passageway to disconnect the worlds, but when that didn't happen I am assuming the attack was more of just a terrorist action, but the people they were shooting were seeming fairly specific as well so I guess the goal was just to destabilize "our" side.

Yeah, this was way too targeted. Richard Schiff's character for instance, why shoot his assistant and not him ?

Our side's security has a lot to answer for after this. Maybe invest in some panic rooms and guards under 50 who shoot back. One odd thing is how every employee has to enter the building with a code which makes sense if identical duplicates exist. How the attackers for these codes is unclear, Baldwin immediately murdered the one we saw and yet the double knew the code.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

My guess is that they wanted to open a clear passage for more goons to stream I'm from their side to... do something. Otherwise they could've blown it up or something.

Yeah, that was my take. Break all the locks in the open position, clear security to the gate, and send over as many agents as possible without having to dick around with visas (and also to send over folks without counterparts they would have to replace).

Not sure why Richard Schiff wasn't taken out; taking out the head diplomat would have been a huge blow. I figure either it was to help maintain Clare's cover or perhaps he's already been compromised and still useful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I dislike has been Quayle being a total idiot instead of using one of the many opportunities to do the right thing. I don't mind that he's done the wrong thing, but the manner in which he keeps loving up seems particularly ham fisted when everything else has been so great.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I like this show, but "he's on the border we can't touch him" was comically loving stupid. They stalked from office to office killing your people and now the border suddenly is sacrosanct. gently caress that, they can keep the bullets.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
J.K. Simmons still doing awesome.

algebra testes posted:

The only thing I dislike has been Quayle being a total idiot instead of using one of the many opportunities to do the right thing. I don't mind that he's done the wrong thing, but the manner in which he keeps loving up seems particularly ham fisted when everything else has been so great.

I don't know, he's a dead ringer for a co-worker I had years ago.

I wonder if there's a writer who could say the same.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like this show, but "he's on the border we can't touch him" was comically loving stupid. They stalked from office to office killing your people and now the border suddenly is sacrosanct. gently caress that, they can keep the bullets.

Maybe it's more literal than that, some sort of freaky sci-fi poo poo? It might be coming from totally left field on a show which has, so far, completely understated that element of the overall plot, but there is some weird stuff like telling Howard that 'everyone has to cross alone'.

I'm interested in the nature of the weird creaky tunnel-between-universes and I didn't expect them to go there, but who knows, maybe the finale will explore it more. Perhaps the School people know how to exploit something about the crossing point to gain the upper hand.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Maybe more than one person at a time down there causes some singularity or something. Maybe he closed the thing with his body. Still don’t see why they couldn’t just like harpoon his husk out of there though.

The whole entire hit on the offices seemed kind of pointless to me. It’s a mess, yes, and tons of bodies; but if they aim regardless of how to close the border then that effectively cuts off all of their espionage efforts and doesn’t do anything to fulfill a vengeance pact for the virus. I imagine we are just really missing something the finale will show us.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chadzok posted:

Maybe it's more literal than that, some sort of freaky sci-fi poo poo? It might be coming from totally left field on a show which has, so far, completely understated that element of the overall plot, but there is some weird stuff like telling Howard that 'everyone has to cross alone'.

I guess, but if you can have people waltzing across I am sort of doubting a few ounces of metal, even at a high velocity, should do anything. vOv

Blind Rasputin posted:

The whole entire hit on the offices seemed kind of pointless to me. It’s a mess, yes, and tons of bodies; but if they aim regardless of how to close the border then that effectively cuts off all of their espionage efforts and doesn’t do anything to fulfill a vengeance pact for the virus. I imagine we are just really missing something the finale will show us.

I think it is a distraction for something bigger. They didn't go through that much effort to kill a dozen or two random personnel alone.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Maybe he was going to "defect" and admit to the bio attack?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

The show has consistently shown that only one person is allowed in the tunnel at a time. There is probably a reason why the show repeatedly made a point of showing this. It seems stupider to ignore that. It doesn't even take that much of a leap to assume that shooting someone creates some kind of causal mumbo-jumbo connection or whatever pseudo-quantum-jargon would pleases the ASD audience.

I would think someone this picky would have latched onto the ridiculous trope of the ajar draw tipping off the wife to the cigars, let alone doing it a second loving time with the air-con vent.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Qmass posted:

I would think someone this picky would have latched onto the ridiculous trope of the ajar draw tipping off the wife to the cigars, let alone doing it a second loving time with the air-con vent.

See and here I thought the stupider thing was that she would leave her cell phone turned on vibrate in a vent that amplifies the noise and makes it sound like a loving jackhammer. Also, "Whoops, I forgot about secret cell phone I stashed in the vent until it rang."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I mean that seemed accurate to me how else are you supposed to know when a secret cell phone is ringing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean that seemed accurate to me how else are you supposed to know when a secret cell phone is ringing?

Lmao.

Is the voice mail "hello you have reached my secret phone please leave a message after the secret tone."

I know what they wanted to achieve that that's where the phone is, and she realises that she is just out of reach of it. But the way they do it, so accurately pointed out, makes no sense. I mean, I don't think it completely breaks the verisimilitude of the show too much but yeah, it's kinda hokey.

The show on one hand has dead drops, but also, phones set to vibrate left on in the vent. gently caress the more I think about how stupid it is the more I kind of love this show.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I don't buy the 1-in-the-tunnel-because-scifi idea, because then the glass-separated discussion rooms would have to work on a hell of a fine line. The people in those rooms (like Howard, originally) don't go through the tunnel or even know what they're doing.

I liked the other side's snazzy phone booths.

Unless they're a real thing in regular Germany. I confused myself because I could have sworn the other side had snazzy-enough mobiles in that episode.

Edit: I know they're making The City and The City now, but suppose it would be neat influenced by that and the tunnel is governed by breach monsters.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 22, 2018

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chop Sunni posted:

I don't buy the 1-in-the-tunnel-because-scifi idea, because then the glass-separated discussion rooms would have to work on a hell of a fine line. The people in those rooms (like Howard, originally) don't go through the tunnel or even know what they're doing.

I think the people from the Other Side do come through the tunnel to work each morning? They have to, surely. Now that you mention it though, they've never really shown that and I have no idea how that building would function otherwise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chadzok posted:

I think the people from the Other Side do come through the tunnel to work each morning? They have to, surely. Now that you mention it though, they've never really shown that and I have no idea how that building would function otherwise.

Yeah, I suspect that the booths are on this side of the border, for whatever reason. Coin flip, possibly, but potentially in order to keep up the ruse that our side has a more advanced level of technology than the other.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That makes sense of course.

Now I'm wondering if Howard's window-mate appeared snotty at Howard's friendly gesture because it was unprofessional, or because he was a filthy disease-monger.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chop Sunni posted:

That makes sense of course.

Now I'm wondering if Howard's window-mate appeared snotty at Howard's friendly gesture because it was unprofessional, or because he was a filthy disease-monger.

Should have gone for the elbow dap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
...pretty sure the "windows" are just screens broadcasting between the sides?

• Locked thread