Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, the way he sold both Howards processing the different contents of the same room and what they meant was just incredibly well done.

Like I don't think the show is going to ever definitely argue at one specific event changing the course of Howard's life, and certainly Anna being born didn't mean that Other Howard and Emily worked out long term, but loss of a child as a trigger for Meek Howard ending up with the life he did certainly has to be up there.

I think one of the most laudable things about the show is how it portrays Meek Howard's life (very subtly) as the one worth living in.

Badass Howard is a shark that doesn't seem to like anything or anyone, but MH loves music, his life, and his wife. And they did that all with minimal dialogue.

e: on the 6th ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, like, do they ever explain wtf is up with that call and response thing? Like, what does it do? What information are they gaining from it?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like this show, but "he's on the border we can't touch him" was comically loving stupid. They stalked from office to office killing your people and now the border suddenly is sacrosanct. gently caress that, they can keep the bullets.

I saw this scene as something like the way the Berlin wall worked in the cold war. If he hadn't made it to the border then Aldrich would have been free and clear to take him back, or shoot him, but the guy just barely made it over the border and had Aldrich crossed to bring the guy back it would have been a serious escalation of an already serious international (interdimensional?) incident.

That said, seeing that they've pointed out that only one person is supposed to cross at a time then yeah it could very well be some scifi fuckery that prevented Aldrich from grabbing the guy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I saw this scene as something like the way the Berlin wall worked in the cold war. If he hadn't made it to the border then Aldrich would have been free and clear to take him back, or shoot him, but the guy just barely made it over the border and had Aldrich crossed to bring the guy back it would have been a serious escalation of an already serious international (interdimensional?) incident.

Aldrich literally drove his counterpart insane so there would be less chance of his professionalism and allegiance being questioned. He's not going to break a fundamental part of the treaty no matter how small the action was in that specific context.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I suspect that the booths are on this side of the border, for whatever reason. Coin flip, possibly, but potentially in order to keep up the ruse that our side has a more advanced level of technology than the other.
Ruse? Isn't that true?

DarkCrawler posted:

...pretty sure the "windows" are just screens broadcasting between the sides?
That would make sense.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, like, do they ever explain wtf is up with that call and response thing? Like, what does it do? What information are they gaining from it?
It's not clear why they need the codes, but it could be something like individual governments passing information to their counterparts if this is an international thing? Since all communication runs through this central office, whichever nation controls the office would hear everything - unless information intended for specific nations (or people) was sent in code.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Ruse? Isn't that true?

No, I don't think so. They've got different phones and a great number of enormous structures.

I mean, it's likely that we're more advanced than Prime in some ways just as they're more advanced than us in others, but it does seem like the other side is a lot more invested in keeping their poo poo locked down.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

I just binged this show over a couple days and it's great. The parallel universe gimmick brings you to the table but the character moments are really what cause you to go back for seconds.

That said, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with the sleeper agent plot. Throughout the whole season the mystery keeps building and all it amounts to is a terrorist shooting spree at the office? We're shown that it took decades of preparation for this moment; to finally retaliate for the flu pandemic. I was expecting a more substantial and devious plan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Exclusive posted:

I just binged this show over a couple days and it's great. The parallel universe gimmick brings you to the table but the character moments are really what cause you to go back for seconds.

That said, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with the sleeper agent plot. Throughout the whole season the mystery keeps building and all it amounts to is a terrorist shooting spree at the office? We're shown that it took decades of preparation for this moment; to finally retaliate for the flu pandemic. I was expecting a more substantial and devious plan.

I thought the implication was that this was just the first step in a more complex plan. The attack was only partly random -- Lotte Verbeek had a point blank angle on Richard Schiff's ambassador but ignored him, for instance, and the it seemed like Glasses went after certain targets at the expense of other potential kills -- and Angel Eyes' dogged attempt to cross the bounding lines seemed desperate enough to be essential to the overall plan.

My guess is that their intent wasn't just to cause immediate disruption, but to set up a diplomatic incident of some kind. Potentially the attack was a false flag operation that would allow the Prime universe to declare all out war on our side. Or perhaps the intent is to recreate Season 1 of the Bridge.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Given that the 'only one person at a time in the tunnel' thing has been highlighted several times, could it be that the body being on the border has essentially closed the crossing? Trapping the Howards in the wrong dimension would be one way to end a season....

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Who schedules a 10 episode season and leaves a one week gap between the end of season two-parter?

I wonder if that's incompetence or malice - can't even tell which would be worse.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
The School's got pretty lucky that four of their couple of dozens of student's counterparts got to work at a super secret portal site, in positions perfect to stage a terrorist attack, didn't it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

Who schedules a 10 episode season and leaves a one week gap between the end of season two-parter?

I wonder if that's incompetence or malice - can't even tell which would be worse.

It is a german co production for all we know something pre empts it in germany this week right?

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I really enjoy this show, although I haven't seen the most recent one yet. I just finished episode 8 on the starz website. Anyways, one neat little detail I noticed is that all of the "prime" characters tend to wear gloves almost all the time, even when they are in the alpha world. Almost a subconscious fear of germs, due to the flu outbreak in their world.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably not subconscious.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Junkenstein posted:

Given that the 'only one person at a time in the tunnel' thing has been highlighted several times, could it be that the body being on the border has essentially closed the crossing? Trapping the Howards in the wrong dimension would be one way to end a season....

If only we hadn't allowed our old timey vaudeville hook technology to atrophy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think if the second season wasn't already in production I'd be internally screaming at that finale.

(also who else noticed the continuity error)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Who doesn't love a season finale that leaves even more questions unanswered?

Also lol @ Flula Borg cameoing as a (now deceased) agent ("Mueller is dead, Silk is here").

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The finale is tonight, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is available now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well that...was kinda a dud

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Worth it for Peter's dumb face.

Oh yes darling I absolutely meant to provide us both with alibis, I'm certainly not just so monumentally incompetent that I couldn't even murder-suicide effectively.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You don't have to spoil things that have already aired, but whatevs I find it hilarious that Howard did more to actively hurt the conspiracy by killing Pope than anyone else did in the run of the show. Just assuming that he was this completely harmless fop and turning your back to *obviously* prepare to murder the guy, what the hell do you think would happen?

e: Real real glad season 2 is already in production.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 2, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What the gently caress direction is this going in for season 2

Regardless, great season

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mulva posted:

You don't have to spoil things that have already aired, but whatevs I find it hilarious that Howard did more to actively hurt the conspiracy by killing Pope than anyone else did in the run of the show. Just assuming that he was this completely harmless fop and turning your back to *obviously* prepare to murder the guy, what the hell do you think would happen?

e: Real real glad season 2 is already in production.

Pope forgot he was still dealing with a Howard Silk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mulva posted:

Just assuming that he was this completely harmless fop and turning your back to *obviously* prepare to murder the guy, what the hell do you think would happen?
He'd gotten far too used to feeling untouchable. In basically every other situation he knew that anyone who wanted him dead had more to lose by killing him than leaving him alive. He just forgot that if you're literally about to kill someone then they can't possibly have any more to lose by fighting back - probably combined with his (mostly accurate) belief that Howard was essentially passive and non-violent by nature.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So because im dumb the ending to quayles storyline is that she is faking the marriage ie: manipulating him right? Not she is faking the marriage because she loves the child and wants to keep her family together?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

algebra testes posted:

So because im dumb the ending to quayles storyline is that she is faking the marriage ie: manipulating him right? Not she is faking the marriage because she loves the child and wants to keep her family together?

I'm actually not sure it matters which it is at this point, to be fair. It's more important that he's on-board and, given the praise he just got (which admittedly confused me and seemed extremy?), is successfully being manipulated.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We are now accepting submittal of theories as to why management is so weird in both sides.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

withak posted:

We are now accepting submittal of theories as to why management is so weird in both sides.

There's only one Management and it's not based in either side :tinfoil:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

withak posted:

One of my favorite questions from last night, tbqh. Also, what level of oversight is Alexander Pope truly at?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah my theories are (1) aliens or (2) people from yet another reality who are secretly controlling everything.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

There's only one Management and it's not based in either side :tinfoil:

Management is the original group of scientists who hosed up and so they're not doubled like everybody else.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
The management reminded me of Lost. In a bad way.
This show, despite having Simmons in it, seems flawed. The assassin storyline, the crazy plothole coincidence of random people's counterparts holding key positions in the other side secret organization. Pope guy, who was known by seemingly everyone to be the Mastermind behind every bad thing happening, murdering people and destabilizing both worlds and getting away with it without any repercussions - in a world where, every second character gets shot in the face the moment they turn away from the camera for minor inconvenience and to show how gritty the show is.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Monglo posted:

random people's counterparts holding key positions in the other side secret organization

They were recruited, it wasn't random.

I agree with some of your critiques though. It has its flaws. Still a fun ride.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Good Will Hrunting posted:

They were recruited, it wasn't random.

Weren't they from the School? The children trained to replace their counterparts? The guy who died inside the Crossing was repeating some sorts of mantra which I think was set up as part of the School indoctrination. Thats the idea I got - every single infiltrator was a part of it, right? Except for the assassin girl, who I think was a known assassin before she crossed over.
But, yeah, I enjoyed the show - every scene with Simmons is great.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I think, just like the china Melville book, the City and the City, management will be residing in a third reality that is secretly under control of all of this. This includes the flu outbreak. Them being the original scientists is interesting but who knows.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What if they cause the flu to pit these two sides against each other

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Well that was a kind of meh episode. Also, gently caress Quayle.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think if the second season wasn't already in production I'd be internally screaming at that finale.

(also who else noticed the continuity error)

Was it "stay here and clean up these bodies / get out and deal with the Quayles now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah I think, just like the china Melville book, the City and the City, management will be residing in a third reality that is secretly under control of all of this. This includes the flu outbreak. Them being the original scientists is interesting but who knows.

I've just found out that City and the City adaptation starts this Friday. That's going to be interesting.....

• Locked thread