Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I know they are introducing things quite slowly here but do we have a clear idea as to when the gate was created in relation to the lives of all these characters? Were they all in their 20’s at the time I’m guessing?

The director in the post-credits interview of ep 3 also said there are a ton of Easter eggs in the background when Emily is crossing over. I wonder if anyone spotted any or could translate some of the German signs into things. He said there’s a ton of clues there about the origins and who controls what.

Excellent show and I’m super glad there is a thread. I also like it when shows air one episode a week, makes threads better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That’s been my question too. How do people cross to spy if it is so tightly regulated. I thought at first that someone like Baldwin would get a visa and then skip out on it but seeing how hard it is to get one that just doesn’t make sense.

But then, if both sides see someone like Baldwin crossed over.. wouldn’t they be apoplectic wondering where the hell the other cross over points are? Unless they just already know there are bunches of them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think I figured it out. I rewatched the first scene of episode one. It’s when those cops storm in and find Baldwin dressed as a woman crying in a bathroom surrounded by dead people. If you pay attention to the scenes people wearing masks and the German characters, this takes place over in the alternate (badass JK) world. The investigators believe over there that Baldwin is male and were hoping to arrest her with her visas to prevent her from moving over to our (nice Jk) world. She killed the investigators and leaves that scene with her bag full of visas. She probably used those to get over and continue the plan.

At least I think I follow that scene. When I first saw it it didn’t make any sense but in retrospect it makes a ton of sense now. It almost has to take place over there because of the masks. The writers just wouldn’t use that mechanic without a reason.

I think the plot may very well be, both Emily wives were spies before the branch 30 years ago. Maybe they both got into spying on the other side since then and they got into some intel regarding highest up parts of the Crossing leaders or something. I think the nice JK’s wife was supposed to die in that hit and run and whomever wanted her dead for some spy poo poo is sending Baldwin over to finish the job.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I mean this is basically the Fringe without hot blonde and mad scientist. Just so we are clear.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

JK Simmons is doing an amazing job. He even slouches when he’s playing nice Howard.

The show is really pushing this idea that we are who we are despite circumstances that may shift which direction we’ve gone. Like when nice Baldwin saw herself and said “you’re my true self.” And when Howard punched that dude it was coming out. I love this idea. I can’t wait to see how nice Howard starts to get OP.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This was a fantastic episode. Learned so much about their world, and Howard’s poor family. So endearing between him and Emily too. What a show.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

About malignant hyperthermia, it is a specific and can often be life ending reaction to the paralytics used to intubate someone prior to an operation. The usual situation is, anesthesiologist administers the paralytic to relax all your muscles to put the intubation tube in, and shortly after all of your muscles start to get rigid and your temperature and blood pressure go through the roof, leading to profound acidosis and potentially death. This is immediately noticeable for what it is by doctors and is reversible with medications.

In Emily’s case, the majority of medications used to keep someone sedated after they are intubated for a trauma would not lead to this situation. So I am not sure how the show will use such information but in reality it shouldn’t come into play. It wouldn’t be realistic at all for the show to portray Emily in some sort of state of continued malignant hyperthermia while in a coma because she would be like posturing and rigid with a 103 temperature and severely acidotic and dead. So. Well, anyways. Just FYI about that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So is sleeping with your prime clone considered cheating? Because I’m pretty sure prime Howard was sleeping with original Emily and original Howard is about to sleep with Emily prime I imagine this like sexual clone cube they are about to create is fine.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This guy cashing in on clone sex. Counterpart 2: prime time

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

But for serious, man what an emotional ending. From the hospital scene to that ending I was nearly in tears. This show is amazingly good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Howard has been forever stuck in prime and now has a new job. He walks in to his first day at work, manning a checkpoint booth.

“Next.”

A face appears in the window.

“Glory to Arstotzka...”

*credits roll*

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

“You have to love the lie.”

Man, truer words have never been said.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Chekov’s mug is a nuclear wessel in Alameda.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

HanabaL03 posted:

Yes there was. And it was fantastic.

My girlfriend and I haven’t watched it yet. Can someone itt post all the spoilers so when we watch it I can act like I know what’s about to happen? She loves how smart I am

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Maybe more than one person at a time down there causes some singularity or something. Maybe he closed the thing with his body. Still don’t see why they couldn’t just like harpoon his husk out of there though.

The whole entire hit on the offices seemed kind of pointless to me. It’s a mess, yes, and tons of bodies; but if they aim regardless of how to close the border then that effectively cuts off all of their espionage efforts and doesn’t do anything to fulfill a vengeance pact for the virus. I imagine we are just really missing something the finale will show us.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I mean that seemed accurate to me how else are you supposed to know when a secret cell phone is ringing?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah I think, just like the china Melville book, the City and the City, management will be residing in a third reality that is secretly under control of all of this. This includes the flu outbreak. Them being the original scientists is interesting but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I actually thought for a while that this show was the city and the city adaptation, but done so in a way that wasn’t so weird and impossible to wrap your head around. Come to find out, no, they got a show full of b-rate special effects coming out to cover that one.

• Locked thread