Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hear me out, I can coexist with snipers, play many a game with snipers. Why does every multiplayer shooter have a sniper rifle and really long range combat though? Where's the variety? Even Fortnite which is more cartoony and nutty has the snipers as the top brass. And with the trend towards PUBG style games with huge open fields instead of more twisty turny Quake or UT maps, it's an all you can snipe buffet out there. Even Quake Champions of course has the mighty railgun, with zoom as well. Overwatch also has snipers.

I think there's an opening for a more close to mid range multiplayer shooting game. At least, that'd appeal to me. Would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/DcY4GXb.mp4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell, I'll sign it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
snipers suck in pubg, git gud mb?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When i played Bad Company 2, there were some maps that had spots where one team would have half their players camp as snipers, being totally useless to actually winning the match. When they were on my team, I used to take my assault and use the ammo kit and smoke grenades to blind them all until they went and did something else. Fun times.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When i played Bad Company 2, there were some maps that had spots where one team would have half their players camp as snipers, being totally useless to actually winning the match. When they were on my team, I used to take my assault and use the ammo kit and smoke grenades to blind them all until they went and did something else. Fun times.

i countersniped them with shotgun slugs, which hilariously worked really well in that game once you figured it out

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Das Butterbrot posted:

i countersniped them with shotgun slugs, which hilariously worked really well in that game once you figured it out

Yeah, that was my go to for when they were on the enemy team. It ruled when your victims didn’t understand how laser accurate slugs were, they just saw they died from a shotgun blast from 200 yards away and would get really salty in the chat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cuntellectual posted:

snipers suck in pubg, git gud mb?

Everything is a sniper in PUBG practically. Single shot ARs with scope from very far away etc. I'm not hating, I'll continue playing all the shooters with sniper rifles in them, it just seems odd that it's a big part of every shooter. Seems combat gets further and further range, shooting at a pinpoint on your screen. Why not have games for closer ranges also? Everybody doing the same thing pretty much.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

fond memories of fy_iceworld

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play warthunder

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Heavy Metal posted:

Everything is a sniper in PUBG practically. Single shot ARs with scope from very far away etc. I'm not hating, I'll continue playing all the shooters with sniper rifles in them, it just seems odd that it's a big part of every shooter. Seems combat gets further and further range, shooting at a pinpoint on your screen. Why not have games for closer ranges also? Everybody doing the same thing pretty much.

Overwatch and TF2 do a good job with this - there's damage falloff for most weapons, which means that most everyone needs to get in close combat to function well. Overwatch takes it a step further with an abundance of characters with gap closers, shields, and combinations of the two so that snipers can find themselves caught out and stuck in close combat with some very dangerous foes very quickly.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Endorph posted:

play warthunder

You'll pry my M41A1 from my smoking wreckage!

Also gently caress your snipers. Ban Panzerfausts. drat whine-boom from ET still causes a twitch.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dirk the Average posted:

Overwatch and TF2 do a good job with this - there's damage falloff for most weapons, which means that most everyone needs to get in close combat to function well. Overwatch takes it a step further with an abundance of characters with gap closers, shields, and combinations of the two so that snipers can find themselves caught out and stuck in close combat with some very dangerous foes very quickly.

Agreed, snipers aren't usually an issue in Overwatch, and the level design also is good and often encourages close range as well. What if the game didn't have the sniper characters? Wouldn't that be fine? Everybody prefers when they don't get a slampick Hanzo on their attack team anyway. Just find it of note that the sniper is at this point I guess so linked with the FPS genre, nobody would make an online FPS game without one.

Plus a lot of games going in the PUBG direction of very open level design etc. Even though we're talking about a wide variety of games in the FPS genre (or third person in Fortnite's case), the sniper is always a thing in the mix to balance gameplay around to some degree. Would be interesting and maybe fun to see a game go fully in the other direction, just close range combat maybe in some more intricate closer range kind of maps.

Or just a Black Mirror episode premise, in 2019 all sniper type guns disappear from video games. Wouldn't that make the world a better place?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Yes. For the love of God yes. Sniper rifles are only fun for the user, break the flow of the game up and short to medium range engagements are always more fun and intense than playing Spot The Camper 99% of the time.

I say this as someone who used to always play a sniper class. Multiplayer is always just so much more tedious when there's one hit kills involved and generally the guns aren't even that hard to use.

Though I did make a smacktalking Widowmaker player rage out of a game once by switching to Widowmaker myself and only killing him over and over so maybe shattering fragile egos means they can stay

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mordja posted:

Hell, I'll sign it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want a game like PUBG but with an urban combat environment where snipers aren't like, totally useless, but are super situational instead of dominating the game because every firefight is from 3km away

• Locked thread