Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

JFC this bc/ Nova Scotia game is intense. That last shot by ns in the ninth end was incredible the way he knocked one out and rolled in front of bc's stone was pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Woe is (Jamie) Koe

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Woe is (Jamie) Koe

Yeah that's unfortunate. Poor guys.

Nova Scotia played a good game though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Where is Team Canada from? Because Ontario seems real good at this curling thing.

EDIT: Also I loving love the lead TSN commentator and how he talks to the players. "Gotta get to the 4 fellas! Gotta get there boys!"

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 10, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

Where is Team Canada from? Because Ontario seems real good at this curling thing.

EDIT: Also I loving love the lead TSN commentator and how he talks to the players. "Gotta get to the 4 fellas! Gotta get there boys!"

Assuming you're taking about the Brier, team Gushue is from Newfoundland.

They're quite good. But yes, Ontario always produces competitive teams, they have a large population to draw from.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Ontario's a bit skewed because Glenn Howard represented them from 2006 to 2013. Manitoba and Alberta are probably the best provinces for curling in that they are almost always in the top three and don't have one team representing them every year. Saskatchewan, for some reason, is not great despite having a buttload of curlers and only slightly less population than Manitoba.

But yeah John Epping is really good.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

drat Team Canada is good. Each player is tops for their position.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
St. John's has a "highway" named after Brad Gushue. They are kinda heroes in Newfoundland.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

leftist heap posted:

St. John's has a "highway" named after Brad Gushue. They are kinda heroes in Newfoundland.

Well deserved, imo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wowwwwwwww what and ending to Alberta/Northern Ontario.

I think Alberta are my favorite team now, between their boy wonder captain, large adult son third, and not having a coach or alternate there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

Wowwwwwwww what and ending to Alberta/Northern Ontario.

I think Alberta are my favorite team now, between their boy wonder captain, large adult son third, and not having a coach or alternate there.

Yeah holy poo poo I caught the last two ends and that was an incredible comeback.

Jacobs is a great curler and that's kind of a lovely way to lose, but being from Alberta I feel pretty great about the talent of these kids, they're doing amazingly well.

Local curling news:. My rink won the c league aggregate in our recreation league, girlfriend's team won the A, feels good man :unsmith:

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 11, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm rooting for a Gushue - Bottcher final.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Go Gushu Go

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Local curling news:. My rink won the c league aggregate in our recreation league, girlfriend's team won the A, feels good man :unsmith:

That's awesome! We just got our rear end kicked in the men's bonspiel here but I came in last minute and we had a lot of fun and a lot of beers so it was a good time overall.

I'm glad that Jacobs is out and anybody who wins is fine by me. I can't see Gushue losing but that Alberta - Ontario game is going to be great.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Come on Alberta!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If Gushue wins this maybe St. John's can finally finish Team Gushue Highway

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Alberta having all sorts of trouble with the rocks tonight, can't get any breaks on rolls or anything.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Woof what a tight game

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pretty amazing finish there for Gushue. Hell of a showing for Bottcher, too, and he's only 26!

I'm totally going to price out a trip to Vegas for the championship, I have to visit my friend out there anyway.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Team McEwen is splitting up. Wonder what will come of that. Maybe two new teams? I think Dunstone will be looking for a more permanent team for the next olympic cycle. Maybe he gets on board with either Mike or BJ.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunnlaugson in the mix there too. Also I don't think Carruthers did as well as they'd hoped so there could be some changes there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Watched some wheelchair curling action today. That sure is different. Kind of impressive how well they can play without any sweeping.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I actually factually went out on some ice and curled tonight!

It was an outdoor hockey rink and it's humid/frosty and actually started snowing halfway through but still.

We learned the basics and played a 2-end "game" which we won 3-0 in part thanks to my stone in the back of the 12 as seen here:

(I mean, barely seen, what with the frost and all.)

Goddammit how does NYC not have a year round place?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 15, 2018

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That is really cool! I guess you don't have a reference to indoor curling, but did you have to throw the rock as hard as you could just to get a draw?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chicken posted:

That is really cool! I guess you don't have a reference to indoor curling, but did you have to throw the rock as hard as you could just to get a draw?

You pretty much had to slide out of the hack, then use your gripper foot or knees to fling yourself forward and throw the stone at the same time. It was also pretty much impossible to not just grip the thing and seriously spin it while you did that.

Then the sweepers had to literally run after it. The three rocks we sat to score those points were the only ones that stayed in the house, and the vast majority didn't even make it to the opposite hockey blue line. (Although we did get it right to that "almost" point with regularity.)

Still an absolute shitload of fun. I was grouped up with some other randos and our instructor said we got the throwing motion faster/better than anybody he'd seen come through :smug:

EDIT: Here's one of my throws that I don't think cleared the midline
https://twitter.com/Low_rax/status/974124173579649024
(I didn't lunge forward from my knees like I should have.)

The whole thing is simultaneously easier and way harder than I thought it would be. I assumed I was going to flip over and break every bone in my body as soon as I released the stone, which wasn't the case at all. Also holy poo poo I'm woefully out of shape.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 15, 2018

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Ha yeah you're whipping that rock. That would be pretty good takeout weight on normal ice. Good sliding form though!

Sweeping is really hard work though. When you start out and aren't good it's hard because you're trying to keep your balance while moving sideways and looking at the skip and then back at the rock. When you get good you can put so much force on the broom that you burn a pile of calories. I usually skip but on the weekend I played third in a tournament so I had to sweep. We played five games in four days and I was pretty drat stiff Monday morning.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Just a friendly reminder that the World Women's Curling Championship started today. Most of the teams are different from the Olympics although Sweden, Russia, and South Korea (gently caress yeah more Kims!) are sending the same teams. TSN has the Canadian games which are also available on ESPN 360 according to some people somewhere else in the thread. It looks like one non-Canadian game each draw is being streamed live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV. They'll also have compressed views of all the games there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can anybody confirm where non-Canadians can watch the Women's World Championship? I didn't see it on the ESPN3 site.

I'm also seriously thinking about throwing $20 down for the Pinty's pass.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

Can anybody confirm where non-Canadians can watch the Women's World Championship? I didn't see it on the ESPN3 site.

Apparently a few games are on NBCSN, some are on something called the Olympic Channel, and some are just streamed on one of those channels apps. I have no idea how to get those!

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/Features/2018/March/16/TV-and-webstream-coverage-of-WWCC-in-North-Bay

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

It's streamed live on youtube, does this work for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?WorldCurlingTV

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
New Canadian men's teams starting to come together. John Epping picked up Brett Laing and Craig Savill. Koe adds BJ Neufeld and Colton Fasch. Mike McEwen will join Carruthers to throw 4th stones.

Those three teams along with team Gushue and team Jacobs should be the best teams over the next four years. They all play out of different provinces, so should be in the Brier every year.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Inspector_666 posted:

You pretty much had to slide out of the hack, then use your gripper foot or knees to fling yourself forward and throw the stone at the same time. It was also pretty much impossible to not just grip the thing and seriously spin it while you did that.

Then the sweepers had to literally run after it. The three rocks we sat to score those points were the only ones that stayed in the house, and the vast majority didn't even make it to the opposite hockey blue line. (Although we did get it right to that "almost" point with regularity.)

Still an absolute shitload of fun. I was grouped up with some other randos and our instructor said we got the throwing motion faster/better than anybody he'd seen come through :smug:

EDIT: Here's one of my throws that I don't think cleared the midline
https://twitter.com/Low_rax/status/974124173579649024
(I didn't lunge forward from my knees like I should have.)

The whole thing is simultaneously easier and way harder than I thought it would be. I assumed I was going to flip over and break every bone in my body as soon as I released the stone, which wasn't the case at all. Also holy poo poo I'm woefully out of shape.

cool, that's the rink i curl at. my team just won the sunday late league championship :cool:

only problem there is that the rink being multi purpose/the zamboni being not very good/the temperature changing constantly have combined to create pretty much permanent ruts in the ice which the stones are sort of at the mercy of at all times. hopefully next year they come up with some way to keep it consistently flat but i won't hold my breath.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

a false posted:

cool, that's the rink i curl at. my team just won the sunday late league championship :cool:

only problem there is that the rink being multi purpose/the zamboni being not very good/the temperature changing constantly have combined to create pretty much permanent ruts in the ice which the stones are sort of at the mercy of at all times. hopefully next year they come up with some way to keep it consistently flat but i won't hold my breath.

Congrats! It seems like the leagues there are very well attended, even prior to the Olympics.

As far as the ice goes, there were noticeable pockmarks and scratches around. I would have probably cared more if we were even pretending to play properly. Chelsea Piers has two ice rinks, we shouldn't be at the mercy of the elements!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if you played a full match you'd have really noticed it, there were some really deep tracks that the stone would either get sort of stuck in or slingshot off the edge of and go way wide of the house. the sheet closest to the outside (towards the figure skating rink) was the worst for that, everything would veer super hard off to the sides

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wow, US women score a seven-ender against Korea to advance to the semifinals.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Wow, US women score a seven-ender against Korea to advance to the semifinals.

Is there any footage of this up somewhere? I missed the game and I have to see this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there any footage of this up somewhere? I missed the game and I have to see this.

Assuming you're American the game is here (cable subscription is required): https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/curling-ford-world-womens-championships-qualifications/

Otherwise the game is on the World Curling youtube page (but geoblocked for Americans). It's the 9th end where it happens.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Assuming you're American the game is here (cable subscription is required): https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/curling-ford-world-womens-championships-qualifications/

Thanks, I can never actually find the videos on that drat website on my own.

EDIT: Wow, what a series of events here. Hog line violation by Steak?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 24, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Women is live on NBCSN right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Inspector_666 posted:

Hog line violation by Steak?!

Mods plz new thread title.

• Locked thread