Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Solkanar512 posted:

So Danny McBride is playing Matt Hamilton in the eventual movie, right?

he's too old. Hamilton is the baby of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If we don't get a curling videogame after this then I'll welcome an industry crash.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrLonghair posted:

If we don't get a curling videogame after this then I'll welcome an industry crash.

I am sure there is an app.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

MrLonghair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KsqpJM_IE

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's OK that I haven't been able to stop watching highlight clips from the Men's final, right?

You can see the weight being lifted off of Shuster's shoulders after he nails down the fiver. :shobon:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I did it.

I signed up and went to a learn 2 curl night at a curling club.

It was a lot of fun.

The ice is longer than it looks on TV. It's hard as poo poo to balance on one foot, guide the rock, curl it and get it to go anywhere useful without falling on your rear end.

A+ would curl again.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The Brier is starting with the wildcard game on right now. On WatchESPN for people in the US.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
These guys get low on the delivery.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Inspector_666 posted:

I wish I had that kind of balance :sigh:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gret posted:

The Brier is starting with the wildcard game on right now. On WatchESPN for people in the US.

Whats the best way to watch previous draws?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Koirhor posted:

Whats the best way to watch previous draws?

Go on WatchESPN and search for Brier and you can watch the previous telecasts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've moved this to SAS main for Brier coverage. You're welcome.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Nice.

anyone have any advice for streaming it? I've found a couple :filez: TSN streams but they're awful. I'm in Canada, but have VPN access.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

You can watch on tsn.ca but you'll need a login from somebody with a cable package with pretty much anyone. Other than that, Curling Canada posts some of the games on Youtube after a day or two. Or shady Russian sites I guess.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Did a bonspiel (just for fun) with people from my company yesterday.

Holy gently caress I'm tired. 3 games, 6 ends per.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It's called the tuck. Went out of style except in manitoba. If you see someone throwing like that chances are they're from manitoba

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am officially taking a curling intro class on March 14th.

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's called the tuck. Went out of style except in manitoba. If you see someone throwing like that chances are they're from manitoba

I heard about the tuck when I was learning about curling lingo for the Olympics, but I only ever read the definition as referring to how only the ball of your foot is on the ice (like Matt Hamilton.) But the guy throwing third rock for McEwen was practically laying on the ice and it's fantastic.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

You might as well take some cartilage, bone, tendons, and ligaments, mix them up in a blender and inject them into your knee because that's what you'll get after 20 years of tuck delivery.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Cool so apparently I'm at the point where I'll sit and watch teenagers curling now.

EDIT: Somebody on USA just dropped an f-bomb that mic clearly picked up.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 5, 2018

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I wouldn’t mind trying curling someday, but I live in an area where curling is only mentioned in passing during the Olympics.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I am officially taking a curling intro class on March 14th.

I heard about the tuck when I was learning about curling lingo for the Olympics, but I only ever read the definition as referring to how only the ball of your foot is on the ice (like Matt Hamilton.) But the guy throwing third rock for McEwen was practically laying on the ice and it's fantastic.

Yeah BJ and Mike throw ridiculously low. They both use the old school corn broom all taped up as a stabilizer too. They are rad. Really hoping they can finally win a national championship at the brier this year.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I wouldn’t mind trying curling someday, but I live in an area where curling is only mentioned in passing during the Olympics.

Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised. There are decent-sized curling clubs in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Any recommendations on shoes? I'm thinking Goldline Swifts since they seem to have a thick slider (for an entry level shoe), the price is right and they don't look like total rear end.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HPL posted:

Any recommendations on shoes? I'm thinking Goldline Swifts since they seem to have a thick slider (for an entry level shoe), the price is right and they don't look like total rear end.

I really like my balance plus ones. Sample size of one, only kind I've ever used, not terribly expensive.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I've got some 15 year old Goldlines and they're still fast, comfortable, and in mostly good shape. I can heartily recommend Goldline. The only problem is the gripper foot is so worn down I could probably use it as a slider but I'm usually skip so it doesn't matter much and that's my fault, not Goldline's.

A couple newish players on my team have those Swifts and they seem happy with them. For a few extra bucks you can get a pair with the replaceable sliders which might be worth your money. If you're just starting out you probably want a slower, thinner slider to help your stability, but in a couple of years you'll want something faster so you can slide out to the hogline at full speed even on draws. Then it'll just cost you $75 for new sliders instead of a whole new set of shoes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't all the newer shoes have velcro-attached sliders and grippers?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The Swifts don't. Or they might be some that do, but the cheap ones don't. And I know a lot of the budget shoes from other brands don't.

As a sidenote, the velcro sliders have been a huge deal for left-handed curlers who don't have to pay a pile of extra money for left handed shoes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wow, the skips(?) for Nunavut and Manitoba use those big plastic grip things to balance on the delivery instead of their broom? I had kind of just assumed you had to use a broom (even if it was one of the taped up old ones) in competition.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Those stabilizers have a brush head on the side so they technically qualify as brooms

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Wow, the skips(?) for Nunavut and Manitoba use those big plastic grip things to balance on the delivery instead of their broom? I had kind of just assumed you had to use a broom (even if it was one of the taped up old ones) in competition.

Lots of skips are already laying their broom flat for delivery anyway. I've never done that, but the crutch has gotta be more comfortable than that. Amazingly there are very few rules against delivery aids. In Canada the rules are that it can't scratch the ice, and it can't be longer than 5 feet.

I use a crutch now, since I'm a beginner. If it wasn't for the fact that logistically it's a bit of a PITA to go back and fetch it after ends I'd probably say gently caress it and just keep using it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Those stabilizers have a brush head on the side so they technically qualify as brooms

They do, but those are more for being able to clean off a rock with them. The rules don't actually say anything about what you use as a sliding device.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

leftist heap posted:

Amazingly there are very few rules against delivery aids. In Canada the rules are that it can't scratch the ice, and it can't be longer than 5 feet.

CellBlock posted:

The rules don't actually say anything about what you use as a sliding device.

That's actually really cool.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

leftist heap posted:

I use a crutch now, since I'm a beginner. If it wasn't for the fact that logistically it's a bit of a PITA to go back and fetch it after ends I'd probably say gently caress it and just keep using it.

Yeah, in cases like that, you want to either get a second one, so you can just keep one at each end, or see if you can get the vice to take it to the other end when they hold the broom for the skip. (Or just start playing vice.)

At my club, we just keep one at each end of each sheet. They're really easy to make; you can make one out of a few dollars worth of PVC. https://curldc.org/data/154/documents/stabilizer-how-to-make.pdf

EDIT: And when you make your own, you can do fun stuff like make it into a giant flask.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wow that triple.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Team Quebec look so French Canadian.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I think I like this new format. Every team except Nunavut is at least competitive. Nothing too unexpected so far but that championship pool is going to be real close and everybody except Jacobs is a cool and fun team.

Also I didn't know John Epping (Ontario skip) was gay and it's cool to see a gay athlete in a team sport, especially one as conservative as curling.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

CellBlock posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised. There are decent-sized curling clubs in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California.

I’m in central IL. I think the closest curling club that I know of is in St Louis, which is a couple hours away.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m in central IL. I think the closest curling club that I know of is in St Louis, which is a couple hours away.

Yeah, unless Waltham is closer, then you're stuck for the moment.

For anyone else, here's a map of the curling clubs in the US. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1lJalmmF1kLUaoU6-pOzPdPX9SL-4nrU7&ll=49.84974878126443%2C-109.46749770000008&z=3

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo that takeout by Alberta just now :captainpop:

EDIT: and then the follow-up takeout by Team Canada :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Miz Kriss posted:

There used to be a pretty robust one in Bloomington IL - and still might be but their pages haven't been updated in forever, so I have no idea.

• Locked thread