Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

McStabby posted:

I noticed this last night during their time out. She had a better idea, John and the coach convinced her that John's idea was better, then he hosed up the throw. It happened a couple of other times during the game that allowed Norway to steal.

Hopefully it’s just people unfamiliar with each other falling into their regular skip/third roles. I wonder what the dynamic would have been with the planned Morris/Homan pair as they’d both be used to calling the shots.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Oh yeah so, curling experts, under what conditions are you allowed to start brushing in front of your opponent's stones? Do they have to cross a particular line first, or is it just any time you want but if that's the case, what stops you from getting into counter-sweeping tangled battles in the house?

You can sweep the other team’s shot behind the t-line (the line that cuts across the centre of the rings). Usually by then it will be clear enough what will happen that only one team will want to sweep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chicken posted:

So at the world men's curling championships, the Americas get two spots and up until five years ago, they went to Canada and the US by default. But for the past five years some Brazilian guys who live in Canada have been trying to get in as Brazil.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/continental-cup-canada-brazil-curling-1.4486222

I love stories about random countries trying to qualify for big events. I also like how it sounds like curling Canada just called different teams until they found someone that had a free weekend to deal with it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

who the hell said the canadian duo wouldn't gel they already have gold medals

like the swiss give up early

Their golds are with their real teams. They played together for the first time a month ago. It probably doesn’t matter since they are probably the two best individual players here anyways, but how they work together is as close to a weakness as they have.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tolly Totes posted:

I haven't watched any of the team curling matches yet, but I've very much enjoyed the mixed doubles format so far. Therefore, as I understand it, Kaitlyn Lawes is the greatest curler in the world.
Lawes is part of Jennifer Jones team from the last Olympics so she’s like the 2nd best player on the second best team in the world so pretty close.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tolly Totes posted:

I'm almost scared to see the women's team that apparently beat her team

They probably aren’t much better than Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn’s team was at one point the dominant team but they are all 10-15 years older than her and she was brought to replace an older player. The team that beat her is all around her age.

Between them, they’ve won 5 of the last 6 Canadian championships (3-2 Homan) but Homan and friends are set to dominate for the foreseeable future while Lawes’ team is just going to get worse. But that doesn’t really apply to Kaitlyn’s individual skills.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Wait canada only gets a loving beanie baby?

They do the teddy bear at the arena for the benefit of the people at the event and then there’s the full medal ceremony later at a central location.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tied without hammer in the tenth is pretty much a lost cause anyways so you might as well give yourself a chance and it doesn’t matter if you lose by 1 or 4...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Would that disqualify the team or they put in there extra?

It was the dude from the mixed doubles team so they’d lose their medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Lmao at the cbc commentators making GBS threads all over Shuster

They are talking about his strategy like he’s a five year old who’s never curled before.

Shuster: I’m not sure that’s the best shot.
Announcer: I am.

• Locked thread