Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm not so sure on this.mixed doubles thing. I guess I'm a curling traditionalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I think there are lots of other olympic sports with multiple team events, and I think different team events of a given sport may have players who are great at two or more, and other players who specialize, and I think that's fine either way. I assume in most free countries it's up to the athletes to decide which team events to try out for, and earn their spot based on their performance as a team, or in some cases, as individuals.

It sounds like you look at mixed doubles as an inferior or easier event that is just an automatic medal for any medal-quality teams in the non-mixed regular curling event. I don't think that assumption will bear out.

Josh Lyman posted:

However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

I agree with leperflesh on this one, but mostly lol if you think that the USA is coming away with a medal in men's or women's curling. Embrace the weirdness and novelty of mixed doubles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Renegret posted:

How are those little beads on the ice made? I think someone said they spray water on the ice?

How often is the water sprayed? Can there a problem where after a while the entire play field is over swept and there's nothing left to sweep? Is it possible that a certain area has been swept so much that the ice is nice and smooth and the rock just decides to not curl even though you're team's not touching it?

Curling is fun. My Fiance's cousin is part of the local curling club and I only live like 15 minutes from it. He invited me to a charity event where you get to throw a stone for every bunch of money donated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFC8CnOD8w

It's called pebbling and is traditionally done by a man with a jug of water and a stick. Seriously. It's a real art.

Typically the ice will be scraped between draws of a bonspiel/ tournament to give it a flat surface then repebbled. There's a crazy amount of work that goes into making sure the ice is consistent for play.

seiferguy posted:

I feel like there needs to be a curling bad boy / girl. A heel, so to speak. Someone that breaks all the curling customs, screams "gently caress YEAH!" then talks poo poo to the opponent when they land a shot. Then we get Curling hot takes.
The Brad Jacobs rink had some means gazes and comments sent their way when they hit the scene if I'm remembering it right, because they had the gall to cheer and whoop a bit when they were making good shots.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

iospace posted:

At least for speed skating, all they need is a zamboni pass to get it ready.

That's definitely a lot more involved.

It's an art.

Also, Men With Brooms is a very good curling movie.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chicken posted:

Brad Jacobs is an rear end in a top hat and I won't hear anything to the contrary.

There was an interview with him about the celebrating and he came across as a bit of a dick. I can definitely see him as a curling bro.

Please don't tell me glenn howard was also a mean guy :ohdear:

Renegret posted:

Neat
Thanks
I'm a very behind the scenes kind of person and for some reason I'm super interested in how it works.

Watch Men With Brooms, it shows you how a team trains and supports each other through the training for a major tournament.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

quote:

Advanced Class
Something interesting to note is that this will be the final Olympics with the four rock rule in the free guard zone. The various governing bodies of curling are implementing a five rock rule that will start up with the next Olympic cycle, which essentially begins this coming fall.

This will alter the desirable characteristics for seconds, as their role for straight up heavy-hitting will diminish as they will have to have a bit more finesse with their first rock in ends with the hammer. I'm liking it because it might lead to more ticking, or at least attempts at it.

Personally, I don't really see why the four rock rule was ever a thing in the first place. The three rock rule was there to help a trailing team establish a guard; five rock rule helps them establish two. Maybe four rocks was a necessary step to get it to where it really needed to be.

I've always been a bit lost on the #-rock rules. I get that you don't want guards peeled constantly for blanks, but it always seemed to me that the early guards are there more to help the team without the hammer clutter up the house and force the hammer to take points if they can't steal. what's the difference between 4 and 5? How many ends really shape up where not letting the second from the team without the hammer peel is a detriment?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tolly Totes posted:

How does the selection process for Curling teams work? Do they take already very successful teams and send them to the olympics or do they attempt to make some sort of super team with standouts from multiple teams?

I haven't watched any of the team curling matches yet, but I've very much enjoyed the mixed doubles format so far. Therefore, as I understand it, Kaitlyn Lawes is the greatest curler in the world.

Canada has a big tournament, the teams are the ones who compete normally on the circuit/ in bonspiels, winner goes to the olympics. There's very little all star teaming outside of the occasional fun event.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chicken posted:

All this means guards are less effective as you can make a low weight takeout directly behind a high guard or you can easily peel two guards that aren't placed quite correctly. The five rock rule basically allows the team without hammer to set up three guards which are pretty unlikely to be removed in one shot. That gives the team a one rock buffer to play with and even a great hitting team won't be able to clear all the center guards until the third's shots at the very earliest. For the team with hammer you have more options but also more risk: you can play corner guards on each side, staggered corner guards on one side, a guard and a draw on one side, bury two rocks behind the center guards, or some combination. Every team will have different strategies depending on the score and it will be interesting to see what wins out. More rocks in play means cooler shots in my opinion.

Cheers, I've always looked at it as a minor detriment, but the one extra rock didn't make a huge difference. Hopefully it leads to more chaotic "10 rocks in the house" type ends. Those are always great to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Go Homan.

• Locked thread