Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
So the NHL is not sending any players to the Olympics, and their restrictions also apply to a whole ton of AHL and ECHL players, which means a bunch of the best aren't going. Which means we get to see the likes of Rob Klinkhammer and Mike Testwuide (who is playing for South Korea for some reason?) with a shot at the gold medal.

Realistically, though, the so-called Olympic Athletes from Russia team has the best shot, with former NHL players like Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Grigorenko, Voynov, etc. The US's best player is probably uh... James Wisniewski, if his knees aren't completely shredded still? Or Mark Arcobello? And Canada's best is maybe Linden Vey? Or Ben Scrivens. This is not going to be the tournament it once was.

Here's a full list of team rosters.

And here's the schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is gonna be a poo poo tourney this year tbh

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Yeah this is keeping the shitpost tag to start for sure

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
only watching this to watch russia gently caress up

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

corn on the cop posted:

only watching this to watch russia gently caress up

it's not the Olympics until Russia fucks up in hockey

that being said, it would have to be a really monumental gently caress up for that to happen this time hth

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Wisconsin, where Tony Granato coaches the men's team, created a video of him, Mark Johnson (women's hockey coach, son of Bob Johnson), and Paul Chryst (football coach) talking about how the USA team came together. Good news: they'll have 5 practices together!
https://twitter.com/UWBadgers/status/961390560819937281

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Quick reminder that the lack of NHL players in this tournament is entirely because of the IOC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I refuse to believe a scenario where Bettman isnt the bad guy

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that article uses the word "pusillanimity"

lmbo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I refuse to believe a scenario where the IOC isn't the bad guy

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They can both be bad. (They are.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

glynnenstein posted:

It's this.

Looking forward to how bad the German team is gonna be under these circumstances.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hell, same

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

glynnenstein posted:

Anyone who gets in the way of athletes participating in the olympics, for any reason besides “the athletes are doping”, is a shithead and their reasons are stupid

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

let’s go canada oh gently caress ya bud

:canada:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PJ Stock doing intermission commentary for literally all the games. :shepicide:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

yellowcar posted:

PJ Stock doing intermission commentary for literally all the games. :shepicide:

Just get don on, or Dave randorf.
I will always have fond memories of the guy chugging two beers in the background of one of the 2010 intermissions.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So is Russia going to win because they're sending the KHL all star team or w/e, or is it more complicated than that?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
is the khl all russian players or are there players from other countries? I got the impression the KHL poached a lot of scandanavians from the NHL

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is the khl all russian players or are there players from other countries? I got the impression the KHL poached a lot of scandanavians from the NHL

It's predominantly Russians, with rules to make sure it is (much like how Korean and Japanese baseball works). The non-Russian teams are allowed to have more non-native players, but I think it's at most 5 or 6 for the Russian teams.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazak_Hstan posted:

So is Russia going to win because they're sending the KHL all star team or w/e, or is it more complicated than that?

Yeah I was wondering this too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn this is the flyers game from last night all over again.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
lol USA

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
What the gently caress USA

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

a lot of crazy poo poo can happen when most of your team is not very good

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Hey Team USA: hockey games are traditionally three 20-minute periods

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s my fault guys. I started watching the game and hosed things up.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
This is why "No Seriously Hear Me Out: The Womens Hockey Thread" is a dumb name for that thread especially if you're American. The American women are always a better follow than then men.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mich posted:

This is why "No Seriously Hear Me Out: The Womens Hockey Thread" is a dumb name for that thread especially if you're American. The American women are always a better follow than then men.

Yeah I just read the thread and I’m pissed that I didn’t watch anything yet. The NBC app wasn’t doing me any favors till I just used filter more aggressively.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Slovenia

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slovenia sans Kopitar just overwhelming the U.S :lol:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Russia lost to Slovakia lmao

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first 15 minutes or so and they looked pretty okay, what happened?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
This has been a great day for hockey.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Is Jagr playing for the Czech team?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
No, I think he said he wasn't in shape enough or something

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
:negative:

Olympic men's hockey really sucks in every way this year.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It’s always weird adjusting to how big the olympic ice is. 3-3 on that sheet is nuts.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Is OT 3v3 in the knockout rounds as well?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

Is OT 3v3 in the knockout rounds as well?

10 minutes of 4 on 4 (20 min in the gold medal game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Norways first period against Sweden was really really bad, but at least they've been competitive in the second and first half of the third.

And there Sweden scored another.

• Locked thread