Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
National Signing Day 2018 is here! Who won? UGAs class is probably better than some current P5 teams.
24/7 Composite Final Rankings
    1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Texas
    4. USC
    5. Penn State
    6. Clemson
    7. Alabama
    8. Miami
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Notre Dame
And last year's top 10:
    1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Georgia
    4. USC
    5. Michigan
    6. FSU
    7. LSU
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Auburn
    10. Florida

What is the best part of following recruiting?
The name game, bar none. Not only do you find out the members of the all-name team years before everyone else, you find out about the ones that may or may not contribute.

Some of my favorites this year:
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Bumper Pool
Knowledge Smith
Legend Moore
Kasvosiey Smoke
Bubba Baxa
Shocky Jacque-Louis
Rocky Jacque-Louis

Recruiting sites:
While this thread is a great resource for keeping up with recruiting on a national level, if you want to follow a specific team, you probably want to subscribe to one of the three main services.

The main issue with picking which service to follow is the school to which you owe allegiance. For VT, for example, 24/7 is currently king of the mountain, but it wasn't all that long ago that Rivals was. So do your research before dropping any of your hard-earned :10bux: just to be on the bleeding edge of recruiting info.

Which kid gives my team the most fantasy recruiting points?!
Early watch lists are out now, they're all guaranteed to change quite a bit over the next year as new players emerge, more well-known ones drop in the rankings, and kids move up. Everything is dynamic and constantly in flux. That said, here's the early overall rankings:
Things to follow during the spring/summer:
    Spring Games: For many schools this is a huge recruiting event, and can draw a crowd that'd be considered huge for a game day at smaller schools.
    Junior Days: Time for the fresh crop of next year's recruits to hit campus, take in practice so they can see what they're getting themselves into coaching wise, and get a feel for their top schools.
    Camps: Recruits also come to camp to be seen competing. A great opportunity for less-scouted players to have a shot at a scholly or a walk-on offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Thank God that Mullen got Emory Jones so that we don't have some twig of a pocket passer running into linebackers next season. It's truly unfortunate that this is offset by Georgia recruiting like circa 2000 Miami.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2019 5-stars

UGA: 3
Rest of top 10 teams combined: 4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
How dare you leave out Chance Poore, Kicker for Kentucky

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Bumper Pool has to be fake. I don't believe that's a real name.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

D.N. Nation posted:

2019 5-stars

UGA: 3
Rest of top 10 teams combined: 4

bagman working overtime

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee got a commit today from legacy 4-star OL Jackson Lampley out of Nashville.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Thank God that Mullen got Emory Jones so that we don't have some twig of a pocket passer running into linebackers next season. It's truly unfortunate that this is offset by Georgia recruiting like circa 2000 Miami.

Floridas ridiculous 2010 class busting out gives me hope.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT snags a local 4* OG.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2018

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU gonna clean up this year

quote:

In late July Willie Taggart is going to have a Saturday Night Live event. He used the same name while he was at USF and Oregon. However, Im told the plan is to get rid of the camp/workout portion and turn it into more of a cookout, hangout or Junior Day type event. The details are still being worked out, but I also expect former FSU players to be in attendance as well.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 9, 2018

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!
Ohio State's only current commit is a 4* T from West Virginia, and the top T in the country is also from West Virginia.

This is like the best class from West Virginia ever is what I'm saying.

Anyways, top Buckeye targets for the year.

5* DE Zach Harrison - Olentangy Ohio
He's literally in the backyard of the school and might be the most freakish DE I can remember in Ohio football. 6'6 240 at age 16. Oh, he's also his team's leading receiver. He runs the anchor for the 4x100 and 4x400 on a regional/state caliber team and physically mauled everyone older than him at camp the last two years. He's a must-have, and I'd be floored if the staff wasn't literally sleeping on his doorstep at this point.

4* QB Grant Tisdale - Allen Texas
Fantastic zone-read/option quarterback with good quickness and moves. Flutters deep balls a bit but has awesome touch so it might now matter. Looks eerily similar to early pre-knee injury JT Barrett in terms of movement and release. Hopefully he never meets Tim Beck/picks up the late Barrett wind-up/slowness.

5* RB Noah Cain - IMG
Do-everything RB. Long-strider who's surprisingly elusive and strong. Doesn't look like he's breaking away but seems to do so almost every time. I'll be really curious what he looks like at IMG, given that he put up his stats at a school of similar repute.

4* RB Devyn Ford - Stafford Virginia
Ford is an all-purpose back who is fairly shifty and quick. Catches and runs well. He's not going to be great between the tackles unless he eats a cheeseburger, because he's listed at 180 and there's no way he's more than 165.

4* RB Sampson James - Avon Indiana
Big bruiser back who's deceptively fast. Perfect north/south type but really doesn't have the best agility/moves. Awesome platoon candidate

4* WR Trey Knox - Murfeesboro TN
Tall, long-strider who looks to be really really hard to tackle and makes some difficult catches. I worry about initial separation and quickness, but he's probably a downfield/flanker type anyways. Might even be a TE if he gets a little bigger.

4* WR David Bell - Indianapolis IN
Prototypical Meyer receiver of average height but fantastic release and acceleration. Takes some dumb angles and T-rexs it at times.

4* G Zeke Correll - Anderson, OH
Standard highly athletic, slightly undersized guard.

5* T Darnell Wright - Huntington, WV
Best tackle prospect by upside in a while. 6'6 290 and could add 30 pounds without an issue, awesome bend. Has some lazy technique from getting to play against subpar competition.

4* T Doug Nester - Huntington, WV
Only current commit in the class. Big, angry mauler of a tackle with seriously bad pass blocking technique. May move inside at the next level. Huge.

4* T Ryan Jacoby - Mentor, OH
Athletic zone blocking type who needs to put on weight but could play any position on the line if he does.

5* T Devontae Dobbs - Michigan
Freakishly athletic but about 40 pounds too light right now. Awesome technical blocker who is let down by lack of heft, particularly in passing. Will end up playing for Sparty likely, but could end up being the best in the class if he develops

3* DE Noah Potter - Mentor, OH
His brother plays for the basketball team, and he's apparently a pretty good player as well. Very athletic, fast run stopper/edge defender who plays against the hardest teams in the state. Needs to gain 20 pounds.

4* DT Jowon Briggs - Cincinnati, OH
I don't think he gets pulled away from Notre Dame, but he's a very athletic 3-5 tech type who plays with awesome pad level and quickness. Needs some hand techniques to become a complete player.

4* DT Tyler Davis - Apopka, FL
Fast, violent pass-rushing DT who gets his hands everywhere. He's a little shorter and a lot lighter than he needs to be (6'1" 260), but he could develop into a freak if he gets another inch or two of height and puts weight on at the hip.

4* LB Cade Stover - Lexington, OH
Tall, rangy LB who wraps up well and plays RB on the side. All the athleticism needed, desperately needs some coverage help because he can get clowned by guys much slower than him

4* CB Sheridan Jones - Virginia Beach, VA
Fast, cover corner who looks straight out of the Ohio State mold. Good tackler. Needs work on hand techniques and double move coverage since he won't be outclassing guys at the next level.

4* S Daxton HIll - Tulsa, OK
Competitive, fast safety/WR prospect with impressive catch range. Seems to get lost in coverage or overplay zones at times but has problems that are very coachable.

4* ATH Ronnie Hickman - Wayne, NJ
Fast, space-oriented athlete who could play RB, WR, S, or CB depending on how he feels. I like him at CB or WR the best, since he catches well and has awesome anticipation with the ball. Doesn't break tackles or get through contact as well as he should at 200 pounds.

4* ATH Jaylin Simpson - Georgia
Ludicriously fast and shifty athlete who will be a dominant scatback/H-back/Corner wherever he goes. Slightly undersized but can't be beat in a footrace.

4* ATH Milton Wright - Louisville, KY
Fast powerful running receiver who could play S or CB too. He's really hard to tackle, bit of a long-strider lacking some true deep speed. Probably at home running over the middle of the field

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently if UGA stopped recruiting its 2019 class, it still be like 75th or so. And thats wti like 3 or 4 guys.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

buddhanc posted:

I still can't believe A&M is signing a guy named Charlie strong

Sometimes I really do think all of existence is rendered through a comedy option

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Hickman is good enough to be on OSU's radar? He seems like a borderline **** type.

For Jean-Bapiste, I think I've studied him more than most. I really don't see it. When I see OSU, I think they can do way, way better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is off to a good start for 2019 with two 4* tackles already committed (they'll probably get bumped down later because recruiting sites don't make money hyping long time Iowa commits but still), plus a TE who is right on the 3/4 line. It's a really good year in state by Iowa standards, including QB Max Duggan, who has one of the best offer lists I've ever seen for an Iowa high school player, especially a QB. I imagine he'll wind up somewhere else though, it's hard to see a high profile QB wanting to play at Iowa.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

it's hard to see a high profile QB wanting to play at Iowa.

If you don't believe in Iowa, why should any of us?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LLCoolJD posted:

If you don't believe in Iowa, why should any of us?

because we'll still end up finding some upper 2* kid from a small town who responds well to the Iowa work ethic who will end up being a serviceable starter for 2-3 years.

Iowa has had marquee QBs in the past, but they are the exception, not the rule. Brad Banks was not supposed to turn out quite like he did, and before that it was a bunch of mediocrity until you get back to Chuck Long. After Banks it's been a series of serviceable to decent starters (those get drafted by an NFL team and spend some time as a 2nd/3rd stringer) with an occasional foray into not very good (hey Jake Christensen).

meanwhile we'll put them behind 5 heavyweight wrestlers crafted into beasts by one of the best OL minds in the game and have them throw to a collection of farm boy tight ends who will get drafted and stay in the NFL for years and we'll put out a defense with one great unit, one good unit, and one unit that is a year away from being good/great until the heat death of the universe. Occasionally we will be slightly better than usual for exactly one year, occasionally we will be slightly worse than usual (for 2-3 years, just long enough for whichever Ferentz occupies our head coaching position to get his seat nice and toasty before he puts together an 8 win season with a big upset that starts us trending upwards again.

Iowa Football is nothing if not consistent if you consider the long term.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will not stand for this slander of my beloved Drew Tate. Also Stanzi randomly went from pick six throwing garbage to one of the most efficient passers in the country as a senior but no one noticed because the defense got like 15% worse and they lost all the close games on last second drives

They haven't actually signed anyone that high profile since Tate and Christensen (lol) though. It's been mostly mid tier three star guys that occasionally break through to become servicable. They do technically have a 4* QB in this year's class but he was a long time Oregon St. commit with a pretty meh offer list so I'm not getting too excited

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 9, 2018

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Ha! When we hired our last OC under Beamer, the useless poo poo known as Scot Loeffler, it was initially announced that our primary target was Chuck Long. When he was only coaching high school. Talk about a fanbase meltdown, holy gently caress was that fun to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Long did an alright job as co-OC/QB coach with OU but then sucked unbelievable amounts of rear end as a HC with SD St. There is somehow still a vocal minority of old Iowa fans who think he's a future head coaching candidate for Iowa though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Also you psychopaths please don't tweet at croots. Just throwing it out there

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

vyst posted:

Also you psychopaths please don't tweet at croots. Just throwing it out there

I seriously considered including that section again this year, but just didn't because I haven't seen it come up on SA. But yeah, don't tweet underage kids, friends.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

I seriously considered including that section again this year, but just didn't because I haven't seen it come up on SA. But yeah, don't tweet underage kids, friends.

ok but what about the ones that are 18 and what if im nice and dont yell at them

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

Floridas ridiculous 2010 class busting out gives me hope.

UF recruiting might be tricky for a while because McElwain burned bridges in Orlando and Jax, Taggart is a Tampa guy, and South Florida and Atlanta are always battlegrounds.

2010 type classes also need booster enthusiasm because those really get locked up with those extra benefits and family jobs/living arrangements type deals for the high end guys, Mullen will probably have to do some winning and then win over some spenders to go all-in.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

ok but what about the ones that are 18 and what if im nice and dont yell at them

Then you belong in that trash can with Butch.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Then you belong in that trash can with Butch.

geez could have just said no

I'm kidding don't tweet croots. Hell, don't tweet college kids either

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

geez could have just said no

I'm kidding don't tweet croots. Hell, don't tweet college kids either

I mean with that new avatar it was just there for the taking how could i not

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TBF I've had this one since before the UGA game I think. I need a new one. I just haven't come up with anything yet. I'd like a positive one about Pruitt but there's not really a lot of material yet.

And I'll probably just get a baseball one soon anyway. Or go off script and get a UT basketball for the first time ever.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

TBF I've had this one since before the UGA game I think. I need a new one. I just haven't come up with anything yet. I'd like a positive one about Pruitt but there's not really a lot of material yet.

And I'll probably just get a baseball one soon anyway. Or go off script and get a UT basketball for the first time ever.

The roundball team is doing a lot better than I would have expected.

I too could use a new avatar, but it's so hard to come up with good ideas I can execute these days. Just so much lazier about having the right software to do cool things.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I too have been feeling the need for a new avatar but no idea what to get

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
UW Huskies continuing their strategy of "grab a bunch of good QBs and not much else" with top 4 QB Dylan Morris.

Also what the gently caress Georgia

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
2019 is looking like it's going to be a dogfight between OU/UT/A&M.

OU is already off to a fairly hot start ranked #5 in the 247 composite

#1 QB Spencer Rattler
4* TE Austin Stogner
4* WR Trejan Bridges
4* RB Isaiah Spiller
3* DT Derek Green (I think this guy is gonna rise quite a bit. After committing to us he started picking up some SEC interest/offers)

OU has already had one Junior day on Jan 21 and have another one coming up on Feb 17.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/vols_insider/status/962722451141644288

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pruitt never recruited before?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Pruitt not used to being turned down, I guess. Welcome to the real world, dude.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crotch Bat posted:

Pruitt not used to being turned down, I guess. Welcome to the real world, dude.

Went from Saban --> Jimbo --> Richt --> Saban.

Extremely different recruiting for Tennessee. Thought he could squeeze commits to stop talking to other schools. You can do that if you're Saban's Alabama

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If thats even real (the guy that runs that acct is an idiot and regularly gets in Twitter fight) I wonder who he could even be referring to.

Maybe Copeland? His family was surprised and upset that he picked UF. Quay Walker grabbed the UT hat first but his family seemed surprised he did and they werent expecting him to pick UT.

Id put money on it being Jordan Young, the WR that wound up at FSU. There wasnt anyone else that was seemingly a hard lock that went somewhere else.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane did the best in recruiting since I've cared about them. The rest of the AAC is in for pain in the future.
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tulane/article_05e58274-0c64-11e8-a6ec-87107ad72f66.html

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Clemson is going to be taking a huge class this year. Should be at least 30 and get larger depending on transfers and people leaving early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

They have been playing with fire a bit with their really small classes. I know they tend to be a bit more focused in as opposed to the scatter shot approach to offering players, but its amazing they havent really run into depth issues.