Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Oh, brilliant.

We have a new Doctor! And she's falling to her death! Oh no! Presumably, the Doctor survives the fall (because it would be very stupid to have a regeneration last about 90 seconds of life) to go on adventures with three companions, all of which are certainly people named Graham, Ryan, and Yasmin. Doctor Who returns in...the Autumn? That's kind of a ways away. There's not much going on right now with regards to Doctor Who-related TV as the show is currently being filmed, and there's no spin-off or animated reconstruction announced for 2018. It's a hiatus thread, alright!

So...yeah. The problem with the time between 'Doctor regenerates' and 'new Doctor has a show' is that there is nothing involving the new Doctor in non-TV material. No comics, no books, no nothing. You can hear all the old Doctors do radio dramas, but we'll get to that later. For now, though, we'll discuss how writer x is terrible and ruined Doctor Who forever, only for writer y to write a Big Finish script that redeems Doctor Who. Oh, and don't ask about how the thread got its subtitle.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Pilot. This doesn't mean to disregard the nine series from 2005-2016, but it's a good getting-on point. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're an American, you're in luck! You can watch the original run of Doctor Who both on TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations) and online (via BritBox*)! Canadians get BritBox, too. If you're not North American scum, I'm sorry but you'll have to buy or rent the episodes on DVD.

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - Netflix
USA - Amazon Video
Canada - CraveTV
Australia - Netflix & Stan

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with almost every serial missing at least one episode.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 235th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy (and later, David Warner) plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures line of books.

Novel Adaptations
Based on Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Missing Adventures, the book ranges that lasted Doctor Who fans from 1991 to 1997.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War / Ravenous
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

The Ones with Fake Doctors
The First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, and the Ninth/Tenth/Eleventh Doctor Chronicles feature people who are not the original actors playing the roles of the title Doctor. If you're OK with that, by all means give them a try.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD WITH A VENGEANCE
It's on hiatus! Watch in amazement as the forums user currently known as Lick! The! Whisk! puts his writing skills to the test in describing his thoughts on the most recent series. They will be wrong.

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

So, yeah. That's about it for everything. Not much happened 10 years ago in the Doctor Who threads. So....there you go!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, you've redecorated....

I don't like it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonderful threads

All of them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JOKE DRAWN FROM SHOW MATERIAL

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Every time we start a new thread (well done btw) I get the feeling we should rewrite a few of those BF recommendations. Some parts are inaccurate (Dorian Gray technically isn't a spinoff, for one) and I think a bit ungenerous.

I wouldn't mind redrafting it, if that's okay with everyone?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The next thread should just be that super creepy Tom Baker drawing from the last thread. That's all. Nothing else in the OP.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thread title explanation, for the lucky few who haven't heard it yet

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Whenever something about solar flares being blocked by trees in one episode counteract with lore, this guy appears (and yes he not Ian I know).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OP fails to mention The War Doctor series. Please rectify

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

New thread!

.... the windows are the wrong size!

:argh:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 9, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Dalek voice*

Rosie ball. Ro-sie ball! RO-SIE BALL!!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Personally I'm a big fan of how he just starts off by saying "i attended wanking lessons" like its nothing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Rhyno posted:

JOKE DRAWN FROM SHOW MATERIAL

:golfclap:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeficientClutteredBluetickcoonhound-mobile.mp4

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

OP fails to mention The War Doctor series. Please rectify

Sadly, the series is not ongoing.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Every time we start a new thread (well done btw) I get the feeling we should rewrite a few of those BF recommendations. Some parts are inaccurate (Dorian Gray technically isn't a spinoff, for one) and I think a bit ungenerous.

I wouldn't mind redrafting it, if that's okay with everyone?

I'm going to be honest, I have changed exactly one part of the Spin-offs line since I wrote the original Guide to Big Finish. Maoist Banker added the links to my original guide, and so I assumed Dorian Gray was some spin-off that I knew nothing about. If you want to add depth, go ahead and write one out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I just listened to that Tom Baker audio clip

:stonklol:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want new episodes now.

I think I'd prefer one story per month, 12 months of the year, with no broadcast breaks, than this "let's go for 12 weeks" thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The solution is obvious: In the off-season we have a 6-8 episode season of "The Eighth Doctor" starring Paul McGann. I even wrote up a business plan for the BBC, which I'll share with you all now:

quote:

It would kick enormous amounts of rear end if there was a 6-8 episode season each year of "The Eighth Doctor" starring Paul McGann. Thank you.

It's an airtight argument.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/961939529765654529

New thread new Big Finish news. All the old CD only Gallifrey releases are now available on download, plus some discounts to celebrate.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of Big Finish, they recently had a discount clearout of some older stock:
Got myself the complete Sarah Jane Smith range:

I miss Liz Sladen. :smith:

This - which is hopefully going to be either fantastically great, or fantastically awful based soley on the title:

I hope, anyway :v:

And some Benny Summerfield:

Because, holy gently caress, is it too expensive to get hold of some of them second hand online, and I've never ever seen any of them in the wild - did once see a near complete collection of Target Books when I was younger, but couldn't afford them.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there anywhere to stream the new Xmas episode? I got all caught up on amazon prime, but they don't have the latest Xmas one yet.

The BBCA app does not even list Dr Who as a show to watch, unless I am somehow using the app wrong.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

badjohny posted:

Is there anywhere to stream the new Xmas episode? I got all caught up on amazon prime, but they don't have the latest Xmas one yet.

The BBCA app does not even list Dr Who as a show to watch, unless I am somehow using the app wrong.

iTunes has it but you would need to buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

badjohny posted:

From what I recall it goes live for Prime on the 13th, the day of the physical release.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

iTunes has it but you would need to buy it.

You can also buy it through Amazon Prime, it just isn't free yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: There's nothing unique about Charley

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Charley try to return to 1930s Earth but find themselves on a nameless planet occupied by savages who cannot think and a documentary crew filming them for alien benefactors. When ANOTHER Charley shows up, the 6th Doctor takes a leaf out of the 8th Doctor's book.

What Worked/What Didn't:
  • + The setup. I love the idea of a planet where the inhabitants have lost "civilization" and can barely string more than a few words together before flying into a rage, and the quiet desperation of the "crew" set up in little compounds around the globe entirely reliant on regular shipments of drugs to maintain their own intelligence. Is the paranoia, simmering rage and clear personal resentments of the various characters a suitable reaction to what is happening, or just a sign that the drugs are wearing off? Can you even trust your own feelings when you may just be falling apart mentally? Best of all it happens gradually (but the speed does pick-up) so there are several great moments where you (and the other characters) realize that characters who are argumentative or debating a point are actually becoming more and more unhinged and in turn more dangerous.

• + The Viyrans. For once these guys are actually effectively used. Before now the writing has never really lived up to the notion that they're some amazing higher power within the universe that even the Time Lords don't know much about; which coincidentally is another pet peeve of mine, for masters of all time and space the Time Lords sure seem to not know a lot. But here they are extremely well written as detached and callously efficient. They are without morality, there only concern is to complete the mission they have been given by an unknown force: to wipe out all the viruses unleashed by the Dalek Time Controller in Patient Zero. That they made a mistake in their attempts to do this on Earth, and the eventual reveal of just how slim the chances of the actual virus actually doing anything are... well it works very well to demonstrate their instrinsic alien nature. These things have nothing in common with human sensibilities or concerns, a completely different morality and a perspective on acceptable losses that makes them monstrous in an entirely different way than the Daleks, and more akin to how the Cybermen SHOULD be written but rarely are.

• + The Doctor's solution. For most of the story, the Doctor is kept separate from both Charleys as well as the Viyrans. The man most capable of fixing everything is kept away from the main players, dealing with the supporting characters and doing what he can to escape the compound as everything falls apart. This is necessary because the drama has to be developed and they can't do that if the Doctor is just there to sort it all out. There is a neat clashing of philosophies as the Doctor struggles to find a cure for the virus while the Viyrans' look to just wipe the experiment "clear", but what is most admirable is how the Doctor takes onboard and adapts to the new information as it comes in. Even when it is something as bizarre as learning there are TWO Charleys, or trying to wrap his head around Charley's true origin, or learning just what the Viyrans have done (and not done). Best of all is when he learns that Charley (mistakenly believes she) saw his final death, and his reaction is a comforting,"Everybody dies v:shobon:v". Colin Baker, as always, does a marvelous job as his desperation builds but he refuses to accept that there are no better solutions. And he finds one, of course, even if that just ends up exposing a whole other problem.

• - The two Charleys. While the sheer vitriol both have for the other is amusing, this conclusion to the "Imposter Charley" arc is as underwhelming as the rest of the arc was, because in all honesty it made no difference which was which. The whole thing was terribly mishandled, as "Mila" proved to be a non-character in every sense. Her complete co-opting of Charley's existence meant that the "fake" Charley was just the regular Charley 99.9% of the time, and the other 0.01% felt contrived, like the writers suddenly remembered they were supposed to be different people. Even the catharsis of their eventual confrontation is immediately sidelined because of the events of the story, and if anything they seem to reconcile when to be perfectly honest Mila does not deserve redemption in the slightest. This "mystery" barely even got started before it was over, and nothing really came of it.

• - Nothing matters. While it's hardly unique to this story, the solution to the events of the story is to essentially negate everything that happened. Every major change, every death, every noble sacrifice or horrible consequence is wiped out by the Doctor's solution. The sop for this is supposed to be in the deeper personal loss the Doctor, Charley and Mila suffer but it can't help but come across as a case of,"Nothing you just heard ultimately meant anything."

• + Charley knows the 8th Doctor :laugh: - With the story over, the issue remains that it was time for India Fisher to part ways from this particular range of Big Finish audios, though they leave things open for a spin-off audio series. In what feels almost like a little meta-joke, Charley's solution for how to preserve the web of time AND keep the 6th Doctor safe from the Viyrans is to give him amnesia, perhaps so he'll be used to the notion when he becomes the 8th Doctor. It's also a sweet (if undeserved) end for Mila, who fills in the spaces in the Doctor's memory where Charley used to be.

Final Thoughts:

Blue Forgotten Planet is a good story with neat concepts and the best use so far of the usually underwhelming Viyrans. But as a resolution to the ill-handled two Charley's storyarc it doesn't offer much other than a sweet coda and a somewhat unsatisfying,"None of this actually happened now" resolution to the threat of the main plot. Colin Baker is as good as ever and I'll miss India Fisher and her wonderful voice, but their unexpected pairing never really quite worked or had the chemistry she had with Paul McGann. It does mark the end of an era however, and I'm keen to see where they go next with Baker's Doctor... though wherever it is and whoever it is with, I imagine Colin Baker will be worth the price of admission as always.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

This - which is hopefully going to be either fantastically great, or fantastically awful based soley on the title:

I hope, anyway :v:

It's good. Title's not literal though.

I think Louise Jameson's character is meant to be based on Lynda Bellingham's performance in Trial of a Timelord.

I miss Lynda Bellinghamd. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In a way, I think it's for the best the Eighth Doctor is primarily audio, since that lets them get away with more stuff that would be difficult on a show budget

Still, needs more wobbly TARDIS consoles, occasionally bumping into the camera, and corpsing something fierce whenever Eight goes ham on some poor fool

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vinylshadow posted:

In a way, I think it's for the best the Eighth Doctor is primarily audio, since that lets them get away with more stuff that would be difficult on a show budget

Still, needs more wobbly TARDIS consoles, occasionally bumping into the camera, and corpsing something fierce whenever Eight goes ham on some poor fool

Hey now, I was listening to Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf and Toby Hadoke says that apparently only happened twice!

Where'd that brainbug come from? There were some bad effects (The Myrka comes to mind), Scripts (Twin Dilemma) and acting, especially towards the end of the classic series, but where does the idea the whole edifice was shoddy come from?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the 80s the budgets were notoriously cut, and it was a common joke even at the time that the whole thing was cheap (I remember a lot of,"Oh no, a man with a paper bag on his head!" monster jokes whenever Doctor Who came up in other media) which I guess built to a point that "cheap and wobbly" became accepted as what Doctor Who was now and had ALWAYS been.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just caught up.

I wasn't a huge fan of Capaldi's 12 for a long time. I lost interest in the series. I think a large part of that is that I just kind of struggle when they changed doctors/companions but keep the old one. Like, I didn't like Clare when she was with 11 and I think part of that was me comparing her to the Ponds, but I started to take to her more when 12 showed up because it felt like a new start. And I liked 12 more with Bill and Nardle because there just felt like less baggage and stuff that wasn't his. But I enjoyed the last season and I'm debating giving the whole 12 run another chance removed from any expectations or feelings about 11.

And it all in all makes me interested to go into 13 with what looks like a clean slate and a fresh start like 11 (mostly) had.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clara really did suffer from jumping in halfway through Matt Smith's last season (I can't remember, did they know it was his last season at the time?) and I agree that she really didn't come into her own until she was with Capaldi. Which makes it ironic that a large part of that first season was Clara struggling to accept the loss of 11.

I'm excited for the entirely fresh start but I am sad that Bill Potts only got one season. On the other hand, like Donna she never got a chance to outlive her welcome so she'll probably always be fondly remembered. As much as I loved Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill they were hurt by sticking around half a season longer than they needed to.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. The half season with Amy and Rory felt like the plot was just spinning in a circle until they left. If they were gone from the start then they could got Clara act moving a bit faster and had more room for the Great Intelligence.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: wrong thread

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rirse posted:

Yeah. The half season with Amy and Rory felt like the plot was just spinning in a circle until they left. If they were gone from the start then they could got Clara act moving a bit faster and had more room for the Great Intelligence.

Huh, I'd have said the opposite. The first half with Amy and Rory is a half decent character drama (which ends on an uncomfortable and doubtless unintended note, but what can you do?). The second half is a lot of smoke and mirrors redundancy where we're invited to speculate about something happening when, in fact, nothing is.

Also the second half has Journey To The Centre of The TARDIS and Cold War. Point 7A.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Amy and Rory had a great send-off at the end of season 6, and even a really lovely cameo in the otherwise dreadful Christmas Special for that year. Bringing them back for more felt like a mistake, even if the chemistry was intact and it was neat seeing more of them.

It'll always be a case of "What if..?" but I can't help but think that given a full season to work on it, they could have made the 11/Clara relationship work better than it did in the barely half a season they had to bring her in and resolve the "mystery".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

That sounds way better to me, to be honest. Though it wouldn't solve the problem of RealClara only having 7 episodes, but then again, I don't think the problem there was the amount of episodes, but just that Moffat didn't *really* figure out how to write the character until Capaldi arrived.

• Locked thread