Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Gonna be honest, a plot device being a regenerating pizza is something I would be on board with.

"That's funny, I thought I couldn't have a pizza cut into more than 13 slices?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, I can really tell that the Time War audio stories are repurposed War Doctor stories; poor 8 is getting put through the moral wringer

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't think that trailer was any good.

Comparing it too similar moody teasers it's probably the weakest one they have done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get the food thing. She steals a guy's sausage, replaces a woman's pizza and swaps another dude's reading material when he's distracted by canteen food.

Is this some sort of play on RTD's chip's thing, or was someone just hungry?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
THE UNIVERSE IS CALLING

And it wants you to have enough food.

The anti-Infinity War.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't get the food thing. She steals a guy's sausage, replaces a woman's pizza and swaps another dude's reading material when he's distracted by canteen food.

Is this some sort of play on RTD's chip's thing, or was someone just hungry?

I don’t think any of it means anything beyond “here’s some time weirdness, THE DOCTOR is coming”.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The anti-Infinity War.

Thanos snaps his fingers - 1, 3, 4, 7, War, 9, 11, 13 all disappear...

...drat it, don't make me write a fanfic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

If they take 10, can we get 7 or War back?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

If they take 10, can we get 7 or War back?

DON'T MAKE ME WRITE!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think that trailer was any good.

Comparing it too similar moody teasers it's probably the weakest one they have done.

Pretty much this. All we really got was a look at the companions. The food theme was also confusing.

Unless they literally wanted us to have a taste before they unveil anything at Comic Con? :shrug:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I would assume it's just time shenanigans by the doctor. the end.
But maybe it's a hint to a new gimmick the doctor has, instead of psychic paper or sonic screwdrivers?

jivjov posted:

"It's regeneration, not regenderation" -ostensibly an adult fan of Doctor Who

I'm sure it looked awesome in impact font on a low resolution meme on their facebook page.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Regardless of its relation to what will happen in the show it is a bizarre and dumb thing to show in a promo because I don't think Mystery Pizza is gonna get people hype

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I dunno, it's cute and playful. A little bit Matt Smithy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CobiWann posted:

Wouldn't removing One make the rest disappear by default?

Even though time travel works oddly in Doctor Who, to the point you can get a visit from your future self even if you're in the process of dying, therefore preventing it

Sooo...

What happens if Doctors One though Thirteen all converge at one point, each with their own fully-equipped Infinity Gauntlet?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chibnall is for the most part a terrible writer and three companions sounds iffy. I am beset by doubts.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Android Blues posted:

Chibnall is for the most part a terrible writer and three companions sounds iffy. I am beset by doubts.

All three of them turn out to be the Master. Make it happen Chibnall.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw the trailer by accident and it was halfway through before I realised what it was

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Daily Mail (grain of salt, and all that. You know the procedure by now) are saying that The Macra Terror and The Wheel in Space are next in line for the animation treatment.

Which is silly, because there's no such thing as Macra

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Android Blues posted:

Jodie looks the part and has an absolutely winning smile. Beyond that, I'm not very hyped for Beano Regenerating Pizza Beans Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Daily Mail (grain of salt, and all that. You know the procedure by now) are saying that The Macra Terror and The Wheel in Space are next in line for the animation treatment.

Which is silly, because there's no such thing as Macra

This is cool. I guess the BBC are going to focus on animating serials with monsters, as opposed to historicals.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
*The Doctor does time pranks showing off how mischievous she is*

goons: why does she have food regeneration powers now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lessail posted:

I assumed it was some kind of "time is unravelling, oh god, wait the Doctor's here, she'll fix it!" thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Its just "Ood on the loo" again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The teaser isn't quite clear on if the Doctor is causing the odd time effects, or if she's there because they're happening. I'm just curious if this is actually part of the initial story or just a set of visual gags specifically for teasers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If I could travel in time, I would totally replace someone's reading material with a Nintendo Power when they weren't looking, and refill people's pizza boxes with delicious pizza, as a prank.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I took at more as weird time stuff happening and these people are noticing, which is how they end up entangled with the Doctor who is presumably investigating the weird time stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Imagine if you could pinpoint an exact moment when your friend found that they were out of cookies or whiskey, and note the few seconds they were looking somewhere else, and later, travel back in time and materialize behind them with replacement cookies or whiskey, except a better brand.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Imagine if you could pinpoint an exact moment when your friend found that they were out of cookies or whiskey, and note the few seconds they were looking somewhere else, and later, travel back in time and materialize behind them with replacement cookies or whiskey, except a better brand.

Let's be honest, that's what time travel would mainly be used for, and not something like witnessing historical events

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Or just swap out all of their newspapers with Beano.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Who even reads newspapers?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well you're going back in time so of course you're going to be going back to when people did read newspapers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Let's be honest, that's what time travel would mainly be used for, and not something like witnessing historical events

Some guy: Who wants to go and see what Pompei looked like? Huh? Who's with me?
*crickets*
Me: Who wants to teleport into Paul's pantry every single day during a moment he isn't looking and refill his bag of potato chips so that he goes to his deathbed thinking that he had a magic, never-ending snack?
*everyone hoots and hollers, piling into the time machine*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lessail posted:

This, seriously.

It's just a fun little 'look at the doctor helpfully interacting with her companions' lives in a way that both demonstrates her interest in the everyday and also her magic time abilities, in the pleasing juxtaposition of domesticity and whimsical sci fi woo that has characterised Doctor Who since 2005'.

It's not meant to be taken literally. Any more than Eleven and Amy falling into a DMT tunnel while lying on the grass was, all those years ago

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 16, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I'm sure it was just mainly visual hoo-hah designed to remind the audience what the show is about (and reassure people who were afraid the show might possibly not be 100% revolving around events on Earth/the UK/London).

It's just that at this point, there isn't a person on the planet who doesn't know that the premise of the show is time travel-related shenanigans. So it was a little pointless in that regard.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I wonder if there's maybe something that recently changed with Doctor Who that might bring in a new and different audience

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lessail posted:

I wonder if there's maybe something that recently changed with Doctor Who that might bring in a new and different audience

Who the gently caress hasn’t heard of Doctor Who in England?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lessail posted:

Yeah but I don't see how that silent trailer did ANYTHING to show off the Doctor finally having a different accent

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

Who the gently caress hasn’t heard of Doctor Who in England?

People who died before 1966

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah but I don't see how that silent trailer did ANYTHING to show off the Doctor finally having a different accent

Now that you mention it, I think that’s the problem I have with the teaser. I’m pretty sure 9-12 all said “My name is the Doctor” or something similar in theirs. 13 just smiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

It's not meant to be taken literally. Any more than Eleven and Amy falling into a DMT tunnel while lying on the grass was, all those years ago

That was completely canon, fight me.

• Locked thread