Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«65 »
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Brush your teeth.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's what I'm hoping for, too. Let's have more of the Second Doctor's school of thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

Matt Smith took so much of his portrayal from Troughton.

(This is a good thing, I hasten to add)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's what I'm hoping for, too. Let's have more of the Second Doctor's school of thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

Goddamn, Troughton just ruled so loving much.

"They sleep in my mind..." is such a great line.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely like all the various portrayals of the Doctor (whether they were in stories I actually liked is a different kettle of fish), but I'd have to say the Second and Fourth Doctors are tied for my "favorite Doctor" spot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You don't know how lucky you are you're snakes.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really sad that we're missing so many of Troughton's serials. I could have watched seven seasons of him, Jaime and Zoe. I love Tom's run, but I think he kind of wears out his co-stars, whereas the chemistry between Two, Jaime and Zoe could have gone on forever.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm really sad that we're missing so many of Troughton's serials. I could have watched seven seasons of him, Jaime and Zoe. I love Tom's run, but I think he kind of wears out his co-stars, whereas the chemistry between Two, Jaime and Zoe could have gone on forever.

I'd agree with this; Tom Baker's Doctor was just an absolute force of nature as a personality, so whenever he was on screen he inevitably drew all the attention to himself. Whereas Troughton's Doctor was much more understated by comparison and had less of an issue sharing the limelight with other characters, so even the secondary figures in a story could get some good screen time in with him, and his companions (especially Jamie) could shine right alongside him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tom Baker's companions stood out just fine until his last season where he started picking up the people who were gonna travel with 5. If 2's Jamie plus Victoria/Zoe crew weren't around I would say 4 easily had the best companions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I just caught Michael Jayston on an episode of Foyle’s War, and I recognised his voice before I saw him on screen. They definitely need to get him as an imperial admiral or something for Star Wars before he stops working. He’d have made a great Krennic from Rogue One.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at Jul 22, 2018 around 14:02

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

I just caught Michael Jayston on an episode of Foyle’s War, and I recognised his voice before I saw him on screen. They definitely need to get him as an imperial admiral or something for Star Wars before he stops working. He’d have made a great Krennic from Rogue One.

I was watching the BBC Docudrama "Egypt" on Netflix, and recognized Julian Wadham and Clive Merrison by their voices.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd agree with this; Tom Baker's Doctor was just an absolute force of nature as a personality, so whenever he was on screen he inevitably drew all the attention to himself. Whereas Troughton's Doctor was much more understated by comparison and had less of an issue sharing the limelight with other characters, so even the secondary figures in a story could get some good screen time in with him, and his companions (especially Jamie) could shine right alongside him.

After Sladen left, Baker wanted to go without a companion, and was slightly miffed when they said no. He carried The Deadly Assassin by himself, so maybe it would have worked.

Of course, he later suggested a morbidly obese woman as a companion, so his suggestions ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He also wanted a badger, or a talking cabbage as a companion

Love this artwork:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/statu...076925987598336

Davros1 fucked around with this message at Jul 22, 2018 around 17:24

«65 »