Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It does seem like a poor investment of your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s what I figured. IDW’s artists range from serviceable to outright awful. That’s why I stopped bothering with their Trek stuff.

That aspect has really improved since Titan took over publishing the comics, much more consistent from both an art and storytelling point of view.

I just remember waiting years for someone to publish a proper standalone Doctor Who comic, then when IDW finally produced theirs it started with that miniseries written by Gary Russell that was just one of the worst possible ways to launch a new series - a horrible combination of endless fanservice and lovely writing, which is basically Russell's career all over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last IDW series wasn't terrible. The Forgotten. Fun concept and Frobisher showed up!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rhyno posted:

The last IDW series wasn't terrible. The Forgotten. Fun concept and Frobisher showed up!

You're probably talking about The Prisoners of Time, The Forgotten is an earlier multi-Doctor story (and Frobisher-less as I recall, and definitely terrible).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also, seeing the types of people who attend doctor who fan conventions, I now have little-to-no interest in attending a doctor who fan convention.

[That "look in the mirror" post from way back, except with the phrase "fan convention" stuck in there in the appropriate places]

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Look I know I'm a huge loving nerdo, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that I do like to take care of my general appearance, have been exercising regularly, and try to wear clothes that compliment my body type. I also perform good hygiene.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm just kidding, Toxx. I can't even go to the novel-writing convention I used to go to anymore, because the number of pompous-voiced people who'd take up the literary agents' time during panels by asking extremely specific, long-winded questions about their obviously autobiographical first draft that they were pitching made me embarrassed to be alive. I can't imagine what a Doctor Who convention would be like.

I'd still go if there were one in Boston and I had the day off, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fair enough. I've seen enough obviously balding dudes in Ten cosplay to last me a lifetime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I picture a Doctor Who convention to have roughly the aroma of a Magic card release.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just listened.

WTF TOM?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Forktoss posted:

You're probably talking about The Prisoners of Time, The Forgotten is an earlier multi-Doctor story (and Frobisher-less as I recall, and definitely terrible).

The one I was thinking was collected under the name "Agent Provocateur" for some reason.

Whenever I think about how bad I am at drawing, I'll remember this art actually got published in a real Dr Who comic:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just read the comic in DWM

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm just kidding, Toxx. I can't even go to the novel-writing convention I used to go to anymore, because the number of pompous-voiced people who'd take up the literary agents' time during panels by asking extremely specific, long-winded questions about their obviously autobiographical first draft that they were pitching made me embarrassed to be alive. I can't imagine what a Doctor Who convention would be like.

I'd still go if there were one in Boston and I had the day off, though.

Counterpoint: if you go to one, you might just get choked out by your Doctor! :swoon:

(Man, I wish that wasn't blurry. :( )

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm rewatching Torchwood (don't ask). It's largely bad to middling, but holy poo poo, Out of Time is a fantastic episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Look I know I'm a huge loving nerdo, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that I do like to take care of my general appearance, have been exercising regularly, and try to wear clothes that compliment my body type. I also perform good hygiene.

The local Comic Con I go to is pretty bad on that front, but Star Wars Celebration was surprisingly... human? I only noticed one dude all weekend who absolutely reeked and that was in an overnight panel line.

He also fell asleep spilling out of his lawn chair and snored so loud security had to wake him up.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm rewatching Torchwood (don't ask). It's largely bad to middling, but holy poo poo, Out of Time is a fantastic episode.

I’m partial to Countrycide myself.

Probably because of Jack coming in with a ruddy great tractor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GenCon is the smelliest con I have ever attended. I get flashbacks to the smells every time the con rolls around.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

GenCon is the smelliest con I have ever attended. I get flashbacks to the smells every time the con rolls around.

I only been there once when I volunteered to work one of the comic shops that was there. Wasn't a bad job and I got paid for doing nothing. Think the only thing I really remember from it was the really cute Terra from FFVI cosplayer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

There's a hotel in Madison, Wisconsin, that hosts a an art and anime con every spring. When I worked there, the director of rooms told me she had to put a line item in her budget every year just for that specific event because they have to rent like every ozone machine, rug doctor and air purifier they can find in the county just to get the smell out. And that's attendance at a 373-room hotel; I don't want to imagine what a huge 50,000-person event like GenCon would be like.

Although the BronyCon people in Baltimore ... you could smell that poo poo a mile away. I was also told by the people at Visit Baltimore that they were practically dancing in their office when the Otakon people told them they were ending their contract and moving to DC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

There’s only one dedicated games store near me where I can buy X-Wing stuff and god help you if you ever go in on a Magic night. You can literally smell the players before you even enter.

I imagine GenCon is that x100.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

There's a hotel in Madison, Wisconsin, that hosts a an art and anime con every spring. When I worked there, the director of rooms told me she had to put a line item in her budget every year just for that specific event because they have to rent like every ozone machine, rug doctor and air purifier they can find in the county just to get the smell out. And that's attendance at a 373-room hotel; I don't want to imagine what a huge 50,000-person event like GenCon would be like.

Although the BronyCon people in Baltimore ... you could smell that poo poo a mile away. I was also told by the people at Visit Baltimore that they were practically dancing in their office when the Otakon people told them they were ending their contract and moving to DC.

Ha! I have a friend in hospitality and he says delousing the rooms is such an undertaking they have to bring in temps.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, I ran out of episodes of Doctor Who to watch from the revival after starting it shortly after watching Twice Upon a Time and ending with the same episode tonight. Still want to try to watch some classic Doctor Who, I might wait a while before I do that. In the meantime, time to play the waiting game for the new season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rirse posted:

Dang, I ran out of episodes of Doctor Who to watch from the revival after starting it shortly after watching Twice Upon a Time and ending with the same episode tonight. Still want to try to watch some classic Doctor Who, I might wait a while before I do that. In the meantime, time to play the waiting game for the new season.

I keep reminding myself I once only got to see one "episode" across a 15 year period, but it's still rough having to wait for more.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rirse posted:

Time for Big Finish!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Timby posted:

I heard something similar about Otakon, although it was more about the property damage. It let my con get an excellent contact at one of the Baltimore hotels. (You should come, a lot of the people are functional adults and the gamers are quarantined.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rirse posted:

Watch the classic episodes OP, they are very cool and good. My recommended way to get into classic Who is just to watch every Jon Pertwee episode.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I wouldn't recommend watching every Pertwee story, but his first one (Spearhead from Space) is a great place to start. His whole first season is pretty good as whole, although I'm not as fond of Ambassadors of Death as some are.

Personally, I'd probably recommend watching one of the best stories for each Doctor, and then seeing where to go from there. I'm fond of City of Death (Tom Baker) and Remembrance of the Daleks (Sylvester McCoy), which are both pretty accessible starting points.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

cargohills posted:

I wouldn't recommend watching every Pertwee story, but his first one (Spearhead from Space) is a great place to start. His whole first season is pretty good as whole, although I'm not as fond of The Ambassadors

of Death! (TWAAAANG)
as some are.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to visit the library today and look for the classic Doctor Who dvds they have there. Last time I visited they had ones from every doctor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cargohills posted:

I wouldn't recommend watching every Pertwee story, but his first one (Spearhead from Space) is a great place to start. His whole first season is pretty good as whole, although I'm not as fond of Ambassadors of Death as some are.

Personally, I'd probably recommend watching one of the best stories for each Doctor, and then seeing where to go from there. I'm fond of City of Death (Tom Baker) and Remembrance of the Daleks (Sylvester McCoy), which are both pretty accessible starting points.

Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend Face of Evil, Pyramids of Mars, and Deadly Assassin as good starting points for the 4th Doctor. Honestly, though, it's pretty much all good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend Face of Evil, Pyramids of Mars, and Deadly Assassin as good starting points for the 4th Doctor. Honestly, though, it's pretty much all good.

Correct, all Fourth Doctor stories are excellent.

ALL OF THEM

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rirse posted:

I'm going to visit the library today and look for the classic Doctor Who dvds they have there. Last time I visited they had ones from every doctor.

Take a picture of the shelves so we can argue about what you should watch!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

ALL OF THEM

Lord Rhyno? Lord RHYYYYYNOOOOOO! 'Tis I, the Nimon DVD!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s only one dedicated games store near me where I can buy X-Wing stuff and god help you if you ever go in on a Magic night. You can literally smell the players before you even enter.

I imagine GenCon is that x100.

I’ve only really done board games and mini stuff there, and the room that they hold those in is so massive that it seemed impossible to stink up. Never had problems there. The dealer hall is kind of a nightmare of people packed aisles, but I walk so quickly through that stuff that I haven’t had issues there either. You want to get in a tiny hotel room with a bunch of RPGers, that’s your problem, I guess.

In Doctor Who talk, uh... I’m annoyed that I’d have to sign up for something called Britbox to watch old Tom Baker poo poo on Amazon. I did rewatch The Eleventh Hour recently on Prime and really enjoyed it. Too bad Moffat’s run went to poo poo for me after that between his annoying Nice Guy self-insert with Rory and then interminable big plotlines and all those scenes of the Doctor making epic proclamations to his enemies. I prefer the low key bumbling “madman with a box” Doctor in one-and-dones instead of epic Space Jesus all the time. I’m hoping Whittaker gets to be a little more human scale with Moffat gone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
See, I don’t know if Remembrance is a good jumping on point, seeing how much it depends on continuity. It’s literally a 25th anniversary story (far more than Silver Nemesis was). I’d suggest maybe Curse of Fenric?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All that talk about Who Comics had me looking up the Lost Dimensions Multi-Doctor cross-over comic event and so far it's been pretty entertaining even if the art is hit and miss at brief moments.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here you go.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

ALL OF THEM

Underworld is absolute shite

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rirse posted:

Here you go.

Of the titles I can see, The Time Meddler and Spearhead from Space are both great picks. Inferno, too, if you don't mind seven episodes (which you won't because they're all good).

EDIT: I also really like Paradise Towers but it's maybe more of an acquired taste

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Inferno is a bad story

...for your first Pertwee coz it’s all about evil versions of our beloved UNIT gang. Fantastic story though with a contender for best ever cliffhanger.

• Locked thread