Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Good luck Chokes, I hope you win! :)

Narrator (played by Tom Baker): He didn't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chokes McGee posted:

Narrator (played by Tom Baker): He didn't win.

Tom (In breathless delight): Oh but what if he had!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Finally got to use a Waterstone's gift card (received as part of an honorium for giving a talk on Nero) and snagged a couple of the new Target books. I coulda bought them online, but as I said way above in this thread, I used to buy them from a little bookshop in the town where I grew up, 30+ years ago. It's still loads of fun to get them in person and try to decide which one you want (or how many you can get with a £20 giftcard...)

Nothing like taking Eurostar to Paris whilst reading City of Death :france: (and then having 'Running through Paris' stuck in your head the rest of the day :argh:)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ms Boods posted:

Nothing like taking Eurostar to Paris whilst reading City of Death :france: (and then having 'Running through Paris' stuck in your head the rest of the day :argh:)

Went to Paris in 2016 with m’other half, had that in my head all weekend. Can confirm it’s a thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm voting for Brian Blessed:

https://twitter.com/davidclewis/status/997830804175761409

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Went to Paris in 2016 with m’other half

the human one? :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The episode of Blackadder they dared not air!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Brian Blessed was one of the actors asked to play the Second Doctor, but turned them down because of schedule conflicts.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Brian Blessed was one of the actors asked to play the Second Doctor, but turned them down because of schedule conflicts.

And we always thought 12 was the one who would do a foul mouthed rant!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Blessed: I'm terribly sorry, but I'm penciled in that day to barrage through a set bellowing at the top of my lungs while the cameraman and boom operator desperately try to keep up

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure when Blessed developed that acting style. I really haven't seen him in anything earlier than Flash Gordon but I assume it must have been before that.

He's probably the best-remembered part of the least-remembered part of Blackadder and it's all because of SHOUTING.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

This happened, in an alternate universe where Patrick Troughton, from Robin Hood and The Omen, played King Yrcarnos of the Krontep. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peter Cushing was another actor invited to play the Second Doctor and regretted turning it down, so there's probably another alternate timeline in which there were two Dalek-themed movies in which "Dr Who" is played by Patrick Troughton. So was Valentine Dyall, so there must be a third alternate timeline in which Patrick Troughton played the Black Guardian.

Michael Hordern was also offered the role but said no because he didn't want to commit to a long-term series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we switch to the universe where Troughton played Tarkin in Star Wars?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Can we switch to the universe where Troughton played Tarkin in Star Wars?

“You may fire when ready.”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I watched The Omen the other day and Troughton is just SO good in it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's probably the best-remembered part of the least-remembered part of Blackadder and it's all because of SHOUTING.

paging colin baker to the thread

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Finish have been going since 1999 and not ONCE have we gotten Baker vs Blessed. Shameful

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Big Finish have been going since 1999 and not ONCE have we gotten Baker vs Blessed. Shameful

Even modern recording equipment can only handle so much volume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if Brian Blessed had played the Fourth Doctor and faced off against Graham Crowden in "The Horns of Nimon".

"MY DREEEEEAAMS on con-QUEST!"
"YOUR DREAMS OF CONQUEST?!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Apparently he's not interested. His daughter Rosalind has done a few though. But if you do want a fun Blessed audio, check out The Scarifyers: The Curse of the Black Comet from Bafflegab

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-curse-of-the-black-comet-722

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi yes hello

Just popping in to remind everyone the doctor is female now and will running around doing doctor things in a handful of months

Thanks, as you were

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi yes hello

Just popping in to remind everyone the doctor is female now and will running around doing doctor things in a handful of months

Thanks, as you were

But I want it now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

But I want it now

This comes up every time we have a hiatus, but we really should have figured out time travel by now PURELY for the benefit of being able to see new (or old, lost) episodes of Who. I don't see any other practical or desirous uses of the technology.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've noticed that 13 has earrings. Since the Doctor has never had earrings before (ok, maybe 8 did at some point), I'm imagining the TARDIS making a side trip to Claire's Accessories. "Look, I want these things, but I've no idea how they attach! Help!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I've noticed that 13 has earrings. Since the Doctor has never had earrings before (ok, maybe 8 did at some point), I'm imagining the TARDIS making a side trip to Claire's Accessories. "Look, I want these things, but I've no idea how they attach! Help!"

"I have to do what to my ears?!"

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor messed around with earrings during his academy days
He seems the type to think punching holes in his ears and threading metal through them would be a lot of fun
He then shows up to class drenched in blood and can't hear anything

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I fully expect the 3rd Doctor wore earrings at some point :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I fully expect the 3rd Doctor wore earrings at some point :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrCThomson/status/998284857485811713

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Apparently he's not interested. His daughter Rosalind has done a few though.

He's done a Warhammer audio so you never know..

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/11/warhammer-fest-live-blog-2gw-homepage-post-1/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blessed needs to be Rassilon at some point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Do Big Finish still do the Warhammer audios, you know, the ones they weren't allowed to sell on their website or even talk about?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Do Big Finish still do the Warhammer audios, you know, the ones they weren't allowed to sell on their website or even talk about?

It seems that while BF produce them, they're only sold through Black Library.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GW really is the dumbest company.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Davros1 posted:

GW really is the dumbest company.

They've been getting less dumb over the last couple of years after they flushed their entire management, but bad habits die hard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/999319842032365569

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Why don’t they just stick it all up on iplayer? :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fascinating seeing the Host and the Weeping Angels sharing the same space in the Titan comics
They brought back "The image of an Angel becomes an Angel" gimmick as well

Funny seeing the Doctor getting involved in a protest though (With a "Not in my name" sign, even)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That should be fun, but going to avoid the pre-stream stuff like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Why don’t they just stick it all up on iplayer? :(

Rupert Murdoch.

It's all up there for employees though. Everything is practically.

• Locked thread