Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Minuet in Hell is awful but it's harmless and almost endearing in how unbelievably stupid and poo poo it is and how nobody at any point in the writing, production and editing stages stopped and went,"What the gently caress are we doing?"

Creed of the Kromon is some writer's fetish-spank material, and Nekromanteia is just nasty and cruel and lovely and everything that Doctor Who shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and add The Silurian Candidate to that list as well.

Ill conceived, stupid and a bit racist. High points include an "Australian" Trump, and the Doctor crying over a dead dinosaur while a man bleeds out right next to him.

Not a big fan of that recent Time War box set that attempted to make us feel bad for a guy who used time travel to manipulate himself into a relationship with a woman.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

docbeard posted:

Fear Her is perfectly okay if you ignore the Olympics nonsense.

Uhhh okay First Rule and all. But really? The awful growling little girl? The terrible plot resolution? (I’m pretty loving sure the road gets a gently caress of a lot more heat from the sun than a car driving over it for a third of a second - but hey it is England I guess)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Uhhh okay First Rule and all. But really? The awful growling little girl? The terrible plot resolution? (I’m pretty loving sure the road gets a gently caress of a lot more heat from the sun than a car driving over it for a third of a second - but hey it is England I guess)

Bear in mind that I would not consider "perfectly okay" to be high praise. It's not making any lists of either my favorites or my least favorites.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

docbeard posted:

Bear in mind that I would not consider "perfectly okay" to be high praise. It's not making any lists of either my favorites or my least favorites.

I'm making a list and you're on it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love Voyage of the Damned, fight me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

TL posted:

It's stupid and I love it too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TL posted:

We're about to throw hands.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Like so much of the Davies era, it's really just a lot of silly fun.

I adore it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Since no one's mentioned it yet, "Boy That Time Forgot" is like a bingo card for lovely audios. It's boring, skeevy, and fucks with a major plot point of the series for a cheap shock hook.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

After The War posted:

Since no one's mentioned it yet, "Boy That Time Forgot" is like a bingo card for lovely audios. It's boring, skeevy, and fucks with a major plot point of the series for a cheap shock hook.

I dunno, I thought it was funny.

(It's deeply meanspirited, but I think it was also trying to say things about aging and arrested development.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TL posted:

It felt and still feels sort of humdrum but the idea that everyone except the Queen and Bernard Cribbins abandon London every Christmas because they've become accustomed to bad stuff happening is still funny to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DrNutt posted:

Heh heh, there eh, can't be anything in old Who worse than Aliens of London, right? Right!?

There's plenty, such as The Deadly Assassin.

AoL/WW3 has a massive amount of great stuff that is almost overwhelmed by the horror of Boak's directing and focus.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've started watching Jonathan Creek this week, as the pilot started I thought "hang on, that voice, is it..." and then sure enough, there's Colin Baker prepping himself to be a murder victim! And then Maureen O'brien pops up in the second episode as a supporting character who I didn't actually recognise beyond "she's sort of familiar" until the credits rolled and then it was like "of course, Vicki!" Apparently Geoffrey Beevers was in that one too but I don't actually know what he looks like away from the charred up Master husk so :shrug:

Hopefully for the sake of the family members I'm watching with there won't be too much more of that for me to be vocal about. Though I've seen from Wikipedia that Lucy Bleedin' Miller is coming up later on in the show at least

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Box of Bunnies posted:

I've started watching Jonathan Creek this week, as the pilot started I thought "hang on, that voice, is it..." and then sure enough, there's Colin Baker prepping himself to be a murder victim! And then Maureen O'brien pops up in the second episode as a supporting character who I didn't actually recognise beyond "she's sort of familiar" until the credits rolled and then it was like "of course, Vicki!" Apparently Geoffrey Beevers was in that one too but I don't actually know what he looks like away from the charred up Master husk so :shrug:

Hopefully for the sake of the family members I'm watching with there won't be too much more of that for me to be vocal about. Though I've seen from Wikipedia that Lucy Bleedin' Miller is coming up later on in the show at least

Jonathan Creek came along in the Wilderness Years, and had a very Doctor Who-lite feeling to the whole thing. It lead to many calls for Alan Davis as the next Doctor.

Plus yeah, there's a whole bunch of alums in it. Both Davison and McGann pop up at some point soon too.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 16, 2018

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but there is a bunch of Big Finish Doctor Who/Torchwood audios in the next Humble Bundle

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You can tell he's having flashbacks looking at that hair :allears:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Maybe this is more going against bitter 80's Doctor Who fandom than the general consensus of the thread, but I adore The Underwater Menace and I'll hold it up as a bizarre example of Gonzo Troughton until the end of time. It's just so goddamned weird that I can't help but adore it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Jonathan Creek came along in the Wilderness Years, and had a very Doctor Who-lite feeling to the whole thing.

Produced by Verity Lambert, no less.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MrL_JaKiri posted:

AoL/WW3 has a massive amount of great stuff that is almost overwhelmed by the horror of Boak's directing and focus.

See I know we must have wildly different taste because I found nothing redeeming about it. In fact those episodes are what killed my interest in watching any more Doctor Who for at least ten years. Glad I finally picked it back up but yeesh.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TL posted:

It was enjoyable, with Max being a fun villain for the episode. Do like how his big plan in the episode to crash the ship into the Earth was suppose to cause a extinction event, but in the later Donna episode it only destroys London.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"And I should know..."
"...because my name is Max! *ting!*"
"It really does that?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It occurs to me I've never watched any Jonathan Creek.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My assumption that I would listen to a lot more Big Finish while I was up all night with a new baby has so far, six days in, turned out to be extremely not true, because I have always used the brief moments in between feedings to sleep instead, but maybe things will change when I take some proper paternity leave in September. Part of is that I'm worried I won't hear the baby monitor with headphones on and that I'll keep my wife awake if I listen to to people screaming at alien horrors on any kind of speaker. It may take some tweaking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

K-Mart Davros is definitely the best part of Voyage of the Damned, which I otherwise really dislike.

Underwater Menace I also really enjoy, though maybe that is mostly because after finally getting to see a proper reconstruction instead of the old one which just repeated those shots of the people swimming as often as possible v:shobon:v

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FreezingInferno posted:

Maybe this is more going against bitter 80's Doctor Who fandom than the general consensus of the thread, but I adore The Underwater Menace and I'll hold it up as a bizarre example of Gonzo Troughton until the end of time. It's just so goddamned weird that I can't help but adore it.

So what would you say, in the world, could stop your adoration of it?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Eh, I liked Deadly Assassin. You gotta give the writers credit, they wrote about virtual reality way back before more people had even heard of the concept.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gynovore posted:

Eh, I liked Deadly Assassin. You gotta give the writers credit, they wrote about virtual reality way back before more people had even heard of the concept.

Most of us do, it's just kind of MrL_JaKiri's thing. And that's fine, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

I wonder if the BBC ever pondered legal action against the Wachowskis.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

FreezingInferno posted:

The Underwater Menace is fantastic and probably my favourite Who story of all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if the BBC ever pondered legal action against the Wachowskis.

They didn't want that crazy lady who sued them to decide she'd invented the concept of Doctor Who as well.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Zaroff posted:

The Underwater Menace is fantastic and probably my favourite Who story of all

This is the greatest username/avatar/quote combination that could have possibly arisen from this post.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Deadly Assassin is good. But I agree with the general point that there are several classic serials worse than Aliens of London/WW3, because AOL/WW3 is good.

Like Twin Dilemma or anything involving the Rani are far worse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Underworld" is probably worse than even my least favourite Davies or Moffat era stories. Definitely ranks near the bottom of the all-time list. Not very interesting, not very memorable - that season of the show wasn't very good outside "City of Death".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Underworld" is probably worse than even my least favourite Davies or Moffat era stories. Definitely ranks near the bottom of the all-time list. Not very interesting, not very memorable - that season of the show wasn't very good outside "City of Death".

Don't dare blaspheme the Nimon!

(Also, "Underworld" is in an entirely different season from "City of Death." The presence of Leela is a giveaway. Technically, I should have said not to blaspheme the Rutan, probably followed by "Praise the Company.")

Narsham fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 17, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DrNutt posted:

See I know we must have wildly different taste because I found nothing redeeming about it. In fact those episodes are what killed my interest in watching any more Doctor Who for at least ten years. Glad I finally picked it back up but yeesh.

First contact being something the Doctor sits back and watches
First contact with a badly bioengineered lifeform being cover for an alien invasion
The alien invasion just being some random goons who are after a quick buck rather than being The Almighty X Race

for three off the top of my head. All are playing with the "traditional doctor who format" a lot, or at least the public perception of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narsham posted:

Don't dare blaspheme the Nimon!

MY dreeeeeeaaaams of... con-QUEST! :qq:

quote:

(Also, "Underworld" is in an entirely different season from "City of Death." The presence of Leela is a giveaway. Technically, I should have said not to blaspheme the Rutan, probably followed by "Praise the Company.")

"Underworld" is so forgettable that I even forgot who's in it and what season it's in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First contact being something the Doctor sits back and watches
First contact with a badly bioengineered lifeform being cover for an alien invasion
The alien invasion just being some random goons who are after a quick buck rather than being The Almighty X Race

for three off the top of my head. All are playing with the "traditional doctor who format" a lot, or at least the public perception of it.

It does have a lot of really great ideas, but the execution really does torpedo the whole thing into the ground. It's just hard to watch without cringing.

You're definitely right that it's the direction, because the individual performances are fine for what they are, it just feels like everyone is making a very different choice. The aliens/people in authority/Harriet Jones are all doing the sort of blown-up performance you'd expect in the Sarah Jane Adventures, while Eccleston is mostly playing things a bit more real, either as a cheerful observer or in a dreadfully serious panic. It may be because he's clashing with the Director's vision, and rightfully so, because he's the most interesting one to watch. It's not just the weird fart jokes and the bad CG, it's like all of the actors are in a completely different show and don't know how to interact with each other.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
When isn't Eccleston the most interesting one to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Aliens of London" was also significant because it's where the revival established that the companion could and would go home to visit between adventures.

• Locked thread