Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like the villains being just a bunch of assholes and that Slitheen is their name, not their species (something Moffat annoyingly forgot and kept calling them the Slitheen species). I just don't want to have to watch those episodes

E: as far as unpopular opinions, I liked the sequel episode, I forget what it's called. Oh Boom Town. People seem to think it's trying to say the Doctor is no better than a genocidal mass murderer (maybe it is since at this point in the series that's what he was) but him being morally superior to the Slitheen doesn't negate the fact that she makes some good points about him, and it's a darker insight into his character

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Zagraius is such a hot mess and it's fantastic :allears:

AND SO'S THE AUDIO LOL oh goddamn it they changed their forums name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Aliens of London" was also significant because it's where the revival established that the companion could and would go home to visit between adventures.

Established it for the revival maybe, the Third Doctor's companions had lives and dates and all sorts of stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Established it for the revival maybe, the Third Doctor's companions had lives and dates and all sorts of stuff.

But that was kind of different because they mostly never left present day Earth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

But that was kind of different because they mostly never left present day Earth.

PELADON!

TWICE EVEN!

Several 3-5 Companions had nothing to go back to so it wouldn't have made any sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

PELADON!

TWICE EVEN!

Several 3-5 Companions had nothing to go back to so it wouldn't have made any sense.

MOSTLY

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

(something Moffat annoyingly forgot and kept calling them the Slitheen species)

I don't remember if they were ever explicitly stated to be a species in the Moffat era, but I always pictured them as a very big crime family. Like when the Yakuza games mention the Dojima Clan or something; yes, calling a ship 'Slitheen' is technically simplifying it, there's non-Slitheen on there, but the Slitheen family own it and are pulling the strings.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I don't remember if they were ever explicitly stated to be a species in the Moffat era, but I always pictured them as a very big crime family. Like when the Yakuza games mention the Dojima Clan or something; yes, calling a ship 'Slitheen' is technically simplifying it, there's non-Slitheen on there, but the Slitheen family own it and are pulling the strings.

That's absolutely what they were.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Now I'm picturing a Yakuza style intro for all the Slitheens and it's retroactively making those episodes better. Thanks Doctor Who thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got the Tom Baker season one blu-ray and showed my girlfriend "The Ark in Space." Tom Baker terrified her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DrNutt posted:

Now I'm picturing a Yakuza style intro for all the Slitheens and it's retroactively making those episodes better. Thanks Doctor Who thread.

I can see the text just spilling out over the screen and having to be hyphenated :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hi thread, is it fall yet

no?

gently caress

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Got the Tom Baker season one blu-ray and showed my girlfriend "The Ark in Space." Tom Baker terrified her.

Good. She should be.

:haw:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Didn't Teegan go home for several months at one point?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would be curious seeing a Slitheen come back at some point since I imagine they would make them look pretty awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Didn't Teegan go home for several months at one point?

Yep, then bumped back into the Doctor in... Amsterdam I think and they started traveling together again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, then bumped back into the Doctor in... Amsterdam I think and they started traveling together again.

Yep, in The Arc of Infinity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then she is totally traumatized and leaves in an angry huff and it tears the Doctor apart. Tegans departure is some powerful stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Rhyno posted:

And then she is totally traumatized and leaves in an angry huff and it tears the Doctor apart. Tegans departure is some powerful stuff.

It's one of the first seeds of an element that became more prominent in the revived series, namely the idea that the companions aren't always having jolly japes and larks 100% of the time, and often suffer very real emotional distress as a result of their travels with the Doctor.

You can also look back at Victoria's departure in "Fury from the Deep", too, for another example. The Doctor and Jamie are having a wonderful time knocking around space and time, without any woes or cares...and meanwhile, Victoria is missing her father, basically just feels out of place, and eventually realizes that she's miserable and fed up with all the constant danger, and decides to stay on Earth and live a normal life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Kick Inside by Keith Topping

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I fuckin hate you.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

Pairing: Fifth Doctor/Eighth Doctor

quote:

Five and Six meet for the first time, and the obvious occurs. Five/Six slash.

For some reason it had never occurred to me until now that people might do this kind of thing. Thanks, I hate it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Box of Bunnies posted:

For some reason it had never occurred to me until now that people might do this kind of thing. Thanks, I hate it.

I'm fairly certain there is already 10/13 slash being furiously written as we speak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

9/13, have a North-off.

“Fantastic!”
“Brilliant!”
“Fantastic!”
“Brilliant!”
“Allons-yyyyyyyyyyyy!” said a quiet voice from behind the slatted closet door.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah DW slash fiction is a vile I refuse to even begin contemplating. DW is wholesome guys,, right,,, right?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The only good DW fanfictions are the Thirteen fics that take the piss out of the "ruined forever" crowd.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TinTower posted:

The only good DW fanfictions are the Thirteen fics that take the piss out of the "ruined forever" crowd.

Tell me more.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
All Doctor Who after 1980, regardless of format, is fanfiction.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Dalek Invasion of Earth owns. Also, Barbara is pretty dreamy.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

All Doctor Who after 1965, regardless of format, is fanfiction.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

All Doctor Who after 1980, regardless of format, is fanfiction.
          \

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I understand that reference.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Oh God, Barbara straight-up murders Vicki's pet and Vicki joins the TARDIS crew anyway. Holy Crap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean this is in all seriousness, it's hard to think of a better bit of writing than that section in The Mind Robber where the Doctor starts to type up their victory in the Land of Fiction before stopping as he realizes that doing so would mire them further into the realm of fiction and ultimately be their defeat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

9/13, have a North-off.

She's from the midlands

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She's from the midlands

She's from West Yorkshire. That's the North.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-legacy-of-time

Big Finish is celebrating 20 years of audios with a huge crossover next year. Everyone is here!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cruel Rose posted:

Big Finish is celebrating 20 years of audios with a huge crossover next year. Everyone is here!

quote:

Doctor Who: The Legacy of Time will be priced at £45 on CD or £40 download, rising to £60 on CD or £55 on download on its general release.

Oof.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cruel Rose posted:

I wanted to make a joke about Timelord Anthony calling everyone in for his birthday but then I saw that they're actually doing River meets Benny and was too excited to be pithy

Yeaaah, it's definitely a little on the steep side given a four hour box set is usually 20-25 bucks but given the amount of people involved I assume it must have higher production costs than usual

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Odds on Tennant/Capaldi making cameos?

• Locked thread