Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was just telling people in another forum that us Doctor Who fans can't agree on ANYTHING, and I stand by that stateme-

CommonShore posted:

Wilf is the best

nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wish the show would bring back some more companions back at some point even if just for a single story like they did with Martha and from time to time with Sarah Jane. You don't want to get too indulgent, but it's nice to occasionally see an familiar face to tie the different eras of the Doctor together.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Christmas special should have been 1 + 12 + Wilf.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

jivjov posted:

Oh I do so very hope they actually get Bernard cribbins

Starring Nick Briggs as Donna’s entire family.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nodosaur posted:

Donna's mom!!!

Donna’s mum is a horrible character. And presumably because this is set before Journey’s End, she’s going to be the unrelenting abusive parent still. God I hate her.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, Tennant + Tate + Cribbins + Donna's Mom + Judoon is enough to get me to actually buy an audio series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheezle posted:

Starring Nick Briggs as Donna’s entire family.

Nick Brigg's is probably better at being Donna's mum than the original actress was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Nick Brigg's is probably better at being Donna's mum than the original actress was.

Nah, Jacqueline King is awesome at capturing that character. Sylvia may not be the best character...but King plays her SO WELL

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

I wish the show would bring back some more companions back at some point even if just for a single story like they did with Martha and from time to time with Sarah Jane. You don't want to get too indulgent, but it's nice to occasionally see an familiar face to tie the different eras of the Doctor together.

I'm still surprised we never saw Susan again. It seemed like Capaldi's last series was building towards her appearing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<sees the TARDIS>
“Oh, Grandfather! Grandfath-oh. Who are you..? Grand... mother?”

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
This was put up on IGN earlier, but I'll save you from dealing with their site and post it here:

Jodie Whittaker, as told to Terri Schartz posted:

How Doctor Who Can Change Your Life: An Essay by Jodie Whittaker

It means everything.

Doctor Who celebrates change, it celebrates inclusivity, inclusiveness, and all versions of that. It celebrates the past, the future, humanity, and species that you can’t even get your head around even existing. And I think as an actor, as a human, I am excited by all the possibilities of what playing the Doctor opens your eyes to.

This show is for everyone. It’s an action-adventure, it’s emotional, it’s funny, it’s epic, it’s scary. It’s something that you, as a family, can sit and watch together, and it doesn’t exclude anyone -- and I think that is a pretty unique show in that sense. The Doctor I play is a hopeful Doctor that is ready to embrace every new experience with a glass full of light, and I couldn’t be more excited to play the role. We’re so lucky; we’re part of a show that’s fan-based. It’s been very well-earned by our predecessors, and the fanbase stretches all corners of the world, which I think is extraordinary, and really apparent when you go to Comic-Con, and you see how far people have traveled, and you hear everyone’s stories.

I think the fans are what make the show, but what’s exciting for us as well is to potentially make new Whovians from this series, and to see, potentially, people being at Comic-Con next year that have never been before, and go because of their love of this. [Comic-Con], it’s an extraordinary event that you can’t quite describe to people. For meeting the fans, surprising the fans, to doing the [Her] Universe surprise -- all those were wonderful, as well as obviously being on-stage with the other guys for the panel. And what an honor to see people in your costume, who’ve not even seen you play the role yet for more than twenty seconds, and they have embraced that change so wonderfully.

We met a young girl, she was 16. I won’t give any details about her, just because, obviously for her privacy. But she was not very well, and had been a real survivor of a not very nice illness. She’d come all the way from, I think, the Midwest, and had flown with her family. We were lucky enough to sit for 45 minutes with her and have a catch-up with someone who’s a huge fan of the show, but then also was just a really fascinating person to be in the company of, for me.

In a weird way, I think I got more out of it than her. I just was kind of monologuing and asking her questions. She was absolutely fascinating, and knew so much about the show, asked really fascinating questions, and was just a really inspiring young woman. And I think, it was just great to see this wonderful, 55-year history of a show is relevant to a 16-year-old girl in America, and that it touches her in a way that she’s become a true Whovian.

That’s the power of this show, and this is what we want to carry forward, and to honor everything that’s gone. But also to also take it, and to hopefully reach a new, wider audience -- if it’s possible to reach a wider audience for Doctor Who.

The Doctor regenerates. The Doctor changes. With that comes a celebration of change, but [for] some people, there’s also a fear of the change. I think what my casting does is just embrace the fact that the Doctor can and will reappear in any form, and that that is absolutely a part of the fabric of the show.

I look up to men and women all my life. Young boys have many women in their lives that they look up to as well as men. My heroes don’t all look the same, and therefore, the heroes on television shouldn’t all look the same. The show wouldn’t be the success that it is without embracing progression and change. And I think that that’s what this is fundamentally about -- why it has a fan base from all over the world, from all different cultures, and why it speaks to people from everywhere. I know from every single time there’s a new Doctor, there’s always going to be people that are maybe disappointed that their previous Doctor is not returning, but that’s why this show is so exciting, is because you can never predict what’s going to happen, so therefore it’s never boring.

I’m a new Whovian, so this season is essentially targeted at someone like me, who’s seen bits of it, but was not brought up with it. I found it incredibly engaging, and inclusive, and representative of the world I live in today, in what is happening in the world today, and using that and taking the story forward.

My main experience of the Doctor was being friends, really good friends with David Tennant. Previous to me auditioning or ever having a conversation about the job, if anyone said "Doctor Who" or the "Doctor," my brain immediately goes to David Tennant. It’s fascinating to now have my own identity with it, and [have] it not take away from anyone else’s. But it does so quickly become your own identity, and the rhythm, and everything to do with [showrunner] Chris [Chibnall]’s writing, which is energetic and hopeful and full of electricity and full of light and all the things that are just so wonderful to play, and require a hell of a lot of caffeine. So now, it’s odd, because when someone says Doctor Who or the Doctor now, I think I’d probably think of myself!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They should have had Susan or Romana show up as a man in the Christmas special. It'd be more thematic than Mark "Moffat's BFF" Gatiss getting another annoying and pointless cameo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Chibnall's said he's going back to a series of 10 stand-alone episodes for at least his first season, which news I am pleased by.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dear BBC: what the gently caress?

This is from their own news site. This is what they choose to say about someone who's worked for them.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 25, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks for the last few posts! The attached video to the IGN article is :love:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/24/doctor-whos-jodie-whittaker-what-being-the-doctor-means-to-me-ign-first?watch
cynical fake edit: thats as physically close as she's gonna get when taking fan photos.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nodosaur posted:

Dear BBC: what the gently caress?

This is from their own news site. This is what they choose to say about someone who's worked for them.

I mean, he wasn't. There were rumours he was forced out of the role

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You still don't say that about a guy who worked for you and dedicated near drat half a decade of his life to your show in a puff piece that's published on your own drat website. It's exceedingly unprofessional.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nodosaur posted:

You still don't say that about a guy who worked for you and dedicated near drat half a decade of his life to your show in a puff piece that's published on your own drat website. It's exceedingly unprofessional.

gently caress em! boycot the BBC! We don't need em...

[hand goes to earpiece.]

Uhhh moving on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's more likely that the BBC news arms is just unconnected enough from BBC Whales that nobody cared.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

WTF???

I mean, obviously, nobody can please everyone. But... jeez, that's not something you say about someone who's just out the door. He must have stolen someone's eel pie out of the BBC fridge or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodosaur posted:

This is the same outlet that fabricated a story about Eccleston and RTD agreeing far in advance that he'd only do one season when the rumors about him quitting leaked out. Eccleston was so pissed that he threatened to sue the BBC for libel.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it's also just weird because of all the great and exciting things I can and no doubt will say about Whittaker, "universally loved" uhhhh

poo poo, I think Matt Smith spent half his run with a chunk of the fanbase sputtering "well uhh he's no David Tennant"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For those who don't want to deal with with IGN 'even' after the link has been posted twice:

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1044351269886992391

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jodie Whittaker posted:

So now, it’s odd, because when someone says Doctor Who or the Doctor now, I think I’d probably think of myself!

God she's loving nailing it so far before she's even had a single episode air :allears:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Carbon dioxide posted:

For those who don't want to deal with with IGN 'even' after the link has been posted twice:

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1044351269886992391

Ahaha. That’s so sweet. :glomp: I especially love the “... what.”

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Is anyone watching the marathon on BBC America? Season 1, Episode 1 just started. Luckily no one at my work minds.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 25, 2018

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

York_M_Chan posted:

Is anyone watching the marathon on BBC America? Season 1, Episode 1 just started. Luckily no one at my work minds.

I will be when i get home. Are they jyst going straight through it all in order?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

JustinMorgan posted:

I will be when i get home. Are they jyst going straight through it all in order?

They are hopping around each for each day. Today is Season 1 episodes 1-11. Tomorrow is season 8.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This might be old news to some; but if anyone was collecting the Doctor Who RPG sourcebooks, Cubicle7 did confirm they're releasing a 12th Doctor one.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

York_M_Chan posted:

They are hopping around each for each day. Today is Season 1 episodes 1-11. Tomorrow is season 8.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule

I think they're scrambling the order of the Doctors. Nine, Twelve, Eleven, Ten, IIRC.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I started HRT today, so my regeneration has begun. :)

E: Typo.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 26, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I started HRT today, so my regeneration has begin. :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You've always been good people, J-Ru. Even when I was having mental breakdowns and being erratic, you were never mean to me.

Also, it's weird that people still call you J-Ru, because I started that specifically because I know a dude named Jeremiah Russo and that was his nickname and I started calling you that and it caught on. So if you hate the nickname, I apologize.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

LividLiquid posted:

That's awesome, congrats!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5zvzTcqrE

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I...really wish you hadn't shared that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Dunking on Graham Linehan is the one thing that gives me joy. :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Wait, so is Graham Linehan griping about the Doctor being a Time Lady now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He's been spending the best part of the last two or three years griping about how trans people are Cronenbergian horrors and gamergate supporters and how much of a good feminist he is.

Despite, you know, the comedy scene in his primetime comedy series "Women Are Bad At Computers" in which the CEO of a fictional company beats up his trans ex-girlfriend. For laughs. Feminism!

• Locked thread