Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

docbeard posted:

I just assume that any time McGann turns up in anything he's actually playing the Doctor with amnesia.

From a few pages back, soz -- Paul McGann has been playing a mad scientist surgeon on Holby City for months, and after a very slow burn, the crazy evil has ramped up into the stratosphere in the past couple of episodes. But no matter how sinister or OTT his storyline gets, he plays it with that quiet, soothing voice and subdued mannerisms that he does so well -- even while he's experimenting on people and doing horrific stuff to shut up anyone who might suss him out.

So far his character has been experimenting a new surgical technique on people following a flawed premise, and he doesn't give a poo poo that he's leaving behind vegetables and corpses in his wake after he mucks about in this spinal columns/brains. One of his long-time colleagues started sleuthing to figure out what the hell he's been doing; frightened by an encounter with him, she ran away, got knocked down by a car, and sustained a head injury. Dr McGann stepped in to operate and deliberately hosed up the operation to leave her with locked-in syndrome :stonk: When he was informed that she was lucid and attempting to alert the other medics via blinking, he swooped him, told everyone it was just some involuntary reaction, and then morphined her to death -- with her very aware of what he was doing, given that he was not only telling her how much he loved her and it was for her own good, but showing her the comedy-oversized injection needle before he jammed it into her IV bag :stonk: :stonk:).

The usual old lady brigade who follow the show are horrified with the storyline and complain weekly to the BBC -- all this goes out between 8 & 9pm, as well.

:iia:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

My regeneration has begin.

New thread title for when Series 11 drops?

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1045327234955923457

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

New thread title for when Series 11 drops?

I think a thread title deserves proper grammar.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Edward Mass posted:

I think a thread title deserves proper grammar.

What’s wrong with it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Doctor Zero posted:

What’s wrong with it?

‘Has’ is past tense, ‘begin’ is present tense.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some early reviews are in. The general consensus that I've read so far is that the production values are great, Jodi is fine, the shows tone has shifted a bit towards less "witty" and more "accessible".

Hot takes! Those aren't my feelings. I haven't seen anything, but I am looking forward to the change. I wonder what they mean by witty and accessible. I know no matter what happens we aren't going to have farting aliens and killer trash cans... Right?

In anticipation of the new series, I've taken my 13 Doctors figures and nerdily posed them all looking towards an opened Tardis waiting.

E:

Also it helps if I link the article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45664170

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 27, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Edward Mass posted:

‘Has’ is past tense, ‘begin’ is present tense.

Oh sorry I thought the suggestion was to use that tweet’s text. No I think it should be that exactly as written. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who Series 11 (Season 37): “Why are you asking her?” “Cause she’s in charge, bro.” seems to fit the character limit.

e: it might not actually fit

e2: it doesn’t fit

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 27, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edward Mass posted:

Doctor Who Series 11 (Season 37): “She’s in charge, bro.”

There.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When did Bradley Walsh get so old?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hot takes! Those aren't my feelings. I haven't seen anything, but I am looking forward to the change. I wonder what they mean by witty and accessible. I know no matter what happens we aren't going to have farting aliens and killer trash cans... Right?

From the article you posted, the critic in question reports:

quote:

"And on the whole it's definitely a less witty and quotable version of Who than we might have seen during the years of former showrunner Steven Moffat."

I choose to interpret this to mean "dialogue sounds less like it was written to be turned into memes" and rate this (provisionally, of course) as a positive.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

From the article you posted, the critic in question reports:

I choose to interpret this to mean "dialogue sounds less like it was written to be turned into memes" and rate this (provisionally, of course) as a positive.

I chose to read it as it’ll be funfooon!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also choose this interpretation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's one thing you can give Moffat; he was really good at writing things he knew would get turned into memes and gifs almost straight away.

It's been 12 years and people still use the term "timey-wimey".

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe, I thought "less witty" may refer to:

Rod Mcphee, The Sun posted:

She doesn't always strike the right balance between quirky geek and masterful Time Lord. And at times she comes across as irritatingly childlike...

Though from the same article

more peoples! posted:

Does this first episode get everything right, all of the time? No," said Digital Spy's Morgan Jeffrey.

"But it scores where it really counts, showing more than enough wit and flair to convince us that we're entering into a new era that'll be every bit as bold and, yes, brilliant as we'd hoped.

So if anyone's keeping track, that's less witty but definitely more than enough wit. :D Basically what I'm saying is that I love critics!

Seriously though, I am looking forward to it and now a little more so since it seems like it's getting generally positive feedback.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Wait wait wait. Guys. I’m having an existential crisis. What do we do with the line “Wonderful chaps - all of them?” :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait wait wait. Guys. I’m having an existential crisis. What do we do with the line “Wonderful chaps - all of them?” :ohdear:

Chap is like dude - it's unisex

And if it ain't, it is now

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Zero posted:

Now you bring this up, right after that new tattoo I got!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

When did Bradley Walsh get so old?

I am so looking forward to his character. For one thing, I've loved him since L&O:UK, but also because I hope he's like a male Evelyn--a cool older human who can totally keep up with the Doctor. In a world where older people get discarded and minimalized, he could do for senior citizens what Jodie is doing for women.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Ms Boods posted:

From a few pages back, soz -- Paul McGann has been playing a mad scientist surgeon on Holby City for months, and after a very slow burn, the crazy evil has ramped up into the stratosphere in the past couple of episodes. But no matter how sinister or OTT his storyline gets, he plays it with that quiet, soothing voice and subdued mannerisms that he does so well -- even while he's experimenting on people and doing horrific stuff to shut up anyone who might suss him out.

So far his character has been experimenting a new surgical technique on people following a flawed premise, and he doesn't give a poo poo that he's leaving behind vegetables and corpses in his wake after he mucks about in this spinal columns/brains. One of his long-time colleagues started sleuthing to figure out what the hell he's been doing; frightened by an encounter with him, she ran away, got knocked down by a car, and sustained a head injury. Dr McGann stepped in to operate and deliberately hosed up the operation to leave her with locked-in syndrome :stonk: When he was informed that she was lucid and attempting to alert the other medics via blinking, he swooped him, told everyone it was just some involuntary reaction, and then morphined her to death -- with her very aware of what he was doing, given that he was not only telling her how much he loved her and it was for her own good, but showing her the comedy-oversized injection needle before he jammed it into her IV bag :stonk: :stonk:).

The usual old lady brigade who follow the show are horrified with the storyline and complain weekly to the BBC -- all this goes out between 8 & 9pm, as well.

:iia:

So it's basically turned into a Holby version of the "bad doctor" sketches from Jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxM4ToLLR8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope McGann's turn as a villain doesn't push back the inevitable and EXPLICITLY PROMISED 8th Doctor Adventures TV series :ohdear:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This almost makes me want to watch Holby.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Vinylshadow posted:

Chap is like dude - it's unisex

And if it ain't, it is now

Signed!

Jerusalem posted:

I hope McGann's turn as a villain doesn't push back the inevitable and EXPLICITLY PROMISED 8th Doctor Adventures TV series :ohdear:

David_Tennant_wot.gif

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's just wishful thinking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

WHAT IF MCGANN IS THE NEW INCARNATION OF THE RANI

"I liked your face so much I decided to take it."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

It's just wishful thinking.

Yes, I wish they keep their promise to me :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, I wish they keep their promise to me :colbert:

You’re still ticked you didn’t get that promised match on Smackdown, aren’t you?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

In a world where older people get discarded and minimalized, he could do for senior citizens what Jodie is doing for women.

I thought we were supposed to hate old people because they all vote for the Tories. :D

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

I am so looking forward to his character. For one thing, I've loved him since L&O:UK, but also because I hope he's like a male Evelyn--a cool older human who can totally keep up with the Doctor. In a world where older people get discarded and minimalized, he could do for senior citizens what Jodie is doing for women.

Ouch. Walsh isn’t bus pass eligible yet

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, I know Walsh almost exclusively from The Chase (and I suppose that one episode of Lock, Stock... he was in) and he never looks so old on that.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Maelstache posted:

So it's basically turned into a Holby version of the "bad doctor" sketches from Jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKxM4ToLLR8

Ah hahahaha -- yes!

HopperUK posted:

This almost makes me want to watch Holby.

Now that truly would be evil.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Capaldi is a couple of years older than Walsh, so I don't know why he's suddenly the face of old guys everywhere

Cerv posted:

glad you posted the follow up. am I the only one who didn't recognise him from the cartoon at all?

This is his twitter avatar, so it's a flawed reproduction of a flawed reproduction but you can see where they get the bits from

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Capaldi is only a year or two older than McGann but McGann is apparently ageless.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Capaldi is only a year or two older than McGann but McGann is apparently ageless.

McGann has lived many lives worth, but the amnesia keeps him as young as ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
5 new Short Trips Rarities hit Big Finish today. $2.25 each or a $10 bundle

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cerv posted:

Ouch. Walsh isn’t bus pass eligible yet

He would be eligible for an AARP card in the US. Also they aged him up slightly for the show--he's wearing a wig with grey hair he doesn't have IRL, so I think his age will be a character trait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

You’re still ticked you didn’t get that promised match on Smackdown, aren’t you?

It's coming soon :stare:

But not as soon as the first episode of NEW DOCTOR WHO :woop:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor: Fifty-first century. Weapons factory at Villengard?
Jack: You've been to the factories?
Doctor: Once.
Jack: Well, they're gone now, destroyed. Main reactor went critical, vaporized the lot.
Doctor: Like I said. Once. There's a banana grove there now. I like bananas. Bananas are good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But the Daleks don’t use handheld weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

But the Daleks don’t use handheld weapons?

They're the Thirteen Weapons Factories of Villengard, Nightmare of the Seven Galaxies, and the Daleks took a stab at getting them during the Time War

Sonic Blasters weren't the only thing they produced

Also, aren't the Daleks' ray guns technically handheld weapons?

• Locked thread